Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,753
    I read 9.3 seconds for the fit which is only slightly better than the older Accents I found.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Wait for the Accent 3door to drop and then compare 0-60, if you really want to; Accent 3door is ultra-light compared to the rest of the class - APPLES to APPLES would be more fair - wouldn't you say?

At any rate, I am not exactly sure if 0-60 is a big decision factor during purchase of these sub-compacts...

PS: as others have already mentioned, go drive a Hyundai before posting incorrect information.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Oh yeah, we had a Dodge Caravan too, rear suspension sank in 2 years along with the transmission. My uncle had the Chevy Corsica with the peeling paint job. I remember seeing most of his hood paint gone. If you know GM, you should know about this issue for some of their models.

Don't get me wrong though, although I remember what is wrong with these cars to make a point, they sure do bring back some great childhood memories. That caprice classic on road trips is sweet. Are they the first to come with the fold down 3rd row seats? :)

Are you sure? The HP torque and weight numbers are almost the same on both cars. Anyway if Hyundai ever starts selling the Accent SR there will be no question on that.

Yes, I am sure. My old 2002 Hyundai Accent GL 5spd has about the same hp/torque rating as the Fit but the Hyundai is a lot slower on pickup than the Fit. The Fit really does take off.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Wow... That is a lot of Buicks! Now I get it. ;)
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    My dad liked Olds and Buick. Actually, Olds more, but ~1980 was about the last days of Olds being Olds - and different than Buick.

Me - I loathed how they drove. How they felt. Only my mom's newer LeSabre has a decent suspension and interior, plus enough power. But it's huge. Compared to GM, my first car out of college that I bought (used), was a 1975 Volvo 164E. It was crazy fast, at ~160HP I-6, stickshift, and not quite 3000lbs.

I've had only one Buick since(and that was because my dad gave it to me for free).

GM's real problem is that their cars are good, reliable, but suffer like the Camry is beginning to - it's good, but not special. For $30K, you can get special, or close to it. So why settle for adequate?

I mean - spend $40K for a Caddy or $40K for a Boxter? Lol. That's not *quite* fair, but to many peolpe it is - they want a good car and GM makes the second or third best option for the money.
  • cecirdrcecirdr Posts: 9
    I hadn't thought about this car at all. I'm still shopping for a new car based on specs and working up a "gameplan" before I start to test drive cars at dealerships.

Major factors for me in a new car are ability to play mp3s and as quiet a ride as these small cars can provide. The hyundai might be tops in the quietness category. From what I can tell it appears they've gotten their reliability way up. I'm not looking to sell a car in a few years...I'm looking for a long term 10 year car that I can put bunches of miles on.

Is the 2007 accent just the 3 door hatch version of the 2006 sedan. If the features are the same, then I might consider the sedan since they're usually quieter than hatches.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ceci
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    There will be a 2007 sedan also, but the main differences from the 2006 seem to be that ABS is no longer standard, but part of the Preferred package (with A/C and power package), and alloys will come now in a Preferred Sport package, meaning you will be able to get an Accent sedan with the power accessories, ABS, A/C, and no alloys if you want to. That isn't possible in the U.S. with the 2006 Accent.

The 3-door, especially the SE, should have much better handling than the sedan due to a sport-tuned suspension and steering, and 16" alloys. But the ride will probably be stiffer too. Also a high-zoot stereo and power moonroof are available options on the SE, but not on the sedan.
    I mean - spend $40K for a Caddy or $40K for a Boxter?

Personally I would go with the Caddy. Caddy just seems to have a more subdued image of more content people. While the Boxter screams middle aged crazy.

"Today he traded his big 98 Oldsmobile
    He got a heck of a deal
    On a new Porsche car"

Plus its so much more fun blowing the doors of a Boxter in my Caddy :blush:

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

I have a friend who owns a Boxter - and it is a total kick in the rear end to drive. Way better than a Miata.

But it's not terribly practical, to be sure :)

RE: Adding the accent to your list:
    I looked and the best value for the dollar right now seems to be the Accord VP. It has all the stuff the Hyundai has, but at $16K($16,250 will the end of the month) - it's a stunning deal.

P.S. the "deal" over at GM will be in a year and a half, when you can get a $35K Lucerne CXS with the Northstar V8 in it for about 20K. Say what you will about them, but GM are good *used* cars, since they depreciate quickly, yet are mechanically sound - at least as sound as Nissan and Hyundai and Suzuki, and nothing they have for 20K new compares to how the used luxury GM car will drive, even with two years of wear on it.
    If you mean the Accent, the Accord VP is lacking several features of an Accent, plus the Accent is about $2700 less before any discount by the dealer.

Also... this is a discussion about the Fit vs. Accent, not the Accord vs. Accent.
    But it's not terribly practical, to be sure

Yep try taking a bunch of people and the luggage to the airport in a Boxter.

I looked and the best value for the dollar right now seems to be the Accord VP. It has all the stuff the Hyundai has, but at $16K($16,250 will the end of the month) - it's a stunning deal.

I wouldn't say that, $16K is way under invoice for the Accord. I would say that you are going to pay close to $18K for it. A fully loaded Elantra can be had for close to $15K and an Accent for even less.

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/style?make=HO&modelid=108&zipcode=91020&trim_gro- ups=sedan4door2.4l,

Click on the link. That's Los Angeles, CA.
    $15,962. Honda is running a $750 rebate until the end of may, and these sell for a couple of hundred over invoice, so it really IS a $16K Accord. Superb deal.

That also includes delivery.

Denver, CO.
    http://www.carsdirect.com/build/style?make=HO&modelid=108&zipcode=80202&trim_gro- ups=sedan4door2.4l,
    $16,362 (delivery is a bit more)

Atlanta, GA.
    http://www.carsdirect.com/build/style?make=HO&modelid=108&zipcode=30318&trim_gro- ups=sedan4door2.4l,
    $15,672(different rebates out east, so it seems)

I repeated this all over the country - it's consistently around $16,000 now, for most of the U.S.
    Let's all chant:
    Fit vs. Accent
    Fit vs. Accent
    Fit vs. Accent
    Fit vs. Accent
    Fit vs. Accent
    Fit vs. Accent

Well, I was merely pointing out that there are a couple of good alternatives to the small 15K overpriced econobox segment out there. That Aren't year-end GM fire-sale models, either. :)

I'd much rather get the Accord VP, though, than a Fit Sport. Really a no-brainer if you drive them both. The Fit handles better, but it's not as smooth and refined on the highway. It ... it needs an EX luxury package ASAP with all the little things fixed.

The Hyundais are nice, I have to admit, but their engines and gearboxes aren't as good as even what GM and Ford make(neither are Subaru and a half dozen others), so it kind of left a flat taste in my mouth. Felt like a Buick, in fact - great interior, and stodgy, old engine/drivetrain. Like a fine car, but so "last decade". Now, that's not to say Hyundais aren't good values for what they are, but they aren't a Honda Accord or Pontiac(Toyota) Vibe - which is the other killer deal after rebates.

Now the Vibe - it truly is a Fit killer. After rebates(just wait - GM will offer them again in a month or two) - it drops to Fit Sport range, and it's well, a better car. More everything and only a bit bigger. Plus, all the GM goodies and gadgets. Not bad for a stripped-down economy car. $18K(decently optioned out with ABS, side aribags, etc) now - $16K when the 2007s come out :)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    "The Hyundais are nice, I have to admit, but their engines and gearboxes aren't as good as even what GM and Ford make"

I have not driven manual transmission Hyundais, but the engine/automatic transmission I have driven on a few Fords are some of the most pathetic attempts at a drivetrain I have seen.

Besides size (something you seem to be big on -- no pun intended), what advantages does the Vibe have over a Fit. Maybe list them on the Fit vs. Matrix discussion being that this is the "Fit vs. Accent! Fit vs. Accent!" discussion. ;)
    let's head over there, then...

:)
  • I did not get a chance to test drive the Fit as they were all sold.

I did however test drive a stripped GS with a 5 speed and it felt very smooth and shifted just fine. I really enjoyed it.

I did however end up buying an Accent SE 4 speed auto. I had to go with the auto due to the lack of a 5 speed and I did not want to wait.

I am very happy with my Accent SE 3 door hatch and as far as I am concerned the fit and finish is all there. As far as the FIT goes...it looks like a mini-minivan. It looks too tall, too bad porportioned. I didn't get to check the interior but I really love the way my Accent is layed out. The only thing I complain about is the fact that I have to reach quite a bit to grab the seat belt. Other then that I love it. Highly reccomend looking at one.

I will try and test drive the Honda FIT the next time I go to my Hyundai Dealer as they have a Honda section right next door.
    Congrats on the SE! I can't even find an SE to test-drive. I did drive the GS stick and liked it, but I need ABS and would like a little crisper handling, which the SE has.

The nearest dealer to me said they got a few SEs in but they sold immediately, and they don't expect to get any more in until January. They had a couple of GSes and several GLSes. The GLS is an option too, but it's close to the price of the SE and the SE has the sport suspension and much nicer wheels, and little touches like leather wheel/shifter.
  • You guys have to check out this sweet test drive that Automobile mag did... wow. Anyone up for kicking up some dirt? And if you listen carefully at the end, they say it's BETTER than the Honda Fit!

http://www.automobilemag.com/multimedia/video/0609_2006_hyundai_accent_se_3_door- /
    "More fun than a Honda Fit" actually. :)

What's interesting is that they drove and reported on a car that doesn't exist.
    Which car doesn't exist?

A 2006 Accent SE.
    Simple typo, I wouldn't get to upset over it.

Who is upset? I think it's kind of humorous though.
  • Would it be possible to combine the discussions into a "SubCompact Comparison Thread" or "Value Vehicles for $15k" much as we have in the "Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread?"

It seems that people could compare them all if they wanted to much easier in there, and there are obviously a plethora of choices out there for $15k, which deserve to be discussed at length, if possible, altogether.

Just a thought for those who aren't happy when other vehicles are mentioned.
    We do have Low End Sedans (under $16k) and Economy Sedans ($16k-20k) discussions. Would those work for what you have in mind?
  • Oh, I had seen the $16-20k discussion, but didn't know about the under $16k. Thanks!
  • Having test driven the new Accent SE, I'd like to respond to the comments about its manual shifting. I think it's excellent - very smooth and precise and comfortable. I loved my 2000 Focus and thought it's shifting was fine and that there's not much difference in shifting - wrong! I don't want shifting that is hard or fights back. I think the Accent is fun to drive and after another test drive, I will likely buy one. Great equipment, surprising quality, excellent value. I can't comment on the Fit's shifting. Dealers can't keep them here long enough to test drive one! And they are marking up the price $500-1000, and I won't play that game.
    That is good to hear. I thought the stick Accent GLS I drove had a fine shifter. Not rifle-bolt precise, but smooth and with easy clutch engagement. The manual Fit I drove was notchy--not very fun to row through the gears.

The Accent SE is about as hard to get in my area as the Fit. My nearest dealer had a couple of SEs, sold them right away, and says they won't get any more until January. The GS hatch was pleasant to drive, but I'd like to check out the sport suspension on the SE.

Also, I saw a test video on the SE from Automobile Magazine (Web) that mentioned an aftermarket short-throw shifter. I know about such a shifter for the Elantra that improves shift feel considerably--like the Accent, the Elantra's shifter is pretty "tall". Have you heard anything about this? The short-throw shifter for the Elantra is pretty cheap, about $120.