Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Rust and Paint Problems

Comments

• If you belong to Facebook go here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000108923547&ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/ford- peelingpaint/

There you will find everything you need and get help from many who have already gone through the process. One of the members set up Fords paint programs and has all the inside information on the problem. He helped me and recently beat Ford's legal team in Dearborn Michigan across the street from Fords world headquarters.
    It is not a difficult process. You may find the address to mail from your state attorney generals office. Many state supply the information. Also put the dealer that sold you the car as a codefendant
  • obusobus Posts: 6
    Thanks Maynard but I still need the address in Dearborn MI for the process server. Does anybody know which address I use to present them with the small claims court summons and complaint?

D L O
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,978
    edited April 2012
    If you are hiring a process server, they should know or be able to help you find out. Maybe this link will help if you are serving by mail. Or look up another case in the court index where someone has sued Ford and see what address they used. There's probably a registered agent in your state, if you aren't in Michigan. Maybe the corporations section of your state government has that info.

You could just call Ford and ask - may have to go through a few menus or CSRs to get there.
  • ggoodyearggoodyear Posts: 1
    Tell me why does it matter that I am not the original owner?? The original owner yes bought it off the showroom but kept it less than a year!! I have owned this truck for 3 years. Why with in 3years is my paint peeling on the tailgate and hood??? As you would expect FORD could care less!!! Needless to say this was the 2nd Expedition I purchased and it will be the last!!!! What can I do??? I heard it has something to do with when it was painted originally. Apparently, during the process something got stuck to the body and is now causing this!!! HELP!!!
  • It does not matter if you are the original owner. Pre-owned Expedition and Mustang owners have won in California, New Jersey and Michigan on this issue in small claims court. The information is out there. Many documents exist on the Ford Mercury Peeling Paint Facebook site in which owners have used and have successfully won.
  • maynardjwmaynardjw Posts: 9
    Add Massachusetts to the list of people who have won. If you are on Facebook check out:
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/fordpeelingpaint/

Here you will all the information you need. Sue for sheet metal replacement as well. The sheet metal (aluminum) is contaminated with iron from the stamping process and will blister again. Mine did. Getting a check for 5k sure makes the pain go away. Start taking pictures to document the blistering. Get a few estimates and get at least one from a Ford autobody.
    The Dearborn MI win (down the street from Ford Headquarters) was originally thrown out and she appealed. Ford sent in their legal team and lost.
  • rocky1959rocky1959 Posts: 1
    Hello I live in Lake Ariel PA I have a 2004 Ford Expedition Eddy Bauer. I have a problem on the hood paint peeling and on the tailgate. I also have minor rust top of doors and sunroof. I have a major problem driver side rocker panel corroded where I live they use cinder not salt from what I have seen many have these problems when I called ford they say they didn't hear that there is a lot of problems with this they blatenly lied anyone have suggestions
  • I have a 2008 Ford Expedition that has paint bubbling under the front hood, by the rear license, under the rear door, and two of the passenger doors. My claim to Ford was refused. I can't believe Ford is content with a $40,000 vehicle having paint bubble in less than four years. Is that how long paint should last?

See you in court, Ford.
  • I also have a 2008 Ford Expedition EL that has paint bubbling on the hatch back and have 40,000 miles on it. When under 3/3600 they authorized repainting the hood twice. Now, they told me today that the warrantee will not cover the hatch back where the paint is bubbling above the license plate chrome. I told the CS rep, Kerri, that I have always owned Ford products and currently own 3 with my son owning 5. It makes no difference. She was very clear in telling me that her decision is "final". Great way to honor product loyalty. I am hoping to be able to sue them in small claims court. The Ford body shop gave me an estimate of $731.36. I gave her those numbers. I am absolutely disgusted with their attitude.
  • 2010 Ford Expedition. This is my second one. first one was great, no major problems or issues, however, this one, which we have owned about 2 years, has exceeded 40,000 miles. We noticed paint bubbling just above the chrome trim above the rear license plate area, similar to yours. I called Ford and they directed me to the local dealer who took pics and sent it in. I was promptly refused any consideration for the repair of the defect. I followed up with a demand for a supervisor who was very apologetic, and he will review with a committee at Ford to see if they can help. "you will be contacted either by the Ford Body Shop or a Ford representative". I got a call from the representative at my local dealer ship who states he went to the mat for me, the repair amount is $731.36 and Ford is willing to pay $300 of it. I told him to take the $300 and keep it. I am making my Ford a Billboard for everyone to see how Ford takes care of its loyal customers. :)
  • bamiotbamiot Posts: 1
    Just throwing my hat into the ring -- bubbling paint on the hood and tailgate. We purchased the car new, and I bought the full bull bumper to bumper warranty covering 100K or 5 years. Ford offered me $400 to fix what really is a $2,000+ job. Ford should be ashamed. My first Ford purchase, too. Love the truck, hate the paint and the way Ford (and our local dealers) are handling the situation.l

Anyone pursued a class action? Have you heard? That seems like the smart/easy approach.
    I gave up on the individual suit. Too expensive and time consuming. If anyone knows of a class action suit I will be glad to join. I now have 100k miles on the 2008 and it runs like a dream...but I will have to fork over about $1200 sometime soon to get the hood and tailgate repainted. I understand that Ford claims no responsibility as there is a subcontractor painting the vehicles within the Ford plant. Nice. I have had Fords since my first Model A in 1965 and never had this sort of problem that a 4 year old vehicle has peeling paint. The local Ford Dealer told me they have to repaint EVERY Ford Expy that comes in used before they can sell it. So the dealers are getting screwed as well.
  • alalalpalalalp Posts: 3
    Is there any way to tell if an Expedition ever had, or is likely to develop the bubbling paint issue? I know that you can see the bubbling on the back lift and hood, both on the outside as well as the underneath, but I am concerned that it might have been painted and will come back. I have looked at bunch of 07 and 08 Expy EL's and all had the issue except one (or it was painted by the previous owner). But the strange thing was that it was the only one of the bunch that was manufactured in the previous model year (2006). I've been reading up on this issue all over the place and still am thinking about taking the plunge. I love the room and the ride, but I don't want to shell out almost $20k for a 6 year old vehicle with 70 - 100k miles on it and have the paint blistering. I know there are people who have sued Ford and won, but I am not sure that I would be able to do that if I bought the EL knowing about the bubbling paint. All I could do is either ask the dealer to repair it or knock some money off the price. I would prefer to buy one that doesn't have the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Easy Answer...if it doesnt show bubbling it has been repaired. ALL Expy's from 2000 olr so onward have this problem. If the vehicle has an aluminum hood and aluminum tailgate it will bubble. If it is done correctly following the Ford TSB the repair should not come back. Should is the operative word. Live with it or dont buy one. If it hasnt blistered by 70K miles it just may not. Mine started at 75K miles. Expect to pay about $1500 for the repair. So there is your final deduct for the purchase. If you decide to sue; it will take a lot of your time and effort but you would probably win. I just bit the bullet and will have mine painted and pay for it and write it off. Still the best large SUV out there for room, ride, etc. I have now 110K miles on mine.
    I have narrowed my search for a 2007 Expedition EL to 2 vehicles, one with the Load Leveling System and one without. Both have the heavy duty tow package and I will be hauling our 5,500 lb, 31' Forest River Surveyor SV-294 travel trailer. We will be using the EL for more than just camping. Is there anything that should make me decide one way or the other concerning the LLS? I've read that they are expensive to repair. Can they be converted to coil suspension? Are there lift kits available for it if I need it for towing? Our Forest River road low to the ground and I had to put a 3 inch lift kit on it in order back it up our inclined driveway without scraping the bottom. This was with our Ford E350 Super Duty, which road pretty high off the ground. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Thanks Obus. I know bubbling paint doesn't look very nice, but dings and dents never bothered me on a car, so I don't think bubbling paint will. As long as it doesn't rust through. I'm more concerned with the reliability of it getting us where we need to go safely. GM has the only other vehicle with the room and size to do what we are looking to do, but after many many GMs, I've gotten burnt one too many times with their lack of quality and won't go back. My Ford E350 has held up very well, which is the reason I've decided to pursue the Expedition.
    The Expy will sag a LOT more than the E350 as it has a F150 frame. Bear that in mind. The rear shocks are special and expensive on the standard EXPY with the roll stability SRS system and REALLY more expensive with the load leveller system. Price them and you will see. It wont rust through as aluminum doesnt rust. And thats how Ford weasels out of the "perforation" paint/metal warranty on the tail gate and hoods. As they are aluminum and dont perforate. They just shed the paint and get chalky. Nice thing about the EXPY EL is you can put a number of full size 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or paneling and still close the tail gate as Ford has the patented fold down flat 3rd seat. You have to horse the 3rd seat out of a GM big suv as it wont fold flat. I would find out if the LLS really will bring the hitch ball back up to where you want it...ask a Ford Dealer..and be sure to tell him your trailer weight (with all the gear in it). Good Luck.
  • The frame isn't what determines the sag, it isn't like the frame bends. It is the suspension which determines that, and since 03 the Expedition has departed from shared hardware with the F150 since it has the IRS. That said, the LLS has a limited service life before it needs attention. It would seem that 5 or 6 problem free years is what you get. It can be converted to coils later on, but it is an expense. The shocks for the LLS are around $200 each, for standard suspension between $80-$120 depending on manufacturer. I've never seen a special call out for specific shocks to be used for the RSC system -at least not up through 2010.
  • same issues on my 2008 Limited.... bought new and paid $50k+ for the vehicle. First had an issue with bubble on the tailgate. Ford DID fix this issue as we continued to escalate with their customer service team. however, I now have severe bubbles on the hood. From what I've seen I dont see them taking any action to help. Its a shame as these are the things that could help Ford develop a lifetime customer. given the fact they are unwilling to recgonize and address the quality issue I will likely jump to another MFR.
  • bebyseabebysea Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Expedition EL Limited. Rust and corrosion on tailgate. I too have searched blogs and found Ford to have cross-contamination in the aluminum. I drove snowmobiles for thirty years with an aluminum chassis in every type of moisture known without ever a hint of rust. Aluminum does not rust. I bought the car certified which includes one of the certification policies of ' no paint defects'. Ford stated they had nothing to do with the program and it was up to the dealer. The dealer stated, I got the best deal, what did I expect. Took it to another dealer who said he would bring the rep in to look at it. He cancelled once, then twice, then just said the car was in an accident and was repainted. (his reason was the hitch was repainted). Finally repaired it myself. Then last summer while in Canada, my sister's 08 Lincoln Navigator has, you guessed it had a rusted lift gate. I too heard of the bulletin and talked to Ford auto body managers and know that the bulletin even suggests how to repair their problem, but they will not issue a recall. Well to make matters worse now all my rocker panels and the door thresholds are rusted out with actual rust holes and I am ready for round 2. Worse than being wrong is not admitting it, my parents taught me that. I will never buy another Ford again due to their lack of old fashioned integrity. I will also advise my 3 kids to never buy one. It appears Ford will loose generations of business to save a few bucks from their mistakes. By the way I have owned a 66', 76, 79, 86, 87, 92, 96, 07, and numerous Ford trucks between 95 and 03 for business, never again.