Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Avalon

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Let's talk about what you'd like to see for next year's edition of the Avalon.

Comments

• smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Let’s talk about improvements we would like to see on the 2007 Avalon. I suggest we limit the discussion to things that can actually be done to the current platform, since we know it is not changing for 2007. I.e. “increase trunk space” would not be a realistic suggestion. I'm also not going to get into QC issues such as "less rattles."

Here’s my list:

--6 speed transmission

--Eliminate sensitivity of accelerator pedal behavior to foot position

--Touring suspension, wheels/tires and trim bits should be an option package available on any of the other 3 models, rather than a separate model. Black leather should be simply a leather color choice, rather than a mandatory component of the Touring package. You should be able to buy a Limited with Touring package and ivory leather, or an XLS with black leather and the base suspension.

--Both suspensions need fine tuning. Base suspension should not get floaty on road undulations -- not even Buicks and Cadillacs do this nowadays. Both suspensions need flatter cornering. Target for base suspension handling should be Ford 500. Target for Touring handling should be Acura TL.

--Improve steering feel/centering at highway speeds.

--Driver’s seat should have one to two inches additional rearward travel and seat cushion should go one inch lower, to better accommodate tall drivers.

--Make JBL audio system available on XL.

--Both audio systems should play mp3 discs and have auxiliary input jacks.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Great list, smith1!

I've adopted all your suggestions (1-8) with only minor modifications and added more here:

1. 6 speed transmission

2. Eliminate sensitivity of accelerator pedal behavior to foot position

3. Touring suspension, wheels/tires and trim bits should be an option package available on any of the other 3 models, rather than a separate model. Black leather should be simply a leather color choice, rather than a mandatory component of the Touring package. You should be able to buy a Limited with Touring package and ivory leather, or an XLS with black leather and the base suspension.

4. Both suspensions need fine tuning. Base suspension should not get floaty on road undulations -- not even Buicks and Cadillacs do this nowadays. Both suspensions need flatter cornering. Target for base suspension handling should be Ford 500. Target for Touring handling should be Acura TL.

5. Improve steering feel/centering at all speeds.

6. Driver’s seat should have one to two inches additional rearward travel and seat cushion should go one inch lower, to better accommodate tall drivers.

7. Make JBL audio system available on XL.

8. Both audio systems should play mp3 discs and have auxiliary input jacks.

9. Provide fuel ecomomy display that is switchable and resettable to show tank average, trip average or instantaneous fuel use.

10. Re-design front passenger seat belt so it does not rattle when retracted.

11. Provide option of 2-driver memory seats/mirrors on XLS and Touring, in addition to Limited (or make the Limited available in Canada).

12. Relocate and illuminate the buttons for trunk opening and gas filler door opening.

13. Exchange locations of sunglasses compartment and overhead lights, so that when the compartment door is opened it doesn't block the rearview mirror.

14. Offer factory-installed back-up sensors as an option.

havalongavalon
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    One more that needs to be added if it's not already on the '06 Limited, passenger seat adjustable positions that are the same as the driver's seat.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    The "wish list" is just that-unless Toyota is listening?! Knock, Knock Toyota--anybody reading and reacting? My biggest complaints are: Complicated & user "unfriendly Nav System, front end paint chips too easily, needs fold-away side mirrors and standard body side moldings.
    Bob
  • topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    I agree with you. The "unfriendly Nav System" is a disappointment for me. I bought a new Solara convertible with the nav and I love it. But, I did not do my homework and discovered after buying the Avalon (2nd car) that it's not a touchscreen and most features are difficult to use via the dash mounted buttons & "joystick". Oh well,...so much for Toyota Nav technology. Folding mirrors would have been a very good feature and would help in the two car garage which is tight with two the cars inside.

P
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi havalongavalon!!
    I had an opportunity to view the new Lexus ES350 today.
    I believe that most of the items on your wishlist might be avaailable on the new 07 ES350. Lexus chose Kelowna to have automotive journalists test drive and review the new GS 350 and the GS 450 Hybrid as well as the ES 350. I think it might be a option for those Avalon owners who want more options or a firmer suspension. I didn't have an opportunity to drive this new Lexus but it looked very well finished and looks a little bit like the Avalon.
    I still really love my Avy, besides on a recent trip to Calgary and back I was able to get 39 mpg. ( shown on my car's computer screen) Great mileage for this car. I may consider the new Lexus in another year or two but for now the Avalon is running great.
    Take care!
    :D
  • melbcmelbc Member Posts: 31
    Hey gladiator99,

I noticed you mentioned you were able to get 39 mpg as shown on your computer screen. Did you have to convert litres to kms or did you actually figure out how to make the screen show mpg. I have navigation system and can't seem to find a way to show the conversion. Any help would be appreciated. I tried the menu setup area but nothing changed.

MelBC
    Sir/Ma'am: Love the Forum and all the helpful tios--i.e. buying a 7 Year 100K Mile Warranty for $990 vs the MSRP of $1650! Does anyone at Edmunds have direct contact with a Toyota representitive who's empowered to effect any of the great ideas addressed in the Forum? While it's great to voice your opions and concerns, if nobody's listening--the end affect is simply getting frustrations off your chest! Most of the great ideas do not require any major manufacturing line changes and would certainly enhance the overall quality of the Avalon. Toyota---remeber where ya came from and how ya got to where you are today--LISTENING & ADAPTING!! Wonder why Hyundai has come so far so fast--mmm?
    Bob
    Good morning, gladiator99!

What a rare treat, to have a private first showing of new Lexi right on your own front yard!! Did you take any sneak pictures that you could post for us? ;)

I bet you are right, the new GS 350 and the GS 450 Hybrid as well as the ES 350 may incorporate all or most of the features that we are wishing the next Avalons will have.

This reminds me to add another wish to the list: No changes in the Avalon price points!! (in US dollars, that is). On the other hand, the new Toyota Canada prices should really come way down, given the steady improvement in exchange rate... Toyota Canada, are YOU listening? :D

Regards,

havalongavalon
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    1. rear wheel drive - although I know Toyota would never do this - too close to an 'LS350'
    2. general 'tightening' of suspension - feel that all trims except for the Touring way too soft and even the Touring could benefit from a little less body lean. The ride/handling tradeoff may alienate some of the traditional Avalon buyers?
    3. the 6 speed tranny is fine and will almost certainly be std. on the 07 - and may make no difference from a operational point of view if Toyota persists in 'programming' the transmission the way it is (for economy). So the wish is for control improvements on whatever trans. ends up in the car BUT only if that change doesn't wind up costing too much at the gas pump.
    Hi melbc!
    I had to convert km. to miles and litres to gal. I have a handy slide rule type of converter which automatically displays the mpg. for me when I line up the litres used for any number of km. I was very impressed that I could get such a good average of mpg. I will have to read my owners manual to see if we can display miles per gallon averages instead of litres per 100 km. I think all the Canadian Avalons show only litres and km.
    Take care!!
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    In no particular order,

1. 6 speed tranny.

2. Fold down rear seats

3. A red dot in CR. Better fit and finish.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Coming down the pipe..6 speed transmission, minor headlight, tail light changes, grille change, bluetooth added. Some options added and some deleted, same with exterior colors. Touring model maybe discontinued. Stay tuned..
    Mackabee
    :shades:
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The Touring is the really distinctive model in the line-up. Seems like you could consolidate the XLS/Limited easier. Just have one and then adjust the single options list and package options as necessary. Same with the base price. Then you really still have all 4 cars in the showroom, just one less name.... maybe?
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    What about fold down rear seats, at least as an option? Remember, I asked you this when the 2006s were just coming out. You may call me the pest from the west.

Its actually a tough call for me between the Camry and the Avalon. Avalons have some good discounts on them.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    With just a few minor changes already mentioned, this car would be the best of the bunch. I suggest an auto release for the parking brake, a trip timer with a manual reset, an MPG indicator with manual reset, passenger seat full controls, fold down rear seats with a hole large enough to crawl through, reposition the garage door opener from the mirror which has so much play in it that it continually gets out of adjustment. And, for them to put some kind of smaller box, on top, inside that big center console to hold items readily available so that you don't have to search around like you're reaching into a well. TedJ
    I believe the reclining feature rules out having the rear seats fold down.
    Hi havalong!!
    Yes, I did take a few pictures, but you can see pictures of these new Lexus models on the Lexus.ca website. What I found interesting is that the new ES350 is priced just slightly higher than the Avalon XLS. The ES350 with premium package is priced at $46,500. CDN. The ultra premium package is priced at $54,000. If you go on the website you can check out the options included with both packages. If you have an extra 20 thousand, you could move up to the GS 450h Series.......Nice car. A little steep for my liking but a very classy automobile. I will try to get a test drive in the ES350 the next time I am in Vancouver, as we do not have a Lexus dealer here in
    Kelowna. Will try to get some Pics here shortly.
    Take care!!
    agree with you - the Touring the only Avalon that doesn't drive like a Buick - and possibly a main reason why the average Avalon buyer is getting a little younger - which I thought Toyota was trying to do? Don't know what unit sales/trim is, but, a big mistake IMO if mackabee is right. Sure would take the Avalon back off my shopping list when it comes time to replace my Touring unless they offer something like a 'sports suspension' option in the Limited.
    I'm hoping that Touring will become a suspension/wheels/tires option package available on all the other models....that would be the best of all worlds. I like the Touring suspension setup, but the fake metal trim, mandatory black leather and pseudo-spoiler don't do anything for me.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Mackabee , Thanks for the heads-up on upcoming color changes, etc. for the Avalon. This will be for the 2007 model, right? When can we get a peek at the colors, which, to my mind, have been a major short-coming. I sure wish Toyota would hire the color folks from Ford! Also, I hope there will be a major improvement in the quality of the leather offered. I've managed to live for almost seven decades without the need to air-condition my tush....and, I think the perforated "leather" is extremely cheap in appearance, and may prove to be a major pain when one attempts to clean it..
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If you combine posts #20 and #21 above, you might get the best of all possible Tourings:

1. A separate model name. It has younger crowd appeal as a "sport" type car with a more firm suspension but with family size room. This is not the same as a Limited with a "touring struts" option. Not to the person who really wants Acura TL handling, with a back seat and a trunk.

2. The car needs some interior upgrades. As is, it's a little plain. More options, better materials, nicer finish and a decent selection of colors. Basic stuff, nothing that runs up the price. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Chances are, none of this makes any difference. Toyota does at it pleases. ;)
    Yes, Toyota does as it pleases, but it also listens to its present and potential future customers via focus groups, surveys, etc. Whether or not Toyota monitors online forums such as this, it is reasonable to expect that the input it gets from its customer base will correlate with the thoughts presented here.

Toyota didn't get where it is today by ignoring this kind of input, so I suspect that many of the improvements we are discussing are under consideration. Of course, the timeframe for their implementation is anybody's guess.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Before or after Labor Day?
  • richa502richa502 Member Posts: 16
    1. 6 speed tranny with no hesitation.
    2. Redesigned dash. Remove the cover from the radio...it's just plain ugly.
    3. Bluetooth.
    4. The Limited should have the option of an Ebony interior.
    4. Power tilt and telescope.
    5. Passenger seat should have up/down capabilites.

And lastly, they should hurry up and release the 07 Avalon, because the 07 Camry seems like the better deal.
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    More suggestions for the "We'd like to see it" list:

Redesign the parking brake to automatically release when transmission selector is moved from Park to Drive.

Add a pen/pencil holder to the inside of the glove box door.

Allow CD player to play MP3 recordings.

Add an easily accessible "input" jack to the stereo system to allow use of other audio sources (Digital audio players, etc.).

Lose the cassette player--Who needs it--Try to purchase a music cassette today; it's nearly impossible--(Cassettes are rapidly approaching antique status)--Can't believe Toyota still thinks this is an essential/desired item.

Illuminate the gas and trunk release buttons (Sometimes you have to use these things at night).

Make the glass portion of the rear view mirror larger; it is too small. (Could reduce/eliminate the frame size to give larger glass area without significantly increasing overall size)
    I recall reading somewhere that the primary reason Toyota included a cassette player on the Avalon is that a lot of older adults enjoy listening to books on tape while driving. At the time the current Avalon was designed cassettes were still the primary format for audiobooks, but I believe that has changed and most are now also available on CD. So, the original rationale for the cassette player seems to have vanished.
    IMO - think that the basic similarity between the Avalon and Camry has always been a mistake on Toyota;s part. Prior to '05, the Avalon was nothing more than a slightly upsized slightly posher Camry at a premium. That all changed with the '05 with a much more aggressive design not to mention what is under the hood. And the sales increases have validated the wisdom of the changes and the differentiation. So now we come full circle again with the intro of the 07 Camry, and yes, it will be hard for many buyers to justify the extra $ for an Avalon - and Avalon sales may plummet almost back to '04 levels unless something different is done. Imagine that Toyota does better (profitwise) on Avalons than it does on Camrys competing in a much larger market segment - so doesn't it make sense that Toyota do something to the Av that really makes it a superior car? I'm still holding out for a RWD Toyota (that isn't a truck or a Lexus).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What would you like Toyota to do for the 2007 edition to better distinguish the Avalon?
    captain2: Totally agree! If it weren't for my son, I'd never have looked at the Avalon---I remembered them as Camry's in a "Prom Dress"---no real disitinction. Glad I drove one--love it! Now, if the Camry's continue to look like the Avalon's---guess I'll have to look elsewhere in 3 years or so. I mean, why pay extra $$$ for the same engine/transmission in an Avalon that looks like the normal mom & pop car. What Toyota needs to do now that the Avalon has regained its own personality, is to enhance the image--maybe a big A on the grill and make it unique----BMW has the "twin kidneys"--Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes--all are distinctive and easily recognizeable. Keep moiving "away" from the Camry image or once again the Avalon will be just another great vehicle in the Toyota line up.
    Bob
    the '05 redesign did plenty to differentiate the Av from styling point of view, and I also feel that the egronomics are wonderful although I guess the NAV needs some 'friendliness'.
    What I would like to see is for Toyota to REALLY turn the Avalon into a 'poor man's Lexus' which some may contend it already is. Dropping the XL end of the line, and turning the engine 90d a certain way to do this along with a starting pricetag of $35k or so with a standard option level approaching what a full boat Ltd. is currently. And don't drop the 'sports model', a ticket back into that 60+ demographic in which the previous Avalons languished along with Buicks and Caddys.
    well, at least the 07 Camry doesn't look too much like the 06 Avalon. While the Camry's styling is much improved, I personally prefer the Av - but point taken - when I was out car shopping a year ago the Avalon wasn't even on my list (Maximas, Tls, G35s) until I accidentally caught one on a dealer's lot, drove it, and the rest is history.
    FWIW, think there remains a very popular misconception that the Avalon is still a nondescript 'box'. My car is more often mistaken for a Lexus, even a BMW (from the rear, I guess) than it is for something as tame as what many folks think the Avalons are.
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    I'd really like to see the same power adjustments for the passenger seat as on the drivers seat - especially the seat extender on the LTD. Passengers have long legs too!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    The 4-way adjustment is just a cost cutting measure. My '03 XL had more adjustments on the pass seat than my '06 XLS.

On another note, I agree with previous posts that the cover on the radio should go. I never close it, and it obsures the CD opening when open. One other thing that needs "updating" is the RDS and CD Text. Why don't they scroll? Having to hold down the text button to advance the display is a distraction. Every other vehicle I have driven with RDS scrolls the data.

More power to differenciate the Avalon from the Camry. This would help to justify the price premium.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• catman2050catman2050 Member Posts: 28
    I think we're overlooking something here. The Avalon is a great car. Who cares if the new Camry aims to look like a smaller version of that great car with a similar engine? the fact is that the ride/comfort/driveability of the Avalon will always distinguish it from the Camry.

Other car manufacturers do the same thing. BMW's latest 5 series looks like a smaller version of the 7 series....and the newest 3 series comes closer to this image than the previous 3 series. BMW uses similar engines in the 3 series and the 5 series (except that the 5 series offers a more powerful engine than the 2.5 and 3.0 liters common to both 3 and 5 series). Other than price, the thing that separates the 3 series from the 5 series from the 7 series is size/comfort/ride/driveability....the same things that separate the Camry from the Avalon.
  • catman2050catman2050 Member Posts: 28
    throwing loose change in the sizeable center compartment with other junk in it makes that loose change difficult to access when you're searching for 21 cents to pay for your ice cream cone at Dairy Queen.

the solution is a simple one for Avalons without seat warmers...add a little tray/cup in the spot where the seat warmer controls would otherwise exist. Alternatively, a flip out tray could be added under the trunk/gas release buttons.
    The cover over the radio is a most distinctive Avalon feature, in my view. I almost always keep the cover closed since it is easier and safer to operate the steering-wheel mounted controls, anyway. The closed cover hides unnecessary distractions and contributes to the exceptionally clean and elegant look. As we recently realized, this look is subtly accentuated at night by faint blue-white overhead lights. I believe Consumer Reports listed the Avalon's interior among their "dream-car" features and the radio cover is probably part of the reason.

There may be an issue with the cover not opening completely out of the way. If so, it could be re-designed for 2007 to more fully retract inside the instrument panel.

havalongavalon
    Not only BMW but most upscale marques, from Mercedes to Jaguar to Lexus, consciously strive to maintain a "family resemblence" among the various models in their range. Can't fault Toyota for doing this too.
  • mittiemittie Member Posts: 5
    1. Throw away the door over the radio; it's useless and ugly
    2. The interior colors should be darker; no one wants to keep cleaning light carpet and the wood is too light.
    3. Add BlueTooth
    4. The Moon Roof should be an option (not mandatory) for those who want it. We live in Phoenix and no one wants the Moon Roof, it's already too hot!
    5. Let the buyer select the options they want instead of the packages.

We would have already purchased a new Avalon except for the above. We're now driving a 98 Avalon and love it! The interior is much more useful (darker) and the car was ordered without a Moon Roof. But the car now has 140,000 miles and it's time to replace it.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    When I first heard about the 07 Camry I was immediately sold. Never previously owned a Toyo. Went to local dealer to feast my eyes on the new reincarnated Camry. Couldn't help but notice the Avalon right beside it. Couldn't help but think that is actually a better looking car, despite the new styling. But no six speed auto & no bluetooth.
    Wish list? Far as I'm concerned they need not redesign the body. I wasn't exactly thrilled at what they did to the Camry. But right now, today, IMO it's the best deal in town. Update the Av with new tranny & bluetooth and you'd have a better looking car that has it all.
    In my own mind I've reserved a 07 SE Camry when I'm ready to buy in a few months. If I hear Toyo announce the new Av will be updated with those features, there is a good chance I'll rethink the Camry.
  • easttexaseasttexas Member Posts: 23
    Well put Cat! :D
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    You should look at the Touring model. It only comes with Black interior and the moonroof is an option, so you should be able to find one (or order it) without one.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    1.I am an Ole Foggie that fails to turn-off the turn signals after a lane change, I purchased a model with the illuminated signals in the outside mirrors. Still have the same problem in daylight (I do notice the signals at night). I suggest that a timed loud buzzer be included that would sound after a predetermined elapsed time with the signals on.
    2.The odometer on the 2005,s is so dim that it can hardly be seen in daylight. Use LED,s.
    3.Make Back-up Sensor a factory option.
  • dickh2dickh2 Member Posts: 9
    NO one has said anything about a 38k car that does not have a power TILT AND TEL. STEERING WHEEL....even the 28k Azera has that! A must when your 6'4" and your wife is 5,3"
    Maybe that's because most other 38K cars don't have power tilt/telescope either. If that is so important to you, guess you better buy the Azera.
    Smithy...Today I drove the ES 350 at 38K and it had the power tilt/telescope...Maybe YOU need to look a little more!
    Yeah, and that's how Toyota sells the ES, by not making every feature available on the Avalon. If they didn't reserve some of this stuff for the Lexus nameplate, very few people would pay 38K for what is essentially a glorified Camry. For 38K Toyota gives you the option of a bigger car, or a more lux car. If they gave you both for 38K, where would that leave the ES?
    Smith1...I don't disagree because this would be my third Avalon. Albeit, in the Limited it would be nice if the wheel was power. Also, do you agree that the computer should be upgraded to include service intervals and and possibly also tire pressure?
    Service intervals on the computer would be good, as long as they don't "nag" you with a flashing light or have to be reset/cleared by a dealer -- that would be irritating.

Tire pressure monitor would be a nice addition too -- this feature is showing up on lower priced vehicles now.
  • avalon95avalon95 Member Posts: 17
    Federal regulations are supposed to mandate some sort of tire pressure monitoring system on all cars by October, I believe.

See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8122995/
This discussion has been closed.