Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit v. Scion xB

Comments

• nwngnwng Posts: 664
    thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what's the rpm in the fit at 70 mph? (in fifth of course)

One thing I like about honda's small engines is they can really rev and likes to be reved. But it gets real buzzy at highway speeds.

toyota's gearing are better for highway cruising, and the clutch is actually easier to engage than honda's. But shifting is less satisfied than honda's.
    I guess based on your opinion, this still holds true after so many years I've been driving cars by both manufactures.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    "One thing I like about honda's small engines is they can really rev and likes to be reved. But it gets real buzzy at highway speeds."

The Fit is not loud at all though at higher speeds...I can say this from experience. Definitely not buzzy.

Also, the clutch is very easy and light. I can't say the same for the 2002 Civic I often drive, but the Fit's clutch is wonderful to use and makes driving in rush hour traffic a breeze.
  • mankomanko Posts: 9
    "Can you tell me what's the rpm in the fit at 70 mph? (in fifth of course)"

Sure, it's about 3400-3500 rpm, 80 is ~3900 rpm. xB at same speed is almost identical, 70 is 3500 and 80 is 4000. To be honest, gearing on both is nearly identical if you compare the ratios, but definitely feels different due to the engines and where they make their power.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    After reading several posts, the xB does have one cupholder in the rear. Thats where the cell phone goes in mine. Mine also has plenty of power, its in the 9's for 0-60 with a manual. If I would like to go faster in the same test, I can drive my Tundra with its V8. Otherwise, the xB is not a sports coupe like a tC.

However, I do agree that the xB is NOT a good long distance car. My Tundra and Corolla are much better for the task.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... considering an xB purchase, but the current xB does not accelerate well... Does anyone know any specs yet for the xb 2007?"

My xB with manual transmission accelerates strongly. The road test of four "Rebellious Boxes" by Car & Driver put the xB's 0-60 mph time at 9.6 seconds.

The 2007 xB will reportedly be the same as the 2006. The 2008 xB will reportedly be changed from the present Echo platform to the larger Corolla platform. It will be res-styled, larger, more powerful and more expensive.
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Posts: 30
    For those who obsessed with RPM.

2005 Scion xB
    Automatic

70mph = 2900RPM
    My xB with manual has gotten 40 mpg on a tank when I really tried, 35 mpg in my usual driving, and 33 mpg when I drive spiritedly. But I don't stay over 65 on interstates - the resistance at 80, for instance, will put the mpg into the high 20's.

And how can you compare the xB to a Metro?
    The xB has 1500 cc, 108 hp and does 0-60 in 9.6 seconds (according to Car & Driver's review of four econoboxes last January). My xB with manual transmission has good acceleration left from 60 to 80, and then keeps going more slowly up to 100.
    The Metro has 1000 cc, 55 hp and does 0-60 in 12 seconds.

The xB is the most incredible car I have owned (age 63). The easy entry, legroom, headroom, smooth gearbox and clutch, free revving engine, sport car handlilng and acceleration, gas economy, and low price -- are an unbeatable combination.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    I didn't comare it to a Metro - that was reserved specifically for the Aveo. Dreadful little car. The XB is nice, actually - but it has a weak engine(power vs mpg) and not a single amenity for the rear passengers. One small cupholder as an afterthought.

And.. Not a single option on it that actually siginificantly alters the interior. Saw a ully tricked-out Xb at the dealer and it had $4K in bling - same interior and lack of features.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    If the styling of the xB was a bit less un-appealing, I might have looked at it. The Honda Element is also boxy but it does not look this odd, and truly looks nice. The xA on the other hand is something I would definitely consider, purely from a looks perspective.

As far as the Honda Fit is concerned, the Base and the "Sport" are essentially identical, except for the functionless plastic stuck all around the "Sport". Same engine, same transmission, same interior etc. "Sport" in my lexicon, should have had additional bolstering for the seats, stiffer suspension, tighter steering and possibly a boost in the power and how it is delivered....along with a 6-speed manual.
    "... I didn't comare it to a Metro..."

What you said was: "The Xb'x engine gets terrible mileage considering its almost Geo Metro like acceleration."

"...The XB... has a weak engine(power vs mpg)..."

My xB does 0-60 in 9.6 seconds - that feels very lively to me. My xB's acceleration and ride and handling remind me of the two BMW 2002s that I put 100K miles on between 1972 and 1995. The xB also has some almost identical specs to a Minicooper: both weigh about 2400 lbs, and both have DOHC VVT engines of almost the same displacement and horsepower.

As for mileage, in lively driving, my xB gets 32 mpg. Regular driving gets 35 mpg and careful driving on suburban and country roads gets 40 mpg.
    "... If the styling of the xB was a bit less un-appealing, I might have looked at it. The Honda Element is also boxy but it does not look this odd..."

The Element is a lot larger, more powerful, more expensive, yet gets much worse mileage and seats one less person. And the styling of the Element, especially the curved door tops, is unappealing to me.
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Posts: 30
    I love the Element....my first choice over the xB, bout couldn't swallow the price tag along with the horrible gas mileage.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd have an Element just to take camping...throw some bags of mulch in the back....take the seats out...just to take the seats out.....neat vehicle.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    I've had a xB for almost 3 years, and it has the most comfortable seats (and seating position) of any vehicle that I've driven in. Not to mention that it's fun to drive with a HUGE amount of room for passengers.

If I had to make the choice today, I'd still buy the xB. The only advantage that the Fit has is side curtain airbags, but the xB has stability control, which is supposed to be a must safety feature.

As far as gas mileage, I get 26 mpg/city and about 36 freeway. My guess is that in reality, the Fit gets about the same. It all comes down to personal preference.
  • jonniedeejonniedee Posts: 111
    Quote: As far as gas mileage, I get 26 mpg/city and about 36 freeway.

You must drive REALLY SLOW. My neighbor drives 75mph on the highway with her Xb and has never got much over 30mpg (auto AC) :confuse:
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    ...I think the next-generation Scion xB will be based on the next-generation Corolla platform. We could have gotten the new Toyota bB that came out in Japan at the beginning of 2006 but I think Toyota wanted the new xB to be a bit roomier. If you're seen the Scion T2B concept it may hint at what the new xB will be like.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Posts: 112
    "As far as gas mileage, I get 26 mpg/city and about 36 freeway. My guess is that in reality, the Fit gets about the same."

Actually, over in the MPG thread, most Fit owners report beating those numbers.
    I saw a site that said the next xB would be based on the Corolla platform, too. I guess that means longer, roomier, bigger enginel, more expensive, and more gas. More like an Element. Glad I got my little old '06 xB.
  • propapprpropappr Posts: 1
    Well being a large fellow, at 6'4" I find the XB very confortable even in the back seat. I can actually ride behind the driver and be comfortable. There are not many cars at all that I can say that about. The element is one but the gas mileage is just not as good.
  • ew3074ew3074 Posts: 20
    BTY, just wanna show you guys the Japan version bb.
    This picture was taken on a street in Hong Kong. I hope America will have this one soon.
  • I am a brand new xB owner and am quite disappointed with the ride. Did not take it on the "right" test drive roads to determine that the suspension was so harsh. Read your email and cannot find Monroe Sensatracs for a Scion xB on internet. Where did you get yours? Did you get them for the Echo? Help, want to sell this car because of the harsh ride and it only has 40 miles on it!
This discussion has been closed.