Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• I also think the increasing government and public demands for safety features have significantly changed cars even over the last 5 years. Some of those changes make demands on design changes as well as weight, and since fuel economy was not high on public demand, there is not much motivation for automakers to "do it all". I agree with poster above, as well, that the Fit was designed to be an about-town car, that could haul people & all their gear (and a llama, apparently). I personally only see the highway a few times a year, so I don't give a hoot about the highway mileage, and the "split" between city & hwy MPG is only 7mpg vs. 10-12mpg like many sedans.
  • tfuisztfuisz Posts: 8
    After owning our Fit sport AT now for about 12 months, with 5K on the odometer, the last fill up gave just under 20 mpg for all city mileage. We love the car, but the mileage is a real disappointment.
    As soon as a viable electric car comes out we can use for around town errands, the Fit is gone.
  • Are you positive you are calculating your mpg correctly? (Fill up, note odometer, next fill up note gallons & odometer, divide # miles/gallons into the tank). You may also want to average several tanks to make sure there wasn't a fluke at one fill-up. Also be mindful of excessive idling (such as long lines at the drive thru, waiting for someone with the car running, etc.) and how quickly you accelerate. Keep the rpms under 3000, and under 2500 whenever possible.
    I have the base AT, and was getting in the mid 20's for the first 2000 miles, and just started getting close to 30, all city. When you are at a red light with the A/C off, what rpm are you idling at? Look at the idle learning procedure a few pages back. You should definitely take it in under warranty, there could be another underlying issue.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    Today's cars are heavier, even if they are classified as compact or sub-compact. The Fit weighs about 2500 pounds. I used to have a Civic back in the early 90s, and it weighed something like 2100 pounds. That's a difference of carrying two good-sized American men, and that definitely impacts the gas mileage.

And why are today's cars, including the Fit, heavier? As others have remarked, it is primarily the safety requirements, not just with the "bags" and other electronic gizmos, but also with the more rigid body structure, that make the cars heavier.
  • elsabaeelsabae Posts: 4
    I bought one of the first Fits that was available so I have had it awhile. Manual, base model. I have about 35,000 on it.

I find that my driving habits really effect the mileage. I can race around and get about 33 mpg. Or I can drive sensibly and get it over 40. My husband and I have made a game of it and hit 45.56 yesterday. This was a combination of highway driving and back roads. (We live in rural Maine.) Lately our mpg has been 42 or higher.

Our techniques are simple and easy. We drive 40 or so on back roads and try to anticipate stops to reduce braking. On the highway we go 55 (him) or 60 (me - I have my limits!).

The highway drving speed has been interesting. I slowed down from 75-80 to 60. It adds very little to the total trip time, really bumps the mpg up - and I find it more relaxing. OK, it was a little frustrating at first but I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted.

And lets face it, although very safe for a little car, the Fit is still LITTLE! Slower speeds are probably the single simplest way to increase the safety as well as the mpg. You just have more time to react. And at 60 on the highway, you're usually not tailgating anyone (if you are, wave, it is probaby my husband going 55!)

Added bonus - you get to feel smug and make disparaging remarks about all the SUV's whizzing by you!

BYW, just found out that at highway speeds it is more fuel efficient to use AC than to open the windows (open windows create drag.) At lower speeds, windows are better.

I love my Fit! Twice in the last few weeks - once when loading compost and once when loading rental tools from Home Depot - bystanders have commented "So, this is your pick-up truck?" And it IS - I love how much room I have.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Well said ! Good Post! :)

Kip
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Aerodynamics are the biggest factor affecting highway MPG. That's why the taller and boxier Fit won't get as good MPG as a Civic or Corolla in the real-world, especially when going above 60mph.

But then the Fit will cost less to purchase than a Civic or Corolla, so you'll save $$ there that can be used to pay for some gas on the long highway trips. Also, the Fit can hold a lot more stuff than a Civic or Corolla so for our family, we're using the Fit instead of our larger vehicle.

Regardless of the interior CuFt specs, when sitting in the Fit, I feel like there's a lot more room inside than in either the Civic or Corolla. Maybe the higher ceiling helps as does the hatchback design, but for me 2 adults and 2 kids in the back have more usable space then in Civic/Corolla, plus the larger cargo area and space under the 2nd row seats to put stuff (with a 7 month old and 3 1/2 year old you have a lot of stuff!).

We'll see how the next generation Fit does for MPG...
  • ohthelawdohthelawd Posts: 17
    Definitely have to echo your sentiment on the Fit vs. Civic mileage question. The weight makes an ENORMOUS difference. Think about all of the safety equipment and such that are standard on the Fit (airbags, side airbags, ABS, etc.). When you only have 109hp pulling you around, weight like this really adds up and affects the MPG. I'd wager that a Fit w/o all of the new safety equipment probably could attain 40+ MPG pretty regularly. Not willing to try that, though ;)
  • vdalvdal Posts: 6
    ...Am i the only one that's complain about mileage on my Fit Sport.I love my little "bullet", but this mpg it just make me wonder.I'm not driving like crazy .I kept below 3000 rpm. Ac turn on only maybe 3 times for few minutes..Driving at speed limits,99.9% only in city(8 miles both sides with low traffic).I've got now 460 miles on odometer and gues what? I've filled he tank 3 times already!!! On first tank I've made 212 miles.I've put 9.5 gallon as a second tank on which i've made 177.9 miles and have filled tank with 8.5 g of gas.second thing is 2 days ago I've notice that oil life change to 90%. come on after 400 miles?!I went to dealer and they've told me to fill up third time tank and check mileage then, if it still low then they will run fuel performance check.Somebody got the same problem maybe or I'm just having bad luck or I'm a bad driver :cry:
    I've drive before Taurus Sel 03' V6 3.0 and I had 23 miles per galon in city so that's make me wonder.Is my skills went down:P :confuse:
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Posts: 42
    NO YOU ARE NOT ALONE My car sport fit auto tran got 13.4 mpg for the first 600 mile keeps jumping up now I have 5200 miles getting around 29-30 mpg 85-90% highway driving much better but not any where what I think I should be getting with my great small car 0-600 13.4 mpg 600-1300 17.34mpg 1300-2400 19.68mpg 2400-3600 23.47 mpg
    3600 4700 27.89mpg 4700-52389 29.88 mpg :confuse:
  • tfuisztfuisz Posts: 8
    Four years of advanced math and a degree in physics-if I can't do MPG correctly I want my tuition back.
    My guess with our fit is that it runs in a less fuel efficient way for the first few miles to heat up the catalyst to improve emissions. If your commute is long enough, this first little part is not significant, but if you take only short trips (like we do) you run in this mode most of the time, and the mileage sucks. Its been back to the dealer-nothing wrong with it.
    We love the versatility of the shape and seats. Don't like the mileage (and the rapid wear of the "carpet" near the mats). The in town mileage is within one or two mpg of our 1987 911. It seems like the fit should do a lot better.
  • damian1962damian1962 Posts: 28
    In order to get good numbers you have to shift at 2500 rpm per gear, once you get to 5th your at 50 mph and you set your cruise control. As far as anthing less than that maintain the car at 2500 rpm even when you pull out in 1st gear. Someone said the fit is not aerodynamic and this is a fact, the fit's not built like a civic and it makes no sense that the fit with it's small engine, weight and size doesn't separate itself from the mpg of a civic. The civic is right on it's toes and at higher speeds the civic get's better mpg than the fit. The fit is a small vehicle with lots of interior space, but it's tall which means it's a wind catcher. And oh yes, your driving for better mpg which means everyone is going to pass you don't run with them.
  • elsabaeelsabae Posts: 4
    Also check the gas where you are fueling. If there is any Ethanol in it, even 10%, it will cut your mpg substantially.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Indeed - I went from a solid 27.5 average in my old Accord to about 25.5 now, since they've made 10% ethanol the norm here in Alabama.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    There are two parts to aerodynamic drag: drag coefficient and cross-sectional area. Aerodynamic drag is a function of the product of the drag coefficient times the cross-sectional area.

Manufacturers and magazines typically quote the drag coefficient. It would not surprise me if the Fit has a relatively decent drag coefficient that is not too far behind the Civic. The Fit is a lot taller than the Civic, so it has a larger cross-sectional area and I suspect that is where much of the mileage difference lies.

If you look at VW's 1 liter concept car, it has tandem seating which greatly reduces the cars cross-sectional area: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07/01/vw-supposedly-still-working-on-one-liter- -car-possible-2010-lau/
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    I drive a lot at 80 mph which runs constantly AT 2900 rpm, and I still get 35-36 mpg. If you're city driving I can't imagine needing to accelerate so fast that you'd get up to 3000rpm anyway.

In other words, I don't think that solution is going to overcome whatever mechanical issue is causing his poor gas mileage.
  • hojczykhojczyk Posts: 2
    Went From Venice,FL....to Bandera, Tx...3487..miles average 35.20 mph...Mostly Intersate at 70 plus miles an hour....
  • retire36retire36 Posts: 6
    I have a 09 Fit on order in Tucson. I have read several messages indicating that the ac is marginal in hot weather.

Anyone with experience with the ac in Arizona summer? I'm a little concerned.

Thanks

Dave
  • Dave,

We live in Central Texas where it has been 102 degrees ever other day. Our 2007 Sport AC has worked like a charm. We always use outside air and set the fan speed to 4 and it does a great job. We turn off the AC temporarily when going up a steep hill. :)

Regards,
    Bubba
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I don't consider an AC doing a great job when you have to run it on the maximum fan setting all the time. Once the car is initially cooled off, a good AC should be able to run at a low fan speed to keep it cool. I have a Fit Auto and live in Ohio and have found that the AC is okay, but not great. In the front row if you have the fans blowing the air right on you it's fine, but then the back seat passengers get hot, especially if the sun is on them. I recommend that you tint the windows. I'm planning on doing that and hopefully that will help.

And you should probably use the Inside Air setting, since it's easier to cool off the inside air than 102degree outside air.