Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• 54gradsteds54gradsteds Posts: 102
    Mackabee , Thanks for the heads-up on upcoming color changes, etc. for the Avalon. This will be for the 2007 model, right? When can we get a peek at the colors, which, to my mind, have been a major short-coming. I sure wish Toyota would hire the color folks from Ford! Also, I hope there will be a major improvement in the quality of the leather offered. I've managed to live for almost seven decades without the need to air-condition my tush....and, I think the perforated "leather" is extremely cheap in appearance, and may prove to be a major pain when one attempts to clean it..
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    If you combine posts #20 and #21 above, you might get the best of all possible Tourings:

1. A separate model name. It has younger crowd appeal as a "sport" type car with a more firm suspension but with family size room. This is not the same as a Limited with a "touring struts" option. Not to the person who really wants Acura TL handling, with a back seat and a trunk.

2. The car needs some interior upgrades. As is, it's a little plain. More options, better materials, nicer finish and a decent selection of colors. Basic stuff, nothing that runs up the price. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Chances are, none of this makes any difference. Toyota does at it pleases. ;)
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Yes, Toyota does as it pleases, but it also listens to its present and potential future customers via focus groups, surveys, etc. Whether or not Toyota monitors online forums such as this, it is reasonable to expect that the input it gets from its customer base will correlate with the thoughts presented here.

Toyota didn't get where it is today by ignoring this kind of input, so I suspect that many of the improvements we are discussing are under consideration. Of course, the timeframe for their implementation is anybody's guess.
  • Before or after Labor Day?
  • richa502richa502 Posts: 16
    1. 6 speed tranny with no hesitation.
    2. Redesigned dash. Remove the cover from the radio...it's just plain ugly.
    3. Bluetooth.
    4. The Limited should have the option of an Ebony interior.
    4. Power tilt and telescope.
    5. Passenger seat should have up/down capabilites.

And lastly, they should hurry up and release the 07 Avalon, because the 07 Camry seems like the better deal.
  • rodc2rodc2 Posts: 26
    More suggestions for the "We'd like to see it" list:

Redesign the parking brake to automatically release when transmission selector is moved from Park to Drive.

Add a pen/pencil holder to the inside of the glove box door.

Allow CD player to play MP3 recordings.

Add an easily accessible "input" jack to the stereo system to allow use of other audio sources (Digital audio players, etc.).

Lose the cassette player--Who needs it--Try to purchase a music cassette today; it's nearly impossible--(Cassettes are rapidly approaching antique status)--Can't believe Toyota still thinks this is an essential/desired item.

Illuminate the gas and trunk release buttons (Sometimes you have to use these things at night).

Make the glass portion of the rear view mirror larger; it is too small. (Could reduce/eliminate the frame size to give larger glass area without significantly increasing overall size)
    I recall reading somewhere that the primary reason Toyota included a cassette player on the Avalon is that a lot of older adults enjoy listening to books on tape while driving. At the time the current Avalon was designed cassettes were still the primary format for audiobooks, but I believe that has changed and most are now also available on CD. So, the original rationale for the cassette player seems to have vanished.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    IMO - think that the basic similarity between the Avalon and Camry has always been a mistake on Toyota;s part. Prior to '05, the Avalon was nothing more than a slightly upsized slightly posher Camry at a premium. That all changed with the '05 with a much more aggressive design not to mention what is under the hood. And the sales increases have validated the wisdom of the changes and the differentiation. So now we come full circle again with the intro of the 07 Camry, and yes, it will be hard for many buyers to justify the extra $ for an Avalon - and Avalon sales may plummet almost back to '04 levels unless something different is done. Imagine that Toyota does better (profitwise) on Avalons than it does on Camrys competing in a much larger market segment - so doesn't it make sense that Toyota do something to the Av that really makes it a superior car? I'm still holding out for a RWD Toyota (that isn't a truck or a Lexus).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    What would you like Toyota to do for the 2007 edition to better distinguish the Avalon?
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    captain2: Totally agree! If it weren't for my son, I'd never have looked at the Avalon---I remembered them as Camry's in a "Prom Dress"---no real disitinction. Glad I drove one--love it! Now, if the Camry's continue to look like the Avalon's---guess I'll have to look elsewhere in 3 years or so. I mean, why pay extra $$$ for the same engine/transmission in an Avalon that looks like the normal mom & pop car. What Toyota needs to do now that the Avalon has regained its own personality, is to enhance the image--maybe a big A on the grill and make it unique----BMW has the "twin kidneys"--Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes--all are distinctive and easily recognizeable. Keep moiving "away" from the Camry image or once again the Avalon will be just another great vehicle in the Toyota line up.
    Bob
    the '05 redesign did plenty to differentiate the Av from styling point of view, and I also feel that the egronomics are wonderful although I guess the NAV needs some 'friendliness'.
    What I would like to see is for Toyota to REALLY turn the Avalon into a 'poor man's Lexus' which some may contend it already is. Dropping the XL end of the line, and turning the engine 90d a certain way to do this along with a starting pricetag of $35k or so with a standard option level approaching what a full boat Ltd. is currently. And don't drop the 'sports model', a ticket back into that 60+ demographic in which the previous Avalons languished along with Buicks and Caddys.
    well, at least the 07 Camry doesn't look too much like the 06 Avalon. While the Camry's styling is much improved, I personally prefer the Av - but point taken - when I was out car shopping a year ago the Avalon wasn't even on my list (Maximas, Tls, G35s) until I accidentally caught one on a dealer's lot, drove it, and the rest is history.
    FWIW, think there remains a very popular misconception that the Avalon is still a nondescript 'box'. My car is more often mistaken for a Lexus, even a BMW (from the rear, I guess) than it is for something as tame as what many folks think the Avalons are.
  • I'd really like to see the same power adjustments for the passenger seat as on the drivers seat - especially the seat extender on the LTD. Passengers have long legs too!
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    The 4-way adjustment is just a cost cutting measure. My '03 XL had more adjustments on the pass seat than my '06 XLS.

On another note, I agree with previous posts that the cover on the radio should go. I never close it, and it obsures the CD opening when open. One other thing that needs "updating" is the RDS and CD Text. Why don't they scroll? Having to hold down the text button to advance the display is a distraction. Every other vehicle I have driven with RDS scrolls the data.

More power to differenciate the Avalon from the Camry. This would help to justify the price premium.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I think we're overlooking something here. The Avalon is a great car. Who cares if the new Camry aims to look like a smaller version of that great car with a similar engine? the fact is that the ride/comfort/driveability of the Avalon will always distinguish it from the Camry.

Other car manufacturers do the same thing. BMW's latest 5 series looks like a smaller version of the 7 series....and the newest 3 series comes closer to this image than the previous 3 series. BMW uses similar engines in the 3 series and the 5 series (except that the 5 series offers a more powerful engine than the 2.5 and 3.0 liters common to both 3 and 5 series). Other than price, the thing that separates the 3 series from the 5 series from the 7 series is size/comfort/ride/driveability....the same things that separate the Camry from the Avalon.
  • throwing loose change in the sizeable center compartment with other junk in it makes that loose change difficult to access when you're searching for 21 cents to pay for your ice cream cone at Dairy Queen.

the solution is a simple one for Avalons without seat warmers...add a little tray/cup in the spot where the seat warmer controls would otherwise exist. Alternatively, a flip out tray could be added under the trunk/gas release buttons.
  • The cover over the radio is a most distinctive Avalon feature, in my view. I almost always keep the cover closed since it is easier and safer to operate the steering-wheel mounted controls, anyway. The closed cover hides unnecessary distractions and contributes to the exceptionally clean and elegant look. As we recently realized, this look is subtly accentuated at night by faint blue-white overhead lights. I believe Consumer Reports listed the Avalon's interior among their "dream-car" features and the radio cover is probably part of the reason.

There may be an issue with the cover not opening completely out of the way. If so, it could be re-designed for 2007 to more fully retract inside the instrument panel.

havalongavalon
    Not only BMW but most upscale marques, from Mercedes to Jaguar to Lexus, consciously strive to maintain a "family resemblence" among the various models in their range. Can't fault Toyota for doing this too.
  • mittiemittie Posts: 5
    1. Throw away the door over the radio; it's useless and ugly
    2. The interior colors should be darker; no one wants to keep cleaning light carpet and the wood is too light.
    3. Add BlueTooth
    4. The Moon Roof should be an option (not mandatory) for those who want it. We live in Phoenix and no one wants the Moon Roof, it's already too hot!
    5. Let the buyer select the options they want instead of the packages.

We would have already purchased a new Avalon except for the above. We're now driving a 98 Avalon and love it! The interior is much more useful (darker) and the car was ordered without a Moon Roof. But the car now has 140,000 miles and it's time to replace it.
  • bigd58bigd58 Posts: 39
    When I first heard about the 07 Camry I was immediately sold. Never previously owned a Toyo. Went to local dealer to feast my eyes on the new reincarnated Camry. Couldn't help but notice the Avalon right beside it. Couldn't help but think that is actually a better looking car, despite the new styling. But no six speed auto & no bluetooth.
    Wish list? Far as I'm concerned they need not redesign the body. I wasn't exactly thrilled at what they did to the Camry. But right now, today, IMO it's the best deal in town. Update the Av with new tranny & bluetooth and you'd have a better looking car that has it all.
    In my own mind I've reserved a 07 SE Camry when I'm ready to buy in a few months. If I hear Toyo announce the new Av will be updated with those features, there is a good chance I'll rethink the Camry.