Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    Does anyone know where a download (PDF file) of the owner's manual may be found?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Give Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks, however, the link is only to the reference guide, not the Owner's Manual.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,128
    Toyota just provides those little guides. I haven't found an Owner's Manual for any Toyota online. It's irritating since only a few manufacturers don't provide one online any more.

You may get find some helpful info in one of the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Toyota provides the iGuide online, however, Rav4 is not one of the vehicles covered. I've found Avalon manuals that others have downloaded from Toyota's tech info site and posted but haven't found anything on the Rav4.

Toyota used to provide manuals on CDs but no more.
    It's really irritating. I'm semi-seriously car shopping right now (in fact, I have a loaner Honda Fit overnight). The dealer didn't leave the owner's manual in the glove box but I'm reading the pdf version right now.

I've test driven the Matrix and am considering a Scion, but it's a real disadvantage not having easy access to the manual (when I last bought new back in '98, I made the salesperson find me a manual to read, so I'm a bit nuts about the issue anyway :shades: ).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

There is a laborious and time-consuming process to get the owner's manual in pdf form: on the Toyota owners website, it's possible to do a search of the owner's manual for some common term (such as " "), open all the returned documents (which is, essentially, a separate file for each chapter, the introduction, table of contents and the index and then save them. Then, if you have Adobe Pro, you can combine all the pdf's into one document. I don't think it's worth it, however. It's probably better to buy a 24 subscription to Toyota's technical website and download whatever you want!
    Ah, I didn't realize that was possible. Downloading by chapter is fine; I initially did that for my Nissan before the full text was available in one file. Someone out there somewhere has probably done all this (let us know when you find it :) ).

• irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Won't this work for you regarding the Matrix? There's a place for accessing the owner's manual there. My '98 Corolla is registered here, but the manuals don't go back that far for it.

Toyota Owners site
    Well . . . I downloaded each chapter and combined them into one PDF file (missing a few tables of content for some chapters). I'd post it somewhere, however, I don't know where.
    I think Google Docs is set up for public file sharing of documents. Probably several others.

Google docs has a 10MB limit. The manual is 29MB. Do you know of a site that will accept a file this large?
    Heh, that's a big file. Now I see why you have to d/l many of them chapter by chapter. The pdf for my minivan was just over 1MB. Maybe it could be compressed or something, but I'm not up on .pdf files.

Don't know of other free places to host it. Anyone?

• Hello all,

Wife has new 2008 Sport V6 4WD. Just returned from 2k mile trip. MPG averaged 24. One tank at 21. Once we got 26. Handled great. Very good throttle response.
    Very comfortable. Good visibility. So far so good.

Question...Anything we should be looking out for?

Found only one TSB for the tire air valve.

thanx
  • What was the TSB for the tire valve about?
  • sage3sage3 Posts: 47
    Did anyone change the oil filter in the 2009 4 cyl? Well if you have not your in for a surprise! The new filters come with a 12 step "operation procedure" the filter comes with a separate drain plug (to drain the oil from the filter) and 2 different sized washers AKA "o-rings" that need to be swapped out during this process.Did I mention that the new filter design is no longer in the traditional metal casing, it comes open to the air. O, and of course you will need a special tool to remove the "cap".
    I will take on toyota's "figure out how to change this filter challenge and provide results later, but right now I am afraid, very afraid.
  • Don't be afraid. The 2006 6's have that same system. It's no biggie and you'll get used to it.
    You are right, I did the change and it was not as bad as I thought. Did anyone try to remove the casing without draining it first?
    By the way toyota wants $28 for the specialty tool, I bought a 65mm 14 flange filter tool and it worked fine ($4.55 at advanced auto parts)
  • I'm having problems with my 08 RAV4 windshield washer fluid freezing. Fluid is good to -40 degrees and not a problem with any of our other vehicles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What have you done to correct it? I'm concerned that it is a driving safety hazard.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "Back to the future.."

For those of us in my age group the separate filter and filter canister was once SOP.

This "new" way less otherwise recycleable material goes into our landfills.
    -40 degrees is the rating as a liquid mixture, not for the spray/mist forced UNDER PRESSURE from the windshield washer nozzles. The more completely the nozzle converts the liquid to an aerosol mist (pressure differential across the washer nozzles' SMALL apperture) the more likely it will freeze "in transit" or once it strikes the COLD windshield.

If the fluid is freezing within the storage container then something else is amiss.
    Good point wwest; I am for less waste. In your past experience with this type of filter did you have to drain the canister before unscrewing it?
  • Hi, folks,

Please allow me to ask a silly question here:

I bought a Rav4 from another state so I did all registration work myself in my town hall. However, when I got my plates and tried to install the front license plate, I did not find any holes there.

I am just curious whether I need to drill holes there for the front plate installation(?) :confuse: It is a new car so I really want to confirm it before doing anything to the car.

I appreciate your ideas!
    Back in the fifties there was no ability to drain the canister before removal.
    Look for a pair of correctly spaced small dimples in/near the center of the front bumper or nearby. Dimples are for drill placement but care needs to be taken to only penetrate teh "bodywork" as captive nuts are often pre-mounted just behind.

Thoughtfull, huh...??

Although my state, WA, requires a front plate I always have a recent re-order of the front custom, personalized plate, in the car just in case.....

re-order costs ~$13 every 3-4 months.

Damn, where did I lose or misplace that front one....??
    That's interesting. I've been assuming that you just screw the plate or holder into the foam of the front bumper and hope it doesn't pull out of the plastic bumper cover.

I wonder if you could pinpoint the captive nut with a stud finder?

• Thanks for your reply!

The distance between dimples is even larger than my plate! It sounds ridiculous but it is true.

I can drive to the dealer but it is too far away. I am not confident to get it done without hurting the body so I will let local garage to do it...

sigh....troublesome!
    Sorry, didn't think of that.

Because of the curvature, vertical curvature, of the bumper there is usually an adapter included with a new car purchase. The adapter fits the holes and then has the correct, standard, mounting holes for the license plate.
    If there are no dimples the likelihood of the captive nuts being in place is probably ZERO.
  • thank you wwest.

I called the dealer and they said no such adaptor needed for Rav4.Only corolla need such a thing. That is absurd. But they did not mind if I could drive my car there and let them install it. Well, I know the dealer is 80miles away so I just asked a local garage to install the plate to the front bumper directly.

Oooops, hopefully my hassles end here.