Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,783
    So true, there is only so much you can do to the styling of a car and still keep it a car (or at least a car that people would buy). Now with over 300 different models out there and over 120 years of auto production its going to be hard to come up with something that someone somewhere won't say "that looks sort of like a ......".

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• "The "Magic" seats aren't as magic as I thought. The folding flat seats are amazing but the fact that you have to push the front seats forward, loosing your driving position, is kind of an issue."

I use the magic seats all time, and I have to say that they are pretty amazing and incredibly useful. Of course, I also hate having my driver's seat adjusted, so for the right side back seat I move the front passenger seat up (with the clever adjuster on the shoulder of the seat), and for the left side I just remove the headrest and stick it where it would have gone under the front driver's seat.

As for a test drive regarding performance, you might as well just test drive the base model. The only difference from a performance standpoint between the base and Sport are the tires with 175/65R14 vs 195/55R15. Everything else from transmission to engine to suspension are 100% identical.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I thought when you use the lever on the top of the front seats, the seat moves forward but then slides back to the original position?

Actually though, after test driving the Fit, I'd just take off the rear headrests and put them under the front seats anyway because they're pretty large and block the view. If I know that I'm going to have rear passengers then I'll just pop them back on. Better visibility and then you won't have to slide the front seats anyway.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    Actually no i wouldn't. they are both hatchbacks! :P Ah backy here comes the importance of CONTEXT. Would you mind displaying what i wrote before that sentence? HERE IT IS:

'someone said that the fit does not come with anything standard."

First off i was reffering to many people who are pro-accent that were making it seem like the fit was a stripper. I never said YOU said that. And I never called YOU stupid. it was more of a collective insult i guess! ;)

OH! and i also never said that it came as standard equipment in the base fit. I clearly distinguished that it was standard in the sport and available as an option on the base (and in different colors mind you.) The person i was referring to said it wasn't available at all and did not specifiy what fit trim level he was referring to! SO again that comment was fueled by something valid. You don't want the s word? Ok. But the fact of the matter is that some people feel like posting stuff that they have no idea about and i was adressing it rather angrily and you didn't like it. But it was not a personal attack on you.

(why do i get the feeling that you will try to post what that orginal 'no leather wrapped steering wheel on the fit available' said just to see if you can prove me wrong? Now who is getting personal...? :blush:
    backy why did you ask me if it was fair to compare the two? You are participating in a forum titled :'fit vs. rabbit." you obviously think it is fair. :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    I really don't know why you have that feeling--are you paranoid by nature?

I am relieved that you weren't including me in your collective insults. But if you want to hang around very long in Town Hall, a word of advice: cut the insults, collective or not. All they do is reflect badly on the person making them.

Hey, the GTI is a hatchback too--let's compare that to the Fit! Pricing is a "context" also. So for example, I think it's fair to compare the base Rabbit 2-door to the Fit, since they are about the same price. Start loading up the Rabbit, and then I think the comparison gets a little ridiculous.
    OH man i was expecting a little more than that. Couln't even take the hatchback joke. Phew! You are right pricing is a context, but when vehicles are scrutinized like they are here, ignoring what a few dollars more gets you in a fit just to push the 'hyundai's are just so darn COOL because they have EVERYTHING' bit, is a little weird.

oooohhh i'm so paranoid :P I just called your next move backy thats all. it's ok. Peace out man! ;)
    you are still going on about the hatchback joke? Man and i thought i was paranoid.... :P I agreed to the comparison because i knew you would resort to saying something like that. I think i like being paranoid over predictable...tee-hee! :shades:
    Actually, why not compare the 4dr hatch Rabbit to the Fit. Granted it's more expensive, but it has more features, and price is only one means of comparison. If I had the choice between a Rabbit 4dr and Fit at the same price I'd probably still go with the Fit because of my concern over VW quality (in terms of repair history, not inside materials) and the poor MPG (I can't see buying a car the size of the Rabbit with the MPG of a minivan!
    Compare whatever you like... but dream on if you think you can get a 4-door Rabbit for the same price as a Fit.
    You can't, but the point is that if you don't compare them, then one might just assume that because the Rabbit is priced higher then it automatically is "better" than the Fit. Based on size they're in the same class, so if someone is looking for a 4dr hatch, then they can compare all of the 4dr hatches to see which one meets their needs, with price being one of them. But I don't see why you'd compare the Rabbit to the Ford Fusion for example, just because you can get them for the same price. So price should be secondary to functionality when comparisons are made...at least in my opinion. I guess some people will say, "What car can I get for $20K" and they may end up with a pickup truck or a sports car!
    I like dreams!! :D
    And no i doubt you could find one for the same price, lots of content, but i don't think the vee dub plays the same game as the fit. They are both hatchs' but in two different leagues. Even though some honda dealers do mark up quite a bit. You could get a nice 2 door for a little bit more than a decked out honda fit sport.
    I guess I consider two different leagues is a comparison between a Focus wagon and a BMW 3 series wagon, or a Mercedes to a Kia just because you can get 4dr sedans from both, but I think cars like the Versa, Fit, Rabbit, Accent, Focus, Mazda3, Matrix, and other 4dr hatches are all in the same general league (all less than $20K) with some being on the higher end in price and some at the lower end in terms of price. And all of them having positive and negative points.
  • crimsonacrimsona Posts: 153
    I don't bother sliding the driver/passenger seats forward to fold down the rear seats. I just take off the rear headrests and fold as needed. Probably less work to attach/unattach the rear headrests than to slide, unfold, slide.
    The question should be I think, "What can I get for $NNk that meets my needs?" For some people, either a Rabbit or Fusion might meet their needs. Others might be looking specifically for a hatchback, so that rules out the Fusion. For example, for my next car I could go with either a sedan or hatchback, so I'm considering both.
    Exactly, but there could be some variance on the $$. For me, I was planning on spending between $15-20K.
    Well, considering you could get a mazda 3 or even a toyota matrix for well over 17000(my rabbit is a 2 door and it was around that), that is a bit different than someone who wants an entry level accent or fit because of financial reasons. Usually anything higher than that target price, as nice as it would be to have a car at that level, is out of their 'league'. Thats what i meant. Econo hatch backs exist to meet those needs, but, (and i can't belive im citing this) in a sarcastic joke i said to backy earlier, he actually made a point; you wouldnt compare a honda fit to a gti, or a mazda speed 3 or a bmw 1 series. Yes they are all hatch backs (and a cut above the rabbit) but in the same fashion,(base price aside) the rabbit, civic mazda 3 and sentra are a cut above thier cheaper brethren in numerous aspects.
    i have to disagree with you on this: for example the gti and mazda 3 are hatchbacks that share the same dimensions as the audi a3, but because they are roughly the same size does not mean that they compete in the same class. A3 is considered a premium sport wagon much like the bmw3 and 1 series is, but they are so not in the same class. Does a mini cooper s compete in the same class as a toyota yaris? They are both small hatchbacks... :blush:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    wow i've been gone for so long i didn't realize how serious everyone was taking me! That's kinda funny! Oh and i'm sure i'm not taking any kind of credibility from honda owners. I think it would take a lot more than a few 'bad mood' posts to do that.

Well, with every post sounding basically the same (Sarcastically denouncing Hyundai sometimes), it's hard to tell whether or not you are being serious. Remember, on pure text messages, there are no contextual communication clues to pull from to distinguish one's attitude, be it jovial or serious.
    what do you think these cute little cars are for!? :P and basic punctuation.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    If you'll look at the actual post I replied to (#129, from September), there are no little :P s or :) s. Just sarcastic comments like:

As far as 200 hp in a fit goes, that is quite a bit of engineering. TO build an engine that can do that is incredible. Hyundai even remotely acknowledging this by putting an intake on their little accent is hilarious.

So, Honda can build a performance engine, but Hyundai can't even give performance enhancements a shot?

Sounds a little high and mighty, and that's from a guy who has only driven Hondas.
    Actually i have driven mazdas and i currently own a 07 vw rabbit, so theres that. And as far as perfomance goes, everyone knows that honda is legendary for aftermarket compatability. Hyundai has no track record at all and everyone here is acting like the se is the sport hatch that will take everyone down including the fit!! Arrrghhh here comes the accent! Back up! Don't step forward, STEP BACK!! :surprise: Can hyundai attempt it? Sure go for it..but may they know thier place in the sport compact world. Thats all this 'only drives hondas' young man was saying. And so i forgot the little car faces. SO what? Plenty of punctuation though... :P
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    wow i've been gone for so long i didn't realize how serious everyone was taking me! That's kinda funny! Oh and i'm sure i'm not taking any kind of credibility from honda owners. I think it would take a lot more than a few 'bad mood' posts to do that.

Well, with every post sounding basically the same (Sarcastically denouncing Hyundai sometimes), it's hard to tell whether or not you are being serious. Remember, on pure text messages, there are no contextual communication clues to pull from to distinguish one's attitude, be it jovial or serious.

Well said.

I would expect as much from someone who graduated. :)

(was that smile jovial enough?)
    I've seen jovial-er ;)
    The CR December issue puts the Fit on top in the manual/sport version and in second place to the Versa in the auto/base version. I wonder if they compared the auto/sport version to the CVT Versa version that the Fit might have been in the #1 position in both categories. Note that the Versa in the manual version was in 4th place.

The deciding factors had to do with reliability, handling, mpg, braking, and interior space. Negatives on the Fit were road noise, acceleration with the auto, steering wheel position and lack of height adjustable drivers seat. The Versa had better marks for interior comforts, noise levels, but the driving characteristics were not as good on the Fit.

In the Manual category, the Fit was in first place by a pretty wide margin, while in the Auto category, the Versa SL beat out the base Fit auto by only one point.

It seems like with other reviews I've read, and based on my own experience, the Fit and Versa are the top two in this category of tall 4dr hatchbacks with good interior room, with the Versa being quieter and with more comforts, and the Honda having better driving characteristics and quality.

The Rio, Accent and Yaris were grouped at the bottom for various reasons.
    Actually as far as "tall 4-dr hatchbacks", that includes only the Fit, Versa, and Rio5.

Since you seem to have the article, can you tell us which versions of the cars were tested, e.g. were both the base and Sport Fits tested? And were both the Accent 4-door and Accent hatch tested--and which hatch? And what was the equipment, including transmissions, on these cars? Thanks.
    I just flipped through the article at lunch in the bookstore, and I only know that they had two categories, Manual and Automatic, and what I said in my previous post was about all I could remember. But they tested the Fit, Versa, Rio, Accent, and Yaris all in both automatic and manual versions. Plus they threw in the Focus 3dr because with discounts, you can get one for the price of these other cars.
  • "The Rio, Accent and Yaris were grouped at the bottom for various reasons."

What reasons did CR give for rating these cars bottom of the pack?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,783
    They didn't pay off CR? (did I say that? :blush: )

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

I don't remember everything from my quick read, but it seemed like it was on the driving characteristics, handling, braking, etc, and on road noise, interior space, and reliability.