Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
Share your Yaris purchase experience here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• zzkzzk Posts: 2
    I just ordered a grey (meteorite) hatchback. I loaded it up a bit. I got the convenience package, side airbags, power package, automatic, foglights, abs, split rear seat, spoiler, 15" alloy wheels, and mud guards and matts.

Working with the dealership was an adventure. They had no clue as to what I could get and when. I put 500.00 down towards the 15,600 (ouch!) sticker price. I felt I had no leverage to negotiate since I was working them hard just to order it for me!

It took them over a week to check on the car. They called and said the only way I could get the car was to order it from Japan. "It might take four months to come in." I went ahead with the order. The first time I ever ordered a car. I hope they deliver without any fast-shuffle games. Any comments out there about ordering from Toyota? Comments in general? Thanks
  • fooberfoober Posts: 21
    If I were you I'd check each week with the allotment guy at your dealership to see what is out there. From what I've heard you may have a very long wait if you plan on ordering one that they'll make special in japan.

I finally got one sort of close to what I wanted. A silver hatchback. But I had to get some stuff added onto it that I didn't really want. But i'm pretty assured I'll have it in 3 or 4 weeks. I went down to my dealership every week and the allotment guy searched what was available and finally found the one sort of close to the one I wanted.
  • rxbrxb Posts: 6
    I've made repeated phone calls to a NYC Toyota dealer who insists that Toyota isn't manufacturing the hatchback with side airbags. I said, ok, maybe not in current inventory, but can I order one? He insisted that they just don't make them that way. ZZK, are you really getting a hatchback with side airbags? Does anyone know how I can get one in New York? (I also want manual 5-speed, the power package, anti-lock brakes and keyless entry).
  • fooberfoober Posts: 21
    your nyc toyota dealer is not telling you the truth. Or thier out to lunch. All you can buy here in the northwest are liftbacks with side air bags right now. At least thats all the liftbacks that were on the latest allotment.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    The NYC dealer may be telling the truth. With Toyota, different regions have different options available for their region. I ran into this with the Prius a few years ago when I ordered one. Maybe the NY region is not getting any hatchbacks with side bags.
  • tyggertygger Posts: 59
    Going by edmund's price figures, are you guys paying closer to MSRP or Invoice?

I got quoted $15,150 for a Yaris sedan, auto trans, Power package and keyless entry system. This quote doesn't include processing fee of $225, tax of 3.2% and tags of $80.

Final out the door price is approx. $16,000.

Do you think the price can be better?

Thanks
  • tyggertygger Posts: 59
    Great topic.

I haven't purchased one yet... but the best price quote I've gotten so far is $14,650 + processing fee, tax and tags for a base Yaris sedan w/ Power package.
  • ronald711ronald711 Posts: 44
    No sticker is pretty mcuh what you will pay inititally, and its only about $700 to $800 over invoice, so there is not a huge mark up. B/utgrab the car while you can and start saving on gas :-) Its $2.95 here in Lexington today for regular unleaded. Edmunds says people are paying invoice so I was okay to do the same, plus they are ordering the car the way I want and we locked in a deal on my trade if I dont sell it outright before then :-)
  • rewjrrewjr Posts: 1
    I went to SE Toyota web inventory and selected the car I wanted. (truth is a lot of them were not actually in inventory yet, but on the way or in port)

Mine is an S sedan with 5 speed and no options.

MSRP was 13973.00 Invoice was 13,600.00

Plus most of the dealers around here get a "dealer fee" and they all claim that it's not negotiable.

Any way, I offered 12,700.00 plus tax, tag, and dealer fee of 500.00

Final total 14087.00 out the door. So basically I bought the car for invoice.
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    Paid MSRP of $12,498 plus $299 doc fee plus taxes at Wolfchase Toyota in Memphis for 5-speed manual hatchback. These are fairly hard to find around here, didn't want to take a chance on loosing it to someone else. :)
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    I went into the dealership and was told that of all the dealers in Northern CA, there'd only be 23 Hatchbacks shipped in. Total, for the region.

So I'm amused that everyone in this thread seems to be talking about the liftbacks.

(I wound up with an Elantra 5-door, and am silly happy with it.)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Looks like a broker, why not just go directly to a dealer? I have shopped the Yaris a little and $250 to $600 over invoice is typical - although the spread between invoice and MSRP isn't much on these - on a stripped model there's only $600 in it (not counting holdback etc.).
  • ronald711ronald711 Posts: 44
    I ordered my Yaris from Japan also, on April 11th, they advised me 6 to 8 weeks, its been 4 and they have not heard anything. They advised me that once it hits port its about 3 to 4 weeks, so Im thinking its going to be close to the 8 weeks, I will not accept 4 months. If they have problems getting it to me in the timeframe they quote I may decide to purchase a Corolla or if they get a Yaris close to my features, I may change to one that is available. I ordered a base flint mica with power windows, locks, keyless, security, and ABS as major options.
  • I am picking up my Yaris S/Auto on Friday. Have not negotiated the price yet. I am trading in my 2005 tc/Auto with 25,000 miles.

I am going to offer $16,500 (sticker is $17,051)for the Yaris S, want $14,000 for the tC (Edmunds has right around $14,000 but I also have the TRD exhaust which costs $400), and also ask for free oil/tire changes for life of car (as long as I am owner).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    The Yaris is an overpriced $10K car. I don't know why anyone would pay $15K for this car when you could get a nicely equipped year old Corolla (which is leaps and bounds a nicer car) for the same or less money. Honda is apparently on the same drugs with the pricing of their Fit, which is also an overpriced $10K car.
  • Disagree. Had a Corolla for five years. Basically a great vanilla type car with no styling. The Yaris S provides a very nice looking car with the same interior space as the Corolla but at 39MPGs. And you can touch a Corolla S (year old) for cheap.

Both cars are very very good. I went with the Yaris due to MPGs and styling. And you see a ton of Corollas on the road whereas the Yaris is very uncommon and different.

Kevin
  • camaicamai Posts: 5
    Just picked up the second of two Yaris liftbacks for my "kids" for use at college. Both are automatics equipped with the convenience package (CQ), extra mile option package A (AO), and passenger arm rest (CR). Would have liked to have ABS and side curtain airbags but that would have meant a 4-5 month delay. We placed our order 4/5/06 and picked the cars up 5/9 and 5/10/06. Agreed price was $225 off MSRP. I've been tracking inventory activity (only the liftback automatics)since placing my order and here in the Houston area it looks like stock is holding steady around 7 units, with sales of 1-2 units a week. I'm happy and I love the cars. I will be driving one to California at the end of the month, so I'll report back on the Owner Test forum.
  • Congrats on getting the Yaris twins. Were you able to get the $225 off MSRP by buying two? I think for this car anything off MSRP is a pretty good deal.

Kevin
  • well, here in the northeast, you can only get the yaris hatchback, with the convenient package, and the all weather/coldweather package. no side curtain airbags, no abs brakes. so the dealer gives me an msrp for that car with those options, plus 580$ destination charge. for 13170. hi invoice price was about 12400. he told me he couldnt go lower than the msrp. i laughted, and he balked back, "what do you want me to do? go downa hundred?" and i replied, what do you want me to do? pay the full MSRP???!! so i walked out. i went to another dealer and he had one on order, coming in two weeks, instead of the 6 to 8 weeks. i said if you can garuntee that in two weeks we got a deal. kerpow, he said its a coming, so i said 13000 is what i want it for. got it! cant wait to see it!
  • reddroverrreddroverr Posts: 509
    now that your kids are off at college....will you adopt me? ;)