Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=219375

Of course, the North American version has yet to be seen, but it should be pretty close to this. Hope they do a re-think on the name, though. What's up with "Rondo"?
    The "whatcar" preview mentions a 2 litre 4 cyl as well as the requisite diesels for the European market. I'm hoping for North America that they put in the new Optima's 2.4l 4cyl with 5 speed auto combination, as this will better the Mazda5's power (161 hp/163 lb/ft torque), # of gears(5), and if the Optima's mileage is any indication (24/34 US or 29/40 imperial), it will better the Mazda5's fuel economy as well.
    Here's a gallery for the whatcar preview. The European version should be fairly close the the version we will get (the Korean version gets a different front end).
    http://www.whatcar.com/popups/gallery.aspx?NA=219375&EL=3155229
    TOV is mentioning that the Honda Latitude (that was supposed to be here years ago) may finally be in the cards for North America, as a new Stream is imminent for the Japanese market. So people in the market for a small, efficient, multi-space vehicle may soon have a choice of 3:
    Rondo, Mazda5 or Latitude!
    Vince Burlap/Hollywood extra has some pics of the Korean version. The exterior is nothing to write home about, though the European/North American versions do look a little better than the Korean one. The interior looks well done, however, and overall, it should provide the Mazda5 (and Honda's Stream/Latitude, if we ever get it) with some good competition.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    any idea of the exterior dimensions?
    In Korean spec., 1-3" taller than the Mazda5, 2" wider than the '5', though the '5' is about 2" longer. (The length spec. may be misleading, for when they fit bumpers to our North American crash protection standards, the length of the Rondo will probably increase by a couple of inches). Suffice to say, it's about the same as the mazda5, only a little wider and taller. (180l/72w/66h)
    This time, the 'Euro' version, which should be more or less identical to what we'll get in North America, savwe for the powertrains.
    http://www.repubblica.it/2004/b/motori/gallerie/kia/carens2/carens2.html
  • jtzjtz Posts: 37
    Which is bigger Sportage or Rondo?
    What is its towing capacity?
    Does it have an optional power liftgate?
    Will it have an optional DVD?
    Will it have memory seatings?
    If the Rondo is bigger than Sportage, why will Kia be selling the Rondo for less?
    Why is the Rondo in the same class as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe? Where does that put the Spectra 5?
    What are all its colors?
    Dodge just came out with a new vehicle, is that model in the same class as the Rondo?
    Why is this more like a P.T Cruiser and not like a Pacifica?

I know all these questions will not get answered; however, I want to know more about this model.
    Which is bigger Sportage or Rondo?
    Rondo is 8-9" longer, an inch wider and about the same height
    What is its towing capacity?
    Don't know at this point
    Does it have an optional power liftgate?
    Doubtful
    Will it have an optional DVD?
    Doubtful
    Will it have memory seatings?
    Don't know
    If the Rondo is bigger than Sportage, why will Kia be selling the Rondo for less?
    Don't know the price, but it should be competetive
    or maybe even less than the Mazda5, it's main competition
    Why is the Rondo in the same class as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe?
    It's somewhat larger than the Matrix/Vibe and offers 7 seats
    Where does that put the Spectra 5?
    Spectra5 is a 5-door hatch, 5 seater, car-type vehicle
    Rondo/Carens is a 5-7 seater "crossover"
    What are all its colors?
    Don't know but you can check the Korean website for what's available there
    Dodge just came out with a new vehicle, is that model in the same class as the Rondo?
    Sort of, but the Caliber doesn't offer seating for 7
    Why is this more like a P.T Cruiser and not like a Pacifica?
    I'd say it's more like a Pacifica, only more compact.
    Will the American version have dual exhaust?

Is the 3rd row seating designed for just children or children and adults? (are they comfortable for adults?)

Like the 07' Sante Fe, will the Rondo have rain sensing wipers?
    The fronts of the Korean and European versions look different. (The European version looks better to me) will the Rondo look like Europe's or will it also have a different face?
    I seen on photo what appears to be skylight. Not like the Multi-S but more like another sunroof. I need another person's opinion. In addition, if this is a sunroof will it be aimed to N. America?

http://motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=1828&fPicId=84567
    All questions to be answered by Kia in the upcoming months, I guess. The Rondo should be here by late 2006/early 2007. I would imagine we'll get the "Euro" front end...it does look better. The 3rd row was designed to fit persons 1.8 m tall (I beleive that's 6'), so like the Mazda5, adults will fit in the 3rd row but it's probably more comfortable for kids. It should be out in Europe by Sept., so perhaps more info will trickle through then.
  • New Kia Carens website (Korea)

Dimensions are length 4545mm/179", wheelbase 2700mm/106", height 1650mm/65", width 1570mm/71.6". Curb weight is between 1563-1642kg/3400-3600lbs with domestic market 2.0L gas & diesel engines. The NA version is supposed to have 2.4L I4 and 2.7L V6 engines.

Compared to Mazda5: 2" shorter, 1" shorter wheelbase, 1" taller, 2.6" wider, rougly a few to 100lbs heavier.
    Since you found this info from the www.kia.co.kr website, what is the fuel economy of the 07 Amanti, Sorento and Rondo/Carens?

How much hp does the 07 Amanti have? I heard it has 262 horses ,but I am not certain.
  • The only thing I was able to get off the web site were the metric numbers, and convert them to English - sorry. I can't ready any language besides English. :(
  • I'm not sure if anyone is still following along on this forum, but I have been trying to dig up info on the Carens/Rondo (hate that name) and stumbled across the UK site the other day. I'm not sure how to post URLs here, but here is the addy: http://www.kia.co.uk/carenshome.asp?flash=true

Hope to hear more on the estimated MPG soon.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Saturday (Nov 11) I stumbled upon a rather nice looking mini-minivan at the Kia dealer they had just received. It is called the Ronda. The very spacious interior layout was looked great, power is a 2.4L engine, & it had a full suite of safety features including 6 airbags, ABS, traction control, & dynamic stability control all for a little over $18K. My inital impression was very positive.

See Mazda5 vs Kia Rondo for more recent posts.