Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Have roof rails standard. That is not unusual at all. Even a 95,000 dollar plus Supercharged Range Rover does not have roof rails availabe as either a standard feature or an option from the factory. You have to buy them as an accesory and that has been true since the 1980s.
  • bg54bg54 Posts: 21
    SCARY...HMMM Maybe that is why the Electrical in the LR2 is HAVING PROBLEMS.. ?

Below is a quote from Message 326..

"Pressure is on LR to sell and get volume, b/c Ford may put them on the block as they did with Aston Martin (sold to mideast investors and former UK operations guys). There is too much competition at the price point where they are trying to sell the LR2. That's why they are selling a maxed out car at a few dollars under 40K. To get that price, they had to cut some corners, no homelink, steel spare, no roofrails, no split glass on tailgate, no integrated NAV and other screens. They know that what others are comparing is what they can get off the MSRP and that will cut the deal. Somewhere closer to Invoice rather than MSRP will spawn more sales."

UN-QUOTED
    My question is.."Has it been FORDS Intention to "PUT THEM ON THE BLOCK" for the last 4 years ? Reducing "Quality" of the Rovers, pushing the consumers away to give Ford the "Financial relief" possibly a "Contract" agreement when when they purchased Rover ? It would be interesting to see how the original contract agreement in the "Sale" to Ford was written, to see if there is a "Financial Clause" that allows them after so many years of Financial Hardships with Rover to " Put them on the Block", retiring the Rovers. I would hope someone like BMW would bring back the Rovers, creating a "Whole new Class" of Rovers built with the "Quality and Precission" that BMW puts into each Vehicle. Putting the "EUROPEN QUALITY" built in "EUROPE" BACK... It should NOT compete with the X5 or X3 because they should be in the "True off Road with the "Classic" features of the BMW but "Classic Rover interior with some BMW fluff. I would HOPE BMW would consider purchasing the "Falling Rovers" and give back the "RESPECT" they have earned prior to Fords purchase. Maybe even the "Queen of England herself, would Purchase this Company because they always use "ROVERS", a "ROYAL" tradition..I bet her Majesty would make sure they were Built to her Quality Expectations.

Since 2002,starting with the Freelander,it has been going down Hill.. and in 2006 The only 2 vehicles that were prior Quality SUV'S were at the top of the WORSE SUV'S in 2006, and Freelander came out with only having Problems.

It just looks like maybe it was FORDS PLAN to push the ROVERS out of the market or is is just that it is now being BUILT BY FORD and they have always been known as "Fix Or Repair Daily" vehicles. The Ford Taurus and other vehicles had actually started putting a QUALITY NAME to FORD.. A lot of their products are pretty good,maybe it is now just the "CUTTING CORNERS" because of their financial problems, putting them back in the "Fix or Repair Daily" name. But.. I know the S,SE HSE Freelander owners who put "Faith" in the SUV'S and $$$$$ TO keep them running would love to see the TRUE ROVER QUALITY back. I don't believe that the prior quality name would ever return until a "White Knight" puts the "Majesty Quality" back into ROVER...

B.Gant
    You truly have no idea what you are talking about.

Rover's quality was worse when it was owned by BMW then it is now.

Rover's quality was much, much worse back before BMW owned them because they had no capital to improve the products. BMW provided a fair amount of capital to help rover do some things but mainly just bought rover so that they would not have to develop 4wd and SUV technology on their own. It was much cheaper to buy rover and use their experience to help design the X5 then to develop the X5 by themselves.

Once BMW had all the tech they thought they could use they dumped rover. There was a lot of animosity between Rover and BMW top managment and engineering. Things were done specificly to keep Land Rover vehicle launches/events from over shadowing BMW launches/events.

Specificly when the Linely Special Edition Range Rover was launched the X5 was being launched in London about the same time. BMW had the Linely Launch moved to a smaller less prestigious location so that it would not take attention away from the X5 launch.

Ford has put more money into Rover then BMW ever did. BMW spend about ONE BILLION USD for the initial development of the Range Rover. Ford spend over ONE BILLION USD for the LR3 and factory upgrades at Sollihul. Several hundred million more was spend deveolping the Range Sport and then even more was spend finishing the design of the Range Rover since BMW left it unfinished and then even more money was spent upgrading it for 2006-2007 MYs.

I haven't seen the data for the money spent on the LR2 but I am sure it is also in the hundreds of millions if not a billion dollars once you include the money for refitting Halewood for LR2 production.

Oh and Ford also spent money updating the Defender for 2007 although unfortunately it is still does not meet US emissions or safety. :sick: Eventually the Defender will get a full update and should meet US regulations then but who knows when that will happen.

The Defender was never touched by BMW as Land Rover brought it up to US spec for the 1993 introduction and then BMW let it die when the regulations changed for the 1998 MY.

I have a good question for you. Who designed the Original Freelander? If you want to lay blame on anyone lay blame on them.
    I remember when BMW bought Rover, they put the RIDE in Rover it has now along with the ability to HUG the road. I believe BMW only bought Rover to "GRAB" the technology you mentioned, but it seems that ROVER is NOW all OVER the spectrum when it come to "QUALITY" being built back into it.The Design of the "Freelander" was "FORD".. They were the owners when it was brought to the U.S. Please Correct if this is NOT TRUE.. :)

Bev.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    The Design of the "Freelander" was "FORD"..

The Freelander was originally introduced in Europe in 1997 - long before Ford - the US spec was on the drawing board (hence Rover Car engine) under BMW ownership.
    AAAHHHHH Incorrect as LRguy said.

The Freelander started life as a joint project between HONDA and Rover back before BMW even owned Land Rover. This was back in the early 90s and the Freelander was supposed to be a twin to the CRV. Honda owned a 20% stake in Rover through the mid-90s.

As the project started to move along though Honda decided to use a 4 cylinder engine for the CRV and Rover wanted to use a small V6. The project became less and less about two twin vehicles and more about two vehicles sharing a limited amount of technology. When BMW bought Rover along with Honda's stake in the company in what was essentialy a hostile takeover bid. The Freelander and CRV were seperated before birth and shared almost no technology.

BMW bought Rover in 1994 so they finished the design of the Freelander although I don't know how much they actually had to do with it. The 4 cylinder diesel in the Freelander for Europe was actually a BMW engine. Production of the Freelander started in 1996 and ran into 2006. No Freelanders were brought into the US after the midpoint of 2005 as everyone realized what a problem car it was.
  • haagdhaagd Posts: 20
    Why respond to this guy anymore? Let the past go. The LR2 is hot! Time to get into at least the present if not start thinking about the future.
  • presspress Posts: 17
    Good luck with your LR2. I drove the LR2 at night with the Xenons and in the corners you could really tell the benefit of adaptive Xenons. When you learn the price of the raised roof rack, please let me know.
  • presspress Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info on the dealers. I noticed that LandRover moved from the Rockville site. Did someone take it over or did they move to a new site.
    Knowing how much Ford dumped into ROVER.. Do you think it might of nip away at the Rovers to enhance sales with Ford Products? Ford Escape was one of the most popular Suv's .. Below is a insert from a 2002 Add. To much competition in this market. It is like robbing from the rich to give to the poor. A conflict of interest is what I see.. A "White Night" with only the "Rover" interest at heart is what is needed.. COMPETITION

2002 Ford Escape
    More Photos

MSRP:
    $18,670 - 25,880

Invoice:
    $17,404 - 23,965

Class:
    Compact Sport-utility Vehicle

CG Award: (What's This?)
    2002 Ford Escape
    Expert Rating Summary
    Category XLT Sport Rating (See All
    Ratings) Compact Sport-utility Vehicle Average Rating

Acceleration 5 3.5

Fuel Economy 5 4.8

Ride Quality 4 3.7

Steering/Handling/Braking 5 3.7

Quietness 4 3.3

Controls/Materials 5 4.8

Room/Comfort/Driver Seating (front) 6 5.0

Room/Comfort (rear) 5 3.7

Cargo Room 7 6.7

Value within Class 10 5.4

Total Score: 56 44.6
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    Did I see right on the LR2 commercial during "24?" Do the LR2s now come with scheduled maintenance at no extra charge?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Why respond to this guy anymore?

He's a she and I'm finding british_rover's replies illuminating.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Yes. 4 years/40,000 miles is the warranty, and Land Rover says you get free scheduled maintenance during your warranty period. We have this on our Volvo, and it is great. No worries about going to some Qwick-E-Change Oil Center...just take it right to the expert. Usually they will change the wiper blades, top off your fluids, etc. I get car washes at my dealer also. I appreciate the little extras like that kind of service.

And no, bg54, I don't work for Ford, Volvo, Land Rover, Mazda, Lincoln, or any other FoMoCo.

I think bg, however, you must work for BMW, because you HYPE how GREAT the ROVER COMPANY was when THEY were ASSociated with THEM, and how GREAT the QUALITY was when they WERE together...
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    Actually the warranty is 4 years 50000 miles. The sked maintanence is every 7500 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first) and they are complimentary thru the 45k as long as it is accomplished within 1 month or 1000 miles of the scheduled period.
    I knew that he/she wouldn't actually know the correct answers to any of those questions and that by just blowing them out of the water with information they might shut up or at the very least change tactics.

From the above post looks like they went off on some tagent nearly six year old Escape pricing.
  • patroverpatrover Posts: 2
    Free scheduled maintenance every 7500 miles during warranty period (6 free services). Only thing out of pocket is wear and tear items such as tires, brakes, wipers.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    One wheel is off the ground? Cool pics. I like the LR2 in red.
    Yeah it is kind of obvious. I can put a LR2 on two wheels in that ditch but I plan to leave that parked there for a while I don't like leaving cars balanced on two wheels for more then a few minutes. It puts too much strain on everything.
  • ronxlr2ronxlr2 Posts: 46
    I emailed all 5 dealerships in NC telling them what I wanted and asking for their best price since my local dealer wasn't willing to budge off MSRP. All but one wrote back telling me they were selling for sticker price and that I wouldn't find any dealership willing to go below MSRP just yet. The one guy that decided he wanted to make a sale gave me a loaded (all 3 packages) LR2 for 40k OTD (about $1600 below MSRP).

Drove it home last night and am extremely pleased so far. My main concern was the acceleration since I've been driving a 2004 BMW 330Ci w/ performance package for the past 3 years and was hesitant about whether I'd be able to transition to an SUV with average acceleration numbers. My mind was put to ease the second I pulled out of the dealership -- although 0-60 numbers are average, it sure feels very torquey and maneuverable around town. And I haven't even had to switch to sport mode yet to get the response I'm after.

My take so far -- very luxurious-feeling & fun to drive... although there are a few similarities to the Ford Escape in shape when looking at the rear end, I can't imagine how it could ever be mistaken for one. The front half of the car bears enough resemblance to the ranger rover to make anyone forget that the LR2 is related at all to the Escape.

I am also very pleased with the upgraded sound system. I've been using FM tuners for Sirius and my ipod in the bimmer (what a waste of the premium Harmon Kardon sound system, right?), so it was a whole new world being able to connect my ipod through the auxiliary port and not have to compete with the static of even the best radio station.

Let's see, what else.... like someone already said, the rear parking assist beep is easy to hear. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try my best to chip in.

Oh, and thanks for that link to the accessories site... some of those accessories seem a bit pricey, but I guess it's partly due to the fact that there probably aren't too many clone products out there for the LR2 yet... I'm thinking about scooping up that loadspace flexible liner for when I take the dog to the lake. Maybe I'll be able to get by with a separator gate and flipping the loadspace floorboard over to the non-carpeted side.

Does anyone have any experience with the various pet separators for SUVs? I have a 1.5-year-old, medium-sized (45-50 lbs) Boykin Spaniel who is all over the place. I need something to keep him in the back without letting him stick his face through and slobber on the rear seats ;). Any advice would be much appreciated, as I plan on keeping this LR2 very clean. Maybe I'll get a roof rack and strap him to the top!! *evil grin*

Rob