Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Gear Snap Ring Issue: TMSUSA Responds

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
edited March 21 in Toyota
Talk about 2007 Camry transmission issues here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• faldocfaldoc Posts: 83
    Update: I have 1600+ miles on this car now and no tranny problems yet.... no rattles, squeaks, drips, leaks, malfunctions.... oh wait, maybe 1: left rear seat does not return completely to upright position after reclining it, it gets to within 1 click of upright, then you have to pull it forward to lock it at highest position. No big deal: people will probably never use it.

I have stopped babying the car and it really takes off: smooth, powerful, nearly imperceptible shifts... I give up a couple mpg for the lead foot, though.

One additional note: I saw a Japan assembled Camry and it had the same 75% US parts count as the US assembled cars. In other words, they ship the same US parts we have here to Japan for them to assemble.
    I spoke too soon. My beautiful 2007 Camry XLE has got a big problem. I read about a transmission problem in toyotanation and I hoped to avoid it but the problem has afflicted mine just shy of 2000 miles.

Today (4/24/2006, 16 days after buying the car) it started lurching badly when accelerating moderately from a stop at about 20 mph: the revs go all over the place and it revs up to 5000 or more. The transmission shifts hopelessly up and down, slipping and sliding back and forth from gear to gear. It has a bad smell after this.

This is a big problem and it is unsafe to drive. I called Rice Toyota and they had me call their wrecker to haul it to the dealership. I was gambling that Toyota would have the bugs worked out but clearly this is a big problem. I lost.

People always say wait till the car has been out a year before buying it. This is a good illustration of why. If other posts are any indication, my car could be at the shop for 2 weeks or longer.

Goodbye, Camry! See ya next month!
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Sory to hear the bad news. Hopefully you get your car back sooner. Please keep us posted. What is the deal with the toyotanation comment? Did that person have a 4 or a 6 cylinder engine and did it really take that long to resolve the problem?

Again beest of luck.
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    faldoc – sorry to hear it happened to you too. I have read the transmission problem in toyotanation forums, but this is my first time to read it here. It looks like the problem is real.

Someone said that Toyota stop shipping the V6 auto for awhile, but has started to do again. Maybe the problem is fix... but still scary.

I am expecting my dealer to get the SE V6 anytime this week and is asking me to give a deposit so it will be mine (based on our agreed price of course). Now I am getting scared if I should go through buying the car now or maybe just wait for a few months.

Maybe the others can share their experiences on the v6 automatic trans? I heard it is affecting only the V6 auto (but again this is just based on what I read at the other forum).

Good luck, I hope they fix it well.

FiloD
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Faldoc, I found the site and got the answers to my questions. It looks like there are 6 separate complaints involving the trannys on V-6 XLEs and LEs. I also saw your other postings/pictures. Again, sorry about your situation, but please keep us informed.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "People always say wait till the car has been out a year before buying it. This is a good illustration of why. If other posts are any indication, my car could be at the shop for 2 weeks or longer."

This is truly sound advice. Our 05 Legacy required an entire engine transplant at 7000 miles after multiple defects were discovered with the block due to improper manufacturing, leading the car to literally break down on US130 in So. Central NJ. Car was out of commission for two weeks.

I'm surprised at the issue with the Camry transmission; this unit is already mated to the V6 in the Lexus IS. What I'd like to know is how many complaints are actual failures, such as yours, faldoc, and how many simply represent dissatisfaction with performance?

~alpha
    In my case I love the performance of the engine. The transmission is at issue: with the lurching, over-revving, erratic shift problem. The tach was literally swinging up and down wildly, the car bucking. Very un-nerving. I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from? '

Cooked tranny fluid?
  • bigd58bigd58 Posts: 39
    If the tranny has already been used in the Lexus, and the V6 was used months earlier with the '06 Avalon, you'd think the bugs would have been diagnosed by now.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I do not think the V6 is an issue...

~alpha
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    It sucks to be you man. Was your XLE built in Kentucky or in Japan? Maybe you just got a Lemon.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Problem seems to be Kentucky only so far.

Six cars reported on another forum as of today.
  • Are cars with this problem all V6's?
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Yes, just the 6 speed Automatics.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    as noted by spencer327, this is a design issue that has existed in many Toyota/Lexus products for quite awhile - and certainly has nothing to do with specifically where the car is made.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I'll wait before I buy. If this is a design flaw that has existed for quite awhile, wouldn't every Toyota/Lexus have the problem? Take it a step further. Wouldn't sales of all related vehicles suffer? The opposite seems to be happening. Are owners not noticing the problem? It's quite confusing.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    "'I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from?'

Cooked tranny fluid?"

I love the smell of burned clutch facings sauteed in cooked tranny fluid in the morning. It smells like ... disaster. Pure speculation on my part, but, since Toyota has a new ATF - "T-V", I'm wondering if the previous "T-IV" fluid was inadvertently installed in some of these 6-sp trannies at the factory. The good news, these failures happened early on and definitely during the warranty - no way Toyota can duck out (not that they were trying to).

On a side note, for those, like me, who enjoy getting down and dirty with their cars' maintenance, but additionally feel that limited distribution specialty motor oils and certain transmission fluids which claim compatibiity with automaker fluids are a cool way to surpass automaker performance specifications, think twice before assumptively substituting. I don't doubt that any product can be improved on. I'm just not sure that a product that claims to be an improvement always delivers on its claim.

(Another rock-solid test of "performance" is, in the event of a problem, "Who loves ya', Baby?" ;))
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    Same here, I am holding off for awhile. I just emailed my sales rep not to consider me with the units that are coming in this week.

I told him though that I will be calling him again in a few months...and even buying then will not be difficult as today because of limited inventories.

Hopefully in a few months, Toyota should have solved the transmission problem (I really like the SE V6 with navi)
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I'm not convinced the "problem" is widespread. I would need more evidence than a couple or a few postings here or elsewhere. Have some experienced a problem? yes. Are the majority of owners with this transmission experiencing a problem? I'm not so sure. To date, I've not read or seen any proof (of a widespread problem). In most cases happy owners don't post. Individuals that experience problems are the ones that post (usually more than once and on different boards). 400,000 Camrys are sold yearly. Most don't post anywhere. I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open. However, it would take more than what I've read here so far to discourage me from purchasing at this time.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    think the real question with many owners - is it even perceived to be a problem - myself included. And yes there have literally been thousands of posts on the subject on the Avalon sites. I would suggest to you also that just taking the time to participate in these forums likely certifies us as legit car nuts and therefore more picky about our cars than the other millions of Camry/Avalon owners. As a result the usual post is more likely negative than positive. Some folks, like spencer327, learn to live with it and still find it bothersome - and others may not even understand what some of us are even talking about. But, one thing for sure, Toyota does build a helluva car!
This discussion has been closed.