Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

191011121315»

Comments

• dhectorgdhectorg Member Posts: 25
    i've had my '09 fit sport manual in storm silver for a couple weeks now and i so love this car. I'm in the process of personalizing it and thought i'd comment on the accessories that i've added so far.

1) center armrest. many people on here are incorrectly stating that the full armrest is not compatible with the manual trans. IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH MANUAL TRANS. it's in my car, so i would know. i like the armrest, but it's much smaller than i thought it would be...barely room for my garmin gps in there.

2) all weather floor mats. these are essential in for ohio winters. they are identical in size/shape to the carpet ones and are of excellent quality.

3) rear cargo cover. i wasn't sure i wanted this, since it requires you to add snaps to the rear seats (they have to actually be screwed into the seats) on the '09 fit. and since it just raises up with the hatch (via cables that you connect to the hatch), you can't put anything tall in back of the car without taking the cover out completely, which i guess is no big deal. all in all, i'm glad i have it bc now i can keep stuff out of view.

4) side window visors. i love the way they look on the car...really adds to the sportiness of the profile. i don't think it's a great design, from an installation point of view, but i'm pretty sure they'll stay in place for many yrs. another high quality accessory from honda.

i'm thinking of adding some of the interior carbon fiber trim pieces, but i'm afraid it'll wind up looking gaudy. also, i'm definitely gonna add some tint to the windows. there's soo much glass on this car that it really heats up the interior. does anyone know anything about window tinting here? i'm thinkin of doin it myself, but i'd sure regret it if i f*#ked it up! also, what's the law say about tint? what's the darkest shade that's legal?

thanks in advance for any and all input!

dg
    i forgot to mention where i got my accessories.... bernardiparts.com

they specialize in honda and audi parts...and had the lowest prices that i could find online...and their shipping is super fast (2 days from mass. to ohio).
    i've posted this before, but it seems alot of people still think the upgraded armrest isn't comapatible with the manual shift ft. IT IS INDEED COMPATIBLE. i installed it on my '09 fit sport manual and it does not interfere with the shifter in any way what-so-ever. my guess is that honda decided the it's 2.5mm too close to the shifter and deemed it unsafe. in any case, it will work.
    btw, the dealer where i bought my fit doesn't honor honda's rule, if any such rule exists, bc they do install these into manual fits

dg
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Here is another great site for Honda accessories. Zeta Products in NJ has many parts for subcompacts. I have purchased some of the items for my 05 Scion XB and am very satisfied with all I received. I installed the armrest 3 years ago( actually my 10 year old installed it in about 8 minutes with my direction) and its functioning perfectly.

http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3
  • fitnsportyfitnsporty Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if and where OEM or suitable after market mud flaps are available for the 09' Honda Fit Sport model?? Dealerfit.com denotes that their flaps don't go on the 09' Sport model. Hellllpp.. Thanks, Fitnsporty
    splash guards aren't available for the fit sport because of the side skirts installed on that model. honda simply hasn't made oem flaps for the fit sport. whether or not an aftermarket manufacturer will, remains to be seen.

don
  • JimLuddenJimLudden Member Posts: 4
    I like the idea of the headlamps being active running lights. But I don't like my rear to be dark. (My Toyota let me leave the running lights switched on all the time and automatically turned them off with the key, but Honda doesn't seem to do this.) So I switch on the running lights whenever I start the engine.

This is awkward, even though the car warns me not to leave the lights on after I turn off the key. So I would like to connect the taillights to the circuit that turns on the headlights. This circuit would turn the taillights on and off when I run the car.

Where is the best place to change the wiring? [The wiring diagrams do not seem to be published yet.]
    VSA is not available on the 09 base Fit, but most of the sport and base models are the same. I would like to add stability control (VSA) to my base model.

What parts would I have to change out to achieve VSA on the base model? (The worst case would cost more than just buying the Sport!)
  • wsalcedowsalcedo Member Posts: 8
    I also have Zeta armrest for my 08 Fit Sports. It fits very well but my problem is that the screws driven into the existing cup holders go into soft material and does not really make the armrest very sturdy. Putting pressure directly downward is ok because of the good fit but putting pressure on the sides makes the armrest a little wobbly. I'm thinking of replacing the existing screws with longer ones but I'm not sure if it will just drive into more soft material underneath. Any good experience with any alternative? Thanks.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    One of the previous posters stated that he used industrial velcro instead of the screws and that the fit was very tight and the velcro kept things snug. I have not done this in my XB as it fits tightly as is. The vinyl on top of the storage lid has begun to peel off after 3 1/2 yrs and I'm considering alternative cover for it. Overall I'm pleased with the Zeta armrest and the XB.
    I have long legs. While the driving position is not bad, I would be more comfortable if I could move the seat back about two inches. I've done this on other cars, but the 09 Fit seems to have the seats riveted to the floor brackets, rather than bolted.
    Honda may have used rivets because the heads are shallow, and there might not be room enough for bolt heads. (The weather has been too cold for me to crawl around down there for very long, so I have not explored thoroughly.)

Is there a reasonably good way to move the driver's seat back?
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    I see nobody replied to your message. So here goes, you can't add stability control to a car. It is a very complex system that brakes individual wheels and may also use engine breaking for additional stopping force. VSA uses all kinds of sophisticated gyro sensors and computer chips to determine when the car is losing control. This is not as simple as say adding new brake pads or something, and there is no way to purchase such a system aftermarket that I know of. Even if you could I have to imagine the upgrade would cost many thousands of dollars.

My advice, if VSA is that important to you (it was to me) just get the sport model with navigation. At $18,500 it's still a damn cheap car to include navigation and VSA, so there is no sense skimping on the base model. Simply not worth it. Why Honda made the boneheaded decision to only include VSA with the navigation system is beyond me. VSA should be available across the board on the sport model. Well by 2011 Honda won't have a choice because it will be government mandated all cars will have the system. It's a proven life saver, so it's take long enough to finally get this installed as standard equipment on all cars.
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    I found several good sources for aftermarket cruise control for the 2007 & 2008 models but, so far, have not yet seen a kit for the 2009. (The 2008 kit won't work with the 2009.)

I'm still watching the Internet but hope anyone else who finds a good OEM source will pass it on.
  • ytaroytaro Member Posts: 2
    How about

waeco ms-800 ,ms-900 ,

DIRECTED ELECTRONICS Data Cruise Control System for DBW Systems - Chevy/ Honda/ Kia/ Nissan/ Sentra/ GMC AM12DATA

or Rosta kit .

Did anybody try some ?
  • ytaroytaro Member Posts: 2
    Does any know what is differnt between fit 2008 and 2009 .

If there is only the shape of the accelration pedal sencer conector , it is easy to transplant the 2008 kit to 2009 . But it is not so easy .

Please explain it .
  • fitcharliefitcharlie Member Posts: 1
    Definitely go with the Tint. I would have a professional do it. He/She can advice you, on what is the maximum legal tint. Makes a big difference on interior temp in the Summer and blocks some of the UV rays that fade your black cloth. My next changes is to find a dash cover and seat covers.
    According to the supplierI have been dealing with--SPL Electronics, Rosta has not yet made a cruise control kit for the 2009. It is supposedly "in the plan" but down the priority list behind a number of other new models where I guess they believe there will be a larger market. (This was as of early February.) The supplier promises to call me but suspected it would be early summer--a couple months after my planned long trip to south Florida for which I had hoped to have it.
    I'm being told it is the computer programming, since the Rosta cruise control connects directly into the Fit's computer system. No details but this isn't a "mechanical fit" problem.
  • sschoe2sschoe2 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering what the most economical remote entry would be for a 09 base fit. All I want is a remote that locks/unlocks the doors and trunk. I am hesitant to buy the Honda kit because I don't want to start with programming the keys and stuff I'd rather just have a remote.

I tend to be a do-it-your-selfer. Is this a very difficult job? Are the instructions straight forward as in plug this cord into this jack.
  • waynephelpswaynephelps Member Posts: 2
    Gary: Can I trouble you with a question regarding the wiring? Does the Fit have a connector for a wiring harness such as the Curt T-connector? I will appreciate any guidance or info about the wiring kit you used.

I have a 2008 Fit and installed a Hidden Hitch. I plan to buy a 200-lb trailer for hauling kayaks, bikes, or camping gear (maybe another 200-300 lbs of weight). I am glad to hear that the Fit can handle that load without any difficulty.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    Just compared bernardiparts to collegehillshonda for shipping charges to CA. BP was $30 where CHH was $12, much more than wiping out the slightly cheaper price at BP. Shipping and Handling is the devil that bites you when you're not looking.
  • flosswindeflosswinde Member Posts: 2
    Loving our new 2009 Fit, but why no cargo cover? We want one, but the instruction sheet says you have to screw it in to the back seats. Can anyone tell me if you can just snap it in without putting in screws?
    We also want a cargo net, but all photos show it laying flat on the floor. Does the net attach so it stands up vertically? not even our dealer seemed to know these things!
  • whitehawkwhitehawk Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know who makes a rear sway bar kit for a 2008 Fit DX? Thanks.

Whitehawk
  • audenhoggartaudenhoggart Member Posts: 1
    If I order the center console accessory for the Honda Fit Sport, how would it's height compare to the factory-installed driver armrest that comes with the Sport model? I like to rest my right arm while driving, but the factory installed driver armrest is too high.

I have a Honda Civic that came with a center console that's the right height for me. I also like that it moves forward and back, and apparently the dealer installed console also has this feature.

Does anyone know if the Honda Fit center console would be approximately the same height as the Honda Civic console, or would it be at the higher position of the driver armrest that comes with the Fit Sport as a standard item?
  • jarewjarew Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jim,

Jim here too, and have them long legs also "35" inseam". Going to test drive later today and realize that a short test drive won't show potential longer wheel time discomforts. Got any insight I might want to know?

Jim Wento
  • wjbalikowjbaliko Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone gotten the Quick shifter option with their
    manual transmission?

I'm familiar with a short shifter on a BMW.
    If the Fit has a truly short shifter it should improve
    the shifting dramatically.

Anyone have any comments?
    Thanks guys
  • cruiserbruisercruiserbruiser Member Posts: 14
    I've read in other forums that a $40, 2007 CR-V key can be programmed to lock and unlock a base model Fit. Has anyone here tried this?
  • cruiserbruisercruiserbruiser Member Posts: 14
    Update: It works, keyless entry for $40,however, panic button does not operate.
  • macfitmacfit Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an '09 base Fit and want to install a roof rack made by Topline -- the Melrose model. The installation involves drilling holes in the roof sheet metal in order to permanently mount 4 mounting pads using blind rivet inserts and screws. I'm aware that the curtain air bag system runs along the edge of the roof just above the side windows and that there are cross braces and wiring harnesses. I would like to avoid the hassle of removing the head liner in order to get a visual. Has anyone done a similar installation or have any advice on this one?
  • fitfreakfitfreak Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me how long that you have been using your trailer on your Honda Fit and if it has caused any mechanical problems? I was thinking about an all aluminum trailer 300lbs. and just light loads to Home Depot. I have an 2009 Honda Fit automatic Please advise.
  • waynephelpswaynephelps Member Posts: 2
    I have not towed my trailer yet. I noticed the car itself is rated for 800 lb carrying capacity for my 2008 Fit (with automatic transmission). I have a 250 lb trailer and do not plan to load any more than 300-400 lbs of cargo. This should keep the load relatively light and I do not anticipate any problems. I am still hoping this is okay on the transmission. Sorry I can't really answer your question yet.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    That's fine as long as YOU weigh no more than 150 lbs. Remember--the payload (carrying capacity) includes all passengers and cargo.
  • jenniferm3jenniferm3 Member Posts: 1
    I also came across ballmounts.com when I was looking for a ball mount for my hitch.
  • beegrantbeegrant Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there have experience with long distance trailer towing with their Fit? I am considering towing a small U-Haul trailer from Maine to Oregon.
  • kenfunsterkenfunster Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I bought a 2010 Fit 5 spd last year and installed a Draw Tite hitch on it for occasional towing.
    I have used my Fit to pull my 4.5x6' trailer which empty weighs 455lbs for occasional use. I have very carefully pulled that trailer with our camping gear 70 miles on the highway, with about 1000lbs total weight (incl. trailer) and 3 people in car, a couple of times. Considering the maximum tongue weight of the hitch is 150lbs, if the trailer is loaded properly and weight is balanced the weight of the trailer on the tongue and the rear suspension is less than 150lbs. I live out on the flat prairie and with understanding of the amount of weight and limitations of the car and what damage can occur, accelerate and break very gently and cruise 60mph or under. I don't think it would be wise to do this regularly or in hilly or mountainous terrain, or for that far a distance, especially with A/T..... unless total weight of trailer and load under 500lbs as my Fit pulls trailer when empty effortlessly. I have also brought home 1200 lbs of concrete from Home Depot but only short distance, (6 miles)
  • wbfrankwbfrank Member Posts: 3
    I have installed a trailer hitch and it works well. I inherited a 4x8 trailer which does not have a lot of weight and haul stuff to the dump. I guess that if you don't haul over 4-500 lbs it is OK. But it does look funny since the trailer is pretty much as big as the car.'

WBF
  • cruzitudecruzitude Member Posts: 5
  • bpollenbpollen Member Posts: 11
    I ordered @ time of purchase the center console arm rest thing. They didn't have one to show me, so I could only go by the picture they showed me. Now I'm wondering if it will sit too high, since in the pic, I could see the regular arm rest below it. I want to have a pathway between the front seats for my dogs to go (not necessary, but it would be nice), and the arm rest that is already in the car is at a nice height for me, AND the cup holders and cubbies that are already there are pretty useful, so I'd hate to lose those. But since I haven't seen the setup in real life, it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have the center console, and if so, do you like it? Do you find it that useful?

I doubt they'd give me a refund on that, but maybe they'd let me choose another accessory instead, since none of the option installation has been done yet.

(This is such a cute little car! I don't think I've ever been this pleased with a car that I've bought before. I paid too much, but got what I wanted. It'll serve me well for a few years. And it's just so cute! I love it, love it, love it.)
  • teaton1teaton1 Member Posts: 3
    For our 2011 Fit Sport, I just bought new alloy wheels with Blizzak snow tires. I upgraded the size of tire to 205/50/16.

No snow yet, but what a major improvement in noise reduction, comfort and handling.

I thought about tossing the wheel/tire package that came with the car and upgrading the all-seasons to this larger size, but we only use this car in town so I will live with the standard tires during good weather.

Mequon, Wisconsin
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • skim101skim101 Member Posts: 1
    I just got everything in my car stolen overnight. When I got inside the car there was no sign of forced entry (i.e. broken windows or scratch marks on the window) aside from everything that was of any worth gone. I do distinctly remember locking the car. I am furious and frustrated. There was another car next to mine and it had the navigation displayed on the dashboard and nothing seems to happened to that car. My navigation system is gone with all the wiring.