Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Trailer and Towing Questions

kdeakdea Posts: 3
Has anybody out there hooked up an electric brake controller to their 2005 taco, according to the owner manual the truck is prewired, but my dealer isn't able to confirm or deny this? If the truck is wired i don't want run more wires!

Comments

• gandalf1gandalf1 Posts: 62
    My 2006 Tacoma has the tow package and came with a plug-in connector on one end, and some wires on the other end. This connector was found in the glove box in a plastic bag. Maybe they only come with Taco's equipped with the tow package, but perhaps non-tow package Tacoma's still have the under-dash plug in, so you would just need to buy the connector that came 'free' with mine.

Anyway, my understanding is you just plug in the connector under the dash, and then connect the loose wires on the other end to the brake controller.

Has anyone out there hooked up a brake controller and is it a big deal (it doesn't seem like it)?

Thanks!
  • Just purchased a 2006 4x4 4cyl tacoma. On occassion I plan to take an atv with me. Atv whighs 650 lbs. My question is, Am I better just carrying the atv in the bed of the truck or trailering it with a light trailer 200 lbs. What would be less wear and tear on the truck carrying or towing. May be useing it on a long trip or two. dd
  • Just purchased a 2006 toyota tacoma 4x4 4 cyl. Will be takeing an atv (650lbs) with me on occassion. Would I be better off carrying the atv in the pickup bed or trailering it with a light trailer (200lbs)? Which would create less wear and tear on the vehicle, towing or carrying?
    dd
  • I have a 2004 toyota tacoma prerunner 4x2 4 cyl. My question is if anybody could help me out here it would great. I need to hook up a trailer but i see no standard hook ups for the taillights on the trailer. Is this not a standard thing that comes with an 04 truck? Do i have to buy something for the light hookups and if so how much? If anybody could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. :shades:
  • My son bought his wiring kit at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks.
  • I have a 06 Double Cab TRD Sport long bed with the tow package. I installed Prodigy brake controller with the cable that was in the glove compartment. Slicker than snot to put in (easy to wire)and works great. I also purchased a Equalizer weight distribution hitch to help pull my camper. That works great also.
  • That Truck is a Beast I have a 99 version of your truck and I have carried up to 2500 lbs in the bed. that truck can handle what ever you can fit in it, and barely break a sweat
  • but seriously if it fits in the bed a trailer is a waste of time. Dont worry about wear an tear on your new toyota from using it with in the manufactureers guidelines, you interior will be the first thing to go, then the paint job, but that is only after 300,000 miles or so. And the 2.7L (I am assuming that is the 4 cylinder you have) is the cummins 5.9 of gas engines. Happy hauling!!
  • I'm interested in getting a truck and will be pulling a 3000 lb aluminum fishing boat in the summer. I'm looking at the 2007 Tacoma Pre-runner TRD with "Limited Slip" and "Locking differential". Note that is a 2WD truck. I'm mechanically ignorant and need opinion on whether this is enough to pull a boat in and out of fresh water. I understand that 4WD is better but won't be utilizing the option very much. Thus I don't want to spend the extra $$ for the option. Also I've heard that by adding the 4WD, it's just another thing that can go wrong. I want something that will last 200k+. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • I use to have a 1995 toyota Pickup 4x4. I put over 100,000 miles on it and never had a single issue with the transfer case. yes... it is another thing to go wrong and can be expensive to repair. However, if you are not using it that much, It will probably last a VERY long time. My only concern about a Tacoma 2wd would be wheel slip because the back end is so light.. you would probably need to add some weight in the bed.

Currently have an F250 but "trying" to sell to get a toyota truck again.
  • gillumgillum Posts: 5
    What's the tongue weight with a 3000lb boat? I'd say the back end wouldn't be all that light and a 2WD would do fine.
  • cawwiecawwie Posts: 15
    I just bought an '07 Tacoma Pre Runner V6 4.0 access cab with tow package (extra $650). It's a class 4 hitch, and will tow 6,500lbs. It comes with supplemental oil coolers and transmission coolers...sufficient alternator and battery. Have fun!!!
  • ltmarltmar Posts: 45
    I pull a 3-seat PWC with my '06 4WD TRD Tacoma. There were three occasions last year where I had to use 4 Low to pull the boat out of the lake. After a heavy storm, silt ran down the ramp and settled just below the water surface; boat trailers were sinking in the silt as the boats were winched on. Early in the season, the water was so high over a ramp that a very steep approach road became the ramp. In both cases 2WD trucks needed assistance in pulling out. I was able to switch to 4 Low and drive away. I was also able to use a gravel ramp one time that I am not sure I would have tried with a 2WD.
  • Cawwie,

I'm sure the truck can pull the weight just fine. I'm mainly interested in how effective the "limited slip" and "locking differential" is on a surface with little traction.
  • mewmmwmewmmw Posts: 4
    Any advice on purchasing these type options? Not very mechanically inclined but have seen these options recommended by Consumer Reports. May occasionally pull a pop-up camper or possibly a fishing boat sometime in the future.
    Thanks in advance!
  • chiznadchiznad Posts: 2
    I didn't think it was possible to have both Limited-Slip and a Locking Differential. The Sport Package has LSD and the Off-Road package has the Locker. I've been trying to decided which package to buy. It sounds like LSD would be handy in the snow since it's automatic, whereas I'd rarely get into a rough enough situation that would require the locker (but who likes to get stuck?).

Another point of interest, I'm not sure if towing would be advised when you have the Locker turned on???
  • Maybe I misunderstood. I was looking at the Tacoma TRD Sport. The ads that I've seen always mentioned the two items together.

Anyhow after test driving the 07 Tacoma TRD and 07 Frontier. I've decided to go with a 07 crew cab 4x4 frontier. I'd rather have the 4x4 option and not use it, then need it and don't have it. The other discussion regarding the Tacoma road noise and visibility problem was very noticeable for me during my test drive this past weekend. The Frontier had more torque and was very noticeable during the test drive. Another unexpected experience that I felt from driving the Tacoma was the rear wheel slipping as I was pulling away from the lot. Did anyone experience this? I don't know if it was because the TRD Pre-runner that I drove was light in the back or what?

Thanks for all your inputs.
  • ltmarltmar Posts: 45
    I don't think the rear wheel was slipping. I have a TRD Sport with the limited-slip. After coming from a truck with an open diff, when I first got the Tacoma, I could hear a tire scrubbing a little bit when making tight turns on dry pavement. I believe this is the limited-slip doing its' job. It is forcing both tires forward.