Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Accent v 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift

vermonter16vermonter16 Posts: 29
edited May 10 in Hyundai
Has anyone been comparing these vehicles at all? I have been totally in love with the Yaris....looks especially and gas mileage... But I am drawn to the package of the new Accent which hopefully will be arriving soon. Anybody else considering these vehicles?

Comments

• ross14ross14 Posts: 36
    Read messages at "Low End Sedans, Under $16000"( most recent posts). The Accent Hatchbacks, unlike the Yaris, have not made it to dealers. The big question: How low can Hyundai go with the Accent GS, esp. with a rebate.
  • jsamajsama Posts: 2
    I have been waiting for this Accent GS 2007, for such a long time, that I am sick and tired, Eventhough I do not fit well in the Yaris hatchback,Iam 6'4", I am goint to buy this saturday. I fit better in the Fit ( I tried it )but the price is too much for such a small car. These Korean people are over estimating their new "Quality". Can't be like the Japanese. not now anyway. They could keep their car for what I care. Bye Hyundai, you lost a customer!!!. Keep it!!!! :P
  • I've looked around but can't find any at any dealers around the nation with internet searching. I've read the other forum but I haven't seen anybody saying that they've arrived yet. But I have noticed that all the Hyundai dealerships have only between 3,4 or 0 Accents...so I'm guess they are getting ready.

The one thing that is turning me off from the Yaris is the lack of standard ABS though I would pay extra if I could find one on the lot that had it. I can't wait 5 months for one to come in. I also really would like cruise control..not offerd on the liftback. I love the look of the car but I'm disappointed with the lack of options.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Posts: 509
    Here is an article on the 2006 Accent. What struck me when I sat in an Accent was that the interior closed in around you. The door seemed to intrude on the drivers space. I don't know if the 2007 you are discussing alters this. The article had a nice picture illustrating this in print, but apparently not available in the online version.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/automotive/1146252322113740.xml- ?oregonian?dtar&coll=7
  • Interesting. I have never sat in an Accent and probably won't look at them at all until the new hatchbacks arrive. This is supposed to be a commuter car for me. I love the looks of the yaris...but I don't like the fact that none of them are coming in with ABS. I need an economical car for commuting... I think I'm going to have to take a look at the Scion XA as well. I don't really want to spend a heck of a lot over $14,000 for this.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    For those who've been waiting, I stopped by my local Hyundai dealership last night (6/29), and they had an Accent hatchback in the lobby. The salesman told me that all Hyundai dealers received *1* 3-door Accent, probably just as a teaser, rather than to seriously to sell.

I didn't notice options and such, but *with* dealer markup added, the price was $14k. So a lower price should be easy to negotiate.

It looked good, too, although not in any ground-breaking way.
  • Was the one you saw an SE or a GS? My local dealership has been getting GS 3 doors fairly regularly (2-5 every week and they sell within days of being there from what I can tell) for about 2-3 weeks now and has been slling them at between 11-13K depending on options but they haven't gotten an SE yet.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    Didn't notice. If I find myself in the area, I may take a look.

I've already got the Elantra I'm looking for, so I wasn't overly concerned... :-)
  • lucynethellucynethel Posts: 81
    Check the "TRUE" cost of ownwership on each. Besides resale, check the costs of the 60K service for instance. An eyeopener....Mike
  • Where can I find this information? Thanks.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Your question is where can you find information on the SE? Correct?

Online / Your local dealership

The SE is differentiated from the regular Accent sedan (obviously), as well as the base 3 door in a few areas. Aside from sport tunning, and upgraded suspensions (to near Tiburon level), the most noticeable area you would find perhaps maybe the larger wheels (largest in the class) - 16" to be exact.
  • boziebozie Posts: 30
    Working on my grandsons 2000 Hyundia Accent-The altinator fuse continues to blow-Removed altinator ,had it checked out -checked fine but will not show a charge going back to the Battery post. The plugin for the altinator fuse completely burened out to the postive side of the battery. Have the two wires connected to a fuse fuse tail clip sufficing for the damage box in the main fuse assembly. Worked fine when driven yesterday for serval miles. Trid to start this morn. Fuse blown over night.Was going to take it too my Mechanic but want kick in starter. Tried jumping but to no avail. Need help ASAP. Harold Gammons(Bozie) PS-The Alternator does not show a charge coming back to the battery when it is running.That's Why trip to my mechanic is necessary.
  • jlemoinejlemoine Posts: 25
    Do you have a shorted cell in the battery??? If the alternator is fine then the short must lie somewhereelse in the wiring or battery
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    My opinion on the pros and cons of these two cars:

Yaris H/B Pros:

* Low starting price - includes A/C
    * Excellent fuel economy
    * Smooth ride for a small car
    * Excellent predicted reliability based on Toyota's history and specifically the history of its predecessor, the ECHO
    * Better predicted resale value than the Accent (see below)

Yaris H/B Cons:

* Side airbags/curtains and ABS are optional and are in limited supply
    * Features that are common standard features in this class such as rear window defroster, 60/40 rear seat, height-adjustable driver's seat, and tachometer are either optional or not available
    * Less passenger room than most competitors
    * Less cargo room (especially with back seat up) than most competitors
    * No side moldings to ward off dings (aftermarket?)
    * No cruise control or sunroof available as factory options (aftermarket?)
    * Center-mounted speedo is too small to be read easily at a glance
    * Crash test scores not very good, based on NHTSA scores for Yaris 4-door w/o side bags (4/4/3/3)

Accent H/B Pros:

* Low starting price (GS) - includes six airbags, 8-way driver's seat, 60/40 rear seat, 8-way driver's seat with armrest, tach, sport steering, variable intermittent wipers, and rear spoiler.
    * Standard side airbags/curtains and (in SE) standard ABS with EBD.
    * Good standard feature content in GS (except A/C) and SE (GS features per above plus A/C, power windows/locks/heated mirrors, remote locking with alarm, 6-speaker CD stereo, 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, sport suspension, 16" alloys with V-rated tires, leather wheel/shift knob, fog lamps, and dual lighted vanity mirrors)
    * Largest interior in its class (EPA rated as a compact)
    * Most powerful engine in its class
    * Clear gauges, mounted in front of driver
    * Very quiet for its class
    * Smooth ride for a small car
    * Factory sunroof is available
    * Very good crash test scores for this class except rear side, based on NHTSA scores for Accent 4-door with standard side airbags/curtains (5/5/4/3)

Accent H/B Cons:

* Fuel economy does not match competitors like Yaris and Fit
    * New design, thus no reliability history (previous Accent design was rated a little above average overall by CR from 2000-2004)
    * Predicted resale value as percentage of MSRP is less than the Yaris'; per ALG, the Accent's is 23% and the Yaris' is 32% (however, note that a comparable Accent costs less than a Yaris, so the dollar depreciation could be very close depending on purchase price)
    * Tall throws on stick shift (short-throw kit is available as dealer-installed option)
    * No side moldings to ward off dings (aftermarket?)
    * No cruise control available as a factory option (aftermarket?)

What did I miss?
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    Summed it up pretty well I think (honestly).

The Yaris is close in price, better predicted reliability, has a nearly 10% better residual (resale) value, and nearly 10% better gas mileage combined. It is hard, but far from impossible, to find one with side airbags. While on the topic of frills, it also has more cupholders and gloveboxes/cubbies.

The Accent is slightly less expensive comparably, has a few more frills (but A/C isn't standard), but has Side/Curtain Airbags standard. It also has 3.5% more horsepower. It is more spacious. In the top of the line model it also offers a sport suspension. After driving both, I'd say it is indeed a bit quieter at speed than the Yaris as well.

Comparing resale of the ECHO to the Accent you can also clearly see the disparity in favor if the ECHO, despite the Accent being sold for "less".

A quick look at www.autotrader.com can illustrate the flaw in believing a "good" deal will offset residual differences.

It didn't, at least in the case of the Accent vs. the ECHO.

T
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    Fantastic post, better that many I have seen in car publications. Everything anyone would need to make to make the decision on which of these two cars would best suit their respective needs.
    Agreed :)

With a little clarification, but generally spot on!

T
    I'm not sure how you are predicting reliability for the Accent hatch, since it's a brand-new design. Not even Consumer Reports has taken a shot at predicting reliability for it yet. Maybe they realize that because it's a new design, and the reliability of Hyundais has improved with each new generation, they should wait until they have some data to make a prediction.

How many Yaris hatchbacks have you seen at your dealership with a stick, ABS, and side bags/curtains?

I think you are right about the Yaris having more gloveboxes--doesn't it have one in front of the driver too? As for cupholders, the GS has two and the SE has four. How many does the Yaris hatch have? (The Accent sedan has eight, which is kind of overkill since it can only seat five!)

A/C is standard on the Accent SE, and optional on the GS. I have read posts in Town Hall from people looking for really basic cars w/o air, so maybe the fact that the GS can be had w/o air is appealing to some. I just wonder how many GS models will actually be shipped w/o air.

The resale equation is interesting. Let me give an example to show what I mean per my earlier post. Let's say someone could buy either an Accent SE or Yaris. MSRP with destination on the SE is $14,495, invoice is $13,591, Edmunds' TMV in my area is $14,040. A comparably equipped Yaris (as close as they can be anyway) lists for $14,950 including the mandatory (in my area) Cold Weather Package. That is also the Edmunds TMV price.

Now let's make a reasonable assumption that there will be a rebate on the 2007 Accents in the near future. There has been a $1000 rebate on the 2006 Accent for some time, and as you have pointed out every 2006 Hyundai model has some sort of rebate. So I don't think it's a big leap to think there will be one on the 2007 Accents once the supply of 2006s is gone.

So the purchase prices for sake of this example are $13,040 (TMV less rebate) for the Accent and $14,950 for the Yaris (TMV, assuming no rebate). After five years according to ALG's estimates, the Accent will be worth 23% of its MSRP and the Yaris will be worth 32%. That's $3334 for the Accent and $4784 for the Yaris. But the Accent actually cost $13,040. So over five years, the Accent buyer lost $9696 in depreciation, and the Yaris buyer lost $10,166. Please check my math on this example, but it looks like the Yaris buyer lost more money in five years than the Accent buyer did.

So that's an example, and I think a realistic one, as to how a "good deal" can offset residual differences.
    Alrighty, here we go again lol...

PREDICTED reliability is based upon manufacturer's history with cars in this segment. If you compare the most recent models (the Accent and the ECHO), the ECHO has a decisive reliability advantage, so saying "predicted" reliability isn't that much of a stretch at all now is it? And FYI, the "old" generation cars are how companies like ALG come up with things like residuals on "new" models too, so using the "old" cars as guides isn't so crazy.

And while we're on the subject of predicting things, lets look at an old generation Accent compared to an ECHO (the old generation Yaris) in terms of resale value. Go out to www.autotrader.com . You don't even need to do anything but subtraction to see how much more a 5 year old ECHO is worth compared to a 5 year old Accent...

Even if we go with your example, the less than $500 difference will be made up almost in gas alone (even at 10k per, over five years... and even going so far as to figure it stays at an average over the next 5 years of $3.00 per gallon).

So is an Accent really less expensive to own??? Doesn't look like it.

The Yaris hatch has SEVEN drink holders btw... Overkill or not, I use one for a change cup, and one for my Cell phone cradle (the cup holder style) even when I have no drinks at all to carry. It's quite convenient. So much so, I'm thinking of making that feature a "blocker" ;) .

T

PS: In terms of power to weight ratio, the "best" in class horsepower Accent offers an advantage of .0002 hp per lb (106/2293 vs. 110/2366). Feel the burn! :P
    I accept that you define predicted reliability as you stated. I think that it's more reasonable though to measure predicted reliability based on the actual car. So if a car is totally redesigned, as the Accent and Yaris hatches were for 2007, I think that has to be taken into account. Which is what CR does when it reports on predicted reliability for cars. Note that in their 2006 Annual Auto issue, they state for their predicted reliability for the Accent and Yaris simply "New".

The problem with using the reliability of old designs as a predictor of reliability of new designs is that is doesn't take into account the quality improvements--or slides in quality for that matter--in the new designs. Hyundai is trending up. Toyota has been strong for many years in reliability, but recently their executives and the press have voiced concerns over an increasing number of quality problems in Toyota's new models. Will the Accent continue Hyundai's upward trend in reliability? Will the Yaris continue Toyota's tradition for reliability? I think it's too early to say for sure. If I had to go only on the reliability of the old models, the Accent's record per CR and other sources is acceptable to me. I know that may not be the case with everyone.

You are correct that the $500 difference in my example would be made up in gas savings, assuming 10k miles a year or more over five years and $3.00 a gallon gas. If someone drives less than that, as I do, the amount is not made up--although gas prices could go above $3.00. But I have to consider that over those five years, I would be driving a car in the Accent SE that has a lot more of what I look for in a car. It would be worth it to me to pay more than for the Yaris. I realize many will disagree with me on that. For example, if having seven cup holders is a "blocker" requirement for you, then that drops the Accent hatch out of any consideration whatsoever. ;)
    Actually, believe it or not, I pretty much agree 100%.

T
  • I couldn't resist commenting... I test drove an automatic yaris liftback in August in NH and fell in love immediately. I'm waiting for a stick shift with power package and praying I get it. I know it was years ago but a friend bought a Hyundai and it was a piece of crap.. I just couldn't consider one, I'll stick with Toyota's or Honda's.. both have been great buys in the past and sooooo reliable!
    Exactly why "predicted" reliability is so important... everything from perception to residuals are based on what people remember about old ones, not how nice the new ones "might" be.

Once bitten, twice shy :)

The Yaris OTOH, is the follow-up to a car that CR gave almost ENTIRELY full red (the best) circles accross the board.

And I swear, if someone brings up the Toyopet... lol... Anyone find me a COLOR photo of one yet? :P Or know any of the 3 people who owned one and are still alive??? j/k

T
    The first Toyota I owned, a Corolla, had three powertrain problems (two of which I had to pay for) and one electrical system problem (also which I had to pay for) in its first 3 years. Plus the trunk leaked during hard rains, or going through an automatic car wash. Guess I would never want to buy another Toyota! Oh wait... I did buy two others. They were very reliable. Also much more refined than my first Corolla. They were very good cars (another Corolla, and a Celica). I'm glad I gave Toyota a second chance.
  • The big thing missed for ME is the "true cost od ownership". Check the price of a 60K service on both...
    Well, don't keep us in suspense--what are the 60k service costs for both cars?
    "Guess I would never want to buy another Toyota!"

And if your problems were in fact in line with the majority of owners, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you didn't.

But we aren't talking about isolated cases here... we are talking about broad spectrums of ownership. Of which, overwhelmingly, have indicated Toyota to be a superior brand with regards to reliability.

If things are indeed changing, there isn't enough data to draw any real conclusions to that effect... YET. There may be, in a while, but for now I doubt anyone but a Hyundai owner would care to take up the argument that a Hyundai is as reliable as a Toyota.

Historically it isn't true, perception-wise it isn't true, and until data conclusively proves so IN THE FUTURE, there isn't much to say for the present either.

By all accounts, the Yaris is PREDICTED to be a more reliable car. I think history more than supports that opinion...

T
    But we aren't talking about isolated cases here...

Odd... you didn't say that a few posts back when someone mentioned a friend had trouble with a Hyundai years ago.

As for a Hyundai is as reliable as a Toyota: that has been my experience in owning three Toyotas and two Hyundais. Actually, considering my first Toyota, my Hyundais have been more reliable than Toyota overall. Don't you think people consider their personal experiences with a brand in deciding whether to buy that brand again? I think it's a pretty major consideration.

If things are indeed changing, there isn't enough data to draw any real conclusions to that effect... YET.

There is plenty of data to draw conclusions about the reliability of Hyundais improving over the past few years. All you need to do is check out the past few years' of CR's reliability surveys, or JD Power's annual reports on reliability to see the upward trend. Go take a look at the 2006 CR Annual Auto Issue. Hyundais used to be a joke because of their reliability. Take a look at how many brands have overall predicted reliability records better than Hyundai in that CR issue. Not too many.

Yes, Toyota is one of them. (Although the Yaris is too new to have a reliability record, at least according to the accounts of CR.) That point is not in dispute, although you keep bringing it up as if it were. If someone wants superior--not just acceptable, but superior--predicted reliability in a car above everything else, the Yaris (or maybe the Fit) is the logical choice. If other considerations are as important or more important, then it's not a slam-dunk for the Yaris.
    Hey now, let's not play the misquote game again... I never said HYUNDAI wasn't improving, now did I??? And I wasn't the one who said my friend had problems... Although I know a few that have (with Hyundais).

What I did say was that there was NO evidence that they have become as reliable as Toyota, so claiming that they've come a long way is still afar cry from being EVEN. They may be getting CLOSER, but they aren't there yet, and that is black and white.

Look, I get that you are very proud of your Hyundai, and truly, that's cool. Nothing wrong with going off of personal experiences either. It's obvious that by your own habits (driving less than 10k a year), the Hyundai may be a good choice for you. Most people will experience more problems than you simply because MOST people drive thousands more miles per year than you do. That would be true no matter what you drove.

The Yaris is a better choice with regards to gas-mileage, residual, and predicted reliability.

T
This discussion has been closed.