Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• retire36retire36 Posts: 6
    Thanks Bubba. I will definitely plan on tinting my windows and my car being white should help also.

Dave
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The A/C will blow colder when set on recirculate instead of fresh air, as you have it set.

In other Hondas (Civic, CR-V, Accord, etc) which have a "MAX A/C" button, when this is pressed, it goes automatically to recirculate, since it will make the cabin cooler than fresh air.
  • fitisgofitisgo Posts: 40
    I am seeing a lot of postings here reporting vast differences in FIT real-world MPG results. There are many, many, factors that can affect fuel economy.

The one factor that MOST affects the fuel economy is the driver. I have 3 2008 Fit Sport Automatics -all are the exact same vehicle (they currently have 600, 4300, and 7000 miles on the odometer). My 21yr old son drives one in mostly city driving in "leadfoot" style and typically gets 27-30 MPG. My 53 yr old wife drives another, fairly conservatively, about half city and half highway conditions, but in a very "jerky" style of starting/stopping, and typically gets 29-31 MPG (she's only gassed up 3 times so far, so this is limited data for her). I am also 53 and drive very conservatively and smoothly in 2/3 highway and 1/3 city driving, and typically get 30-35 MPG. I did one 500 mile highway trip on a weekend at 65-70 mpg (on Interstate highways with speed limits of 65-75 mph) with A/C on half the time, 2 passengers, light luggage, mostly flat terrain, tailwind going one way, calm weather coming back, and averaged 38.5 MPG, well above the EPA ratings.

You can go on and on about what a person can do to the vehicle or the type of gas or other physical/hardware devices to improve mileage, but the #1 way to get better mileage is to slow down (if you are currently exceeding the speed limit) and anticipating starts/stops so that your driving style is smooth and gradual. You are probably going to irritate a lot of other drivers who are speeding excessively (10-20 mph over the limit) and driving aggessively in their big SUVs and Trucks. But when it's time to fill up and they're getting 10-12 mpg real-world and you are getting anywhere from 25-40 MPG in your Fit, you will have the last laugh (and pay much less at the pump).
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    From the posts I've read, the people with the most complaints are the ones getting much worse MPG than your son yet have your driving style.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I am also 53 and drive very conservatively and smoothly in 2/3 highway and 1/3 city driving, and typically get 30-35 MPG.

I ended up buying a 2008 Civic Si, I average 30mpg. Yes I paid more but I have gobs of power when I need it. I drive 75-80 mph on the highway and even when I am at 50% City and 50% highway I still get 28-30 mpg. Much above 80mph and the fuel economy drops. It goes up at night when the cops are out in force and the cruise is on.
    Oh and all our gas in this state has 10% ethanol in it. :sick: :mad:
    The Fit should get much better fuel economy than it does. Hopefully the nw model will correct that. I'll probably take a long look at the new Honda Hybrid that's based on the FCX Clarity as well as other cars.
    My wife loves the Fit but most of our driving is on steep hills or the highway. Those seem to work against the Fit. I drove one when I was overseas and loved it but mileage was so-so. No reason the Fit shouldn't get 40mpg.
    No reason the Fit shouldn't get 40mpg.

What car out there gets that in America?

The Fit gets about the best MPG out there. As good as a Civic or Corolla but more usable space inside and more cargo space.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731

If we're talking about EPA highway testing, you'll need a

Prius
    Civic Hybrid
    VW Diesel
    Smart

If we aren't, then drive my Accord. It's a 2006 model, but at 72mph cruise, unloaded, no A/C, I've had 40 MPG on more than one occasion.
  • bam8bam8 Posts: 7
    I was considering a fit or Yaris and decided on the Yaris (MT) because it was a more comfortable drive for me and the gas mileage appeared to be more consistantly good in reviews. I've filled the tank about 6 times now and I've been getting average 42-44 on longer trips (two people in the car and gear) and 40-42 around town driving. I expect to get better once its broken in.

We have to get another vehicle in the next year and I will be looking at the Yaris and Fit again. For me, the fit has great room and I loved the MT to drive but the seats were uncomfortable, the pedal position/foot room felt a little cramped and the vehicle clearance was too low. I'm also looking at the continued feedback on gas mileage. There seems to be a wide variation with the fit and much less so with the Yaris. The fit seems to have resolved most of my concerns (except the gas mileage :)) so we will see. Yaris is making the 4 door LB this year and adding more saftly features.

The Fit gets about the best MPG out there. As good as a Civic or Corolla but more usable space inside and more cargo space.

The fact is the Fit should easily get better fuel economy tan it does. My friend had one, loved it, but hated the fact that he never got above 26mpg in the city. No matter how he drove it. He sold it and bought a Hi-Lux diesel pickup truck and his fuel economy went up to 30mpg and better. That's a 4 door pickup truck with a 5.5 foot bed!
    So why can't these small cars get better fuel economy. Saying they don't, isn't an answer. I know they don't but why is 35mpg the best you can get in the US. No one in Europe would buy a car that did so poorly.
    The Fit is a great little car, but poor on fuel when compared to other offerings overseas. My wife still wants one so probably she will get one in October. Still a Civic LX would get better fuel economy. I used to own Civic Hatchbacks, Geo Metro's etc... All of them got better than 40mpg. No excuse for a small car to get such low MPG.
  • damian1962damian1962 Posts: 28
    You made the right choice. The Yaris is a better car by all means. The fit is a cheap replica of what the original Jazz is. Jazz has a 7 pad shifter, Side view mirror with blinking lights, for those who need it heated seats, passenger mirror, a nice snug hatch back, the original sport alarm which shuts doors when you take off, rearms the car when left open after 30 seconds, valid parking mode, shock sensitve activation of the alarm. A nice Sun roof, rear disc brakes and a better suspension. How do I know this? I checked out the UK sites. The 2009 already lacks a sun roof and the MPG is the same story. My fit is on sale with $2,000 incentive for who ever takes it off my hands. I has all kinds of accesories like; interior trim for the doors, center mount trim, steering wheel cover, silver fit door sills, Original fit rugs, tinted glass, sport grille, rear applique, fit cargo tray, rear cover and the Fit License plate holder. I also found side moulding from UK that are silver metallic with the fit emblem, I purchased from Zeta products the crome trim for the rear hatch and a hood deflector. And door Visors, I wish I would had purchased the mungen visors that are better looking and perfect for it. I was going to puchase OEM 16" rims from Honda Majestic which sells them for $140 but I stopped. I did all I could to like the car but after seeing everything that was stripped from the original Jazz to make the fit I hit rock bottom. And here we go again, the 2009 has no sunroof and the alarm is an aftermarket already and God knows the laundry list of thing it would include which Japan fit does.
    I can't accept the fact the new Fit does not include all the features the Japan Fit does. Nobody in America is so cheap they deserve less a car. And nobody in America is so cheap they wouldn't pay a couple gran more for all the goodies. America deserves the same quality not less. And since this site is about MPG www.fueleconomy.gov nails the real facts on that too... and it's 300 miles per tank and 31 mpg combined. with no more than 34 highway. And these are the real numbers.
  • damian1962,

Before you get your tickets and move to Japan to buy your Fit, I want to mention our latest mpg figures here in central Texas.

As I mentioned the other day, the temps have been 98 to 102 - everyday. The AC is on from May thru October and maybe more. Our in-town mpg has averaged 30 mpg w/ the Sport AT. Yesterday, we drove from Austin to Corpus and back (had to do some quick stuff) with AC on and averaged 43.3 mpg with 2 1/2 people and no cargo. No too bad. :) :)

My husband and I alternated the driving duties....

Regards,
    Bubba
    I can't accept the fact the new Fit does not include all the features the Japan Fit does. Nobody in America is so cheap they deserve less a car. And nobody in America is so cheap they wouldn't pay a couple gran more for all the goodies. America deserves the same quality not less. And since this site is about MPG www.fueleconomy.gov nails the real facts on that too... and it's 300 miles per tank and 31 mpg combined. with no more than 34 highway. And these are the real numbers.

Actually the Japanese Fit has a LOT more features than the American version. The JDM is different because Japan is mostly city and some rural when you really get outside the city. Small cars are very popular there. In the US large cars and SUV's and Trucks are the norm.
    The Fit also costs less in Japan than the US when you convert Yen to dollars.
    This is a decision by Honda and it's so they don't compete with the Civic a car that sells in very small numbers in Japan.
    I don't buy the argument that the Civic would be affected in sales if the Fit came fully loaded. People who like the civic wont buy the Fit, and Fit Lovers would be on cloud 9 and would fork up the extra cash.

I like the Mazda 5 better, it suits my needs better. And for the Texan person who says move to Japan. I like the 30 plus beaches with crysal water down here. I love the resorts and Old San Juan to much. I am 365 days a tourist in the summer. You can't say that... can ya.. and just in case you also want to cheap shot me with the hurricains, houses down here are concrete not carton like in Texas where tornados wipe out entire communities. Stick to the subject the Fit should be better in everyway and it should give better mpg's. And yeah you would get more mpg in texas when the tornado winds help ya...Fit= :lemon:
    So why can't these small cars get better fuel economy. Saying they don't, isn't an answer

Just because you say they should isn't a reason either. And just because older civic hatchbacks and geo metros would get 40mpg for some people isn't a reason either. Those cars were smaller, lighter, polluted more, were less safe, less stable, had poorer braking, etc...so of course they got better mpg then modern cars. Plus what speed where you driving them to get over 40mpg?

My Fit gets in the mid 30's MPG average and high 30s mpg on the highway and is safe, spacious, and handles great. Yes, I possibly could get better MPG in a corolla, civic or yaris (unless you're one of those only getting in the mid 20's MPG average for those cars...just read the other forums or fuelseconomy.gov), but then I'd drive the car less often because those cars aren't as practical as the Fit, in that with the Fit I can hold four people plus a lot of stuff behind the 2nd row and even stuff under the 2nd row. I couldn't carry that much stuff with 4 passengers in the Civic, Corolla or Yaris, so I'd end up having to drive our big vehicle.

But if you're just looking at MPG, then go find a 15yr old geo metro and have fun! ;)
    Go to just about any country outside of the USA and people drive smaller and more practical cars. Why don't people buy Civics in Japan...because they're not stupid enough to do so when the Fit is nearly just as spacious inside, and has more cargo space. The same answer throughout all of Europe, where a Focus is considered a full size car. They don't drive SUVs, big minivans, etc, so when they buy a vehicle, they want it to be practical, but that doesn't mean they don't want all of the luxury features that are available.

In America, we want big vehicles and if a small vehicle like a Civic is going to cost the same as an Accord, then a typical American will buy the Accord just because it's bigger, so there's no point in a manufacturer putting so many options on a small car that the price will overlap their bigger model because Americans won't buy them.

So for the few of us that like small, practical cars, we're at the mercy of limited choices because of the overwhelming stupid (in my opinion) choices of the average American consumer when it comes to car purchases.
  • wiseone2wiseone2 Posts: 14
    The Fit appears to be a good car, but the posts for mpg, seem to show this isn't
    Hondas best effort. In 1996, I bought a well cared for '90 Civic CRX HF with 70000 miles on it. Gas was cheap and not a big deal at all. After a few months, I noticed, I rarely ever needed to put gas in it. So I checked my mileage for the first time, 53 mpg. I had no idea. Manual trans, no a/c, no pwr windows, small tires.
    Why can't Honda do this today??
  • jkandelljkandell Posts: 116
    I've heard that recirculating a/c is cooler and that does make sense (since the air is already cool); but for some reason the a/c air seems colder when set on Outside air, even though the fan isn't blowing as much air out. I live in Arizona and a/c use seriously affects my mpg; I've made an art of shutting it on and off as a drive: on for coasting, off every time else. At the height of summer it gets so hot I alternate between "1" (instead of off) and "3".
    Manual trans, no a/c, no pwr windows, small tires.
    Why can't Honda do this today??

Nobody would buy it without an automatic transmission, power windows, 8 airbags, anitlock brakes, a more swacious interior, etc... Plus I think when people remember the MPG from 10 - 20 years ago, I don't think they were very scientific with their calculation because gas was so cheap. Plus they might not have been driving 70-80mph, but only around 60, and the Fit can get 40mpg easily if only driving at 60mph.
    but for some reason the a/c air seems colder when set on Outside air, even though the fan isn't blowing as much air out.

I'm not sure what you mean. When set to Outside air vs Inside air and the fan speed is set to 1, you'll get a greater airflow when set to Outside air because the outside vent is open, so the moving car is creating the greater air movement, as well as the fan. Maybe that's why you feel cooler...because the air is moving faster.

I think the problem is that you keep shutting of the AC and then turning it on, so you now have to re-cool the car again. It might be better just to leave the setting to fan speed 2 and on recirculate and just leave it alone to keep the temp in the car more constant. Once the AC is turned off, any car will heat up really quick. Have you tinted your windows?