Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 vs Honda Accord

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Stranger comparision... before i bought my M3 i was looking at a honda element (ugly lil thing but met my needs), main reason i didnt get one was that it was tough to find one with a 5-speed and the sales people were arrogant pricks. Had i got the arrogant prick at one dealer id understand, but it happened at all four of the ones i went to. Went to one Mazda dealer, sales person was great, price was great so i bought the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've heard this before, from people in different areas - arrogant Honda dealers. We frequent a small-town-type dealership a few miles off the interstate, so they don't do a lot of volume. Their prices aren't always the absolute lowest, but we always get at least a decent price. The most important aspect is that we are treated as if we have been lifelong friends. I'm 19, and still get a handshake and an offer for a cup of coffee each time I'm there for service, and the sales manager comes and asks me how school's going, etc...Needless to say, this dealer (Serra Honda in Birmingham) has won numerous customer service awards.

Not your average dealership, I know. Sorry to hear about the ones in your area. A drop in sales because of these dealers will serve Honda right, and maybe fix the problem!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    My local Honda dealer is nothing to write home about, that's for sure. It's a good thing I only go by there every now and then, to pick up maintenance supplies. :)
    In the past year alone just in my family they have lost the sale of a CRV 4x4EX (my mom) and an Element EXP (mine). That may not be alot two vehicals, but i know we will never even consider a Honda again with the way we both were treated.
    I certainly understand that. I like the products Radio Shack sells, but will never go in that store again for customer service reasons... I'm a Honda guy, but can certainly understand your feelings.

Was this two different dealers? Did you visit others? (Just curious now)
    Actually it was four different dealers in the minneapolis/st paul area. I just couldnt believe that someone who wanted to try to sell a vehical would actually tell a customer he was too busy to deal with them today.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    Total agreement on the Honda dealers in the Mpls/St. Paul area. Back in 2005 I was btwn an Element and a 3. Ended up not liking that the Element's rear doors couldn't be opened from the outside w/o the front doors opened. Long story longer, the sales people at the three dealers I visited were all the same: They were annoying, and I got the impression they were too busy to sell me a vehicle. There is nothing like waiting at a dealership for someone to answer questions about their product. Despite their great product and cool advertising, the experience turned me off to Honda.
    Understandable. I went to get my car serviced today, and had an experience that was polar opposite to yours. I walked around the lot while I waited, and twice had someone ask me "Can I help you?" or "Looking for something in particular or just checkin' things out?"

I told them I was just getting my car serviced and wasn't shopping, they were polite and said something along the lines of "No problem, let me know if you have a question."

Part of that may just be the southern hospitality (I'm in Birmingham, AL)... it really does exist here. :)
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I've never run into any of that kind of arrogance here in the Pacific NW either.... and I've been to many Honda dealers over the years.
    Lived in south florida for a year also...most of the sales persons there were the same way. Acted like they were annoyed that i wanted to test drive something, not just sign the paperwork on it. Met one very good Honda salesman up here once, went back a week later and he was no longer with the company. I found that to be funny.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Very interesting. I am looking at an Accord 4-cyl 5-speed. Was comparing it to Camry, but they don't make any stick shift Camry's with the VSC and that was the only real advantage the Camry had over the Accord. Now I am trying to decide between the slightly larger, smoother, and more efficient Accord vs the smaller, better handling VSC equiped Mazda 3.

I really like the hatch on the 3 - wish Honda still made one (the Fit is too small).

If the Mazda 3 hatch had the 2.0 liter engine that gets better mpg than the Accord I would be all over it.

Tough to compare safety because there are so many factors. VSC could prevent an accident, but the Accord has better protection if you are in an accident.

The strange thing to me is that nobody make the car I want (out of the millions sold every year). My perfect vehicle would be an efficient 4-cyl station wagon with good handling and a stick shift.

A Corolla wagon that handles like a Mazda 3 would be about perfect. SUV like utility and hybrid like economy, with sporty handling. I find it hard to believe that nobody else wants something like this, and it is not being made - except in Europe where they are everywhere.

I absolutely drool over the Acoord wagon with a 50 mpg (highway) diesel engine.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    There are still manual Focus wagons left for sale. New US Focus will drop wagon & hatchback.
    The Focus comes pretty close, but it is not very efficient (I know it recently got better mpg for the '07 year) and it seems crude inside. Specifically the seats were way too soft, and there were no rear headrests at all. Love the size of it though and it does handle well. If it got Mazda3 2.0l mpg and had a Mazda3 (or Accord) interior it would be great - assuming the reliability is there. I was still very tempted.

CR got 42 mpg hwy for the stick shift 2.0 Mazda3 and 35 mpg hwy for the stick shift Focus 2.0. Quite a big difference especially since the EPA numbers are about the same and the engines should be very similar.

Wish Ford treated the Focus like a real car and not a throw away. It deserves better - needs to be updated to the new chassis.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    I agree, but for the price difference, you can sacrifice some mileage, I'd imagine.
    If the rest was up to snuff, the mileage would be less of a problem.

The other problem is that the mileage is not only about money. I have a thing about inefficiency, the whole greenhouse gas issue, and depending on foreign oil does not help either.
  • neteng101neteng101 Posts: 176
    My perfect vehicle would be an efficient 4-cyl station wagon with good handling and a stick shift.

The WRX comes to my mind as a possibility for you? :confuse:
    The WRX would be close if it used about half as much fuel. As it is, it uses more fuel than my minivan, so not too much point as a second more efficient vehicle.

The Matrix would be close if it handled better and had a telescoping wheel (the wheel is so far away).
  • i realize that this is somewhat off topic, but my father is interested in the mazda 3, and was wondering whether or not purchasing a new mazda would be more advantageous than purchasing a used volvo or acura (2005 or 6)

thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    used volvo or acura (2005 or 6)
    Which models?
    Go new. Then you have the warranty and not somebody else's problem.
This discussion has been closed.