Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Maintenance

12345679»

Comments

• 1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON
    (II) position.

2. Press the select/reset knob
    repeatedly until the engine oil life
    is displayed.

3. Press the select/reset knob for
    about 10 seconds. The engine oil
    life and the maintenance item
    code(s) will blink.

4. Press the select/reset knob for
    another 5 seconds. The
    maintenance item code(s) will
    disappear, and the engine oil life
    will reset to ‘‘100.’’
  • I was driving today. All of a sudden, when I was driving close to 20 miles per hour, my car would shake. After it passes 20 mph, the car drives smoothly again. I try driving it again, around 20 mph to see if it was just the wind. It happened again, and I knew that from there on, that the noise was still there. I don't know exactly what happened to the car, but I'm worried and upset now, because my car has problems again.

Does anyone know what happened?
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Hi all, I just came back from the dealership and did the coolant service for my 2007 Honda Fit Sport 5sp man which just hit 101,866 miles. The service was supposed to be at 105k miles but I did it earlier since I noticed from visual inspection the reservoir tank looked empty.

After the service, I checked the reservoir tank again (unscrewed the cap) and it looked below min level. I also opened the radiator cap area and I can not see any visible coolant.

Honda's manual states "The coolant level should be up to
    the base of the filler neck. Add coolant if it is low."

A question for the same gen Fit owners - The radiator cap area is connected to the radiator via a hose. Am I still supposed to fill coolant up to the radiator cap level?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hello,

I noticed last week that my cruise control and the sport feature doen't work on my fit. The lights for CC doesn't turn on at all. When I put the gear to
    S, the sports feature doesn;t show up and it drive like in D mode. Anyone have such problem? The horn and emergency lights work. Thinking it might be a switch problem?
  • I'm sure you've figured it out by now but I thought I'd pipe in... Trico makes the special rear blade for the Honda Fit, its called 'Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade'. You can get them online. The removal and replacement instructions are right on the package. Hope this helps.
  • Honda did a pretty good job trying to get you back to the dealer for wipers...

The Honda Fit’s 14" passenger side and 28” driver side replacement windshield wiper blades are very hard to find in the newer-style beam blades. The 12" rear is also very hard to find because it’s a special rear blade that fits the special rear arm.

After a ton of research, I found an aftermarket set-up that works: 'Trico NeoForm Beam Blades' on the front (yes, they have a 14" & 28”) and 'Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade' for the rear (yes, it fits the special rear arm and looks like the original). All of the above come with step-by-step, illustrated removal and replacement instructions - easy install. Got the whole set-up online.
  • I have a 08 Honda Fit Sport with Dashboard Rattles and Clicks. Local Honda dealer tells me that the dashboard is held on with pins on the windshield side of the dash. The only way that they can fix this is to completely remove the dash and put felt around the pins. They don't advise removing the dash. I guess they expect that people should just put up with this major annoyance. Maybe if we find enough people with the same problem, we can start a class action suit and then we will get some results. As you mentioned the suspension does not absorb bumps very well and this is a contributing factor for this problem. I have only 8500 miles on my Fit and its been doing this since about the 5000 mile mark. I also, had a clutch shudder/chatter problem which was most noticeable when the car was cold. The dealer contacted the Honda Tech Rep and they were told to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing. They did and covered under the original warranty. Clutch shudder/chatter gone for now. Hope it doesn't come back in a few thousand miles. Maybe I should sell it before it happens again. And the dashboard rattles and clicking gets worse. My advice to all having problems with their Fit would be to keep a journal of dates, problems that service tried to fix, and names of the people at service that you dealt with. ANYONE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEM PLEASE CONTACT ME. THANKS
  • My wife and I recently purchased a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. The dashboard started rattling around the 5000 mile mark on the odometer. This is really annoying and I traded in my beloved (yet increasingly troubled) 2006 Scion for this car. We own a 1999 Honda Civic with over 300,000 miles on it and Consumer Reports consistently gives high marks to the Honda Fit so that is why we bought it. I like the Fit but the dashboard rattle is beginning to drive me insane. I've read in various forums online that there are many potential causes of the rattle. Some have been fixed and some haven't. Fortunately, I live near a independent mechanic that only works on Honda automobiles and I will have him take a look at the dashboard rattle next time the car is due for an oil change. My wife and I were very excited about this car but are now a bit disappointed. The cruise control is another issue. When pulling inclines (steep or not steep) the cruise control on the Fit revs up the engine to 4 to 4.5 on the tachometer. Does anybody in the United States make/sell a decent, affordable car anymore? :(
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Noises can really get into your head once you notice them, can't they? And I agree with you that cruise control on non-manual transmission cars drives me crazy. One of the reasons we've had nothing but sticks since 1979!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    When I use cruise on the highway, I keep it in Sport mode and leave it in 5th gear. Yes, it will downshift and rev up on bigger hills, but not as quick as compared to leaving it in Auto mode.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Hi. I'm looking to sell my 2007 Fit Sport to upgrade to the 2010 or 2011 Honda Fit Sport. I'm reading the reviews and seeing a lot of "road noise/tire noise" complaints and the DB/70mph rating is actually a bit higher for the 2009 model compared to the 2007. To the current '09-10 owners, is the road noise/tire noise really that bad/noticeable driving on the highway?
  • firemann1firemann1 Posts: 14
    edited December 2010
    Use Honda coolant. Fill the plastic coolant tank to the upper of the two horizontal lines on the tank. The space above the top line allows the coolant to expand when the engine gets warm. When the engine cools, it will suck some of the coolant out of the tank and into the radiator. After driving the car a couple times (where the engine gets good and warm from driving), and then has a chance to cool to ambient temperature, check / refill the coolant level in the tank to the top line.
  • I have puddles under my two back seats and the area in front of the driver's seat. Did you ever get any word on where the leak came from?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ..can anyone help me ..where is the cabin /dust filter and how do I change it...thank you to anyone with a helping hand...
  • I found the info below (many months ago) from a web page that no longer exists (http://www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispfilter.pl?id=47). I followed the info to locate and remove my daughter's Fit cabin filter, but I decided not to replace it yet since it still looked fine. The web page actually was about a Honda Civic, but it applied well to the Fit.

---

Fitting Instructions

Fitting Stage 1:-
    Open the glove box. Disengage the catches that restrict the opening of the glove box. The glove box should now open completely and hang down on its hinges. Look through glove box aperture and locate the plastic filter housing.

Fitting Stage 2:-
    On the front on the housing (bottom front edge) is a small clip Pull the clip upwards and remove the cover. Pull the (first) right hand filter carrier out, then slide the left hand tray into the open space and pull that out also.

Fitting Stage 3:-
    You may find some flat plastic panels in the base of the carrier. Remove these with a stanley knife just leaving the grid to sit the pollen fitlers on.

Fitting Stage 4:-
    Insert the new filters ensuring that the air flow arrows point upwards (same as mark on carrier). Insert one at a time into the housing. Refit the cover to the housing, and close the glove box ensuring the catches are re-engaged to limit opening.
  • The page below describes the procedure for a Honda CRV cabin filter replacement. This is an even better description for the Fit than my previous posting. See http://www.puravent.co.uk/filters/display_filter.php?id=393&part=M2259 for CRV cabin filter.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Thank you very much for your help..it is really appreciated...
  • artman60artman60 Posts: 2
    Hi, I'd also like to say thank you, for this information. Went to dealer today for oil change/low beam light recall, and they said the cabin filter was dirty and needed to be replaced, wanted $100, figured I could do it cheaper, can buy new Honda filter from Bernardi's for 21.95. Saves $88. Artie
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Other than oil changes, air filters and tire rotations, there really isn't much maintenance required. I'd agree with the other poster to at least change the oil each year.
  • My 2009 FIT is at 31K, and soon will go in for the Last Oil Change before the 36K Honda Warranty expires forever.

Do any readers have any concerns with their FITS that I should point out for inspection before the Original Warranty expires?

Thank you. :blush: