Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fhspsu67fhspsu67 Posts: 24
    This just in from RAV4World.
    zaitcev wrote:
    You cannot just snap it in place, I tried and failed. So the technique I use is simple. Place it upside down and have it grab the top only. Push the bottom over the tyre's thread (it won't go all the way, which is our problem). Then, rotate the cover, taking care that it would not jump free. Once it's the good side up, you can snap it over the tyre completely.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    which way should that indentation be pointing anyway? My wife hates the tire cover but I am at a loss how to jazz it up. Lots of good info on that site.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Posts: 24
    I have the hard LTD cover, but mine looks like a boomerang or Stealth bomber with the center pointed toward the upper left. ie: NW or 315 degrees. Should be lots of pix around, too.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    Thanks. Tried this today. Seems to work well.
  • rray49rray49 Posts: 13
    I too have issues with the RS3200/keyless entry but slightly different. There are times that I do not want the headlights to stay on for 30 seconds but I can't figure out if there is a way to selectively turn that feature off. Does anyone know how?
  • brb972brb972 Posts: 7
    Is there a low fuel warning light on this vehicle?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Regarding the lights staying on for 30 seconds after you close the door - the word on another forum about this seems to be that if you lock the car with the remote and the lights are still on, you need to press the "lock" button a second time. Supposedly this will turn the lights off immediately vs. leaving them on for the 30 seconds. Don't have my RAV4 yet so can't personally verify.
  • ihammerihammer Posts: 75
    Gee, that's a new one - I haven't experienced any kind of grinding noise, just the droning. I hope you get an answer for that issue! Sorry not to be much help.
  • peggie32peggie32 Posts: 3
    Hey there... I just happened to do a search and found your comments about the problem with your RAV radio! I am so glad to find someone else experiencing this! I purchased a 2006 RAV Sport V6 at the end of March and for the first two weeks all seemed good. I have contacted Toyota once and they have me working with the dealership. They have replaced the radio, the antenna and the antenna wire and I still have the static, popping noises. Mine seems to be worse in different geographic areas of where I live but still happens everywhere. I am in Richmond, VA. Its just an annoying thing. So I wanted to try and reach you and let you know you are not alone. Please contact Toyota as was suggested. My boyfriend believes its either a grounding issue or still related to the antenna or a potential design flaw. But to spend this much money on a compact SUV, we deserve the good JBL stereo system we thought we were getting.
  • rray49rray49 Posts: 13
    I have tried that but on my 2006 RAV4 Sport V6 with the RS3200 security system, that doesn't seem to work. I have found no way to keep the lights from coming on when I lock the vehicle remotely or with key.
  • joelh1joelh1 Posts: 4
    I have about 500 miles on a new 2006 RAV4 (4 cyl, 2 wheel drive). There is a very annoying vibration when stopping for a light when the air conditioning is on. It almost feels like the car is about to stall. The dealer service department says it is normal for a 4 cylindar car but I know that is not true since a have had other 4 cyl cars that didn't (in fact my Altima does not shake at all). Before I call Toyota does anyone else have this problem or know the cause and cure?
  • Any updates on this issue? I recently narrowed my new car search down to an '06 Rav4 but this problem is going to stop me from buying one if it's not fixed. I wrote to Toyota corporate today to ask about it and say as much. Maybe they'll be encouraged to do something about it if the problem begins to prevent new car sales.
    I'm interested to know if you have test driven a 2006 RAV4 and if so, did you hear the droning noise? It happens pretty much everytime I drive my RAV4, at least at some point during reach drive.
    Anyhow, I am still waiting for some news of what the cause of the problem is and for a fix for it. I have called Toyota corporate 3 times during the past week and a half, having gotten tired of waiting for them to issue a TSB. One of the people I spoke with told me he was going to talk to the technical section to see if he could get any information re the problem from them and that he would get back to me. That was 3 days ago and he has not called me back. I started a long letter to Toyota corporate today, which I will finish and mail tomorrow, basically letting them know that I'm tired of waiting around for them to come up with a fix and that I'm less than enthusiastic about ever buying another Toyota. I am also going to tell them that I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Hopefully I'll hear something soon because sitting in my car for three hours a day during my commute is just not the quiet time it should be with a brand new Toyota.
    I will keep you posted. I really love driving the car - it handles really well and has great power (V6), but I won't live with the droning noise if they don't fix it.
    I'm glad you wrote to Toyota corporate - I hope they get a clue! If they fix it I'll be very happy because aside from the noise (and the useless cupholders!) the car is a joy to drive.
    Sometimes I regret having traded in my perfect 2004 RAV4 which also was fun to drive and had cupholders which actually held the cups in place. It didn't have side airbags or side curtain airbags or as much power as the 2006, which is why I traded it in, but I miss the quiet normal sounding ride.
    Sorry, I have not heard of that problem, but there is no way it's normal! My 2004 RAV4 was a 4cyl and it never had that problem.
    I wouldn't take the "it's normal" excuse. One of the people on this forum who's car has the droning noise problem was told by the dealer that that was normal too! Incredible!
    I test drove a 4cyl 2006 RAV4 before I bought my 6 cyl and didn't notice any rough idling.
    Anyhow, good luck with that issue - I hope they solve it for you. Keep us all posted.
  • jarekjarek Posts: 24
    I have 4 cyl. with auto trans. and with ac all the time on and in any case, in any drive/stop conditions there is no vibration at all.
    jerr
    Well, I do not think this is a problem with every single vehicle. Mine does not have it.
    jerr
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Most manufacturers of I4's have licensed the "balance shaft" patent and therefore use that technique to smooth out the natural vibrations of an I4.

Assuming the RAV4 has one it may be out of "time" with the rest of the rotating mass.
  • wolfxwolfx Posts: 72
    600 miles and so far no obvious "droning noise", BUT there is this light hummm...

I've had my ears perked for the last 2 weeks listening for anything that could be perceived as droning, but so far so good. However, I do notice an audible vibration when the air conditioning is on and I'm stopped at a light, but the noise drops if I shift to park. The noise is only noticeable when I turn off the radio and listen for it.

Is that the droning noise you guys speak of or is it much louder than that? I know it's not the A/C fan because when I turn off the A/C, the noise remains but changes its pitch slightly. Also, like you guys describe, the humm is not always present, or maybe it's because I'm not always attentive to it?

Again, this is a very light sounding hummm and does not raise concern (or should I be concerned??). I guess if my ears were sensitive to that pitch, it could be described as droning and annoying.

Is this what you all are speaking of?
  • drohrerdrohrer Posts: 37
    Well, before I could make the first payment on our new RAV, some idiot decided to key it in a parking lot!

The scratches are all located on the driver's door and two of the three are really only "scuffs" (it doesn't look like they took off more than the shiny finish.) The third, about 2-3 inches long goes to the undercoat and maybe even down to steel.

Any good ideas on what to do about them? I hate to have insurance cover something so minor (and lose "accident free" status) and yet, we have only made one payment on the car.

I am most certainly not a car guy, but it is our first new car in 10 years and I want it to look as good as possible.

Thanks,

jdr
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Take it to a good body shop or have your dealer take it.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I don't know if this has been posted (sorry if it has). Consumer Reports states in their driving experience with the 4cyl, the engine "drones" at moderate speeds but is not annoying on the highway. Based on the CR comment it appears that all RAV4 4cyl engines may be prone to some droning. Unfortunately, there may be very litle that can be done about it (for those who find it annoying).
  • natkarnatkar Posts: 1
    Just drove my new RAV4 2006 for the first time at night and on a dark road and could not see more than 5 feet in from of me! Once I got home and tested the headlights switch I noticed that what looks like the main light in the front of the car only turns on for highbeam. Is this correct? The light that comes on with the main light switch is the smaller outisde light, for which there is the sliding control to lower or raise the height of the beam. Just seems crazy to me that the main light of the car can be adjusted like this and is not fixed.

Is there something wrong with my lights or and I just freaking out?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    It sort of sounds like you were driving with the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on instead of the "real" lights. Maybe check your manual while waiting for other owners to reply - I'm not even sure if your model has DRLs.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Well since most people report the headlights as decent and they should not function off a "slider". There is a rotary knob at the end of the stalk, parking, low beams, high beams. I think you better read the manual.
  • bobbyt2bobbyt2 Posts: 2
    On the V6, the filter is located on the bottom front of the engine on the passenger side. It is silver and looks like an oil filter cap wrench. It is not the traditional oil filter where you replace the entire unit. With this type you remove the cap, drain the oil, and replace the paper filter element and 2 gaskets.
    I am facing a problem with coolant's smell that is quite intense after driving a car even on short distance. Can not identify a leak. Is anybody facing the same problem?
    My Rav4 has just turned first 1000 miles.

jarek
    Several people have reported it and at other RAV4 sites on the web. No firm reason seems to have been identifed. Check and make sure you do not have a wiper fluid leak. Sometimes that smells similar.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Posts: 84
    Posted before but just to add to your post..I bought my RAV4 V6 on Memorial day and just today I the LCD on my JBL did the Greek writing thing in bold images...tried everything to clear it and nothing changed..any ideas? BTW, I live in Florida and my air conditioning is very adequate...and it is hot!!!!

Jimmy