Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• I have a 08 honda fit sport. tracked mpg religiously my first year.

I am replacing my tires presently and read reviews on tire rack about oem tires dunlop sp37 i believe. it said they excel in gas economy. so I am expecting lower economy on my new tires which are not on yet.

That said, I found about 4 mpg decrease over the winter with the same tires. Approximately 35 mpg down to 31 mpg.

any
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    One word to explain unexpected high mpg on the highway. Tailwind. It makes a huge difference. I can get 33 mpg in my minivan with a nice tailwind, and close to 50 mpg in my Accord (this is at about 62-3 mph). Of course with a a headwind the reverse is true.
  • I've had my new 2010 fit sport auto for less than a month and a couple tanks of gas, but I'm pleased so far with the mileage. I'm averaging 32-33mpg with 40%city/60%highway mix and 33 is the EPA rated highway mileage. On congestion free highways I notice 37~39mpg is easily achievable... that's awesome in my book. The mileage computer in the 2010 is pretty accurate too.. it said 32.7mpg and when I refueled and did the math I computed 32.9.. AWESOME!

I am driving it mellow but would guess aggressive mixed driving would put you in the 29mpg area. Not bad.
  • staticdstaticd Posts: 3
    word. i drive mine like a bat outta hell and i AVERAGE 31 MPG +/- .5! Awesome. When i say bat outta hell, i mean i max accelerate a lot, cruise at around 78 mph. best commuter car ever.
  • I have a 2008 Sport fit. When I bought the car I was getting 34 road 30 city. I am now getting 25MPG city. Have 36000 miles on it What could have happened to drop 5MPG. Bill
  • Air in the tires,Dirty Air Filter,bad gas,could be lots of things
    Did you install new tires? That can drastically drop mpg if the new tires are not as efficient. Especially since a tire is most efficient when it is about worn out.
  • Installed 195 60 15 and thought that was the problem. Took them off and installed 195 55 15 General Tires (original size) back on the car. Using my trip odometer to calculate miles traveled.
  • tele_marktele_mark Posts: 10
    I recently traded my 2008 Yaris for a 2010 Fit Base with manual transmission. First tank completed. Brand new engine, 11 miles on it at delivery. Same driving conditions as the Yaris for my commute -- New England "mixed" driving, little stop and go to be considered city driving -- I live in No. Central Massachusetts and my 30 mile commute is into So. NH , averaging about 50 MPH.

Normal driving, plus some "spirited" excursions down some twisty roads to check the handling. Pretty much normal driving. Results: 377.7 miles on the first tank, 9.3336 gallons to fill it. 40.46 MPG on paper, 40.7 average reported by the car's average MPG gauge.
  • wistlowistlo Posts: 13
    This is consistent with my results, on Fit now approaching 26,000 miles. Mileage got better for me after the first thousand miles.

My measured mileage at 50 with cruise control is 40-43 mpg. At 70, the best I can get is 34-37. The dash indicator is consistently above that, I mentally slice off 10-15% any time I look at it.
    Second tankful today. Almost a carbon copy of the first -- 368.5 miles on 9.066 gallons, calculated to 40.64 MPG. Same conditions as the first tank -- commuting 60 miles RT daily, from 30 MPH in places to 70+ MPH, with 50-60 MPH most of the time. Also this tankful included some city driving for about 30 miles where the MPG gauge went all the way down to 38 MPG. This car will at least easily get the mileage the Yaris it replaced got with equal effortlessness.
    edited May 2010
    Third tank completed -- 347.6 miles, 8.4 gallons to fill -- 41.4 MPG, 1000 miles on the vehicle.
  • carattorneycarattorney Posts: 54
    edited June 2010
    Folks,

I have been reading these MPG posts for some time, and it seems like FIT owners gas mileage is all over the place and that makes sense--Poor MPG is less likely to be a mechanical problem with the FIT than caused by other factors--some controllable and some not. On a small light car like the FIT, MPG is going to be more sensitive to tire pressure, are you using the air conditioner, passenger and cargo weight, on board weight location, wet or dry roads, ambient temperatures, idle time, heat or cold, how fast on highway, and highway or city driving.

I have a 2009 Base FIT with 11K+ miles on it and at its worst MPG (approx. 23) I was sitting in stop and go Los Angeles traffic with the air conditioner on all day. A few weeks later, I filled the tank up and headed to San Diego, Sunday morning, no traffic for 125 miles and MPG was 41. Some months later traveling to San Francisco from LA, 39 MPG up using the full tank and 42 MPG back using another full tank. (More downhill going from SF to LA.) Over 11K miles, my combined usual highway and city driving gets me approx. 30 MPG.

Looking at and reading now my Base FIT Sticker EPA: City is 28 (23 to 33 range), and highway is 35 (29 to 41 range). So my experience thus far has been right on target. Now most FIT owners reading this have the Sport model, which due to wider tires and heavier suspension and equipment weight gets 2 MPG less I believe it is. So factor that in too if you have Sport.

Lets turn to tire pressure--the FIT MPG is very sensitive to tire pressure. I learned this when my average MPG a few months ago dropped from 30 to 27-28. It took me a month or more to find time to check the pressure and I then discovered that every tire was approx. 3 to 5 lbs under recommended pressure just from normal use over a few months. After pumping the tires, the better MPG returned.

Weight--I always keep approx 50 lbs of stuff in the hatch area and clothes hanging weight in the FIT. I like and need the convenience, but I know that I am paying for it in 1-2 MPG probably. You are less likely to notice weight MPG effect on a large vehicle than a small one like the FIT. On a 2 person, 2 bike, 2 suitcase trip to Tucson and back from LA, highway tank MPG was at best 38 MPG simply due to the weight. The trip to SF and back was better: 1/2 the extra weight.

Other things I do, because that's just the way I am, but you certainly don't have to is Synthetic Oil Changes at the dealer and 91 octane or more fuel always. It's not required--but I just do it. I traded in a Mercedes for the FIT--my happiest day and still is, so when the Honda dealer tells me that it's 50 for an oil change, I want to hug him, because it used to be 125 for the Mercedes at the same interval.

After years of the Porsche and then the Mercedes, you don't know how lucky you are to own a FIT. I have so much more free time and peace of mind on the road. One year on my ML 350, with only 40K miles in it, the Mercedes service advisor did so many warranty repairs and was so accommodating to me, that I bought him a nice gift certificate for Xmas. I was at the service bay so much talking to him, that we almost became best friends.

Enjoy! :)

PS. Some folks have written that they think the FIT MPG gauges are all broken and off by as much as 4 MPG. It’s not broken. Honda would not install an important instrument that is highly inaccurate.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited June 2010
    The Fit's MPG gauge is in fact documented to be off by 10-15% on 2009 models. There's a TSB on it. It's been corrected for the 2010 models.

link to Fit mpg TSB
  • jkandelljkandell Posts: 116
    For two years I got high 30s in manual Fit all-city driving by careful hypermiling (lots of chances for coasting in neutral). Then I moved branches and using the same hypermiling but in less conducive roads got low 30s. I thought something was wrong mechanically. How could it drop so much? Then switching back to old office, back to high 30s. The route makes a huge difference with the Fit.
  • I've owned my Fit for over 1 year now. Once i installed the k & n replacement air filter and started doing my oil changes with synthetic, the car's overall performance is great. Tire pressure at 32 psi all around and rotating tires with 20,000 miles. I usually get around 34 to 36 mpg just city driving by myself and 36 to 42 mpg on the highway. With passenger, air condition and driving 80 mph on freeway i'm averaging 39 mpg. Handling is great through the canyons on stock height. Overall i love this car, it does great in whatever activity you want.
  • hojczykhojczyk Posts: 2
    Just traveled 9,000 mile around the country...MPG averaged 37.5...
  • wordsworthwordsworth Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    I purchased a 2010 Fit base model after having been assured by dealer that no performance or handling upgrades were available on either Sport or base and that the only difference is in the cosmetics. I found out the same day that was not strictly true. The handling was really horrible as was the performance. I had expected poor performance, but all the test reports I had seen thought the handling was great!
    Bottom line was it took me about three weeks to find a buyer even for $3000 less than I paid, but during that time I averaged 33 mpg on regular gas. However, considering the awful handling and braking, even if it had got 100 mpg I would still have wanted out .
    Moral is that saving money sometimes costs. The other lesson I learned was never to buy a Honda anything ever again.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"The handling was really horrible as was the performance. I had expected poor performance, but all the test reports I had seen thought the handling was great!"

All those test reports are wrong?. WOW!

Didn't you drive it before the purchase?

What did you replace the Fit with?

Kip
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited July 2010
    Almost none of the usual enthusiast sources bothered to test the base Fit. The larger wheels and low profile tires on the Sport make a big difference, as does the rear stabilizer bar.

The Honda literature and website clearly indicate the differences, and you took the word of a salesperson rather than check for yourself? And I'm with Kip--why not test drive first, then buy?

Sorry, man, but it sounds like you made an uninformed and very expensive decision. Better luck next time.
  • wtmkzwtmkz Posts: 2
    Bought a used 2009 Honda Fit Sport. In ten tanks of gas, average MPG is 37.92. Car is driven easily by my wife. We use the average MPG gauge to help max out mileage. Hope this helps.
  • wtmkzwtmkz Posts: 2
    Bought a used 2009 Honda Fit Sport. In ten tanks of gas, average MPG is 37.92 actual milege, not the trip computer average - as this is 10% off. Car is driven easily by my wife. We use the average MPG gauge to help max out mileage. Auto, Fit Sport, with A/C on, nitrogen in tires (no help)
  • cwalticwalti Posts: 185
    Nitrogen in Tire is a scam anyway. Our breathing air consists of >78% nitrogen ~18% oxygen and the rest are misc 'pollutants'. If the 'tire-air' is dry and free of oil, it will be just as good as garbage n2... If you really want to save gas, turn off the A/C. Your tire has a max PSI rating. Inflate it to 3 or 4 PSI below that number. The PSI call-out in your door jamb is a compromise from the manufacturer to get a smoother ride, That is why they are calling for ~32 PSI in most cases... I run my Element and CR-V at ~38 to 40 PSI improving the mpg by about 3.
    I agree about the Nitrogen being an extra charge scam. Its claim to fame is supposed to be that the tire pressure will not fluxuate as much when the temperature changes. While it may help some, both our 09 RAV4 and 09 Ridgeline's nitrogen filled tires turned on their tire low pressure lights when the temps got down around freezing last winter. And I didn't have any Nitrogen available to add to them. So they got air!

There are two camps when talking about air pressure. Both will aggressively defend their stand.
    I personally believe that inflating a tire to near the maximum on the sidewall results in the center of the tread bubbling out and bearing more of the weight of the car than the outer edges. Therefore wearing quicker in the middle. Also because less tread is on the road, the tire is less safe in wet weather and emergency maneuvers.
    The tire will also ride rougher because it doesn't flex as easily. Over inflation can result in a bit better fuel mileage because less tread on the road results in less friction.

The tire pressure on the door jam reflect the tire being able to run with all the tread on the road equally across the tire. This has to do with the weight of the car and the sidewall construction. The car will ride better and handle better in emergency situations and likely last longer.

Makes sense to me that with EPA mileage ratings being so important these days, that the manufacturers would use tires inflated to the highest "Safe" pressure possible to obtain the best mileage possible.

The best way to find the absolute best pressure to meet safety and mileage considerations is to put a chalk mark across the tread and drive the car a mile or so on a straight smooth surfaced road without turning the steering wheel any more than necessary. When the pressure is correct for the car and the tire design the chalk will wear evenly across the tread.

Excessive pressure will result in the chalk in the middle wearing before the chalk on the edges. Too little pressure will result in the edges wearing off before the center.

With that said, if the vehicle becomes heavier due to load, towing, and so forth the tires will flatten more and need a bit more pressure.

Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Kip
  • cwalticwalti Posts: 185
    I think the center-buldging is more a problem for the old bias-ply tires that the modern multi layer steel belts. These should hold contour pretty steady across a 'wide' pressure range...
    You may be right. The best way to be sure would be to do the chalk thing.

Like I said, both camps will defend their beliefs. :)

Kip
  • fossilminfossilmin Posts: 1
    I'm doing a similar mpg test after I had the idle learn procedure performed by a local Honda dealer on my newly purchased 2006 CRV automatic. The best mpg I got was over 31, but this was on a relatively flat very good FWY @ a cruise control speed of 70 mph for 351 miles. The outside temp was fairly consistent @ 97 degrees F. More data to follow.

Fossilmin
    I run 40 psi and have no wear in the center of the tire. The tires actually last longer with more pressure because more pressure = less flex = less heat = longer life. The extra pressure also stiffens the sidewalls and make the tire handle better.

The only down side to more pressure (within reason) is a stiffer ride.

BTW - look in the manual of a BMW and it will recommend adding abut 8 psi for high speed autobahn travel. Would they say that if it was less safe?
  • This is very interesting what you wrote.
    I have been keeping my FIT Base Tires at the Manufacture recommended 32 plus 2 lbs=34
    I may pump em up to 38 next time and see what happens.
    I am always scared to exceed in fear that they will blow up under hot highway long drive conditions.
  • carattorneycarattorney Posts: 54
    edited July 2010
    I just got back from from my summer vacation. :shades: Drove my Base 2009 FIT 3128 miles over 10 days from Los Angeles to Portland, OR, then Seattle, WA, then to Vancouver BC, then back to Seattle, then to the Washington Coast, then down the Oregon Coast 1/2 way to Newport and then to Eugene, OR and then back to LA. I drove of course on the highways primarily, but also touring and parking around the stop and go cities, some traffic jams, stop and park for fuel, food, touring, 25 MPH zones on coast, road construction zones, etc., and approx. 5 to 6 hours of idle time looking at maps, GPS, phone, etc. (3 hours of that with AC on sleeping in the car in a rest stop). FINAL MPG over 3000 miles--per the car meter: 37.4. If I did not have the idle time, I am thinking it would have been closer to 38. :)

PS. No problems with the FIT or Tires at all--excellent performance the entire trip. Easy to drive, turn and park in large crowded cities.