Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• amlapoleamlapole Posts: 2
    I am also hearing this noise, took it to local dealer and was told this was normal operation do to vehicle downshifting at low speed? I am still questioning this and will go to another dealer for 2nd opinion and ask about lower steering shaft.
  • mmarbachmmarbach Posts: 1
    No, it's not normal operation as others don't make the noise. I have been having the same problem with my 2006, RAV 4 Sport since I bought it. I have literally taken it to the dealership 10+ times in the short year that I've had it and it continues to make the same noise. I'm annoyed and am filing a complaint with Toyota. I'm also taking it back to the dealership this weekend to have them look at it again. I'm not giving up until they fix it! Please let me know how your 2nd opinion turns out.
  • dwpfeidwpfei Posts: 2
    Here is my Toyota dealer service story for the steering knocking and looseness. The cause was a worn rubber grommet and metal bracket connecting the rack and pinion support to the frame. In fact, the rubber grommet had become disengaged from the bracket, and was just hanging free. The parts replaced were 45517-42020 steering grommet ($20) and 45514-42030 steering bracket ($38). Unfortunately, the labor cost was a shocker ($420). To access the rack and pinion support and the worn steering bracket, the lower engine cradle was removed. Despite the high labor cost, the steering knocking and looseness is gone.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Are you out of warranty?
  • I have a 2006 rav4. about 14,010 miles on it, I noticed this morning when I turned it on the lights come on says maintenance required. Is this just a reminder that i needed maintenance check up @ 15,000 miles. or should I be concerned about this light. Thanks in advance for any input. :confuse:

Flo
  • It is a service reminder. Comes on every 5000 miles. There are instructions in your manual about how to reset it. If you take it to the dealer for an oil change, they are supposed to reset it for you.
  • thank you very for answering my question.
  • I just purchased a 2007 Rav4. The overflow hose typically attached to the radiator cap is missing. The metal cap is screwed onto a flange which includes an outlet where an overflow hose would normally attach to. The cap actually sits atop a large plastic overflow container, which is connected by hoses to the actual radiator.

The dealer states there is no overflow hose but can't explain why the cap/flange is designed with an outlet.

If you own an '06 or '07 Rav4, do you see the same setup?
  • This is a reply to my own question. Toyota finally answered my inquiry. There is no radiator overflow hose. The outlet or nipple is meant to overflow when there's a cooling issue (rare) and coolant will supposedly drop onto an indentation in the above mentioned flange, and from there fall toward the ground.

Seems a bit chessy.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    That's good to know! Glad you got that figured out. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I AM LOOKING AT A 1997 RAV4. IT HAS 117,OOO MILES. NOTHING MAJOR WRONG WITH IT. IT HAD THE TIMING BELT AND THE COOLING PUMP CHANGED. CAN ANYONE GIVE ANY INSIGHT ON THE '97 YEAR. WHAT WOULD THE PRICE BE FOR A PRIVATE SALE?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Try Pricing my used vehicle for private sale.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Does anyone notice that RAV 4 starts very lous, comparing with Camry?
  • I found that you are not able to read the radio and clock display with sun glasses on. Anyone knows how to solve this problem (not removing sun glasses)?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A flashlight..??
  • I live in Canada. Can we still drive with the alloy wheels on in thw winter. Will they corrode with so much salt on the ground. I have a car bought in Louisian with alloy wheels. All wheels corroded in one winter. I am not sure whether this is a problem for cars made for the south.
  • RE: 117,000 miles. I had a 97 Camry that started to use oil at 120k. I know they are not suppose to, but mine did. So no matter the "quality", that is alot of miles and friction makes something wear out. I also had a power steering fluid leak I never could trace down. And I did replace the radiator, too. Also, the power windows would sometimes fail to operator but would fix itself after a time. And, no, I drove it real easy mostly on a 10 mile freeway drive to work.

RE: Leather Seat and Dogs

I have a non Toyota with leather seats and have had 2 dogs. The seats are perfect for a dog. You can wipe them clean with a leather cleaner or plain water. Unfortunately, my other car is a RAV4 with a cloth interior. You can't believe the dog hairs in the car. I have to use a shop vac on the seats followed by a lint remover( the kind you use for suit jackets) to get rid of everything. Also, I am continually cleaning little stain off my gray interior. I may do an after market leather seat job on this car if it works out.
  • Our 2006 RAV4 has had the windshield crack twice in the last year, both times from a single tiny pebble thrown up by other cars.

I'm beginning to suspect there are some unusual stresses within the RAV4 windshield design that make it more vulnerable to damage.
  • I noticed in Colorado my friend's Sequoia had cracks from pebble impacts as well; in Colorado they layout sand on their highways in winter which beats up cars front ends and sides. Our Rav4 2006 so far has had some minor impacts but no cracks on the windshield.

Compared to how my Mercedes windshield has absorbed some major rock hits, I would put forth there is a difference in the quality of the glass between Japanese made cars and not. The glass appears to be thinner and more prone to stress fractures as what you are talking about here, a small impact resulting in a running crack in the glass. What should happen is more of a star impact crater, as the plastic and other material layers in the front windshield help to prevent (normally) cracking.

Also do not allow people to fix your windshield with the various fillers on the market. They expand and contract and make things worse. Better to leave craters alone and live with them, and if the windshield cracks, replace it.

I would approach Toyota armed with this and other info, such as a list of other owners with cracked windshields, and say how come other cars get crater damage when a rock hits and mine cracks like ordinary window glass?
  • rathairathai Posts: 1
    My 2006 Rav 4 suddenly slowed down on the street and when i pulled over to the side and turned off the engine the car would not start again. we took it into the service department and they said that it's because there's a dent on the fuel pump and that needs to be replaced for $ 700 not including service fees, has anyone had this problem....i don't have a car for two weeks now. and it really bothers me to know that a dent on the fuel pump that could of been caused by a rock on the freeway can affect the car so much as to shut down and not start....please help
  • ...but on another car. As far as the dent, I don't even know where the fuel pump is on the RAV4, so I can't help you there. These parts do fail on ocassion, so you were just unlucky.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A $700 fuel pump..???

I suspect you meant to say a dent in the fuel TANK.

These days most fuel pumps are located inside the fuel tank.

If it is a fairly serious DENT then ask the dealer if they're sure it isn't/wasn't caused by the intentional VACUUM within the fuel system.

A rock "hit" would leave a mark/scratch of some kind.
  • I have the same exact problem. My wife drives the Rav most of the time, so I did not notice it until closer to 4000 miles. It happens at highway speeds and I also had it in to have the wheel balance checked. They told me everything was fine. The problem is noticeable and annoying, but at the same time it is quite minor. I don't feel it all the time, especially on concrete surfaces. I fell it more on freshy paved black top. How about you?
  • Took my car to dealership for recall on ECM that was causing check engine light to come on. Had just noticed a hard shift from 2 to 3rd with vehicle and asked that it be looked at when hooked up to computer for ECM issue. Was told that they could find nothing wrong with car and was told to make another appointment to have transmission torn apart to try to locate problem. Was given no idea of estimate of cost for this and decided to take car to transmission shop (was 16,000 over 80,000 warranty ). Took car to transmission shop and they stated I had internal transmission error and would need transmission rebuilt at cost of 2,600. Had this done and then car would not run properly. Transmission shop then found bulletin from Toyota March 2006 that said faulty PCM caused problems with 2/3 shift and probably needed replaced. Told me that this issue should have been apparent to service department at dealership on my visit on 9/17/2007. After big run around dealership service department agreed to replace PCM sold me the part for what they said was wholesale (938.14 before tax) and did not charge labor to install . Problem seems to be solved now but am wondering why tech did not check that bulletin (said they do not have time to check all bulletins, even though I saw his search on his lap top brought the bulletin up in less than a minute) Now am trying to get Toyota to reimburse me for cost of transmission and getting no where. Filed complainant with NHTASA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • My girl friend purchased a 06 Rav4 on my recommendation. I have a 03 Tundra and never had as much as a squeek of trouble from it (45,000 mi). About 2 months after purchase going thru a rain storm water started coming in under dash passenger side. Contacted dealer and they had some kind of special notice that other Rav4's were having the same trouble. A special order was sent to my dealer on the cause of the problem. The problem was corrected by sealing something around the windshield wipers, have not had any water coming in since. Also, having trouble with the surging of the engine while cruise control on, have not contacted them yet on that. After reading all the issues being reported on Toyota vehicles probably will not buy one. According to a article in the paper Toyota has lost some of its top executives in qualtiy control to American Car manufactures which they claiim has caused Toyota to fall from grace. I'am looking for a mid size SUV but have yet found any I would trust to run without problems. Maybe someone out there can recommend something.
  • I have a 2006 RAV4. I have been generally pleased but I have had a minor surge problem. It is most noticable when I have the A/C on and am going around 25 mph. Interestingly, if I have cruise control on, it is better but still there. What happens is that the RPM drops from 1000 rpm to 600 and immediately comes back up again. I have not noticed this at highway speeds. The dealer has twice told me that speed is at a shift point and there is nothing they can do about it.

Something more annoying is happening lately. When I turn the car 90 degrees like into the garage or a parking space, I hear a noise in the steering wheel. I am going to ask about it today when I go in for 25k service.

Other than that, I have been please with the performance, economy, and size.
  • This is my third attempt at this post, so forgive me if there are duplicates.

I have just purchased a 2007 RAV4 LTD V6. Over the 100 miles or so that I have driven so far, I have noticed that I seem to feel every imperfection in the road surface. When I stop, I feel several small oscillations that damp out, but it feels as though I am sitting on a bowl of Jello. Am I being overly sensitive coming from driving a Ford Explorer and this just the nature of the RAV4? I dont recall feeling this way when I test drove another RAV4, but it wasn't a long drive.
  • Purchased 2006 Toyota Rav 4 V6 and now with 33000km. Just came out this morning to second cracked windshield. First one cracked all over from a single stone chip and now this one cracked from the bottom near the electric grid up to the center of the window. Something is wrong with the glass or the design of the windshield puts too much stress on the glass or something. Never had such a problem with any car I've ever owned.
    Passenger side has been soaked from about second week of ownership, dealer says it's fault with air condition system and seeing as the air comes on to even defrost the window, it lets water in all the time???? Popping noise from front suspension since new, dealer says it's normal.
    After this Toyota I've realized that all cars are the same. It doesn't matter who makes them, they are all put together the same way and all are going to have problems. Got the Toyota based on reputation and I'm very disappointed. Next time I'll buy domestic, at least it doesn't cost so much to replace things when they go wrong. $800 for a windshield, $250 for maintenance service. Car and Driver and Motor Trend are all garbage magazines saying there is no maintenance cost in first year ownership and how dependable Toyota and Honda etc.
  • dtowndtown Posts: 20
    Speedy, you might want to check out this TSB, as it may apply to your Rav 4. http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/BO021-06.pdf
  • dtowndtown Posts: 20
    TSB Number: BO021-06
    Bulletin Title: COWL PANEL WATER LEAK
    Release Date: November 1, 2006
    Applicable Year(s): 2006-2007 (VIN Specific)
    File Size: 479kb PDF
    Download: http://RAV4World.com/tsb/2006/BO021-06.pdf

Description: Some RAV4 customers may complain of water on the passenger’s side floorboard after a heavy rainstorm or when going through a carwash. Water may be traveling underneath the outer cowl panel and entering the passenger compartment through the fresh air inlet of the heater box.

TSB REVISION NOTICE:
    March 22, 2007: 2007 model year has been added to Applicable Vehicles.
    The illustration in step 8A of the Repair Procedure has been clarified. Steps 5 – 9
    and step 13 of the Repair Procedure have been updated.
    PLEASE READ ENTIRE TSB.
    February 13, 2007: A note has been added to the Introduction. The VIS’ in the
    Production Change Information table have been updated. Step 8 has been added.
    The illustration in step 9A has been clarified.