Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• FYI, Went to test drive a 2008 LR2 today, I wanted a loaded model with a black leather interior and a stornaway grey exterior. I was informed that there were no SE's available in that combo and that a HSE was available and would be delivered to the dealer in several weeks. After prying more info from the dealer, it turns out that the SE has been discontinued and replaced with the HSE model. I was given a bid sheet that clearly stated HSE, the base price is $36,150. Not completely sure of the differences, however I do have a brochure for the HSE (he stated that I was the first to find out about the change), and the dealer went over them with me (don't remember off the top of my head). The point is, if you want a SE, I would bet there very may well be some incentives (this was indicated to me by the dealer)to move the discontinued SE in the very near future, it might be worth while waiting if you want the best price if you are willing to take what's available. The dealer indicated that the HSE was what Land Rover intended to roll out initially, but some component held things up, and the SE was sent out to get things moving. Just thought it was interesting news...
  • Some kind of mistake on this review??
    Comparison test, Bottom of Page 2 $47.075 price for LR2??
    Sounds like LR3 price? so, which did they test??
    Who knows, definitely some kind of mistake...
  • Canadian prices.
  • What are differences in SE & HSE?
    Any A/C vents in back? Sirius standard?
    Where can you look up options on HSE? Still $3000+ tech pack?
    Lot more expensive than SE?
    Will they have the 4.9%interest?
    I guess only the SE will have the $3000 mktg. support for awhile anyway, nothing when the HSE first comes out?
    Thank you.
  • I haven't seen a HSE yet so not sure all that they will have. Land Rover has a tendency to surprise us with some unadvertised/unannounced features.

All options are the same price but the base price is about 1,300 dollars more. No marketing support on the HSE when it comes out and probably won't get any till the summer/fall of 2008.
  • If you go to the Land Rover site you can now build an HSE and compare the two.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Went to the LR site. There is no information describing exactly what you get for your $1450 extra for the HSE. All I can glean is that you get a few 'H's, a teeny spoiler atop the lift gate and bright metal-look door handles instead of black.

Oh, wait, you also get 8-way driver and 6-way passenger seats, 19" wheels and a 'cubby box with lid'.

Oh and the beautiful Tambora Flame color that the LR2 is so often shown in? NOT available on the HSE. Replaced by powder blue.
  • Body colored bumbers and side sills.
  • It also receives a new automatic transmission, namely Land Rover's CommandShift which can also be used for manual sequential shifting. Additionally the LR2 HSE has a sport mode for 'more responsive performance'.
  • 08lr308lr3 Posts: 76
    the SE has the auto command shift as standard, as well as sport mode.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    Not a new tranny. The drive train is the same. Just fluff stuff and different option choices.
  • "Discontinued SE"
    What will that do to the resale value?
    Are they just adding HSE, no more SE not even for 2009, I guess no one really knows if they will even have LR2's in 2009 model?
    Thought I wanted the SE, but concerned about quite a few things...resale value, reliability (I know there are always lemons in every make, but sounds like a lot of the same problems here) I live a long way from any dealer....

trying to find info. on HSE ,thought someone might want to read this:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/08/lr2-hse.html
    "Ch-Ch-Changes: 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE"
    "The LR2 hasn’t set the world on fire in the sales department yet;....."
    "To add variety — and hopefully augment sales — Land Rover has come up with the Land Rover HSE trim level."
    You're making one of the biggest mistakes in auto-shopping. You're taking the salesman's word for it. Even worse, you're taking it as second hand info on this web site.

Go to the Land Rover site yourself and you'll find the SE has not been discontinued. LR has just found another way to make a bunch of money for no real value. Paint stuff and add a spoiler and the adjustments on the seats that should've been there to begin with and voila - that'll be $1450 please. OH, and BTW, those 19" wheels and tires that come on the HSE? - don't get em if you're ever gonna need snow chains ans the chains wont fit. To accomodate those folks, LR will happily give you 18" tires and wheels on your HSE. At no extra charge!! (Course, you already paid extra for the 19"s but why quibble about the small stuff eh?

Reliability still an open issue and I'm watching it as well. Vehicle itself seems to be quite a competitor.
  • The SE is discontinued and no longer in production. I can't order SE LR2s anymore and haven't been able to for quite a while.
  • Never Blogged Before.....so here it goes.

Picking Up LR2 on Halloween....and not many left. Live in NY Metro area and it was hard to locate a blue with just a cold package. Baltic blue is a beautiful color, a rich dark blue with beige leather. wanted two front windows tinted but LR charges $295 for it. Going to go to stereo and tint shop and get it done for much cheaper. Inventory is low around here. Lots of Tambora Flame and Red around. Finding a simple black or blue without all the bells and whistles is a little task. Dealerships around here trying to move inventory for the new LR2's. So they are not ordering anymore until 08 comes around and stocks the 09's

Trading a Grand cherokee for an LR2. Lets see how it goes
    So then the LR site is wrong? It lets me build an SE or an HSE and shows prices, colors and options for each.
    No SE means no more Tambora Flame which was my color of choice.
  • Hey Baltic,
    Contgrats! You won't regret it, I'm sure you will love your new Rover. I'm tellin ya, it blows away the Jeep GC. I have owned 3 jeep grand Cherokees (93,00,05) and the LR2 blows them away. I traded in the 05 after just 1 month and took the loss cause it was such a piece of junk. Up here in New England inventory is still ok for the LR2, with mostly fully loaded ones.

Enjoy your new toy.
  • They still have them. In NY Metro area they had 2 Tambora 2008 models. One is still in the showroom.
  • Thanks for the regards. I also owned the 05 Grand Cherokee. It was my second and it was so sad to see the quality diminishing with each later model year. We had an ice storm down here in late march and my fan froze and blew out the motor on the grand cherokee and i had to fight with the dealer to pay. Speaking of loss on a lease i traded the Grand Cherokee in 5 months earlier to get the LR2.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    You can still build them on the web site because dealers still have them in inventory and for sale. But SEs can no longer be ordered by the dealers.
  • I see what we have here is a failure to communicate.

There are still LR2 SEs and Tambora Flame LR2s on the ground but I can't order anymore.

I think the Last Tambora Flame LR2s had to be ordered in June and the last LR2 SEs in July or august. The first HSE LR2s won't be on the ground till November.
    wow. my lr dealer charged 75 USD to tint my windows.

and with LR killing the SE trim only after one year, its going to KILL our resale. AND this is deterring me from looking at the LR3 to replace the LR2 in 2 years.. Audi, here I come.
    "I see what we have here is a failure to communicate."

OK, boss. SO only HSE going forward? SE dropped right at start of 2008? Kinda strange doncha think? Is this the typical LR way? Also, Tambora Flame is the color most associated with the vehicle. WHY would they drop it?
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,016
    In the US LR only wants a premium image. In Europe you can get a pretty stripped down LR2. In the US you can only find fully loaded ones. The LR3 V6 was dropped as well. Smart strategy. They know their market niche and they are further going for it. Good for them.

Tambora Flame was only a limited color. It was announced as such from the very beginning. It's not so much that they dropped it, but it was made only in limited quantity for a limited period to make it more unique and desirable. Again, good for them.

I bet British Rover and lrguy44 can provide a more authoritative answer.
    authoritative answer we await. :shades:
  • All I know is what the dealer told me when I buzzed him for info. Don't know why he would have any reason to not tell me the truth, as I made it perfectly clear what I wanted and when I wanted it.
  • kqxikqxi Posts: 1
    New to this board. Have been reading comments in these threads because we test drove an LR2 and really liked it. I have some concerns about reliability and quirky problems, but really liked the vehicle.

Question: the LR2 produces a loud and annoying beep when shifting into reverse....even when shifting past reverse to go straight to drive. Do they all do this and is there a way to override this so-called safety alert?
  • That is letting you know that the Rear Park Distance Control feature is activated and no you cannot override it as far as I know.
  • I actually like the beep. The side view mirrors also tilt down. I just leased the LR2 with the light / tech package and turned in my 2005 ML350 a couple of months ahead of time. The LR2 is remarkably more fun to drive than the ML350 (and I have had 2).
  • The HSE is just a cosmetic package. Be happy that you can get a great deal on the SE. That's what convinced me to pull the trigger. I got my LR2 SE for $5500 under invoice! I doubt you will see aggressive deals on the the HSE for a while.