Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

1121122123124125127»

Comments

• mklimo13mklimo13 Posts: 1
    Just curious if anyone has any real world data to support Honda's claim that the base model Fit gets higher MPG than the Fit Sport?

Or any other thoughts or opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike
  • johnk15johnk15 Posts: 4
    My mileage is exactly as murphious describes. Mine is a 2009 Fit Sport m/t (w/nav).
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    So you're saying your Camry4 gets 36mpg in the city/town driving?
  • I have a 08 Fit with a manual transmission, and I'm getting decent gas milage. With all city driving I'm getting around 30-32mpg, and its Chicago stop and go traffic. But now I'm doing almost all highway driving, so around 90:10 highway to city, and I got 38mpg. I'm going to try to get 40mpg which should be easy if I slow down from 75mph to around 60mph. My advice is you really have to be driving like a grandpa out there, most of the time I'm shifting at 2500rpm. I usually go through all my gears before I hit 40mph. Just my 2 cents.
  • Mike,

The difference in MPG for the two different models of the 2011 Fit are pretty small and only involve the Automatic Transmission models. The 5 - speed manual is the same MPG: 27 city, 33 mpg highway.

The difference is probably (?) due to the small, but cumulative, difference in real-end gear ratios and transmission gear ratios.

In my personal, but very limited experience with my 2011 M/T Honda Fit, 60/40 city/highway ration, has been 32 - 33 MPG. My computer recently said "38 MPG" after a "highway only" trip up and down a local hilly area (50 mile trip), but I only quote MPG that are computed by me from actual miles divided by gallons of petrol purchased.

Previous to this recent "38 MPG" computer (odometer) readout, the computer said "31.9 MPG" for several hundred miles and several tankfuls of gasoline. So it has been relatively accurate in the recent past, for what ever that is worth!

Best Regards,

MountainMike
  • andysdandysd Posts: 87
    I haven't read all the postings, but I know from experience that it is worthwhile to check the odometer (and the speedometer) against GPS readings to be accurate and to enable objective comparison with the experience of others. For anyone who hasn't done it, you can zero the trip reading of the GPS at the same time you zero your odometer after filling up, and make your trip miles divided by gallons calculation for mpg using both the GPS and the odometer readings for comparison.

I have a low mileage Milano Red 2011 Fit Sport 5MT. My mpg experience is complicated by the fact that I installed 17" Kosei Racing wheels with 215/45-17 Kumho ECSTA SPT tires saved from a 2004 Civic. Therefore, my corrections would not apply to your car.

Digressing from mpg, I bought a Fit because of its emergency lane change test results reported in Car and Driver (faster than Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette). Also, its 0-60 8.3 seconds is not totally sluggish, and the engine winds up to max rpm with no strain. I frequently drive the local twisty two lane mountain roads in San Diego East County, and am blown away by my Fit's cornering performance, even compared to friends' Ferraris and a GTI. I've done a few things to the car: the wheels and tires, new horns, back-up distance sensors, more open muffler and tail pipe, chrome dash interior, leather shift knob, new Hertz speakers and amp.

Perhaps the result of the wider, stickier tires to me the brakes seem quite effective compared to their poor reported road test results.
  • My 2009 Honda Fit Sport has been getting 38 mpg. I have realized tire pressure is a big thing that helps with your mpg.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    2011 Honda Fit Base AT with 6,700 miles. I keep track on Fuely using manual calculations, drive for mileage, but not a hypermiler -- especially my wife who puts on 60% of miles. 50% urban miles & 50% highway. Fit averages average 36.2 mpg; best 42.5 (so far). I believe it will improve with more miles & summer weather.

An comparison that might interest some is that I also have 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 with CVT & 23,000 miles. Average mileage 28.4. Best 34.6 - (this was fluke & it rarely tops 30 mpg).

Not a lot of difference between the overall get up & go of these two, but overall the OB has the edge, especially above 50 mph. Fit gets about 27% better mileage.

I really like both these cars for what they are & are satisfied with both. But I find it pretty amazing that the FWD Fit which weights about 800 lbs less & has significantly smaller engine can only go 27% further on a gallon of gas than the signficantly larger & more comfortable AWD Outback. Way to go SOA
  • While it’s a good car, there is nothing amazing about SOA fuel performance. It’s really a lesson in physics, weight, and momentum. What an automobile engineer would tell you in simple terms--and this is a concept many folks don't understand: It takes a smaller engine a lot more energy to move a mass from 0 acceleration than a larger engine therefore it burns more fuel to do so. The decreased weight of the Fit is really insignificant--its dead weight from a stop. The savings in fuel in the Fit (or any small engine car) comes in after the car has achieved a certain momentum. If all we did was stop and go all day, your MPG would be worse than if the FIT had a larger engine.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Everyday local driving yields 34-36 mpg. Calculated mileage is about 1/2 -1 mpg lower than the displayed mileage. As a comparison, Our 09 Ridgeline averages 16-18 mpg in same terrain. The wifes 09 Rav4 (4 cylinder AT) averages 22-24 mpg.

This car has become the ride of choice most of the time. Not only because of it getting the best fuel mileage, but the ease of parking, and quick handling, make it fun to drive.

Examined a lot of small hatchbacks and drove a few. Actually liked some of them better than the Fit. And some got better "indicated" mpg on the test drive. Some had more comfortable and more adjustable seats, and quieter cabins. But they didn't "FIT" the needs!

Needed a small car with low seat height, so 92 yr old mom could get in and out with ease. Also needed room for a Rollator (walker with 4 wheels) and a wheel chair at the same time. And while carrying a driver and 2 passengers.

I chose the Fit because the Rollator will go behind the rear seat, through the hatch, without folding it. At the same time a wheel chair can be folded and put in (rolled in) the driver side rear door with that seat bottom up and a passenger on the passenger side rear seat.

Can't do all that, that easy, even with my wifes '09 Rav4.

Kip