Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid: Ordering Process

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The ICE Camry is supplied nearly 100% from KY, 95%? so it's less of a consideration. I believe the now after the initial launch of the ICE's that mainly the 5 spd Man Camry's will come from Japan. Occasionally a J-Vin does arrive but it pretty rare.
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Member Posts: 31
    I started to compose an email to the dealer/salesman to ask if this car was actually allocated to his inventory but didn't want to seem to be doubting him. (not a very assertive customer). In his email he said. "Your car should be here middle to end of June.  Here are the specs:" followed by the screen shot of the inventory inquiry. There is no "STATUS" field on the screen but there is a Category field that contains an "A". below that is a current dealer field with a number but I don't know the dealer codes. There's also a previous dealer field containing the first 3 characters of the current dealer code. There's also an allocation number of 052. I would just paste it into this post but don't think it would be kosher and might get the salesman in trouble.

It's is interesting that a previous poster mentioned vehicles destined for the midwest would come through portland. The screen shot shows the vessel name of Pegasus. I did a google search and found a container ship of that name from california.

I tend to agree that the dealer is being responsive and I believe truthful. But on second thought I am going to ask.

Thanks
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    Why are we such an intimadate people? If the sales person didn't want you know, he wouldn't have sent the information. If you don't understand, ask him to explain.
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to stop by my dealer and ask if they know the status code.

A week ago my dealer gave me a VIN, said that the PIOs I requested had been installed, and it was in California waiting to get on a train to Chicago. I was told it might be here by the end of the month, so I'm hoping it will be in F status by now.
    The salesman said that the vehicle has been added to their inventory so I'm good to go.

BTW: Last time I admit to having some some weakness in this forum. By the way re-read your first sentence maybe yours is either spelling, typing, or proof reading. ;-)
    Thanks for the spelling correction. I hope you didn't take my comment too personally. It was intended as support to many others similarly intimidated (sp?). We are paying good money, no need to be afraid to ask questions. Congrats on your car.
  • djpdx1djpdx1 Member Posts: 30
    I work for the Port of Portland where Toyota Logistics Corp. is located (along with Hyundai and Honda). I am responsible for berthing the Toyota ships that arrive--they are an amazing sight to see as they come alongside. Longshore unload the vehicles into a holding area where they are processed, logged, and addition options enabled, or installed. Then the cars are placed on railcars, or onto trucks. Today, I just bought a magnetic gray Camry hybrid loaded w/ every option, for $30,600.

I berth the ship (M/V Pyxis Leader) that my car came in on. I had to purchase my Camry at a dealer at full MSRP, just like most other people. I lucked out--I was waiting for my Prius and the loaded Camry hybrid came in. The customer didn't want it, so I paid 2K more for the Camry than the package #7 Prius, but got leather, nav, and a sunroof. I will get a federal and state tax rebate of $4100.

If you are waiting for your car and you live in the upper west coast or mid-west, the dealer should have an order sheet that contains the ship, voyage number, and approximate arrival date. It's a little cryptic but you can figure it out. Then go to Colrip.com and click on the vessel page. The Toyota facility is "berth 415". Once you find this info, it will give you some idea of the vehicle ETA. LA/Long Beach serves the southern U.S. and Portland the upper and midwest.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Hello all,

I just have a question around this preferencing process...

I am #9 on the waiting list at one of the dealers at which I have a deposit. The vehicle I "ordered" is Magnetic Gray/Blue Ribbon Metallic, with leather, Nav, moonroof, and convenience package (loaded). I got a call from them today that says that they have a car lined up for me (magnetic gray), and it should arrive in 3-4 weeks. I was rather surprised by this, but I am not complaining. What I am wondering about is this...since the car that has shown up on their upcoming allocation matches my request exactly, does this mean that they offer it to me "first", assuming no one else on the list asked for exactly what I did? Or does it get offered to everyone on the list, starting with #1?
    Like I said earlier, I put a $500 deposit on a package #5 Prius which just came in. The dealer called to let me know but also told me they had a loaded (leather, NAV, sunroof)magnetic gray Camry hybrid. I bought it without a wait and without driving it. Yikes, I hope I like it--I'm picking it up tomorrow-- but I can sell it for full price if I don't. I'm just lucky--you gotta keep calling the dealers. Oh, in Portland, there is no TDA.

Good luck--
    Crap and more crap. Find another dealer--few are paying more than MSRP. The cars are already arriving-I get my loaded one tomorrow.
    Portland is where mid-west Toyotas come in. If you have the name of the ship, usually with the order form and date, you can go to colrip.com and look for it--berth 415 is the Toyota dock. Add a couple of weeks for processing and delivery via rail. I work there, by the way and just got a magnetic gray loaded at MSRP.
    Many U.S. manufacturers have "holdback" to offer to deaklers as an incentive to move cars. That is how a Ford Explorer can sell for $8000 below sticker and still make a profit.

Toyota does not have "holdback" and you will pay at or near MSRP for a hybrid at a dealer--it is a business decision and they are not a charity.
  • fullofbeansfullofbeans Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Rob!
    I just heard from my dealer (Ottawa) today. My car will come in between tomorrow and June 6th. Thanks for the good news about the $2000 PST rebate passing. Where did you here this? I contacted my MP, MPP, and the Ministry of Finance (4 days ago) and Finance told me it hadn't passed yet. I haven't asked for my VIN yet, not sure if they've got it. My salesman did the TCH salesman course earlier this week and he said the TCH is awesome. (each salesperson had 20 min. to test drive the car.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Toyota does not have "holdback" and you will pay at or near MSRP for a hybrid at a dealer--it is a business decision and they are not a charity.

I believe they have a dealer holdback,

Whether they have a holdback or not is not the reason that you pay MSRP for any car.

It is either a function of Supply and Demand, Buying Ignorance or Good Salesmanship!!!
    Cool !!. That post was like watching the discovery channel (which I'm addicted to along with all it's clones). My screen shot showed
    Vessel Number ...: 423
    Vessel Name .....: PEGASUS V007

Colrip shows:

PEGASUS HIGHWAY 2200 Thu May 25 Call Portland T4 BERTH 415

Could this be it?
    As I noted earlier, I just bought a loaded magnetic gray in The Dalles, Oregon, 60 miles east of Portland. I couldn't find one a loaded one initially and ordered a Prius but the dealer got the one I bought in the same allocation as the Prius. Go to Toyota.com and check dealer inventory for Oregon and Washington states. The Vancouver Costo dealer is getting more next week but they may all be base. Good luck
    The "Pegasus Ace" was here in Portland a week or two ago. I should know as I berthed it (lined it up from the dock)
    That is very likely the ship. It will arrive about 6:00 am, (2200 is the military time...10:00 pm...that it crosses the mouth of the Columbia into the river for its 80 mile jouney to Portland), unload in the AM, and be processed and shipped in the following few days. If you would like a picture of the Pegasus Leader unloading tomorrow, drop me an email and I'll see if I can grab a pic for you..might even see a TCH coming off. I pick mine up after work tomorrow.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    :shades: That's great, congrats. Did you have to leave work early to chase the truck through the streets of Portland?

You'll love it.
    Thanks, I don't see your email addr in your profile but it's after hours and I'm into the bud light so I could have missed it. Let us know how you like the vehicle. I've had a Solara since 2000 and it's the best car I've ever owned. My first Toyota was in 1971 and I've haven't strayed far from Japanese cars since. They've always worked well for me though not perfect. (That's for the GM guys that say foreign car owners won't admit they experience problems). Most of my failures with the Solara were sensors that failed and caused the check engine light to come on. Luckily (or stupidly for those "economically conscious "smart guys" out there), I bought the 7 year 100,000 mile no deductible warranty so my out-of-pocket cost was zero. My 1971 corolla had a "silent recall". They torqued the head bolts too tight and cracked the head. It leaked/used oil for a long time with no suitable response from the dealer until I found out about the head bolts. This was way before the internet obviously. "silent recall" for the uninitiated is where you pay unless you know the secret. But I digress. Thanks for the info. If I get your email I'll converse with ya later.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Can you post pics here? It would be neat to see a ship with TCH's unloading
    I think that would be cool, too. I am curious to see how they are unloaded/protected en route.

I can host them if someone wants to email me some.
  • fullofbeansfullofbeans Member Posts: 33
    I forgot to ask are you trying to wing some deal with the upcoming GST reduction. It's scheduled for July 1st. If you pick up your car then or .... get your paperwork to reflect this you'd save $300+ with the lower taxes. Any thoughts on this? tx I haven't had a chance to discuss this with my dealer yet.
    Go to Toyota.com and check dealer inventory for Oregon and Washington states. The Vancouver Costo dealer is getting more next week but they may all be base. Good luck

How do I check inventory for OR/WA? Do I have to go to each dealer listed under "find dealer"?

Nice posts on the shipping process.
  • straversestraverse Member Posts: 6
    I stopped at the Westboro Toyota in Massachusetts on Saturday 5/19/06. I asked if they had a TCH to test drive and was told no but that one was coming in next week and it was not taken. I test drove an XLE and decided I wanted a TCH but we couldn't agree on a price. They called me today 5/25/06, said the car was in and did I want to give it a drive. I went today drove it and agreed to pay sticker. I will be picking it up tomorrow. Other dealers told me it would be between 1 and 6 months to get one. The options on it were sunroof package, heated mirrors and the floor mats and emergency kit package. Retail came to $27,786.00 plus 295 "documentation fee".
  • orgalorgal Member Posts: 27
    I ordered my TCH on April 2nd. At the time the salesperson was a bit vague on the ordering process, however he led me to believe he actually put in an order to the factory. Since that point, I called every dealer in the Portland OR area, and asked them about the ordering process, and got a surprising array of answers, from I can order the exact model you want from the toyota dealership to you can't order from Toyota, all you can do is put your preference to influence the dealer allocations.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a debacle when the salesperson confirmed I would get mine on May 20th, then found out from the New Car manager that there wasn't any order in. It seems like it really is quite a struggle to get good info about ordering in the NW (at least). Since then, the new car manager (who seems to be the only one in the know at this dealership) has said that until the Kentucky plant comes on line you can only try to affect the options on allocations that come in. Mine (fully loaded Blue Ribbon) is supposed to come in about June 10th. I'm amazed at how circuitous and vague this whole business is!
    I live in Portland, and have been told I'll get mine about June 10th. Do you know what ship that would be? and how long it takes to get one if you live in Portland? Did you ever post pics? and can you just go down and watch them being unloaded?
    To the person with the TCH on the "Pegasus Leader", your car was off-loaded on Thursday evening and is sitting somewhere in a yard full of Toyotas. Amazing--several TCH's, FJ's, and Prius' (and a whole separate yard full of lime green and electric blue Scions--go figure that one). Toyota sure knows how to make money, don't they?

The Port (where I work) in Portland, like just about all other U.S. ports, restricts marine terminal visitors to those authorized. You can watch Toyotas ships unload from across the river, or from Cathedral park which is just upriver from Toyota.

We have another Toyota ship, the New Nada, arriving later today. I will take some pics of unloading on Saturday when I work next and forward them.
    Your order form from the dealer should show a vessel name and voyage number--you can track ships into Portland on colrip.com where Toyota is Portland berth 415. For instance, if you have a car coming in on the "New Nada" or "Century Leader", you're in luck--your car will be here in the next few days.
    I did a google search for Pegasus. Leader and found the NYK logistics and & megacarrier web site. It shows Pegasus Leader and also a Pegasus Diamond. The screen shot from the dealer just said Pegasus V007. I'm supposed to get the TCH in mid to late June. If my car was actually offloaded on thursday evening does it sound reasonable that it would take 20 to 25 days to reach the dealer?

BTW: The NYK website says these carriers can carry
    4000-6000 cars. That's incredible.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Toyota has a holdback which is 2% of MSRP. The reason you can buy FORDS for $8000.00 off MSRP is because of their inflated mark up from invoice to MSRP, overproduction and rebates.
    Mackabee
    :shades:
    The Pegasus Leader is a regular ship to Portland. Usually they continue on to Long Beach, CA and/or Vancouver, B.C. The capacity if I remember correctly is about four to five thousand cars--amazing, isn't it? The vessels generally rotate back and forth from Asia and the "Pegasus" will likely visit again in the first or second week of June, which would fit your delivery date pretty closely. If you are watching for your ship, remember that the name of the ship might be abbreviated on your order form. Your ship was "Pegasus" for "Pegasus Leader which is an easy abbreviation. My TCH came in on the "Pyxis Leader" but it was abbreviated to "Pyxsldr" on the order form.

Most of the cars come in on K-line ships (kline.com) which are mostly "Highway" ships: Century Highway, Texas Highway, etc. We get three to four ships a week in Portland and probably the same for California and Canada. Honda averages only one ship a week and never has more then a hundred cars parked on the terminal. They ship within days or hours of arrival. Toyota has a massive amount of cars and a significant rail and trucking operation. Extremely efficient and amazing to watch--they are real pros there.
    If you live in Portland, you are the first stop from Japan so your car amoung will be first off of the ship..yeah!! No rail, just processing and a truck ride to the dealer. Your dealer can provide an order or invoice form that shows your delivery date, voyage #, and the vessel name--see my previous email for how to figure that out. Once you know the name--or at least an abbreviation of it--go to colrip.com about a week or two before the delivery date and look for the ship going into Portland berth 415. That will be your car. I hope that helps...
    I didn't see a response, so I will repost...

I just have a question around this preferencing process...

I am #9 on the waiting list at one of the dealers at which I have a deposit. The vehicle I "ordered" is Magnetic Gray/Blue Ribbon Metallic, with leather, Nav, moonroof, and convenience package (loaded). I got a call from them today that says that they have a car lined up for me (magnetic gray), and it should arrive in 3-4 weeks. I was rather surprised by this, but I am not complaining. What I am wondering about is this...since the car that has shown up on their upcoming allocation matches my request exactly, does this mean that they offer it to me "first", assuming no one else on the list asked for exactly what I did? Or does it get offered to everyone on the list, starting with #1?

Thanks!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Ask your salesman/dealer.
    I have way to much time to be on here but here is an answer to the question about how they are protected and loaded. The vehicles have a small plastic hole on the left front bumper (look for a small capped hole on your Toyota). During transit, there is a large securing rod and hook that protrudes from that hole; chains are hooked from the car to the deck of the ship--very tightly. The hole is capped during processing after the vehicle is unloaded.

Each ship has multiple decks--think a large enclosed floating parking garage. When the ship comes alongside and is secured, a ramp, usually from the stern, is lowered. Longshore are then hired to unload the ship into the adjacent holding yard where they are later processed, and shipped. About 1000 to 1500 is a typical load for Portland. I will be forwarding pictures from a discharge operation on either Saturday or Sunday which is when I next work--there should be a ship there on one of those days. I will also post a photo from one of the interior decks and from the top, if possible. I will need the Captain's permission.
  • zewszews Member Posts: 6
    Posted earlier that I had e-mailed the Atlanta area Toyota dealers with what I was looking for, got a response back within 24 hours from a dealer in Cherokee County that they had the color and options I wanted coming in on May 21. I went and signed an order and gave a 1,000 deposit. The truck that came in on Sat, May 21 didn't have my TCH, but the one that came in Tues May 23 did, same VIN and all.

When I went to pick it up Wed. evening there was a lady in it who really wanted one and was curious if the engine was loud or not. Deal was done at MSRP as promised, no issues, no hard selling of upgrades. They did make me pay for floor mats (should have asked for them when I signed the contract the previous week).

Car drives great, very quiet and smooth. Averaging 33.6 mpg in hilly northern ATL. Kids love the NAV and all of its wizardry.

There are plenty arriving, if you're looking for one in a reasonably sized metro area you shouldn't have to wait long.
    It seems like I've seen other posts on this. IF you follow kdhspyder's posts you might learn more.

IMO It's probably up to the dealer. So you should probably ask. In my case I wanted a loaded White TCH and was told I was 3rd in line. My salesman sent me an email and said it should be here by mid to late June and included a screen shot from an inventory inquiry showing the exact car I wanted. The car hasn't even arrived at the dealer yet so it appears that he has that car singled out for me and wouldn't be offering it to others ahead of me (unless I'm now #1). kdhspyder might be able to tell you how they do it in his shop.
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    They did make me pay for floor mats

Congrats on your car!

How much did they charge you for floor mats?!?

FYI, floor mats are delivered with the car...well, at least
    they are included with the fully loaded car. A newly delivered TCH has them wrapped in plastic in the trunk.

Not sure if the base model was supposed to come with them.
    The regional office gets a list of preferences from the dealer and they try to match things up the best that they can. The dealers are allocated cars and if it matches their preference list that is good, if it doesn't then they can try selling the car to whoever walks in or trade with another dealer who got a car they didn't need but another dealer does.
    Ex: My dealer was allocated a silver loaded TCH but no one on the list wanted it. They traded it with another dealer for a white loaded TCH which someone on the waiting list did want.
    Any base TCH that is allocated to my dealer is up for grabs as there is no one on the waiting list for that trim.
    My dealer was allocated a blue mid(hm/sr) TCH (which is exactly what I requested) so they had the PIOs I requested added at the port and it is now on the train heading towards us.

So at the moment it is partially luck and some trading that will allow your dealer to get the car that you requested. If you wait long enough you will get what you want (even if it is until the Kentucky plant starts to make TCHs late this year).
    My dealer told me over a month ago that all the cars being allocated to him will be coming from the port with floor mats.
    MSRP for the floor mats (CF) is $199. So hopefully zews didn't pay more than that for them.
    I stopped in at my dealer and was told that my car is in F status and the computer shows an anticipated dealer delivery date of May 30 -> June 6.
    They said it would be unloaded from the train in West Chicago and then put on a truck to my dealer.
  • ehaszehasz Member Posts: 15
    "Ex: My dealer was allocated a silver loaded TCH but no one on the list wanted it. "

Oh, this is torture... naturally that is exactly the car I have been searching for in So Cal.

I found it but got jerked around by a very bad faith experience at Manhattan Beach Toyota... ended up wasting my entire day. (Later I was on Priuschat.com and saw that MANY people have had terrible, time-wasting experiences with that dealership.)
    I picked up my magnetic grey TCH with a cream colored interior which initially horrified me--then I sat in it and decided that it looked beautiful and classy, though the ($199) floormats are light and will likely get dirty quickly. Drove the car 85 miles to my home and enjoyed it immensely. A little slower than I expected but driving on battery is eerie.

I spent all day figuring out the NAV and bluetooth but now it all works. And the trunk is bigger then I was expecting. To those of you waiting for a TCH, I just put myself on the list for a Prius a week ago, and within two days the dealer offered me an unclaimed loaded TCH at MSRP with a 5.7% fixed interest rate. No waiting, no waiting for a call from the dealer. Within a week of looking I had my car, albeit from a dealer eighty miles away from Portland. My suggestion is to use Toyota's web-site for dealers and look for both metro and rural dealers, then call them. To ORGAL, your loaded blue ribbon THC was sold Friday AM--it had been sitting unsold on the dealer lot for three days. I'm sorry your dealer doesn't have one for you yet. The dealer I used is located in The Dalles, Oregon. They are family owned, low pressure, and were quick and efficient--absolutely NO complaints--in and out in 45 minutes. Good luck-

I will take some pics tomorrow of the Toyota ship in Portland unloading Camrys and post them on-line.
    djpdx1, Where did you see the loaded blue ribbon TCH (where it was sitting for 3 days)?

How do you do a search on the toyota website for all dealerships? The only way I can figure out requires you to put in a zip code, is this what you are talking about?

Another poster had mentioned doing a search for all of a state, but I'm not sure how to do that.

thanks for the help
    Orgal - I am changing my color choice from Blue to Mag Grey. I am hoping to have a lead on the Blue TCH that had been requested on my behalf. Contact me info you want more information - that'll avoid a massive rush to the same car. lungdoc63#yahoo.com
    Congrats on your new TCH. What luck. By cream interior Is that what they call bisque? I ordered ash leather before I saw some posts saying it was too light. That kind of worried me but It sounds like bisque is light as well. I'll just deal with it. Those pictures you plan on taking of the cargo ship should be cool. We discussed previously that my car was coming on the ship "pegasus" V007 (voyage 007?). But like I said I found a few ships with pegasus in the name so I'm not sure when it will arrive or at what port. Oh well, it was fun surfing around looking for information on it. I guess I'll give it up and wait for the dealer to call.
    djpdx1:

Do you thing that you could get a couple of daylight photos of the interior of your car (with the Bisque leather)?

I have a call in to my dealer to let me know what color interior I am getting on my Mag Gray loaded TCH, and was wondering what Bisque looks like.

Thanks!
    The name of the ship is "Pegasus Leader" and is due in early June. You can track it a couple of days beforehand by going to colrip.com.
    I have uploaded several photos of a Toyota ship arriving in Portland. It unloaded 1200 cars last night and departed around midnight. By request, I also included a couple of interior pics of my new THC. Bisque leather...hmmm. I will add photos as more vessels come and go and I will try to get a few with the cars driving off.

To ORGAL, My dealer, Griffith Toyota in The Dalles, Oregon, had one blue and one grey loaded THC that came in last week. Both were sold on Friday--I bought the gray one--the other was sold in a dealer trade. The transaction went terrific--very smooth, no pressure. This family owned Toyota and Honda dealer promises the quickest delivery time in Oregon. They have a web-site with their information and inventory. They are expecting their next allotment soon so at least you can call and ask what they will be getting. I suggest checking with rural dealers. There is one in Newport, Oregon that also may be getting a few.
This discussion has been closed.