Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,133
    You won't find 18" steel wheels..

Check out tirerack.com They will have a winter tire/wheel package specifically designed for your car. They will be cheaper alloys, which really is the only option you have. They might even have a 17" tire/wheel pkg that will fit, and be substantially cheaper than 18".

Plus, cheap alloys will look better than steel wheels with covers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• What size rims and bolting pattern do you buy?
  • Just went online to tirerack.com as you recommended and this was the response that I received:
    You Selected: 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE

Winter wheels for this vehicle are not available but winter tires can be purchased separately by selecting your size at the right.

Any thoughts? The search results were for the original 235 60R18 18x8.0in wheels.
  • My I ask where you found the Land Rover steel wheels? I've been trying to find a set online and have had zero luck. I'm trying to fit my 2008 LR2 with the same as what sounds like you already have.

Thanks!
  • Where did you buy your steel wheels and tire pressure sensors?
    I've been looking online for them and can't find a set of steel wheels that will fit the LR2.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,953
    Do the wheels have to be Land Rover specific?

When I got a full size spare to replace the spacesaver one in my minivan, I just got a universal rim that had hole patterns and an off-set to fit. Maybe a call to TireRack or Discount Tire would help narrow your options down.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I checked with Tirerack and they didn't have anything that would fit the bolt pattern on the 2008 LR2 SE. I spoke directly to my LR service guy and he's pricing up a set up the Spare Steel wheels (17 x 7.5 inch) that come standard with the LR2. It's the only thing that I've been able to find. Have to add tire pressure sensors to those wheels to. I'll let everyone know the $$$ when they get back to me.
    Make sure you're sitting down when they call you back with the price. Could be ugly. :surprise:

• Actually, not too bad gang-
    Steel wheels are $144 each, tire monitors were $59 each. A bit more than a previous post that I found, but not too shabby.
    My universal rim (and a used tire to stick on it) came to $54.

Of course, that was back in June, 1999 and I don't have tire pressure monitors. Times change. :)

• 1999? Yeah, that's almost 10 years ago. So I'm thinking the $144 wasn't too bad.
    I agree.. the price doesn't sound bad..

Plus, 17" will be better for winter than the 18"..

The question is: How will they look? 4 months per year is a long time with dorky looking wheels on a $40K car.. ;)

• I was thinking the same thing on the looks. I could go with LR caps for the steel wheels or I could just buy some cheaper alloys and save my stock wheels for better weather. The only trouble I'm finding is not knowing what the bolting pattern is on the wheels.
    Your dealer's parts department should be able to give you specs on the bolt pattern and the offset.. (hopefully... you never know)

A trip to your local tire/wheel shop might be helpful, also. They should be able to tell you if they have anything that fits, and actually try it to see. All they have to do is take off one wheel to check for fitment.

I would stick with the 17 X 7.5". More choices and cheaper than the 18".

• Hey Gang- Just found out from my LR service rep that the 2008 LR2 SE's bolt pattern is 5 x108mm. I looked everywhere for this to try and get the correct size wheels and had a difficult time getting my service guy to provide the info - guessing they want to keep us buying direct from the dealers.

Anyways, I'm going with a set of 4 steel wheels, 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3, and 4 tire pressure monitors for about $1576. They're charging $55 per tire for mounting and balancing which is insane though, so I'm not too happy about that.

Perhaps I should just go with the steel wheels and tire pressure monitors and buy the tires and mounting and balancing from a local tire shop - any thoughts?
  • Okay so it's down to five choices:

Spikes Spiders which are $475 mounted over my All Season tires or
    Land Rover Steel wheels, snow tires, TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) and mounting & balancing for $1500 or
    Momo winter alloy wheels, snow tires, TPMS and M&B for $1,200 orjust the All Season tires or
    Spider Spikes & the LR steel wheels package for ~$2,000.

My concerns are this: While I'm originally from Upstate NY with snow and ice, my wife is from Phoenix, AZ and we have a 19 month old son that rides with her in the back seat all the time. I'm buying these more for the protection of my wife and son than anything else.

Any thoughts or comments?
  • smichsmich Posts: 31
    Hey there,
    When I first bought my 02 Freelander, I remember seeing a set of 4 snow "cables" that fit around the wheels. I think they were offered in a LR accessories catalog. Look in the LR UK website. Also, in addition to searching the Tirerack website,search Atlantic British. They carry a bunch of LR parts and equipment for all the LR vehicles.
    smich
    I don't know if these are an option to chains or cables? Looks like "Auto Socks" is a variant of the same idea.

Snowbootz: A new and better winter traction aid for vehicles

• ucla95ucla95 Posts: 12
    I just bought a set of the 18" wheels from an SE in black chrome PVD with Pirelli Scorpion snow tires and sensors and everything installed and shipped for $2200 from calchrome.com
    Really like how they turned out.
    I have a semi-bad problem in my HSE. At 70mph quite a lot of vibration starts coming through the steering wheel, at 80mph it's unbearable. I've tried adjusting tire pressures etc and it doesn't do anything. Any thoughts? Anyone else with this problem?
    This vibration is making me think I made a mistake in buying this truck.
  • Do not get upset: try to balance tires.

Happy Holidays!
    Unfortunately I already tried rebalancing all the tires and it did nothing, not even a little bit of help. Still tons of vibration, I can feel it all through the car. Going to ask them to test the engine mounts next. Still no-one else with the same experience?
  • I recently went out and test drove and got some information on the newer Land Rover LR2's. I am very interested in the LR2, everything about it from the luxury appointed interior to its off road capabilities but I am worried about the reliability of the car. Has anybody had major issues with their LR2?? I know that the original Freelander was a horrendous car from a reliability and service aspect. Although the dealer reassures me that not a single screw from the LR2 is from the original freelander I am still not sold on landrovers past in the reliability side of the market. If anybody has any past experience I would love to hear about. If I hear people saying their getting a hundred thousand miles on their cars without any problems then I'm sold and I'm going to pick one up.

Thanks
  • I have 20,000 miles on my LR2. I love it. I would say it has been problem free. I am glad I took the chance. I too was like you and did the research and was very concerned. My dealership takes great care of me. I have had her in for her scheduled
    oil changes and a few very minor things. Two of them were for recalls. I am very happy with my decision.
    Unfortunately I have to warn off any potential purchasers of this vehicle. The vibration problem is very very dangerous. I cannot hold onto the steering wheel over 70mph, and the whole truck is shuddering (except the engine which is smooth). Clearly this is a driveline issue (CV joint?) which the dealer will unlikely be able to remedy. I will have to go down the lemon law route which is unfortunate.
  • ucla95 - Although Land Rover is now owned by Tata Motors, I suggest contacting the President of Jaguar Land Rover North America and explaining the situation to him. Copy the Dealership Manager on your correspondence so that he/she knows that you are going directly to the top with this issue. I've had my LR2 since October of 2007 and had a few issues with my dealer. After contacting the President of JLRNA (Jaguar Land Rover North America) I was immediately contacted by Headquarters Customer Service and the issues were taken care of right away.

I love my LR2 even though it has its quirks. It sounds like yours is a major
    issue which I'm sure will be handled right away.

Good Luck. It sounds like your issue is affecting only your vehicle and not
    others, as mine is not having this issue.

Check out the attached link for further information on the President of JLRNA:
    http://rovering.squarespace.com/journal/2008/9/25/north-america-jaguar-land-rove- r-north-america-llc-announces.html

Email me directly if you have any further questions.
  • :) I have a 2008 LR2 with 33,000 miles on it.. I have owned it for about 14 months.. Not a hint of a problem. The service from my dealewr is first rate.. Now my wife wants one too.. Her car is a 2002 Chevy Surburban.. big difference in what it can carry..

Several days ago driving in very bad snow storm.. I discovered that if I put it into the snow mode and use the select shift.. I had no issues stopping or moving along.
  • I have 33,000 miles on my LR2.. They gave me an estimate at the Land Rover dealer.. but I am inclined to go to a tire store.. any suggestions on the OEM replacement? I am thinking Michelins. The current tires are about 70% used..
  • ronxlr2ronxlr2 Posts: 46
    Has anyone had to replace their front brakes for their LR2 yet? Not long ago, I had to shell out $200-300 (can't remember exactly how much) to replace the rear brake pads. I dropped my LR2 off for the 30k mile service this morning and I just got a voicemail saying I needed new front brake pads, which would run just over $400 for parts and installation. After doing a quick search on the web, I found some EBC front brake pads for under $100. Are they really trying to charge me over $300 to install front brake pads?

Should I take it somewhere else to have the brake pads done? Or is $400 reasonable for replacing front brake pads?