Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Maintenance

Comments

• fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    Happens in my car. happens in my mom's 2003 prius too. when the pressure on one ear is almost the same as the negative pressure on the other ear, your brain gets uncomfortable.

It's like turning up your home stereo pretty loud, then switching the + and - terminals on one of the speakers.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    It does hurt your ears! My daughter rolled down her window in the back seat the other day and my wife had to cover her ears until we could either get my window open or close the rear one.

The Interior is a pretty big space. And just like a larger bottle will produce a lower tone, the frequency of the vibration is pretty low. You feel it more than hear it! :surprise:

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• It's aerodynamics. The moon roof on my 2000 Civic had a little silver wing that would pop up into the airflow when you opened it. The wing prevented a similar experience.

I'd tell all of you curious ones to try it, but it may blow out your ears or make the windows explode.
  • I bought my Sport MT in March, and have about 4400 miles on it. My work commute is 12 miles each way on the Interstate, where I travel at about 65 to 75 mph. I notice that when I'm in 5th gear the gear shift vibrates when I accelerate. If I take my foot off, it stops, but put my foot back on and it starts - it makes a really annoying buzzing sound that I normally don't notice if I've got music turned on loud enough to mask it. But if I'm driving in relative quiet, there it is, totally annoying. I can see the shift actually move as I take my foot on and off the accelerator.

Anyone else experience this problem? It seems noticeable only in 5th gear.
  • I've put about 4,500 miles on my Fit so far & the oil life indicator is still at 60% (I do mostly highway driving)--do I really wait until the oil life reads 10-15%? 10,000 miles between oil changes seems like a lot! Don't want to screw up my new car... Thanks!
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Yes...wait. My first oil change was at about 9000. I read somewhere that the original oil has some special additives, so you don't want to do an early oil change.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Posts: 247
    I have 13,800 on my FIT Sport Auto (which I love) and I am already starting to do some of the 15K maintenance. I just replaced the air filter with a K&N, two days now and it runs better. My question is the Cabin Filter. Has anyone changed theirs? If so, how hard is it to change? Is it in the glove compartment area? Are there one or two filters? The maunal doesn't give any instructions about changing or location. Guess they want the dealer to change. Thanks in advance..
  • wuziqwuziq Posts: 1
    Anyone know of a reliable Honda service shop in the San Diego area? I prefer to stick with a dealership. Thanks!
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    My 2007 Honda Fit Sport 5spd manual already has 48k miles so I decided to go to the dealer today and buy the air filter and cabin filter. I should have bought the parts from an online store to save $20 total as the dealer charged me $26 for the air and $28 for the cabin.

Anyway, the cabin filter is the easiest thing to do. Think lint filter on a dryer. Just unlatch your glove compartment box and inside you'll see the filter housing right smack in the middle with the 2 latches on the side. Just pull out softly and voila, you see the dirty filter.

I actually had a harder time replacing the air filter for the first time since I had to massage the accordian thingy out of the air filter cover.

Tip: Just make sure you replace it back as you see it. Cabin filter "air flow" sign should be facing front.

The 2 filters just took 5 min to replace. Can you believe the dealer was charging me $89 to replace just the air filter?
  • anahita61anahita61 Posts: 110
    I bought my Sport MT in March, and have about 4400 miles on it. My work commute is 12 miles each way on the Interstate, where I travel at about 65 to 75 mph. I notice that when I'm in 5th gear the gear shift vibrates when I accelerate. If I take my foot off, it stops, but put my foot back on and it starts - it makes a really annoying buzzing sound that I normally don't notice if I've got music turned on loud enough to mask it. But if I'm driving in relative quiet, there it is, totally annoying. I can see the shift actually move as I take my foot on and off the accelerator.

Anyone else experience this problem? It seems noticeable only in 5th gear.

I'm still wondering if anyone with a manual transmission is experience gear shift vibration and rattling in fifth gear at highway speeds. I took my Fit into the dealer yesterday to get it checked out (when I made the appointment the guy seemed to think it might be transmission related), but after waiting for two hours (!) they said the wheels were out of balance, they balanced them and rotated, the Tech drove it and all was fine.

I got in, only to see he'd only driven .4 miles (some test drive!) and the gear shift still rattles in fifth at highway speeds. How can you get up to 70 mph in .4 miles in a commercial district with a four lane divided road?

I called the dealer when I got home, told them it's still making the noise, it's not fixed, I knew it wasn't the wheels being out of balance (I would have known if the wheels had been out of balance), I appreciate the free balancing/rotation, but now what do I do? And he says I should go back. Should I bother?

The noise will only be an issue on a long highway road trip, with no music playing. And then, of course, it will drive me insane. Otherwise, it's not an impediment, nor a hazard. What should I do? Does anyone else have this issue?
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    I'm still wondering if anyone with a manual transmission is experience gear shift vibration and rattling in fifth gear at highway speeds.

I drove 260 miles yesterday averaging 70mph in my Sport 5spd manual and I did not experience any vibrating/rattling sound coming from 5th gear.

Have they checked the actual stick shift to see if a piece is loose? Unscrew the shift ball and remove the plastic piece to see what is causing the vibration/rattle.
  • I just brought my 2008 honda fit to dealership for the same problem/noise. They already knew what exactly was wrong. In fact, i was second customer who had same problem with 2008 fit.

One of the bracket near firewall is too close to cooling wiring. It tends to make noise at high speed and/or accel. They moved the bracket little bit and no more noise.

hope this helps...
  • Thanks, kagedude, but it's not the shift itself, it only happens when I press on the accelerator at highway speeds.
  • Hey, thanks, afit2008, this definitely helps! I wonder if I should go back to the same dealership, with this forum post printed out (or just mention it), or try a whole new dealer. I can't believe they sent me away after claiming it was the wheels being out of balance.
  • I belive we all having the same problem, i asked the service deparment about that problem. figured it was becauce we have shape of the car, when u rolled back windown down. the winds blow into ur back trunk and it's becomes like tornado rolls inside from ur back car to the front.
    btw.. I bought a Honda Fit Auto Sport on May 2007, the reason i bought this car is because it said 31/37 mpg on sticker, but it only goes around 20mpg,1/2highway/city. i start calling up the dealer ask them what's wrong. they told it's a brand new car, it need times before it breaks in. they tell me to wait. i waited until 1700 miles, it doesn't seem any better, i finally bought it to honda to check what's wrong. they checked the car they told it has nothing wrong with the car. it just because it's summer, air conditions and stereo can cause it getting less MPG. so i test it with everything off. NO AC, NO TEREO, NO WIPERS, NO LIGHTS, samething. i called the manufactory. they told me i should have wait a little more, they told me after the first oil change it would get better. on 3500miles bought it to oil chance and service. i told the guy that my car getting bad milage. they told me i have to leave for more than a week to check. and they not guaranteed they will find problems. and since they dont think there's a problem, they wont provide the loaner car. i been contacting Honda Dealer, service, even honda main company. they wont see to help anything.. HELP>>>
  • I wanted to thank you on how to change the Cabin filter. Took me less then 5 minutes. The old one was dirty so it needed changing. I now have 15,100 miles on my FIT. I love it more and more each day.. :)
  • It is extremely vague. I called the dealer and they sent me a list of what is needed at the what mileage for free :)
  • I just changed the oil on my wife's fit. Used a full Syn. She noticed that her gas mileage went down significantly. I told her it was a coincidence. I put in low mileage oil. 5w-30. It's a coincidence, right?
  • in reading up a bit, I've found the 30 can lower MPG, but only by 1.5%. additionally the jury seems to be out which viscosity is better for the engine overall.
    Opinions?