Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• jethadenjethaden Posts: 36
    Seat covers: Check out web page at www.coverking.com to see what they have. I bought the CR-Grade Neoprene covers. I actually ordered from www.car-truck-accessories.com but you could easily order from any of the gold star distributors/resellers at www.coverking.com/buynow.html dealers. Reseller price is substantially less than direct list price sale. The covers are made on a custom order basis and take several weeks to be shipped.
  • ehoward92ehoward92 Posts: 3
    Anyone out there get hitch and hitch bike rack for the FIT? My dealer said it can be done. He also said the roof rack could be done too but I haven't found a place online I can order either from. The honda website doesn't even seem to have bike racks - unless I am completely missing them!
  • havingafithavingafit Posts: 22
    YES!!!! Go to http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Honda_Fit.htm to order a reciever. Then just buy whatever type hitch rack you would like! I wouldn't go larger than a 3-bike rack due to the Fit's weight limitation for people/cargo. (Max is something like 800 lbs, so if you are carrying 4 bikes and 4 people, you're likely to be pushing the limits!)
  • foster39foster39 Posts: 4
    Hey Havingafit,

I see that you have purchased the hitch for fit. Did you install this yourself or did you have someone install it for you? If you did install the hitch how easy was it? Easy to remove the udder?

Looking forward to hearing about the installation experience.
    Hi! I had the hitch installed for me. It took them about 10 minutes and cost like $20.00 if I remember correctly. I did keep the udder in case I need it when I eventually (can't imagine why!) trade the Fit in (no time soon!!!!)!
  • ehoward92ehoward92 Posts: 3
    For those of you with bike rack hitches on the FIT... how do you find ground clearance and usability with having the hitch rack? Are you happy with it?
    I am very happy with mine. I have no problem with ground clearance, and I have the type of rack that you can tilt in order to open the hatch. Works great for me!
  • banachbanach Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I was about to install a Yakima Rack with Q5 clips on my Fit, but while under the car, changing the oil, I noticed no obvious spots to tie a rope from the bow of the canoe to the car. There was an obvious tie-down spot at the rear of the car, but not in the front. The owners manual says specifically not to use the screw-in tow ring as a tie-down point. My Honda dealer said to call customer service at Honda. I did so, and was told that Honda does not sell a rack for the Fit and the shop manual does not list any tie-down points on the car. In other words, I got no help. I asked if nothing is to be carried on the top of the car, why not say that in the owners manual at the spot where you are told not to tow anything with the Fit.

I called Yakima and asked if they actually tied down a canoe on the Fit when they created a rack system for the car, and the person I spoke to said no, they don't. They could not suggest a point on the car to tie the bow of the canoe, but of course do say such a line is required.

Where have you folks who have carried a canoe with the Fit tied down the bow of the canoe to the car ? I have seen some keyhole like slots on the bumper itself, but the Honda representative could not say what those slots were for, and a latching a hook in such a spot seems like a very weak link.

Thanks !
  • masik03masik03 Posts: 10
    My two cents: I've used the screw-in tow ring to tie down a kayak, To me it seems like it would be the 'strongest' link in any rack system. I didn't like the look of the permanent tow ring though and found a place under the hood where I attached a thin rope loop protruding above the hood. One loop on each side to which I can tie down two kayaks. The loops come out midway on the headlight assembly. I have used this system for over a year with no bad effects.
  • I just put a Thule rack on our Fit and encountered the same lack of forward tie down point. I plan on using the hood latch bracket which seems quite stout - and run a line out the front of the hood. My concern is that all the upward force is carried by the hood latch. Not sure at all that I want to go out on the freeway and drive 75 mph with this arrangement - ie the hood flies open, the boat flies off the car, etc., etc.

I know it's caveat emptor out there, but it sure would be nice if these rack manufacturers would think of these little details ahead of time.

PT
  • masik03masik03 Posts: 10
    The upward forces on a canoe must be many times greater than on a kayak. 75MPH with a canoe and a center latch tie-down sounds risky to me too.
    Your best bet is to use the screw-in tow ring. If you can tow the car from this point why can't you tie down a canoe from the same point. Second choice would be an under hood tie-down on each side of the hood.
  • fitdcfitdc Posts: 9
    Use the tow point on the front left of the bumper. I have mounted a "permanent" hook in the metric screwpoint for tying down my lightweight single canoe and other big things. The roof is a little tinny so don't overload it. FitDC
  • jethadenjethaden Posts: 36
    I recently bought the Yakima Rack with Q5 clips. I used the screw in tow ring to tie down my 14' sea kayak with fine results. I would see no good reason for Honda to say not to use it as it is very strong. I generally am not too trusting of the Q5 clips and how well they clipped into the door. They do not seem that strong and stable, but are acceptable. I would not trust them without a strong bow and stern tie down. The Fit and kayak just completed a 1600 mile drive with absolutely no problems. Gas millage dropped at least 6-8 MPG thou (37 to 29-30).
  • I have the very same setup on my Fit, the yakima rack and Q clips. I used the tow ring and had no trouble driving 1700 miles with Kayak on top, through the Rocky Mountains even.
  • sccop5sccop5 Posts: 1
    Hi folks-
    Just bought a Fit. Where can I get a screw-in tow ring?
    MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!
  • under the tire I believe, with the tire wrench thingy. Whatever it is called. I don't know my tool names. Its in a little bag.
  • banachbanach Posts: 2
    You should be aware that Honda states in the owners manual not to use the tow ring as a tie-down point. That said, I am grateful to those who have shared their experiences in managing to carry a canoe (or Kayak) on the Fit despite what Honda says. Has anyone gotten an answer from Honda as to why there are no tie-down points on the front of the car and why they specifically state not to use the tow ring as a tie-down point ?
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    A portable GPS is now available. However its a rebadged garmin nuvi with a honda logo.
  • There's a product called 'top ties' (http://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=97&rn=773&action=show_detail) that might work for you. Also, I've been told by more than one canoe dealer that the front tie down rope is more of a backup in case the straps holding the canoe to the rack slip or break.
  • Has anyone extensively researched which dealership/retailer offers the Honda accessories at the cheapest price? Shipping charges are also to be considered. I'd like to order floor mats, locking gas cap and lug nuts etc. all from one outlet to save money. Any knowledge/help would be appreciated.
  • I got my black Fit Sport with the 16" wheels and boy they look sharp! I also got the Music Link for my iPod, but I haven't had much chance to fully use it because only a month after I had my car it was broken into and they stole my iPod from the glovebox. :cry: The thief must've known to look there.

Anyway, insurance won't cover the iPod (thru homeowners insurance, which has a $500 deductible on top of the $500 auto deductible for the car repairs). I'll probably wait until I can afford an iPhone. Does anyone know if the Music Link system is compatible with the iPhone and the newer releases of iTunes software?

And while I'm talking about the wheels, are the 16" heavier than the factory 15" wheels by any significant margin? My mileage has been subpar (26-29mpg on average) and I'm wondering if the wheels might be a contributing factor, besides my heavy right foot. Just kidding, I'm not an aggressive driver and shift up at 2 to 3000 rpm.

I noticed on the Honda site that both the 16" wheels and the Music Link are no longer listed as accessories. Are they still offered? It's curious that Honda would be taking accessory options AWAY as the Fit becomes more and more popular. In any case, I'm glad I got both... they really add to my feeling that I got a much more substantial car for the money. Guess I should feel lucky I got them while they were still available.
  • I have the 07 base auto model. I am looking for a new stereo. Is there an aux input in the back of the base model radio that i can't see? Also, what are other people putting in the fits, I want to be able to connect my IPOD.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    it may not be significant, but they DO add weight. The lower profile tires don't help you mileage either. If you got them straight from the factory, they proably are shod with bridgestone re70's the same type of tire that cars like the vw gti come with standard. not exactly a recepie for good mpg.

the reason the music link is not on the website is because it got discontinued. the wheels are no longer there due to the new 08 fit having a tire pressure monitoring system.
  • There are lots of market where you can get Honda
    accessories but I suggest you look here first
    http://www.discounthonparts.com/honda-accessories/ because they have nice deals and
    great quality.
  • unfitunfit Posts: 12
    Is this the armrest?

http://www.armrest-autoaccessories.com/pb/wp_1bfbfbab/wp_1bfbfbab.html?0.7066260- 172920256

Anyone have experience with this one from Armrest King? I am looking for one that is sturdy,equal in height with the door armrest, sticks out far enough so that I can put my elbow on it and still reach the wheel, and allows room for me to apply the brake. Thanks!
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    go to www.aj-racing.com and go under jdm accesories, and you will find the genuine japanese market armrest for the fit.

the one you posted is an aftermarket one.
  • I'm looking to improve the radio reception by replacing the stubby roof antenna on the back of my Fit Sport (NOT Jazz, which has a different antenna entirely). Does anyone know the specification for the screw-mount connection used? Is it the same as that for flexible marine radio antennas? I figure that increasing its length to 1/8 wave (basically doubling its length) for FM would make a significant improvement in performance without significantly endangering it, but I don't find anyone selling longer replacement aftermarket antennas -- just shorter ones!
  • I purchased a cloth-covered arm rest from Quality Auto Interiors for about $130.

link title

It works great. I was concerned about it sticking out far enough also. It has a movable top and can slide forward. Got it in Black, and it matches very closely my black interior.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Honda now has an armrest kit coming soon.