Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    Yep - all Freelanders including NA Vehicles are made in the same plant by the same people on the same days. Again, this is a LR2 forum, not a Freelander forum
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    *puts on hip waders to go through this post....

The ones in EUROPE are made in EUROPE.. THE ones in the U.S. ARE NOT of the same quality as they are in EUROPE..

Wrong Land Rovers have always been made in England and untill the LR2/Freelander 2 they were always made in the same Factory. That factory is in Sollihul England. The new LR2 factory is Hallewood and is a joint project with Jaguar.

If you go into the other forms where the Freelander has been in Europe you will see it they too have had their problems..

Sure like any car it has had problems in Europe but no where near the problems they had in the US because the drivelines were different. Most of the European Freelanders were Diesel and stick shift which fixed most of the problems with the freelander. The freelander was the best selling SUV of all time in europe and has won the small SUV of the year over and over and over. They still didn't sell millions of them though. Land Rover sells less then 200,000 vehicles a year.

I would like to know all the PARTS THAT ARE NOT OF THE FREELANDER other than the Interior. SOME of the interior is still like the 2004 Freelanders according to the pictures. Has the electrical system been completely replaced or is it the same used as the FREEELANDERS ?

LRguy and myself just got back from the LR2 launch. They had cutaways of the LR2 there and there is not a single component from the Freelander in it. THe LR2 looks like a freelander because the freelander was so sucessful in the rest of the world.

Freelander used a 2.5 liter V6 that made 174 hp. It was designed back in the early 90s by Rover car company.

LR2 uses a 3.2 liter I6 that makes 230 hp and is shared with the new S80. It is a completly modern engine that was a joint venture between Volvo, Land Rover and Ford. Might also find its way into some new Jags.

Freelander had a 5 speed automatic

LR2 has a 6 speed automatic that is shared with the new S80.

The freelander had rear drums and front disc brakes.

The LR2 has discs all the way around that are made by BREMBO and the front brakes are ventilated from the inside out. Actually very cool to see.
  • ... please turn off the constant use of ALL CAPS. A little sprinkling is okay, but the downpour of the caps is making it difficult for me to read your views (which I do appreciate, btw!). My eyes are starting to bug out, and they're pretty bad to begin with. ;)
  • Forgive me... I'm getting a little OCD with the LR2, and I've been soaking up as much info as I can on it. I went to a Freelander 2 forum to see how the Europeans are liking it so far. There's talk of some electrical problems, but that there is a "program patch" available from the Land Rover dealerships. :confuse:

Is this true? Would it apply to the meant for North America vehicles?

Oy!
  • ecoercecoerc Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a Samsung Blackjack is compatible with the bluetooth system?
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,015
    http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Vehicles/Freelander2/Interior_Technology/phone_- integration.htm

Scroll down. There's a link for a complete list of approved phones. It's from their UK site, but the US list should be pretty similar.

There's a bunch of Samsung phones, but they are listed by model numbers. I'm not familiar w. the Blackjack to know which one it is. Looks like most are not fully compatible.

YMMV
  • ecoercecoerc Posts: 2
    Thanks. I should have mentioned I had already looked at that list and didn't see it on there. From the list it looks like the more complicated your phone is, the less likely it'll work. So you can't have a fancy car and a fancy phone? We have a Blackjack and Motorola Razr and they both work with our BMW, however the Blackjack's contacts cannot be accessed through the system (which is fine). Even limited functionality would be fine. If anyone tries pairing one with it let me know.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,015
    Oops. Sorry. Good luck. Hopefully they'll support more phones sooner rather than later.
    Razr will work fine no idea about the Blackjack. In general the smart phones don't work well with the Nokia Bluetooth systems.

Unless Nokia or Motorolla makes them that is.
  • vinnieg1vinnieg1 Posts: 53
    I am told by the dealer that only LR2's with Nav. get a compass.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,764
    Can you elaborate more on "Terrain Resonse" system? Does it have to do with "locking" the 4WD system or raising & lowering the suspension settings on the LR2?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Did you get the dealer extended warranty? May I ask the cost? We're trying to figure out whether to buy from Land Rover or one of a million online companies.

If you bought from a separate company, which one? It's so hard to figure out who's legitimate...

Thanks!
  • Did you get the dealer extended warranty? May I ask the cost? We're trying to figure out whether to buy from Land Rover or one of a million online companies.

If you bought from a separate company, which one? It's so hard to figure out who's legitimate...

Thanks!
  • bg54bg54 Posts: 21
    rover..

As many problems the Rovers have had in the past 4 years,
    and the Freelander was nothing but a constant problem for almost anyone who had one.. I sincerely wish they would of
    held back.. TEST DRIVE IT LIKE THE BMW X3 did prior to bringing it to market.
    Also I said "SPEND MILLIONS IF NOT BILLIONS" not make millions of rovers... But I am sure Rover did off of all the Repairs. Below is the "actual" statement I made.

30,0000 paid in 4 years for a SUV THAT HAD NO TRADE IN VALUE WHAT SO EVER.. WITH A "0" interest rate financing.. IS 30,000.00 REASONS WHY I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE PURCHASING THE LR2 UNTIL THEY CAN PROVE THEY ARE QUALITY AND REPAIR THE CONSUMERS TRUST ON THE ONES WHO SPEND MILLIONS IF NOT BILLIONS PRIOR TRUSTING LAND ROVER WITH THEIR DECISION TO PURCHASE THEIR PRIOR JUNK.

You make the ROVER problems sound like "NO BIG DEAL", and all dealers have these problems in the magnitude the Freelander, LR3 and ROVER have experienced.. When you and I know that is NOT TRUE.. I Think to build confidence in the consumers who had purchsed the JUNK PRIOR, these vehicles should be tested for 2 SOLID YEARS.. by a independant firm acknowledging all problems and resolving them prior to bring them to the consumers again. 30,000 and NO SUPPORT AND NO VALUE and all you get is an a bunch of FLUFFY TALK ABOUT .. OH..how great these cars are as you are waiting for a TOW TRUCK...

I know NOT ONE OTHER SUV/car in todays market or prior that has had the problems the Freelander/Rover has experienced int he last 4 years. To put more salt into the wound, they ignore your problems and do NOTHING TO COMPENSATE for the MONEY you have lost trying to keep it working.

Electrical problems and putting a PATCH to the program.. to me is NOT A SOLUTION... Electrical is electrical.. a computer program patch will NOT FIX ELECTRICAL.. If it is a program problem, then it is NOT electrical.

Making light of the problems makes you look to others as a
    "corporate person" who is protecting the site.

B Gant
  • murphydogmurphydog Posts: 506
    bg54 - it is clear that you were not happy with your freelander - we all got it. However the up and down use of all CAPS combined with such poor grammar makes you come across as...well a werido!

Take it easy on the all caps and take a moment or two to actually read what you have written.

Just a thought... :shades:
  • I leased my LR2, so I didn't buy any extended warranty. Sorry I can't help on that. As for the bluetooth phones, I don't think the BlackJack will work with this truck. I have a Sprint ppc6700 that I love, but I have to get rid of because it doesn't work with the LR2 (only partially works...loses connection constantly). I think the vehicle has issues with phones running Windows Mobile. Every Motorola RZR phone is pretty much compatible, but the Motorola MOTOQ is not (runs Windows Mobile). I have called Land Rover twice to figure this out, because I want the bluetooth feature to work...it's one of the reasons I bought it. I am settling for a Palm Treo 700p because it will work (presumably because it runs the Palm OS). I'm not sure if this will all change when Windows Mobile 6 comes out...we'll see. Again, this is a problem I shouldn't have to deal with, and I'm not sure why it is so hard to make it compatible with all bluetooth phones, but I do love this vehicle otherwise.
  • I hear you on the inconsistent lease prices. There are 2 dealers in my area, and I got different prices from each. I went with the second dealer for several reasons. I mentioned the Ford X-plan to the sales guy, and he gave me that price, even without the pin number, so my cap cost is lower than the MSRP of $39,950. To summarize my vehicle: I got Baltic Blue, Alpaca Interior, with all packages (tech, cold weather, lighting).

I don't really care if people I don't know see the numbers I got, so here goes:

Cap Cost = $37,986.63
    Lease Term = 36 months
    Miles/year = 12,000
    Total due at signing = $2039.76 (includes $557.48 Cap Cost reduction, $654.54 First Month's payment, and several fees.)
    Monthly Payment = $654.54 ($595.04 base + $59.50 tax)
    Residual Value = $21,573
    The dealer also gave me $700 for my trade in.

I think Land Rover in general has crappy lease rates, but I like the idea of a new ride ever few years, so this was fine with me. Any other questions, let me know.
  • muddyymuddyy Posts: 60
    Thanks for the numbers; that appears to be about the best lease price anyone is going to get. I've heard Ford employees get it for a little less; about $20 lower per month. I think LR is clearly not interested in leasing a lot of these cars otherwise they would offer an incentive and I'll bet that even after a year on the market they won't lower the lease price. I find this odd considering their main competition, the BMW X3, has the most aggressive lease price in the small SUV category.

The same LR lease spec you have quoted above for a BMW X3 comes in at $490/month; and that's a fully loaded X3 with a cap cost of $42,000. The only way I can comprehend this dichotomy is to guess that BMW makes money by volume sales in the US and likely has a more efficient distribution system and Land Rover makes most of it's money in Europe and can sell only a small amount of cars in the US and is satisified with that.

I'd hate to think that it's greed or conceit; that LR thinks their cars are more special and more desirable than BMW's, and that their actual marketing strategy is to overcharge for the value in the hope that people will be more impressed and more likely to buy if it is simply more expensive. If that's the case, and even if it's not, at $650/month that's too rich for my blood. My opinion is that it's not worth the price. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad car, it means I think it is a bad lease value, possibly the worst I have ever seen.
    BMW has around 8,000 dollars of support behind that X3 lease. Land Rover is simply too small to afford that many incentives behind the LR2. BMW sells more cars in the US then Land Rover does in the whole world they just can't match that volume and never will.

Just buy the LR2 instead of leasing it. They are at the moment offering 4.9% for up to 60 months on the LR2 and it is thousands of dollars less MSRP then a comparable X3. I think to get all of the stuff a top spec LR2 comes with on the X3 you have to be in the middle to upper 40k range.

I just priced it out a top spec LR2 that has a MSRP of just over 40,000. A X3 with similar eqiupment has a MSRP of nearly 50,000.
  • I would also love to hear everyones extended warranty offers and experiences.

Also still looking for reliability information, so if you already bought your LR2 please give us a review.

Thanks.
    millions of owners as yourself were just as excited when they got their FREELANDERS

This was your direct quote in post 239.

Also I said "SPEND MILLIONS IF NOT BILLIONS" not make millions of rovers

This was your quote in post 255. If you are going to rant and rave, at least back it up with facts, not just angry mutterings. Also, a Freelander forum would be appropriate, not a forum dedicated to LR2. FYI, the LR2 was subjected to over 1 million miles of testing prior to introduction. And as BR told you, not one part was carried over from Freelander to LR2.
  • I read somewhere that Land Rover has one of the highest Customer Loyalty Rates among all car manufacturers. To paraphrase this online article (wish I could find it again...), the chances that a Land Rover owner will buy another Land Rover is very high. Why is that?

To clear things up, I'm not talking about customer service satisfaction either.
    So I'm a little confused about your point. If a loaded BMW X3 is much cheaper to lease than a loaded LR2, and the reason is because BMW is much more successful in the US then one should consider buying the LR2 because... ? Here's where I lose you.

I think the LR2 lease is out of whack with the market and just because the loaded X3 is higher on paper, mid 40's to 40 for the LR2, but it's lease price is affordable and the LR2's is not, doesn't that simply make the LR2 a bad deal? Aren't they just asking too much money because they are a smaller company? Shouldn't be because it is a much better car or a much better value?
    Land Rover is never going to sell as many cars in the world as BMW. You can define success in more ways then just sales volume. Land Rover has one factory in Sollihul and shares a factory with Jaguar in Halewood. BMW has many, many more factories then Land Rover and produces so many more types of vehicles that Land Rover will never be able to match the incentives that BMW uses.

The entire market has become addicted to incentives of one type or another and Land Rover does not typicaly offer much in the way of incentives. We push to sell the cars on their own merits without a ton of support. Check any of the Land Rover lease question forums and the Land Rover leases are always very high.

If you are interested in getting a LR2 just buy it instead of leasing it. If you only lease cars then frankly Land Rovers are probably not a vehicle you should be considering because they do not normally have the leasing support that other European makes do. There are some cars you should buy and some you should lease and the LR2 is a car you should buy.

I would never advise someone to buy any BMW because they give them away on the lease side with incentives that don't apply to normal retail sales. The entire reason BMW came out with the ultimate service plan was to help protect their investment in lease vehicles that were returning. Then you have the Full Circle program that requires BMW dealers to retain X% of lease returns for sale at their original dealership.

By doing that they force the dealers to shoulder a signficant portion of the cost when it comes to selling off lease BMWs. It also helps prop up residual values.

A LR2 with no money down financed over 60 months using the 4.9% interest rate is around 790-800 a month with taxes.

A X3 with similar equipment and using all of the same terms is nearly 970 a month with taxes.

Looks like the LR2 is the better value unless you just HAVE to lease a car.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261
    Here's one story - can't answer your "Why is that" question:

"Apparently Range Rover drivers are content with their vehicles. The Range Rover took the 2006 Prestige SUV category in R.L. Polk's annual Automotive Loyalty Awards. The award recognizes manufacturers for superior loyalty performance. Loyalty is determined when a household that owns a new vehicle returns to purchase or lease another new vehicle of the same model or make."

Ford.com

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Yeah the Range Rover as a vehicle has the highest repeat customer base in the industry. Land Rover over all is more middle of the pack but that should rise now that they have all new vehicles in the market place.
  • patroverpatrover Posts: 2
    The LR2 has only been out a few weeks and are selling pretty consistently. Until they start to pile up, there will be no major incentive to lease them out cheaply as BMW is doing. Land Rover has always played the supply and demand card very close to the vest, which makes you think they know what they are doing by not overincentivizing an LR2 lease at this point.
    In fact, I was quite suprised to see the 4.9% X 60 offered.
    Some of this discussion is about buying what makes you happy even though the cost doesn't (make you happy). I leased a 2003 FL from LR for $399/month and was looking forward to the LR2 becasue I wanted a better car with better features and I like Land Rovers (personal taste). I don't care what anyone else thinks of Land Rover's so called "reputation" but I do care about over paying because of opportunism rather than value. So when I heard the LR2 was being developed I was hoping it would still be an "economical" LR as the Freelander was. But I have to tell you when I looked back on the launch of the RR Sport and it's pricing I knew the LR2 was going to be very expensive (for it's category) and it is.

At approx. $650/month for a lease price and 4.9 for 60 months purchase, that's eventually $50,000 you will pay for a $39,000 car over 5 years (and that monthly payment is higher than the lease) sorry, these are all bad numbers and bad deals.

2003 Freelander cost: $30,000 Lease: $399/month
    2007 LR2 cost: $39,000 Lease: $650/month
    2007 BMW X3 cost: $42,000 Lease: $490/month

They're right when they say the LR2 has nothing in common with the old Freelander.
    But if you can afford it, great for you. I must be growing old school, I can actually remember when cars were an important purchase but they didn't break the bank, and they certainly were not the most expensive financial burden behind your house mortgage or your rent... they are now.
    I think you are confusing lease expense with vehicle expense.

The Sport is not expensive for its category. It is less then a comparable equiped X5, less then a comparable equipped Cayenne and less then a comprable Toruag.

The LR2 is less then a comparable equiped X3. There is no way you are going to get a X3 with the equipment a top spec LR2 has for 42,000. You are going to have a MSRP well over 45,000. When I speced out a X3 at BMW's site it was just shy of 49,000 USD when equiped like the top in LR2.

Yes they lease for more then their competitors but I have already explained why that is. Historicaly speaking towards the end of the model yeal Land Rover will throw some support behind the lease to clear out left over models but that is all you get. If you want the best deal and don't mind waiting till the end of the model year then go that route.