Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali Towing

13»

Comments

• 3monkeys3monkeys Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Yukon 5.3L V8, four-wheel drive with the Tow Package and Tow/Haul Mode. I am so confused on what is the max trailer we can tow. Can someone help me please!!!! We want to upgrade from our 3,500 tent trailer but don't know how big we can go.
  • alabama3alabama3 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GMC Yukon 1500 SLE. I want to pull a horse trailer with it and need to know if it is powerful enough to do this safely.I have some info about the trailer if somebody could help me calculate if I have enough towing capacity.
  • tom387tom387 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a White Hawk 27DSRL ?, the empty weight is 5500lbs.
    I am towing with 2011 1500 Chevy Silverado EXT cab 4X, towing packages, 3.42 rear, the 5.3 ? 315hp engine, and according the manual my max towing weight is 9000 lbs. I was towing up steep mountain and the vehicle struggled. My biggest concern was a transmission temp of 210 degrees F. It dropped back to under 200 coming back down the other side of mountain pretty quick. Wondering if I need to go to 2500 truck. My camper is 1 ft smaller than yours and your max towing trailer weight is less than mine. I would deffinately re-think the camper purchase or plan on buying a tow vehicle.
    I would like to know every ones opinion on the transmission running at 210 is that too hot. Am I stressing the transmssion?
  • Yur dealer network needs to be trained. A brief survey will find that many are giving the consumers false information. I am a retired Ford engineer and was hite diamond happy, infact estatic, to buy a white diamond loaded Yukon XLT with every option including maximum trailer tow. Did I say every option?? Guess what, GM has an addition option that includes a larger radiator core and trans cooler that WAS NOT part of my rig. So guess what? I was forced to sell the rig when transmissio overheat was experienced. I even approached GM Tech Center Engineering, Customer Relations, and the dealership in an attempt to add the missing components. All other items including the transmission and axle ratios were right. I was told this would VIOLATE the warranty. There is a major distinction between MAXIMUM trailer tow and "trailer tow". (5900 vs 7900#)
    The dealer network is not well informed which resulted in my having to sell a perfectly good rig that delivered great fuel economy a could have adequately pulled 7900# given the transmission cooler. This was a serious $50,000 mistake!!!
    I would be pulling our camper today with a nice Yukon if it weren't for the lack of support in resolving my issue. I loved my Yukon which was far superior to a F150 eco-boost I'm currently driving; all because I was sold my Yukon with less than the MAXIMUM trailer tow by an ill informed sales person.
  • Regardless of specs, the fact of the matter is what you really need is an SUV classified as 2500 (such as the F-250, NOT A 1500 such as the F-150) – I own a Chevy Suburban 4wd etc etc and it is lazy pulling 6,500 pounds of trailer (plus her Mom) I can pass cars only if I am going downhill. If I encounter a steep hill – forget it, have patience, pull over, drive slow and let other pass you. Remember, your trailer might be say 5,500 lbs yet you have to add another 1000 for the hook up, people and luggage plus whatever you put in the fridge etc. yes it adds up. So instead of 5,500 now you are pulling 8,000. It adds up quickly. Even bikes have an effect. They have Chevy SUV 2500 and Yukon 2500 but they are hard to find. I don’t know why… you can tell one from the other by looking at the lug nuts,. One has 6 and the other 8 (if I remember correctly) – I’d say if you are pulling that much weight, go for an SUV classified as 2500 or go for the King… the mighty F-250 Ford (they are not cheap even though they have a huge hole in the back. Some of us call it “cargo area” lol) – good luck!!!
  • Your story hits home because this was same senario that got me it trouble a hear ago. Best case would be you have the 6.0 ltr powertrain with a 373 axle. The 5.3 will pull it but a 373 axle is critical as is the transmission cooler which can easily be seen mounted in front of the radiator. If it does not have it, then it won't have the larger radiator core either. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. By the way, all wheel drive is rated at less then 4 wheel drive
    and you are margial for total weight. The big deal is transmission over heat which ca result in a $4000.00 drepair bill.
    Note: While I love the Yukon, (nothing compares to the ride and overall use!) terrain, and where you plan on towing our drig can be factor of choice.
  • I traded the Yukon XL, (which the dealer PROMISED me would tow my boat - which of course it couldn't) and upgraded to a Chevy Suburban 2500 with a bigger engine, suspension and seriously more power. Problem solved.
13»