Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid: Ordering Process

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Just remember that buyers anxious for a new car, and accepting those "wrong" orders is what encourages such behavior.

I would never spend that kind of money and feel any pressure whatsoever to accept a color (interior or exterior) I didn't really want. Unless the dealer was willing to knock off 1K for me to do so. ;)
  • flopshotflopshot Posts: 14
    While I agree with you in principle that accepting wrong orders encourages this poor attitude by dealers, the harsh reality is that the dealer could probably sell that car off the lot later that day at MSRP. (I went to my dealer yesterday to cancel a prepaid maintenance plan, and he said "hey, if you want to sell us back the car too, I've got 10 people that want it") So from a bottom-line perspective, there is no incentive to give you a discount for this wrong order, they will simply offer to reorder the car for you. Of course that dealership might lose your customer loyalty, but they would simply replace your loyalty with the next customer that buys the hybrid later that day, and they end up even.
  • aliminalimin Posts: 74
    I'm a long-time Toyota owner - the TCH will be my 7th Toyota since 1980 - so I am familiar with the company and product line. But nothing in the car business has excited me more than the new TCH. At first, my local dealer said he wouldn't have any until December. Then, he e-mailed and said they had an "extra" Jasper Pearl with heated mirrors allocated to them scheduled to arrive in September. And since I wanted the $2,600 tax credit (I think I will qualify), it was an easy decision. Yes, it'll be MSRP, but I look forward to using much less gas (I have an '05 Sequoia - though for its size it's probably the class leader in mpg) and sharing my experiences here. Thanks in advance for the advice and tips!
    Congratulations! :)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Having had 4 Camry's since 1989 and now a Prius ( along with the Highlander and MR2 ) I agree with you wholeheartedly about this new TCH. It's breathtakingly advanced over any Camry ever. I'm certain that you'll love it.

Toyota's problem is voiced in their recent in-house motto for this Gen.. 'There is no best only better'
  • umpire63umpire63 Posts: 19
    I can get two sets of clubs in my trunk--three if I cram them. I have a walking bag, not a cart bag. There is just enough room lengthwise
  • From what I see on this forum, people are paying from MSRP
    to about 750 below MSRP. I am not that eager to pay MSRP
    when there are alternatives. But, I do want to give it a
    serious thought to buying TCH. I donot mind waiting for
    some months.

Would anyone venture a guess w.r.t Pricing in about 6 months ? Will the demand continue to be as it has been ?
    What impact will the reduced tax credit have on the demand
    and the price ?
    Will Toyota increase the supply/production ?

Any informed opinions/comments ?

-GM
    Let me copy this post from another forum...

#5082 of 5082 Camry Hybrid & V6 by yerth10 Sep 01, 2006 (2:20 pm)

Incentives apart, there is lot of motive to buy a Camry Hybrid compared to [Camry] V6.

It costs only 3 K more than V6 model and will get that money very quickly since V6 will give a very low mileage.

As for the pickup, Hybrid is just 1 second slower, but it has a longer range, more smooth ride and lot of show off and green image.

Spread out over even 5 years, you paying MSRP, and the price of gasoline continuing to go up over the years, I don't think you would have paid, in real dollars, any more than buying a non-hybrid at $1500/$2000 below MSRP. :)
    Using the Prius as a yardstick, it held ( is holding MSRP ) into it's 4th year. Some places there are still over-MSRP addendums apparently and in some places there are discounts.

Waiting. Depending on which trim you want, waiting may be the only option. The loaded up versions are scarce to non-existant. There are likley standard versions available even with a possible discount now.

With only 29 days left to get the full $2600 rebate getting a loaded one is very very likely impossible by 9-30. In 6 months? Again it depends on the market and whether it want's the higher trim over the standard version.

Production at Georgetown KY is supposed to begin this month for arrival in Oct/Nov. The expectation is that sales will be 80,000-100,000 annually which is the same as the Prius.

IMO if you want a standard version negotiate a good price, get it now and take the $2600 from Uncle Sam. After 9-30 you will have to negotiate a $1300 better deal than you do this month. That might take some doing.

If you want a loaded up version you have little or no choice but wait.
  • $30,000+ for a Camry? I know it gets great gas milage and all, but does that not seem steep for a mid sized sedan? I have driven the XLE V-6 and it was nice, but not $30,000 nice. You can get a very nice used lexus at that price or less.

How long do you estimate it will take to recoup the extra cost associated with a hybrid, even at current gas prices?
    :confuse:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
    MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price (excludes destination charge) $25,900 $23,310

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
    What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price
    $25,900 $23,310 $27,925
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - $0
    Optional Equipment $3,000 $3,172 $3,712
    LA Leather Package $1,300 $1,040 $1,300
    NV Navigation System $1,200 $1,020 $1,200
    CQ Convenience Package $470 $376 $470
    HM Heated Mirrors $30 $24 $30
    -- SET Destination Charge $0 $712 $712
    Color Adjustment - - $0
    Desert Sand Mica
    Destination Charge $620 $620 $620
    Total with Options $29,520 $27,102 $32,257

TOYOTA CAMRY 4 CYL GAS ENGINE XLE:

2007 Toyota Camry
    XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
    MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price (excludes destination charge)
    $24,700 $21,983

2007 Toyota Camry
    XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
    What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees $24,700 $21,983 $24,697
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - $0
    Optional Equipment $4,120 $3,312 $4,120
    LA Leather Package $1,300 $1,040 $1,300
    NV Navigation System $1,200 $1,020 $1,200
    VS Vehicle Stability Control $650 $520 $650
    Z1 Preferred Premium Accessory Package $475 $325 $475
    HD Heated Front Seats $440 $352 $440
    -- SET Destination Charge $55 $55 $55
    IZ Fleet Convenience Package $0 $0 $0
    FE 50 State Emissions $0 $0 $0
    Color Adjustment - - $0
    Desert Sand Mica
    Destination Charge $620 $620 $620
    Total with Options $29,440 $25,915 $29,437

IMO the $3,300 price difference could be made up in a year, for some two, in gasoline savings alone.

Of course some may prefer a USED Lexus over better technology...and a new car. That is whats great about America! Freedom of choice and thought!
    :)
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    You can get a very nice used lexus at that price or less.

You can get a very nice "used" Camry for a whole lot less. Most people looking for a new car don't consider a "used" luxury car as an alternative.

However remember after tax credits I have less than $24,000 in my NEW Camry that is averaging 39 MPG. If I wanted a used luxury car I'd have kept the Infiniti FX45 that I traded.
  • Again, it appears that people are paying $30,000 for a TCH. I understand $24k for a Camry. you can get a very nice new Camry for $24k. Why would someone pay 30k to get a hybrid? Please don't tell me that a new Camry can compare to your infinity
    Look, you are not "average" and obviously cannot be convinced of the advantages of Hybrids, even though even Consumer Reports recently changed its mind, and says they are cost effective, and pay for themselves.

The actual cost of the Hybrid Camry over a "regular" one, comparably equipped, is less than $4,000. All the other costs are for leather, navigation, convinence groups, etc. THOSE ARE THINGS PEOPLE WANT. ;)
    This is a basic question that every buyer must ask themselves.

Yes you can get a nice new Camry for $24K but you cannot get all the same features and benefits as in a $30K hybrid Camry.

If what you want as a buyer is a nice Camry then by all means the standard version is for you. If you want a version that has all the best features and V6 power and the fuel economy of a Corolla then the TCH is for you. This is one of the best parts of the product strategy. There are so many appealing choices for so many different segments of the market.

BTW you can also get a very nice TCH with V6 power and the superior fuel economy for just under $27,000. In fact it's easier to get this trim than the loaded trim.
    Please don't tell me that a new Camry can compare to your infinity

I meant to say my Hybrid Camry. Still after now driving it for a while I will say that even without the tax credits I would now be willing to pay more.

No my Camry is not as nice as my Infiniti. However I have always traded cars often, a bad habit maybe, but one that millions of other americans also has. A good used luxury car probably is always a better value than a $30,000 new car. Can't argue that. However millions of americans buy new cars every year even though there are millions of used luxury cars available at the same cost. Logical? Probably not. Fact is a lot of people just don't want to drive a car around that is more than three years old. Other fact is that if millions of people didn't buy new cars this economy would hit the dumps. I also traded my lawn mower and my cell phone this year. However my new John Deer is a LOT nicer than my old Husky.

I honestly can't win an argument when I agree with you that a used car is a better value. It just about always is. It's just not my way and I can aford new cars so that's what I drive.

By the way after 3 BMW's, an Audi and an Infiniti I am happay to get away from high maintenance costs. That's a real waste as well
  • I got a loaded TCH last week.

I waited 4 months at my local dealer, who called me twice to say a red one was coming, but stated some other dealer had spoken for it a few days later.

I bought the TCH from a second dealer. They located one a few days after I got in line. From then, took four weeks to arrive at the dealership. It sounds like Toyota dealers will do anything to secure one of these vehicles. Both offered MSRP for it--no markup.

My father owns a Lexus 430, 2000 I think, and I have driven it quite a bit. While the leather is a bit comfier, and the engine a bit peppier up steep hills, and the trunk a bit bigger, the TCH has quite a few advantages: around 15 MPG, a better stereo system, bluetooth, quieter at low speeds. Even for a Lexus driver, the TCH is impressive. Most impressive of all, the TCH teaches you how to drive efficiently--a paradigm shift for a man driving 20K miles a year. I see the road, and getting from place to place, in a whole new way.

Bet you can get one near invoice next spring, when the Kentucky plant will be in full production, and other mid-sized sedans (Saturn Aura, Nissan Altima) may come in hybrid drive trains.
  • What is this $30k TCH you're talking about? You don't need to spend that to get a TCH. If you want one with absolutely every option known to man, sure, but hey, the Accord Hybrid which is quite frankly not up to the TCH standard stickers for $31 at that level.

You have to understand that the standard equipment level of a TCH is almost equivalent to XLE on a regular Camry. Every single TCH has an upgraded 440 watt JBL 6 disc/mp3 stereo system, standard bluetooth, standard auto dual climate, etc. On my car, I added a sunroof and mirror package. I paid $26500, NOT including a $2600 rebate. So I too am paying $24k. Really not anymore than a "regular" Camry equipped the same way would be---only I'm getting 35 mpg on a car that I'm fairly certain won't depreciate much.

If you want leather, nav system, etc, sure, you may be looking at close to $30k, but that's true for every midsize car with that level of equipment.
    Exactly, mfletou1, exactly. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    NOT including a $2600 rebate.

Is this rebate a rebate to dealer or to consumer?
    The incorrect word was used. Not a "rebate".

Until the end of this month, purchasers of Hybrids get a $2600 tax credit on their 2007 Income Tax. ;)
  • Until the end of this month, purchasers of Hybrids get a $2600 tax credit on their 2007 Income Tax.

It's actually a credit on your 2006 federal income tax, the return for which will be filed (by most people) in 2007.

Just thought of a question and I'm too lazy to go look it up...I know the hybrid vehicle has to be put into service after January 1, 2006 but is the credit still good on vehicles purchased in say, 2007, if the manufacturer doesn't hit 60,000 in 2006?
    Well, in my world, 2007 taxes are the year I do them in.... :P

No, I don't think it works that way....you have to claim the credit on the tax year it was specified in. I am fairly confident Congress will extend or offer a new scheme when they get back from the Novemember elections, to make themselves look good for the 2008 elections. ;)
    but is the credit still good on vehicles purchased in say, 2007, if the manufacturer doesn't hit 60,000 in 2006?

The credit is appliued to the year of purchase. For the TCH it's $2600 against your 2006 taxes (which you file the papers in 2007). It goes down to $1300 at the end of the month.

For car makers who have not made 60,000 cars the credit stays the same until they meet the 60,000 mark. I don't know what the various credits are but say a Ford Escape Hybrid is $1200 now, then it will be $1200 this year or next or untill the law is no longer in effect or until they hit the 60,000 mark (a while from now) which ever is sooner. They it will drop similar to the TCH
    From what I understand, Toyota will have hit the threshold by the end of this month...so the tax credit for them will end.
    From what I understand, Toyota will have hit the threshold by the end of this month...so the tax credit for them will end.

It gets cut to $1300.
    Cool!

Thanks for the right answer, GasGuy! :)
    Actually Toyota hit the 60,000 mark at the end of May.

The way the law is written everyone who purchased a vehicle in that quarter and the following quarter are entitled to the full credit ( subject to their personal tax situation ). This is why Sept 30th is the last day for the full credit. On deliveries beginning 10-1 the credit is $1300 through March 31, 2007. Then $650 through 9-30-07

Vehicles put in service this year can apply the credit to their tax liability for TY 2006. Those taking delivery on 1-1-07 will have to wait a year.
    Thank you for the details! I am bookmarking it. :)
    ... or cannot find a loaded TCH before the full tax credit expires in 3 days... contact me by email. ( in my profile ).
This discussion has been closed.