Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

Comments

• goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Every car line has rattles in some of its cars.

Oh but wait! Not Hyundai. They don't cause you definitely said that they don't.

I'm glad that's settled.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Dude, I only speak for my cars and ownership experience and I thought that was specific. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a Hyundai as I just bought a Honda Fit. I think you are just biased against Hyundai that you can't believe a car company that used to have a bad track record can redeem themselves by actually paying attention in making rattle free cars.

I did not comment on Honda as I have no recent experience with their model line. I do comment on the Acura TSX and Nissan Maxima, check their forums and the creaks/rattles speak for themselves.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    We have a 2002 Civic coupé that has some rattling in the dashboard. I can say with 225 miles on my Fit so far that I have not heard a single rattle (and I have gone on some very bumpy roads). I have always had Hondas, and even those had some sort of odd noise, but nothing with the Fit yet. Knock on wood!
  • wonderwallwonderwall Posts: 126
    but i own a 2005 Hyundai Elantra and there is nothing close to a rattle in it. The Mazda Protege 5 I had before it was rattle free for the 2 1/2 years I had it before it was totalled. My wife's Civic has had plenty of rattles almost from day one, but it is a very good car otherwise.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    rubbery shifter in the Accent and loose handling. They give the Rio5 better marks with handling at least.

The Honda Fit wins in a landslide with them. It does the handling thing right and has lots of available storage. I don't like it's looks though I don't hate it's looks. I just dislike them enough to avoid buying a Fit, so I guess that counts.

In this segment it's the Toyota Yaris sedan and the Kia Rio LX and Kia Rio5 for me as the winners. The competition is causing some great new cars to be available to us here in the States.

I think that the Yaris sedan sways me with it's neat looks and legenday Toyota quality, though, anymore, Kia is right up there with them. Stay tuned.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• ramoramo Posts: 66
    This is a very entertaining forum. Wish I could chip in my 2 cents about a Hyundai, but I haven't driven one since 2000; that Accent was inferior to the other cars we test drove. (Protege, Echo). My husband works around heavy machinery, so wanted a quiet car. Then, the Accent was deafening. However, Phil Edmonston, who writes Lemon Aid, my bible to buying used. loves the steadily improving Hyundais, great used buys. His bias is towards safe, cheap and reliable transportation. By the way, he loves the Echo as a best used buy, can't wait until he reviews the Fit- magic seats and all.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I drove the 2006 Accent GLS and it felt like a very solid car, no rattles or squeaks, and it was very quiet for a small car. But if like some people here (won't name names) you think I might be biased for Hyundai because I have owned some, read the reviews of the Accent and you will see they agree it is a solid, quiet car.

As for long-term, my 5-1/2 year old Elantra, which is a six-year-old design, is as solid and rattle-free as when I bought it. The only noise is there is a cold-weather buzz in the dash that pops up sometimes and has defied multiple attempts to find it.

In contrast, when I drove a new '05 Accord EX, there was a rattle in the passenger-side B pillar area. Also, when I drove in a co-worker's nearly-new '01 Civic a few years ago, there were multiple rattles. I have driven some new Civics myself over the past two generations and they did not rattle. Haven't driven the Fit yet but I expect it will be a very solid car since it is a proven design (lots of time to work out any issues) and made in Japan.
    I have driven both. The Hyundai is well, it feels a lot like the Mazda and the Focus and a couple of others. A nice car. But all of them are like micro Buicks.

If you think the Mazda3 or even the Focus drives like a Buick, you either have no idea what a Buick drives like, your sense of perception is way off, or you are lying about having driven these cars. There is no way that the Mazda3 and Focus feel anything like a Buick. Both cars are widely regarded by automotive experts as two of the best-handling small cars, period. You are entitled to your opinion but IMO you are way, way, way off on this point. Here is an idea: some afternoon go drive, back-to-back-to-back, a Buick (your choice), a Mazda3, and a Focus. Maybe throw in the Accent since you think that drives like a Buick also. I think you will agree these are not comparable cars in driving quality. Either that, or Buick has done a marvelous job in recent years in improving their ride and handling so they are comparable with sharp-handling cars like the Mazda3 and Focus.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    I believe Plekto can not get past the fact that cars are beyond just "handling" superiority. Its kind of nice he compares it to the Mini which is very flattering for the Fit although aside from handling, I don't see where else it compares - definitely not the accessories dept. My brother has a Mini and it is a go-kart to the T. I test drove the Fit and it "kinda" feels like a go-kart due to its short wheelbase. Handling is good but I was concentrating more on the radio and the dash. Haah. I do wonder too, if the Fit handles so well, why does it bounce a bit more? Driving my Mazda 3i after the Fit test drive, I felt that my Mazda is tighter and more in control.

Plekto, have you driven a Buick before? I don't see many Buicks here so I'm not sure what car/model you are talking about.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Hyundai warranty being cut in half when sold because I don't plan on selling it within the warranty period?

Am I the only one who plans on keeping his car for the entire life of the financing, and in fact, for as long as possible, so doesn't have to worry about depreciation?

And, frankly, while size-wise and style-wise the comparison is between the Accent and the Fit, it seems like the Elantra and the Fit is a more accurate price comparison. And the Spectra5 versus the Fit in terms of price on the Kia/Hatch side.

The Rio impressed me most in its price; way less than what the fit is going for now.
    No, you are not the only one. One of the reasons I am attracted to Hyundais is that I am in the midst of a cycle where I want to buy 3 long-term cars (10-11 years at least) that I will hand off to each of my 3 kids for school after I drive them for a few years. So the long warranty is a big plus, and I don't care diddly about resale (even though I unexpectedly sold my '01 Elantra and got a good price for it).

I agree with you on the price-wise comparisons, but I think most of the world tends to compare the Accent to the Fit instead of larger cars like the Elantra, based on size of car. Price-wise, the Elantra will be moving up the scale with the '07 model, and we may lose the hatchback for awhile. And the Rio5 is actually fairly close to the Fit, e.g. nearly $16k for a loaded automatic, so I think that is a pretty good comparo to the Fit.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    Note I said "micro Buick" :)

That is, it's cushy, adequate, and quiet enough - but it is also like comparing an Accord to a LaCrosse. One is just a bit better put together and haldels a bit better as well. The thing is - Hyundai IS a good car. But it's just not as good as the Fit overall, and the manual gearbox and better suspension, plus the rear seats - those are huge plusses for the Fit. I'd take those three over leather seats or half of the nonsense on most cars these days.
    OK, but you also said the Mazda3 and Focus are "micro Buicks." Try that in the Mazda3 discussion and they will be looking for a rope for you--or if you are lucky they will figure you have taken leave of your senses.

Better stick, better handling, better cargo versatility--all big plusses of the Fit over the Accent. The Accent doesn't have leather seats, but that 8-way adjustable driver's seat is worth a lot of points in my book. I don't want to drive a car for 5-6 years if I'm not comfortable in the driver's seat, I don't care how well the thing handles and how many ways the rear seats fold.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Fit's a great car, no question about it - so is the Accent (wait for the SE, which no doubt, would, be on par in the handling category, at least). I am surprised, though, for your comments crediting Hyundai - kudos for moving away from bashing.

Anyway, like I said, I'd wait for the SE version of the Accent, a hatchback. Likely one of the best handling cars in the class, I look forward to comparing the Accent SE vs. the Fit, and others (since comparing the Fit to the current Accent GLS - sedan isn't exactly fair, wouldn't you say??)
    Q: can someone from Mexico look up the cost of a replacement driver's seat? That's a sure-fire way to get the height adjuster. :)
    That is a good idea. While they are at it, maybe they could look up the price of a:

* locking gas cap or fuel filler door
    * Remote locking (if you have a base Fit)
    * Driver's armrest
    * Floor mats
    * Alloys (if you have a base Fit)
    * Side moldings

Interesting thing is, in the Fit discussions there are folks looking around for these things. I guess the sharp handling, slick shifter, and origami rear seats aren't quite enough. ;)
    Wheels are a cinch. Any 14 inch Civic wheel will work.
    Side moldings - get from Europe/U.K.
    Seat - Mexico or Europe
    Locking gas cap - NAPA Auto Parts. $8
    Armrest - aftermarket. Possibly available soon from Honda as well)
    Floor mats - hardly an issue. Honda sells some nice all-season rubberized ones that work great.

The others - you'll have to live with. OTOH, the same could be said about the Mini. Thre are somethings that the convertable gets you that the base model doesn't. Same with the Fit - though cruise control and a better radio aren't a huge deal to most people.
    Yes, it's a cinch. It's only money.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    I would guess the Accent is a terribly un-fun car to drive

You would guess wrong, the wifes daily drive is a 2002 Accent and the thing is pretty fun to drive. Its nimble and can take turns faster than I really expected. I would suggest test driving one.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

And that's a car design that debuted in 1999! The new Accent is even better.