Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• hqly2001hqly2001 Posts: 92
    No i have not brought it back to the dealer.. I have about 500 miles on it.. manual said it will be brken in at 600 miles. I've read that some people who have brought it in have said that the service deparment doesn't do anything. Some even mentioned that they were told to give it for 10k mile then bring it in once it has been borken in 10k miles.

If i bring it in now, will they just say that it's because the car has not been borken in and to wait?

I drive about 95% hwy and between 65-75.
    I guess you eithe rhave a freak car or you're working correctly :)
    i tried hard to get 28mpg on mostly all hwy..
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Wow, 500 miles is not a lot to go on. In that case, keep driving and do the highway test to put to rest your concern. If you drive between 60-65, you should get a good mileage rating. My car has 8K miles and its been consistently getting the same mileage so not sure why 10K would make a difference at this point.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    "i'm guessing u use the paddles? i wonder if it would be better to use the paddles since i could control the shifting "

I don't use the paddles at all. In fact, I use cruise control as much as possible (I take it off for the steep portions of the Grapevine and drive about 60 so that the car won't shift to 3rd). I had been noticing my gas mileage dropping, so Friday I eased off on acceleration (didn't try to keep up with everyone else for a change), and since traffic was lighter through Santa Clarita I put the cruise on earlier than normal - got 39 mpg that day, vs. the 33-36 I've been getting recently.

I got unbelievably good gas mileage going to Vegas (I often do - it's mostly downhill for me and Saturday I had a tailwind). I never post the figures here because I'd hate to get others thinking this car could routinely get such fabulous mileage (drove 300 miles and had noticably more than a quarter tank left when I filled up).

Sunday's drive back was "interesting." I left Vegas at around 8:30am, then spent 3 hours going about 10 miles between Jean and Primm. I would shut the engine off for about 5-30 minutes, restart it to creep forward a couple of car lengths, then stop and turn it off again. I don't know how many times I turned it off and turned it back on - I accidentally ground the starter a couple of times thinking I had turned it off when I hadn't.

I finally passed Primm (at the Nevada-California state line) around 12:30 pm, and ended up fighting a head wind or a cross wind the rest of the way. This wasn't a breeze - Edwards AFB reported the wind at 20 mph with gusts up to 30. Set the cruise control at 65, except across the part between Afton Canyon and Barstow, when I didn't want to accelerate and brake all the time. Then I set the cruise at around 62-63 because that's what the 18-wheelers seemed to be doing. I left it at 65 most of the time I was on Hwy 58.

I stopped for gas at the small community outside Edwards. My gas mileage still came out to 33 mpg!

My conclusion from this:

1. Always carry water in your car (I didn't), even when it's a routine trip you've done a million times. The Starbucks coffee I had didn't last long.

2. Always carry sunscreen. It doesn't matter if you never get out of the car long enough to need it - I had the windows open to keep as cool as I could and got sunburned.

3. As hard as it is (this car is quite peppy), easing off of the accelerator makes a huge difference. I'm not talking about jack-rabbit starts, I'm talking about not pushing it as much as most people in SoCal routinely do when starting up at a stop sign or traffic light.

4. Use the cruise control set at 65 as much as possible - the car does a better job at not over-accelerating or driving faster than planned than I do. If you drive this little car like an economy car, it will give you wonderful economy. If you drive it like a performance car, it will do a pretty good imitation of one, but won't give you any economy.

5. I might have gotten home quite a bit sooner if I had been driving the Wrangler - there are several dirt roads that I could have taken. But it would have been a very expensive trip - I would have been lucky to get 16 mpg with that much wind, and it would have been a constant struggle.

Final note - have I said that I love this little car?
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    It also seems that folks in CA get about 5 mpg less than everyone else.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    "It also seems that folks in CA get about 5 mpg less than everyone else."

:confuse:

Base 5MT, Southern California
    Average tanks: 33-35 mpg
    Highest tank: 41.7 mpg
    I don't know about SoCal people getting about 5 mpg less. I just figured up my overall average:

miles: 14,660.3
    gallons: 409.349
    mpg: 35.813

That's definitely lower than before (had been running overall average over 36). I still can't complain at all. I actually have just over 15,000 on the odo - I missed recording two tanks. Driving is almost all SoCal freeways - very little city driving. It does include large elevation differences (live at almost 6,000 feet and work at sea level, commute is 150 miles round trip). Some short trips on the weekends (around 10 - 15 miles), along with a number of 300 mile one-way trips to Vegas (go about every 3 weeks).

Oil is down to 30% so I'm starting to think about when I can fit our second oil change in within the next month or so.
    Please tell me that your first few tanks were below 28 and then it improved as oyu got closer to 15k..:)
    I know that 500 miles is not a lot to go on.. I hope to see improvement but after reading some of the stuff on here
    I kinda doubt that I will improve 5-7 miles per gallon when it's finally borken in.. hope i'm wrong though..
    If you check out some posts on the Real World MPG site, some folks has over 10k-15k and their milage is still around 24-28 MPG.. which is discouraging.. Especially sicne i drive hwy95% of the time and do everything to try to save gas and only get 26-28 mpg.. kinda disaapointing.. I'm not even getting the low end of city.. With that said.,. besides ur first tank.. i don't think you've gotten below 30 driving normal right?
    How did you fix the auto feature of the power windows?
    I wanna try it for my Fit but will need to know how to fix the window
    "It also seems that folks in CA get about 5 mpg less than everyone else."

Just my observation. It might just be the ethanol. I'd like to see a poll of California vs the world in MPG, or ethanol vs the non ethanol.
    "Please tell me that your first few tanks were below 28 and then it improved as you got closer to 15k"

My first couple of tanks were around 30 mpg, then increased to where it was running 37 mpg pretty consistently (didn't let it shift to 3rd gear on the steep parts of Grapevine). Then it decreased until Friday. I was thinking that my increased mileage since Friday was more careful driving (been doing that) but it's also less humid now. I had noticed that some of the biggest drops in mpg, along with the car not having quite as easy time climbing the Grapevine coincided with the unusually high humidity we had for a couple of weeks.
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    I'm seeing my gas mileage increase with ea. fillup - give it some time before you stress too much over it.

My City MPG to date: 22.66 MPG (dealer fill), then 25.37 MPG, then yesterday 28.51 MPG. I now have 916 miles on my Sport AT. I don't baby it and I don't race from light to light - I use Costco gas exclusively because it's cheap and convenient. And yes, I keep my tires inflated properly. I'm hoping (and expect) my mileage will continue to improve as the little beast gets broke in - good luck! :)
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    How did you fix the auto feature of the power windows?
    I wanna try it for my Fit but will need to know how to fix the window

Turn on ignition switch or start the car.
    Push window switch down hard enough to activate "AUTO" and hold that until window fully reaches bottom.
    Then pull up on the switch including "AUTO" and hold until window fully reaches top and continue to hold an additional 2-3 seconds.

If you have one of the radios that blink a red lite when car is turned off, it will have to be reset also to even work. The purpose of that type radio is that if it is stolen the thieves can't use it because they don't know the CODE. You have the code on a credit card size card in your new car book package. The card has the code for your radio and explains how to do it.

That info,the Idle Learn Procedure, and the Auto Window Fix are all contained within that Pilot service bulletin.

http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x02-029e.pdf

Surely there is a get ready service bulletin for the FIT.
    Hopefully someone can find it and get it posted. :)

I forgot to say that when doing the "Idle Learn Procedure" to let the engine continue to idle for an additional 10 minutes after the second cooling fan operation. An additional fan operation may or may not take place. The important things to remember are to:

1. Start with cold engine.
    2. Turn off all accessories.
    3. Disconnect battery for a few minutes.
    4. Connect battery.
    5. Start engine without touching throttle.
    6. Let engine idle until 10 minutes after the radiator cooling fan cycles the 2nd time.
    7. I then switch off engine for a couple of seconds, just in case. Kind of like re-booting your computer after a program install.
    8. Then do the window and radio thingies.

NOTE: It can take 15+ minutes for the cooling fan to cycle the first time. It is very quiet and you need to keep a close eye on it. The good news is that you probably can't let it idle TOO long. So if you should happen to miss the 1st time, don't worry. just be sure you see it cycle twice plus an additional 10 minutes of idle after the 2nd time. It may or may not cycle during that 10 minutes.

Kip
  • daummhdaummh Posts: 5
    I looked up your fit pix in car sapce. Nice color. It reminds me of a 92 Mazda 323 which used to live at that same house a fair number of years ago. :)
  • Hey, Kip!

I have the 11 page 2007 Fit: PDI "Get Ready" on my PC. How do I get it to show here? Thanks.............

Regards,
    Bubba :)
  • Kip,

I should have mentioned that it's a PDF file.

Bubba
  • Okay...I've been absent for awhile. What is this? What do I need it for? Help bring me up to speed. thanks.
  • manlokmanlok Posts: 11
    You can upload to the free online service website such as http://www.megaupload.com/ then post the link here... looking forward to see the file :D
    333.3 miles, 9.12 gallons,

36.54 mpg. I've been staying under 80, and I rarely accelerate hard enough to force the AT to jump back a gear.
  • You bugger! How in the heck are you!?! And yes, the haulability of the Fit definitely reminds me of your Mazda 323. Do you still have it?
  • Please explain how you do dat!

Bubba
  • Gang,

This is something that every FIT owner will want to download to their PC and read. Put the below URL in your browser Address and hit Enter. When you get to the site, it will ask to enter a 3 digit code that will be shown for you. This a pdf file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6SIZBTNB

This is the 11 page Fit Service Bulletin 06-017. Enjoy.

Regards,
    Bubba
  • fit_nessfit_ness Posts: 58
    Thanks! Good reading.
  • manlokmanlok Posts: 11
    You got it, thank you!! :D
  • jrlncjrlnc Posts: 48
    VBP Sport m/t
    60/40 Hwy/city
    a/c use 90%

Miles: 358.5
    Gallons: 9.503
    --------------
    = 37.73 MPG :)

I now have a Scangauge and will start using it next week. It will be interesting to see what I can do with my mileage.

Stay tuned.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Posts: 58
    I've almost pushed the Scangauge II BUY button twice this week. There was one on eBay for $155. Then I found one for $165. Did you buy yours direct from the manufacturer? One of the Toyota forums arranged a group buy on the older model.

I'm really interested in how Scangauge II works out for you. Also interested in the blue lighting compared to Fit's, how easy it is to connect, and mounting location you choose. Thanks.
  • jrlncjrlnc Posts: 48
    Funny that you mention that. The one on eBay for $155 was the one I bought! Just slightly used (1 week) and works perfectly. (I just plugged it in and drove just a while ago.)

The blue display color doesn't perfectly match the Fit's instrument color (which has a slight tint of purple in it) but it does look pretty good. The problem is where to mount it. I thought of mounting it under the climate controls -- that is where some Fit owners have mounted their satellite radios and and GPS's. But not very safe to glance at while you're driving. For now I'm going to use a temporary piece of masking tape so that I can move it around. For starters I have it taped above the top of the steering wheel. It blocks the lower edge of the speedometer, but not so you can't read it.

Re: the old model Scangauge - don't get that one. It's bulkier and ugly and doesn't have flexible settings and colors.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Good job! :shades:

Problem is that I'm too computer illiterate to get them to my screen. Can anybody help?

Kip