Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    My wife drives about 60% highway and she consistently averages about 29 mpg. We just got the first oil change at 4950 miles and someone told me they got better mileage after the first oil change. We will see. If you up the air pressure on the tires, you may get a bit better mileage.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    someone told me they got better mileage after the first oil change. We will see. If you up the air pressure on the tires, you may get a bit better mileage.

Yes, I'm not going to cry over 27mpg while the car has less than 600 miles on it. :)
    But I'm hoping to break over 30mpg just in town. Figure that my 2008 Civic Si was getting 28-31 combined and I figure the Fit should be able to do as well. We have to drive easy here due to all the cops monitoring the roads we live on. Lots of hills and sharp corners. A lot of fun except for the cops that are checking your speed.
    We had a small bit on snow maybe 2 inches and I saw a Subaru Outback twisted off the road. All seasons don't cut it on these roads. The Fit had no problem being driven normally. But 4-5 inches of unplowed snow on those hills will require snow tires.
  • If your getting 27 mpg, that's it. Your not going to get better than that. The Fit numbers are estimates on flat roads and even then city is 28, combined is 30 and highway is 34. You must drive at no more than 50 mph to avoid stop & go and shifting gears at 2500 rpm's.

My M3 2.0 liter engine sedan AT (no cruise control) gives me 25 mpg's combined and my M5 2.3 liter engine mini van (cruise control) gives me 24.5 mpg combined. I use to own a fit and I trade it in in for more power, I found that the rpm's are the tale of the story. Both Mazda's I own hit 65 mph at 2500 rpm's which is the perfect speed for highway, I drive normal in city. The problem with the 2008 fit is once you go over 50 mph your mpg's go down because your rpm's are higher. The new 2009 is doing better due to 9 more horse power, at 65mph the rpm is 2500.

But don't be concerned about it so much, gas prices are down and hopefully will stay there.
  • rpm7rpm7 Posts: 4
    I recommend the Fit even if you have to cover the seats like I do. After 20 tanks of gas and averaging 40mpg mixed driving, I still love it. Great torgue and comfortable ride, alhough I did add a center console / arm rest. The Fit is also ranked high for reliability.
    fit43mpg, I believe you. Mine 2008 Fit has averaged 40 mpg mixed driving on regular unleaded gas. It doesn't seem to matter what type of driving, although I don't use the AC much. We were surpised to find we even got 40 mpg going from Denver to Grand Junction (over mountain passes) and back.
    Byron2, our 2008 gets 40 mpg average on regular unleaded with very little variation (maybe 2 mpg) and in mixed driving, and has very good torgue. I calculated milage on the first 20 tanks. I normally drive calmly with gas mileage in mind, although I accelerate to merge and whatnot without worrying about it. The mileage remains great.
  • If you read a number of these posts, you'll see that Fit owners are getting anywhere from really poor MPG (low 20s) to nearly unbelievable MPG (high 40s - haven't seen any numbers in the 50s). There are a large number of factors that will affect each driver's fuel economy (and I won't list them here to keep this short). My family has three 08 Sport Automatics, and between the 3 cars we've seen anywhere from 27 to 45 MPG.

More important than fuel economy is the "fun-to-drive factor," and the Fit rates very high on that scale. Go forth, drive your Fits, and enjoy them while you can (because in a few years we'll all be driving new types of vehicles that won't have internal combustion engines).
    If your getting 27 mpg, that's it. Your not going to get better than that. The Fit numbers are estimates on flat roads and even then city is 28, combined is 30 and highway is 34. You must drive at no more than 50 mph to avoid stop & go and shifting gears at 2500 rpm's.

I think it's hard to say. Let's see what a few hundred more miles will do. But we have a LOT of hills in this area and it downshifts 2 gears a lot of time to get up the hills.
    I think I can get it better, but my Civic Si got 28-30mpg combined and easily 28 just in town. But that was a 6spd manual.
    I'm hoping for 30mpg combined out of the Fit. Time will tell tho. It's still on it's second tank of gas.
  • wxlwxl Posts: 2
    I agreed. It all depends on your driving style. I have a 2009 Fit Sports MT. The 1st tank of gas I got 37.4 MPG based on fill-up and tripdometer mileage. I have 70 -30 highway to local ratio. Car computer showed 43 MPG which is way off and too high. I am still within the break-in period. I have been pretty light on gas and I do not rev the engine too high to accelerate. I think this is the best mileage I can get out of the car. I am quite impressed with it.
  • I've got an 09 Fit Sport AT. When I drove it back to Oklahoma from Fayetteville I was not impressed with the highway mileage, only 28mpg, which I calculated manually. The Fit seems to struggle when I drive it above 70 miles per hour. We were trying to keep it at 80 mph but it would always downshift, which of course is going to use more gas. It seems to lose mpg efficiency above 70 miles per hour. I need to take a trip to CA this summer but am not impressed with Fit's open road capabilities. Any thoughts?
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"We were trying to keep it at 80 mph but it would always downshift, which of course is going to use more gas. It seems to lose mpg efficiency above 70 miles per hour. I need to take a trip to CA this summer but am not impressed with Fit's open road capabilities. Any thoughts? "

Yeah....Slow down!

The Fit wasn't designed to be an open road speedster. It is more of a commute and "scoot around" vehicle. Although it does quite well at posted speed limits. Do yourself a favor and read several pages of this forum, and you will learn how speed kills mileage.

Those that go fast have to buy the gas! ;)

Kip
  • I could get 35 MPG for a whole tank doing 80 the whole time. 07 sport AT. Just under 3000rpm at 80 mph.
  • No way I have 2008 sport auto full highway at 70.Maybe get 30 mpg at the best.And it is broken in 10000 miles
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Might want to refigure that or it was a discrepancy in the way the tank was filled. :)
  • WELL no to bad for me it is figured right I have taken it to the dealer 2 times and they say well it is between 28-35 mpg so there is not any thing wroung ha ha but it is a lot better then the 27mpg I was getting on the highway up till around 7000 miles :confuse:
  • I've been driving the same car and commute since July of 06. Maybe it's an 06 fit? whatever, the first US version.

It's 80 for half the commute, 72 for the other half. Get to ~190 miles on the half tank line. refill around 330 miles, when the light comes on, about 9.4 gallons on fill up. Consistently since purchase. I've never ever gotten below 33 MPG in any scenario (stop and go, lon climb up north, aggresive driving).

I think there's some turth to the good batch/bad batch.
    So far I've had a best of 27 mpg and the car is now at 1,000 miles. No way is it fuel efficient. My 2008 Civic Si with snow tires never dropped below 28 mpg even in the city. My wife loves driving the car and it's ok in the snow with the stock tires but next year we will be getting either an AWD or a 4WD vehicle. We just get too much snow and ice for me to be comfortable with the Fit as our only car for winter use. SUV's might get poor economy but they will get you there in the winter over unplowed roads. We have a lot of hills and a lot of snow and this year a LOT of ice. I didn't want an SUV but might have no choice. The Fit is not as economical to run as the Civic but it is considerably more versatile.
  • I can understand your feeling for the need to have an SUV for winter driving. We have 3 Fits in our family, and I bought either winter tires or winter tires mounted on steel wheels for each car, which we are driving right now in Nebraska (which has seen snow and cold recently). We are getting around OK with the Fits, but I also have an 03 CR-V that I bought new, has gone over 100K miles, and am keeping to drive on bad weather days. The Fits ride so close to the ground that if you get a significant snowfall and then the roads get plowed, you end up with a lot of spots where the accumulated snow/ice can cause the Fits to bottom out. So go forth and enjoy your Fits in the winter, but watch the potholes or the hard frozen piles of snow to avoid damage.
  • wistlowistlo Posts: 13
    First tank with highway miles for me was 34.2 MPG. Average indicated on gauge was 37.1.

This from Birmingham AL to Slidell LA, all Interstate except for about 30 miles on rolling hill side road (US 11 in MS). Speed varied between 65 and 80, 50-75% of time at 70 with cruise. No A/C.

This is a *new* car (a Christmas present that Santa will bring from its hiding place across town, tomorrow). Car was delivered with a 32 miles and a "full" tank. I don't know if the dealer actually topped it before handing it over. If the full tank started at 0 miles, then mileage would be 37.6.

I will post again as I accumulate mileage.
  • Hey, another southern Fit fanatic! Welcome aboard... ("thegraduate" and I both live in Birmingham). :)