Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Vibration

Comments

• flattop60,

I feel your pain! I have the same problem on my '07 GC with a Hemi. I am in the process of filing a lemon law case in CT where I live. If you want to talk, e-mail alankm@snet.net. They replaced my rear driveshaft which like you, seemed to help a lot. Now, I have a front driveshaft coming ( they are on national back order I wonder why)which by reading your post, doesn't sound like it is going to solve the problem. The car has 2500 miles on it and for a 43K automobile, this is what I have to show for my money. Oh, I also have a clunk sound every time I turn the steering wheel that you can hear from the center of the dash. Three visits to the dealer for the same problem. really speaks poorly about Chrysler. If you can't manufacture a car that doesn't vibrate at speeds over 55, than you have no business making cars period!

Alan
  • We picked up the vehicle last night, it still vibrates!

I called the Area Service Rep this morning, told him that it still vibrates and I needed to know what to do next. He said "I don't know". I ask him to buy back the vehicle, he flat said no, that the problem was not in the vehicle but in the tires. He purchased the tires for me out of the "goodness of his heart". He felt the original tires were never rotated which was part of the issue. I normally rotate every 7500 miles but feel that as much as that vehicle has been in the dealers shop that if the tires needed rotated to fix the problem then they should have seen this and rotated them.

I ask him about the Lemon Law, he said that I would need to do that through the state that it is titled in, which is Florida. I mentioned I have that paperwork filled out for Florida and waiting on him to make a decision about a fix or a buy back.

He is trying to get a Chrysler Engineer to drive the vehicle. The problem is that I finish my work here on Friday, 10/26, will remain a few days in the area and then migrate to Florida trailering the Jeep. I told him that I would meet the Engineer anywhere within 100 miles of here, just name the place and I would be there. I also told him I would meet him next week as he makes his rounds in another part of the state so he could drive it again.

I am really trying to be patient but I am at the end of my patient fuse.
  • rkoz1rkoz1 Posts: 14
    I've got a 07 with the 4.7 and am having the same problems. Already replaced two tires and have all four rebalanced but the problem has not gone away. I am due for my first oil change in two weeks and will once again attempt to have the dealer fix the problem. I am also having torque converter lock-up issues around 38-45 mph. I was told by an Engineer at Chrysler that a computer software fix is in the works
  • Has anyone had the rear transfer case replaced?
  • I met with the Chrysler Engineer on 10/16. After test driving the vehicle and me giving him a report of what has transpired thus far, he agreed there was definitely a vibration and wanted to order parts to rebuild the front differential. This is after he spent most of the day with a mechanic and a vibration analyzer to track the vibration to the front end of the vehicle.

Chrysler ordered the parts, we delivered the vehicle on 10/23 for the rebuild of the front differential. On Friday, 10/26 we received a call that the vehicle was "ready". We drive the 100 miles to the dealer (Chrysler ask us to use another dealership for the rebuild) on Sat 10/27 to test drive the vehicle. Some better but still vibrated. We refused delivery of the vehicle and kept the loaner.

On Monday we were ask to meet with the 3rd Chrysler Engineer so he could drive the 07 Jeep. He quickly felt the vibration.

On returning to the dealership we reached an agreement that Chrysler would buy back the vehicle but with restrictions.

1. They would give us sticker for our 07.
    2. We had to purchase any other Chrysler product at sticker or more. Basically
    traded for sticker prices.

The other option for us was to accept another repair attempt that would get the vehicle to about 90% satisfaction (They were going to replace the transfer case), then they were going to give us a warranty for as long as we owned the vehicle that would in essence make repairs to the vehicle at no cost to us for any and all problems.

I really wish they had not restricted us to Chrysler but I understand their reasoning.

We elected to look around and choose another Jeep. This we did and test drove two that we liked. One we preferred over the other and drove it approximately 50 miles. Except for the Goodyear Fortera HL tires, we liked it and it did not vibrate. So, to end this saga in our lives, we are to pick up the vehicle later this week most likely 11/17/07.

Hopefully this purchase/trade agreement will be the end of our mysery of the vibration issues. Most likely someone else will end up with the 07, my only hope is that they get it cheap enough to live with the vibration.

By the way, our new 08 is going to be a 5.7 Hemi with all the bells and whistles.
  • Congrads Flattop60,

I commend your persistence. I am curious, they replaced both of my driveshafts (front and rear) which seemed to cure about 95% of the vibration. It is so subtle now that I don't think I could even get someone to feel it or notice it anymore. Only i know that there is a querk. Are you saying that after the repairs you had made the vibration was clearly noticable and obvious enough that anyone could feel it? Let me know i am really curious. Perhaps you could guage it on a scale of 1-10 before and after the repairs etc. Please reply.

Thanks and good luck!

Alan
  • The 3rd engineer who drove our Jeep stated that the previous engineers who drove it rated the vibration at a 5 after both drive shafts were replaced. 1 being bad and 10 being perfect. After the rebuild of the front differential, this engineer rated the vibration as an 8. He said the best it could be repaired would be a 9, never to attain the 10. So, yes, anyone can feel it, in the floorboards, steering wheel, etc.

If you could get one of the regional service reps to use the vibration monitor that was used on ours, its possible that yours could be made a 10. Ours was always noticable beginning at about 58 mph and on up. They kept zeroing in on the problem but never quite got there. I'm glad its not ours any longer.

However, we are still awaiting the paperwork to be completed before we can pick up our new one. Hopefully this week. I'm sure with the holidays and vacations it will take a little longer.

Good luck with your Jeep.
  • Hi Flattop60,

Thanks for sharing your situation and communication. Glad to here that they are working with you at Chrysler! My GC had the same problem but once they changed both driveshafts the vibration was reduced to a very slight shudder throught the driveline at 70 with no vibration anymore. The slight shudder is so nominal that unless you were to drive the car daily, I don't know that anyone would pick it up which is why I have been reluctant to continue with the push. Never the less, it is annoying as I know something is still there but it's too small to make a stink with at this point. I had all my ducks lined up and ready to file a lemon law complaint before the fix. They wouldn't give me a loaner and made me drive around with the vibration until the front driveshaft came off of back order.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Alan
  • We got our new 08 GC Limited on Tues, Dec 4th. Other than the 2 weeks or so waiting for the paperwork to be completed it was a no hassle deal. We paid the difference between the two stickers, plus tax and title and we were down the road all less than one hours time.

I appreciate the dealership in Columbus, Ohio that completed the deal and don't have any good feelings at all regarding the dealership in Ripley, WV. where we purchased the 07. They are without a doubt a dealership out to get your money and not wanting to service the vehicles they sell. In my opinion they are part swappers not mechanics!

The new 08 drives so much better than the 07 its unbelievable. My wife and I are of the opinion that the 07 was wrecked and then repaired without disclosing it to us.

Hats off to Chrysler for making this exchange happen.

As we were pulling out of the dealers lot in Columbus with our new 08, stickers were being placed in the side windows of the 07 stating "This vehicle is property of Daimler-Chrysler, not to be driven without permission and to be sold at auction". I pity the poor soul that gets hold of this lemony cream puff!!!

I don't understand it belonging to Daimler-Chrysler since Daimler split a few months back. I assume it to be so since it was manufactured prior to the sale off.
  • afranafran Posts: 7
    I have a 08 jeep GC which has a vibration at 45 mph and at 65mph. The dealer thinks it's the torque converter and has taken data for Chrysler Engineering who can't believe that the converter used on this 08 model can be the problem.

I think it is the drive train and don't expect that they will ever fix it! I think I bought a lemon and I will have to dump it next year and buy a car from a manufacturer that cares about customer satisfation and is not on the brink of bankrupsy as is Chrysler.
    I can understand what you are going through. My 07 has had three tires replaced and all of them re-balanced. I still have driveline vibration above 70mph. I made an appointment for the 26th for them to once again look into the problem
  • I have posted my problem here a few times before. I have the same vibration at exactly 70mph. Chrysler knows about the problem. They changed both my rear drivesahft which helped a lot, and front which helped even more. With the repair/replacement the vibration went from being intolerable to still slightly noticable at exactly 70 mph. The only way to get it 100% is to file a lemon law with your state as Chrysler's attitude is most people won't bother fighting and pushing the matter and the dealer is useless. I am debating filing a lemon law myself but I am in the midst of a divorce and can only handle one fight at a time.

Alan
    I took mine back in today and once again they told me there was nothing wrong with it and that they all ride this way. I am still not buying it but don't know what to do at this point
    After using a monitor on my Jeep and monitoring the transmission parameters when the vibration was present at 45 mph, the engineers at Chrysler want the dealer to replace the torque convertor. Since I'm leaving for FL for the Winter, I'll have to have the work done there early in January.
    I'll keep you posted.
    I have an appointment this afternoon to drive another vehicle at my dealership to confirm that it also vibrates the same as mine. I am being told that they all do it and that this is the nature of Quadra-trac. Having owned numerous other four-wheel drive vehicles I find this one hard to accept
  • I'm taking my '06 Cherokee, 6 cylinder in tomorrow with the shudder problem. I'm directing them to look at the torque converter as there were service bulletins about reflashing the ECM to improve performance.

How much did it cost for the new torque converter or the new drivelines?

Thanks,
  • I got the report back from the dealer. New Torque Converter and seals, some other transmission stuff. Total bill=$2200
    My 2007 GC Rocky Mountain 4.7 still has vibration after having three tires replaced and all of them road force balanced. I sent a letter to Chrysler Customer Asistance and the outcome was that the vibration I feel is a characteristic of the Quadra-trac II system. That's nice to know on a $34,000.00 vehicle
  • I had the Fotrtera HL tires balanced 3 times at 3 different tire stores on 3 different machines, the last, today 1/9/2008 on a hunter ROAD FORCE IT STILL VIBRATES
    still waiting for Chryrser Engineers to set an appointment to look at the VIBRATING JEEP sticker was 41,500.00 and it rides like [non-permissible content removed] . this will be my one and only JEEP if this problem can't be fixed
  • THE Last goodyear tire store manager said they have had many complaints about JEEPS with Fortera HL tires, that it the only tires JEEP puts on their SUV's
    the major Problem is the wheels with the PLASTIC wheel covers.
    Chryser/ JEEP should admit the problem are with the wheels. Stop putting those wheels on the SUV'S. they should try Michelins or yokomahamas. or just recall all the JEEPS and fix them..........................................
    My dealer in NH was directed by Chrysler to change the torque converter on my GC to see if the 45mph vibration could be eliminated. They made the decision after a day of recorded measurements made by the dealer, and sent to Chrysler engineering.
    Unfortunately the dealer wanted to change the converter just as I was leaving for Florida for the Winter. He told me to go to a local dealer and he would replace it.

After getting the run around for the FL dealer I've decided to live with the problem until I get home in the Spring. Then I'm going to trade in this POS for a real car like a Lexus or a BMW. This car has 7K miles on it and had the vibration problem since I got it 3 mos ago.
    Never again will I buy Chrysler(this is my forth!) and I'll make sure that everyone I know hears the story, especially the folks on this forum.

I guess we know why the Japanese are taking us to the cleaners!
    The wheel problem may be true for some but my Rocky Mountain has all aluminum wheels. No plastic cladding. Living in the Detroit area and being in the auto industry gives me the ability to have automotive contacts. I had one Chrysler Engineer drive mine when I fist got it because of the shudder problem I have at 40mph. He told me that they have a known problem and are working on a software fix. Unfortunately it still has not been released. That will only fix one of my concerns, it will do nothing for the 70mph vibration. I also mentioned to my service manager that if they can not fix the problem that I will most likely get rid of mine next year.
  • The only way to get rid of the vibration is get rid of the vehicle, and don't get another Chrysler product. Read back in this chain, that's the main theme. It's not the tires.
  • Software:

There was a TBS for a ECM Flash to improve Torque converter operations. Does anyone know what this actually does:
    Bulletin Number: 2101105
    NAG1 (W5A580) TRANSMISSION - SHUDDER WHEN TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH ENGAGES. *TT

Bulletin Number: 06002
    FLASH TCM AND ECM TO IMPROVE TORQUE CONVERTER OPERATION. *TT
    I guess that Jeep has had a problem with this for some time. My dealer has said that he has replaced TC in the past for this problem. It describes the problem I'm having with my 2008GC exactly! Maybe Chrysler will own up to the problem and come out with a real fix.
    I don't think I'll keep mine that long...Its gone in the Spring!
  • I just spent $3000 to get it fixed, low and behold, replacing the torque converter did not fix the problem.
  • I'm in my 5th month of a 27 month lease. Can't wait to get out of this lease. I got a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi and Quadra-Drive II, $39.960. Right now I have about 7500 miles. All I can say, Chrysler does not know how to build a car. I haven't had this many problems with a car. Over the last five years I have driven an Envoy and a Yukon Denali, and so far the Jeep has been to service more than both of those cars combined, and all in 5 months. It's sad, because this can be a really good car. Some things I like about my Jeep, is the handling and the brakes, the Hemi engine, and the features like Remote Start and RainSense wipers. The rest of the car is trash. It has a throttle delay, and just today I felt the vibration. I was going about 70-75, on cruise control. It wasn't that bad, it felt like the strips at the side of the road that warn you when you are at the edge of the road, but it was annoying, especially at 7500 miles. God Bless Chrysler, because if they are expecting to be profitable like they have been talking about, they have to get rid of these problems. I have a Commander U pkg also and that has a much smoother ride than the Grand Cherokee. The only problem with the Commander is the windshield that cracks every winter. The only things that really make me want to keep the Grand Cherokee is the power and handling, and the dirt cheap price I got.
  • I also forgot to mention the clicking sound I got, when I drove over a small bump in the road. If I remember correctly that happened at around 1000 miles. Sounded like a parking cone was stuck under it.
  • Hi all, I took my GC '06 in with the "rumble strip" problem. They replaced the TC and some various transmission seals, etc. It cost $3000.

I'm am trying to put together a case that Jeep knows of the problem and has no fix for it, so the Jeep delaership (who performed the repairs) really did not have to replace the TC.

My point is that Jeep knows the problem, it's a fairly common problem and I honestly want my money back because the problem is still there. I want to go to the owner of the dealership provide him of the evidence that this is a common problem with no known fix and ask for my money back.

Can anyone point to a resource or someone to talk to get more cases of where Jeep has acknowledged the problem and has said in public that they have no fix for it?

Several people on the board mentioned some engineers they have spoken with, is there anything out there in the public about Jeep talking about this issue?

I did find this link that might be of interest with a few suggestions of a fix. You need to read further down:

http://www.nitroforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-501.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks