Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    My '06 XLS came with a CD (no nav).

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I purchased an 07 XL (no Nav, very few frills) and the CD is in the same place as ALL other Avalons. Look in the glove box, pull out the Pocket Reference Guide (the thin booklet with the black string tied to the corner) and open it. Behold, as it says, your answers are only a click away! The CD even includes a copy of the owners manual.

Like the previous posts, I am amazed that folks are not familar with all the information that Toyota provides for them.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    That CD did a very good job of hiding in my '06 for 25 months. I never did find it. In the month that I've had the '08 I haven't been able to find it either. Perhaps the dealer from whom I purchased both of these doesn't pass the CD on to the owners.
  • 49364936 Posts: 15
    My 2007 Ltd. w/o Nav. purchased new had it glued to the manual rear cover. (I'm not sure of that,) but it was included with all the other material supplied at purchase. But you can view that same DVD by going directly to Toyotas web site under autos/avalon/2007/. It has great data.
  • manav82manav82 Posts: 16
    http://mynewavalon.com/iGuide_Avalon.htm

I believe this is the same as the DVD. If not, it has the same info.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Anybody know if the Avalon's tire pressure monitoring system monitors the spare tire? My TPMS warning light is on, but pressures in all tires on the ground are right where they should be. So, either the spare is being monitored and is low, or the TPMS is malfunctioning (which I understand happens rather frequently).
  • Good question. I assume that low air pressure is somehow monitored electronically from the valve stem. In that case, the spare should be monitored also. I probably would not have thought about checking the spare if all other tires were OK.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Found the answer to my own question in the owner's manual -- the spare tire DOES have a pressure sensor, so if the spare is low, the warning light will come on. And there is a TPMS reset button under the instrument panel to the left of the steering wheel. It's all covered in pp.169-174 of the manual.

Here is an interesting article about TPMS in general and Toyota's implementation in particular:

http://www.tirereview.com/?type=art&id=81377
  • don90don90 Posts: 14
    I wish Toyota would fix my RAIN SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS!!! My 2007 LTD has rain sensing wipers that will make one swipe across my DRY WINDSHIELD when the engine is started. This happens at random and cannot be predicted. Toyota says this is NORMAL yet in four years of owning a 2003 Avalon XLS I never once experienced this problem. I see on this site that other owners with 2005 and later have the same problem.
    This happens when the weather is dry and no moisture on the windshield. I am sure this is still a problem on the 2008 Avalon since Toyota considers this a normal condition.
    So I think a wish list is just that because Toyota will do what they want, just like when GM was riding high Toyota has the same out look and that is WHAT IS GOOD FOR TOYOTA IS GOOD FOR IT'S CUSTOMERS.
  • Hello, I'm new to the site.

Anyone out there have an idea how many more miles you can drive when the gas light is on for a 2007 avalon xls?

Also anyone ever experience when shutting the trunk, the gas cap pops open too? Don't get me wrong I love my avalon; just something I noticed.

Also i've yet to purchase the maintainence guide, but anyone know if changing the oil is difficult (filter location, etc.)?

Thanks in advance! :)
  • Oil change on 07 avalon is very different. Engine holds 6.2 qts. of oil (don't ask me why, that like a diesel truck!), and the oil filter is a multi-piece aluminum housing with o-rings and a throwaway filter element. Apparently this Toyota's idea of being environmentally friendly by doing away with the spin-on metal can/filter.

There are step by step pictures and instructions available on the net for filter change, and the replacement filter element, with instructions, is available at various auto parts stores. I have done the oil/filter twice and it is OK now, but you need small ramps or a lift to get under the vehicle.
  • I have an o7 xls. Bought it new 18 months ago.. but If I had it to do over again, the only thing I wouldn't want on my avy is that damn moon roof. Everytime the temp drops down in the mid 40's or below, there's a rattle that almost sounds as if it's coming from the right front portion of the car.. but if you put your hand up against the moonroof and put slight pressure, the rattle stops. The rattle also stops just as soon as the interior temp in the car rises... so regardless, the rattle is normally gone within 5 minutes anyway, but it's still aggrravating to have a 34K car with less than 15 thousand miles on it with a rattle.. Of course it dosn't usually stay cold down here in Louisiana so it's not as a big of a problem as if I lived up north... also, just tonight I noticed when I turned the heat on in the car, the blower started this high pitch whine... anyone else have this happen.. The car is way too new to start having blower motor issues... any ideas?

Roland
  • My 07 Touring makes the same high pitched whine. Dealer said there were pine needles that they removed from the filter. Still making the noise, so I'll have them check it out.
  • jrjhmjrjhm Posts: 26
    I live in New York which has been very cold at times and have never had a problem with the sunroof rattling or the blower whining. I would be in the dealers face if I had these problems.
  • I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon Touring and have noticed that the heat coming out of the console vents is substantially hotter then the front and floor vents.

The dealer measured the temperature and agreed that the rear was much hotter then the front. They checked a 2008 and it had the same problem.

They are going to check with Toyota on a possible fix since they don't know what to do.

Any one else have this problem. Any solutions?

Thanks,
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    I have a question for anyone who can help me out here. I took my wifes avy in 2 weeks ago for an oil change. While there, I told the service writer that on cold days, I noticed a slight " whine" coming from the blower motor, which I subsequently learned is behind the glove box. On the same visit they told me I needed to have the cabin air filter replaced. Point being that my wife now says that when she opens and closes her glove box, theres a catch in the action. In other words the glove box door worked fluidly before I took to the toyota dealership, but now when she goes to close it, there's a slight "bump" or catch in the movement. It still closes ok, dosn't rattle or anything. But I'm wondering if (a) they may have screwed the door track up when checking the blower motor or (b) if the cabin air filter is located anywhere near the glove box door, if maybe they did something to door then. Now my wife wants me to take the car back to the dealership, but this is such a minor thing, I'm almost embarassed to take it to the dealership to complain. On the other hand, it was fine before the oil and filter change> Any thoughts?

Roland
    The cabin filter is behind the glove box. The door is lowered by removing one screw on the right hand side that is attached to a "shock" Then squeeze the two sides of the box in slightly and pull down. The door will stay attached but swing out of the way. Maybe something got caught behind the door when they put whatever you had in there back in. There isn't much to go wrong. To put it back up just reverse the operation, the only thing you may have to do it grab the bottom of the "shock" and pull it down to meet the hole for the screw.

P.S. while your looking at the door, note where the filter is and try to change it yourself next time. The dealer charges way too much money for a 5 minute job. Any auto parts store will have the filter.

• rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    tjc78... thanks for the info. I'll take alook at it tomorrow. Do you know if there is supposed to be alittle "catch" in the door action on the glove box. It's noticeable just about 1 inch before the glove box door is completely closed, in other words you don't even notice it until you've almost completely closed the glove box door? It dosn't seem to hurt anything, and closes tight. Anyway, it was something we never noticed until the filter was replaced. and boy are you right about doing it yourself because of the cost.. I checked my bill from my last service and they hit me for 39.95 ( 29.95 for the cabin air filter, which seems ridiculously high in itself, plus another 10 bucks labor ) In fact, on that service I had the oil and filter changed ( provided my own synthetic oil ) had them rotate my tires and replace the cabin air filter and the engine air filter... total cost ( not including what I paid for the synthetic oil ) was 123.71 You would have thought they would have at least kissed me and offered a smoke when they were thru..

Roland
    Mine is smooth throughout th entire motion. Although, it does require a decent amount of pressure to close. I just saw a dealer ad the other day for replacement of the cabin filter "special" $49.99. Some favor, Autozone has the Avalon filter for $19.99 and once you learn how to do it, 5 mins and that includes cleaning out all the junk in the box before you do it!

How many miles on your Av? Mine just hit 20K and I looked at the filters (air/cabin) and they were surprisingly clean. I am going to replace them before the next service (25K) anyway. I don't drive in any dusty conditions, maybe that has something to do with it.