Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• I'm a newbie when it comes to the whole navigation system so pardon me if my questions seem silly...

I understand the LR2 comes with 2 DVDs that have the most recent map info for both US and Canada. I know (according to the dealer) that the Nav System doesn't have a "traffic indication" feature that tells you if there are any traffic issues up ahead, but the included 6 month subscription to SIRIUS has traffic stations. The concept of GPS tracking, I am also aware of.

What I would like to know:
    - Is the GPS Navigation System subscription-based?
    - If it is NOT subscription-based, how does the vehicle know its present location, where to turn, etc.?
    - If it IS, what is the monthly cost?
  • haagdhaagd Posts: 20
    I went with the LR2 with the cold climate and lighting package (passed on the technology package)in the grey color. :)

The standard stereo will meet my needs, my current phone would not work with the blue tooth (thanks for some of the chat above otherwise I would not have known that) and I picked up a portable navigation system at Costco for $300.00 that I can use in any of my vehicles (will provide the needed compass that should be added next year's model).

I am looking forward to my first LR experience.

I hope the 9.8 rating is close to being right and that I am able to get a hitch and roof rack soon.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    GPS is not subscription-based and is available to anyone who purchases appropriate hardware. Many autos now have built-in GPS navigation receivers; there are also many portable units now available.

The GPS unit detects satellites orbiting the Earth and uses precise position and timing signals from the satellites to locate its position and elevation on the earth with amazing precision. This position system is then combined with maps and software that can guide a user while driving.

Regards,
    Tom
  • I'm so jealous! Congratulations! :)

Please don't forget about the rest of us on this forum who are still rather trigger-shy with purchasing the LR2. Keep us updated, and I hope you only have pleasant ones to share.
  • bg54bg54 Posts: 21
    CONSUMER AWARENESS is what I am trying to repeat.NOT jumping into HYPE of a New SUV that Ford/Land Rover will NOT support the Consumer on if and when they are having problems. The best way to support my statement is with all statements that the Current and Past owners are having problems with. If you ENJOY being TOWED on a regular basis with a NEW SUV and ENJOY NOT HAVING the support of the Dealership or ROVER/FORD to help. Then by all means Purchase the SUV, but at least the consumer is NOT being driven by HYPE.
  • B. Gant:

From a previous post, I had mentioned that your comments were "much appreciated". It seemed that you had a bad experience with the Land Rover / Ford company, and were simply trying to warn us from making an uneducated, unresearched purchase.

You have made it crystal clear that you don't believe Land Rover / Ford is a consumer-conscious, reputable company in many, many, many posts! But how many more? I agree that this forum is a free space, and you're more than welcome to post. However, if you look at the title, it is for the new LR2 / Freelander 2. By the sounds of it, your lemon of a vehicle was the previous Freelander? As someone else had suggested, perhaps you should do your ranting on the Freelander Forum. Also, be careful what you write; it may be considered libel by some. And no, I do not work for Ford or any vehicle manufacturer.

You go on this self-important tirade of consumer awareness. I could be wrong, but it appears that the folks in this forum are all adults, who have previously purchased / leased vehicles. It's rather condescending for someone to think that simple "hype" is enough to sway someone to spend $40000.

I liken you to those Bible-thumpers who try to shove their religion down your throat every minute they get. I know what I believe in, obtaining my info through my own research, and neither a car company's glossy photos nor your repetitive posts can make me change my mind.
  • vinnieg1vinnieg1 Posts: 53
    rah! rah! bravo! bravo! Here! Here!
    Now there is a point I think most of us agree with.
  • bg54bg54 Posts: 21
    CONSUMER COMPLAINTS if true are NOT considered Slander.The Freelander/Jaguar/Rover/LR3 are all listed on the Consumer Complaints and in Edmunds, please review if you want to see prior and up to date complaints on the above.Just pull up each and you will read not the "GLORY" as anyone would rather write vs having to express consumer "Buyer Be Ware". I sincerely would hope that at least one SUV will make a good report. Again time will tell !!

B.Gant
  • If you have the Lighting Package (that has the memory seats and mirrors), when you are reversing, the side mirrors automatically tilt towards the curb! How nifty! Hah!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    You can also adjust that.

Put the car in reverse wait till the mirrors dip fully then adjust the mirrors to where you want them to dip next time. Put the car back in park let the mirrors go all the way back up and then put it in reverse again.

The mirrors will save in the new position so that you can only have one mirror dip, usually the passenger side one, or only dip the mirror slightly.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    Oh sweet!!! My Passat has that and I was afraid I'd have to give that up with the LR2. Thanks for the info.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    Thanks Vinnie. Enjoy your LR2 and keep us posted on how great it is.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    Great post - Thanks
  • Thanks goodness the LR2 is with the times and offers the auxiliary jack for an MP3 player! My question is why manufacturers like Lexus (for the RX) and Nissan (for the Murano) still have cassette decks? I just don't understand...
  • I am getting Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Interior, Pixel Metallix Trim, and Technology Package.

Finding out about a couple accessories today too including: Audio Connectivity Module, mudflaps, and the premium carpet mats.

Things to watch out for:

1) Parking Distance Control Volume (have read it is too low to hear and there is a patch the dealer has to fix it. Is this only a Europe problem or should I check it also?)

2) Windshield wipers (have read some are too long and dealer needs to replace again only in Europe).

Is there anything else you reccomend checking at the dealer. All the information I got about problems is from the European forum so if any one has bought the car in North America and found little faults- please let me know!
  • In regards to the previous posts:

1. Enough, bg54. No one cares. Only you do. And no, I do not work for Ford or Land Rover, and I don't like Jaguar either.

2. The navigation system is not subscription based. I wish it paired with Sirius traffic, and updated the traffic situation real time like XM NavTraffic, but it doesn't. There are 2 map DVD's that come with the truck. The DVD player is under the passenger seat, accessible from the back seat. I have been wondering if it will play other DVDs, but I probably won't try.

3. Like I said, Land Rover has really crappy lease rates. It would have been cheaper to buy my LR2, but I like the idea of a lease, so I went with it. I priced out the X3, and BMW nails you for every little option, so a loaded out X3 is actually just over $50,000. I want all the gadgets, so I shyed away from this.

4. The park distance control volume is not too low on my vehicle. It actually turns down the volume on the radio, so you can hear the PDC easily.

5. I wondered what the mirrors were doing the first time I backed up, but I realized what they were. Pretty cool.

6. The rear-view mirror does automatically dim. Sometimes it's not as bright during the day as I like.

7. There is a dealer in California that has an accessory website with pictures of the mud flaps, carpet mats, etc. so you can check them out before you buy. I was considering the flaps also. My dealer says he'll get them for about $63 for each pair.

8. I love the mp3 jack in this vehicle. It's really nice being able to carry around 30GB or more of your music collection. I think the iPod connectivity module will let you use the steering wheel controls to control it.

9. No problems with the windshield wiper lengths that I can tell.
  • The site previously mentioned to order or check out pictures of accessories is:

http://landrover.niello.com/accessories.php?category=104

I like the side steps too, but they sure are pricey. Hope this helps!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    a volume off-set into the radio so that your Ipod comes through at an appropriate volume and so that if you switch back to regular radio your ears don't get blown out.

It is in the manual but I forget exactly where.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly! could use a little primer.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper