Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• Nothing yet. We have gotten the intro brochures that were already scanned into the web but that is it.

Sometime in October we are supposed to get some hands on training with some pre-production models.
  • Thanks BR, keep us up to date. I can't wait to see one in person, and see some hard data on prices.
  • Last week I saw a cable TV MotorWeek "Car Keys" segment on the new LR2. I recorded it and watched it several times (its only 3 or 4 minutes long) because (a) I am starved for info on this car and (b) because I couldn't believe my ears.

Right at the end they said, "expect it showrooms next Spring starting at about $27,000". I was floored. All I have been hearing for more than a month is "$36K+". (Must have been a verbal typo.)

Thought you'd like to hear.
    Can't stay to chat.
    Got to run.
  • The other day I had my monthly convo with our regional Service rep.

He didn't have any information on pricing yet but I kind of expected that.

What he did tell me is that the LR2 is expected to be in the US around March of 2007. The factory is building pre-production models right now that will be involved in the final testing stages.

In October some of these pre-production models will be coming to the US for additional testing and training. Salesguides and techs will go to some training days to learn more about the vehicles.

Our service rep is in line to get a LR2 for real world mileage testing because of the 4,000-5,000 miles he drives a month. He can cram a year of real world driving into only four months. Next month or the month after I should be able to get some real seat time in the LR2 and if my service rep gets a car I should be able to get some pictures and maybe some video.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    They are a very nice looking vehicle. It's to bad the engine bay has dogs instead of horses. :(

Rocky
  • Dogs???

The I-6 in the LR2 is basicly straight out of the S80 which is a smooth driving great car. That motor has great mid-range torque and pulls smoothly.

It is all set up for turbos at sometime in the future if Land Rover chooses to do that although that is unlikley.

Look at the competitors...

X3 Horsepower 225-hp @ 5,900 rpm
    Torque 214 lbs.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm

CX-7 Horsepower 244-hp @ 5,000 rpm
    Torque 258 lbs.-ft. @ 2,500 rpm

RDX Horsepower 240-hp @ 6,000 rpm
    Torque 260 lbs.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm

LR2 Horsepower 234-hp not sure at what RPM yet
    Torque 234 lbs.-ft not sure at what RPM yet

Trounces the X3 for thousands less..

Not quiet as much as the RDX and CX-7 but the power should be more linear without the turbos and the gas mileage should be better as well.

The CX-7 will be a lot cheaper but it won't have nearly as much standard equipment and probably won't be as nice in side.
  • 2007 X3 has 260-hp...

But, I agree.. It is a nice package and competitively priced...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Oohh didn't know that. I had heard they were gonna bump it up but had not seen how much they were going to do it by.

Hmhh that makes things more interesting. The X3 is still way overpriced and ugly though.
  • The engine is the same one that is in the '06 330i... Possible small differences in stats, due to tuning/exhaust routing, etc..

The X3 is a lot more competitively priced if you take leasing into account... If Land Rover has aggressive lease deals similar to what they had on the Freelander, they'll be fine... but, if they don't.. I don't know..

The "small" SUV market is a tough one to handicap..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Uhh yeah Land Rover does not do agressive leases. That is actually something else I talked to Bill, the service rep, about. LRCG(Land Rover Capital Group) is going to have to step it up and offer some competitive leases on Land Rovers in general.

I am so tired of trying to explain to someone why a 65,000 dollar Range Rover Sport leases at over 1,200 dollars a month and a 7 series that costs 10,000 dollars more leases for around a grand a month.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,125
    BMW has some seriously aggressive lease deals on the X3. If you check out bimmerfest, you can actually view BMWFS money factors & residuals under the ask a dealer forum. The last time I checked they had set a 75% residual on a 24 month lease/ 15K per year lease (65%/36 month 15K) for an '07 X3.

I have no doubt that LR will make the LR2 a competitive vehicle in the market. Hopefully you'll be able to close some more deals and add some dough to your own bottom line. Thanks for keeping us updated.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• British Rover no more, at least for now. Ford is doing a number on the Land Rover line. The LR is being groomed with the likeness of the Ford Expedition.
  • I'd hope that $27K number is closer for the base version. The LR3 starts right around $40K, and a loaded up LR2 ought to be comfortably less.

Jeep is selling more Liberty SUVs than I can count, and Land Rover would do well to position themselves just a notch higher. $36K for an LR2 doesn't bode well for sales. At $30K, it should do very well.
  • A LR3 for 2007 with the six cylinder and five passenger is going to start at nearly $44,000 with the cold climate package.

A V8 LR3 for 2007 is going to start at over $50,000 with the cold climate package. This is because for 2007 all V8 LR3s will have seven passenger and all of them will get, auto dimming interior mirror, rear PDC and fog lamps standard.

I think a base LR2 will come in around $30,000 with a more loaded one approaching $40,000. I see the main competitior to the LR2 being the X3. Typical options for a loaded X3, navigation, Leather, 5 speed automatic, heated seats, xenons and privacy glass push the MSRP up to nearly $44,000.

Land Rover has a tendancy to undercut BMWs pricing for a comparable vehicle by a little bit but at the same time offering more standard features for less money.
  • A base LR2 at $30K would be fine, especially if the base model includes a leather interior and if dealers will actually order some that aren't loaded to the gills (i.e., I don't need the cold climate package in San Diego.)

The preview brochure I got gives scant detail about anything, but fuel economy and towing capability (3500 lbs sounds low when the Liberty does 5000 lbs...) may sway my decision.
  • I really wouldn't want to tow 5000 lbs with a liberty. That would be very painful. Keep in mind the liberty has low range and the LR2 does not so check and see if that 5,000 lbs tow rating is in low range only.
  • We are going to order the first set of LR2s this month. Our order call for Oct. 24-25 will include 2008 LR2s for December production which makes me think we could get them as early as Late Feb. or early March.

That morning I should know what trim levels will be offered and what will be standard/optional on the various trim levels.

I still won't know pricing though.
  • We got our LR2 marketing package on Friday. I have basicly all the information now except for pricing of course.

I will make a couple of posts sharing some additional details on monday. Anything I don't post about just ask and I will answer if it is in the packet.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    There is a bulletin out - looks like one trim level. Options include Cold Climate, Lighting (Xenon, Adaptive front, Memory driver seat and mirrors, approach and puddle lights), Tec (Nav, Bluetooth, HK Sound, Sirius Radio, and rear seat audio controls), Pixel metalic interior and Narvik black paint. No firm pricing yet but rumour is 34-38k
  • I really hope they start it closer to 30k but with only one trim level I would not be surprised if it was closer to 35k.