Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Time related or temperature...?

Cabin temperature and therefore time.....

For improved FE (again!) some of the latest Toyota/Lexus models are now using a variable displacement A/C refrigerant compressor. I wonder if that is what some of you are hearing, calling a droning noise.

The system uses a swash plate technique to vary the displacement. Unlike older models wherein the compressor clutch was either engaged or not, the new compressor's clutch will remain engaged at all times the A/C is enabled. Its "internals" will be adjusted to pump a lower level of refrigerant, probably especially noticeable once the cabin has cooled to or near your setpoint, manual or automatic system.

The noise of that slow pumping displacement, in combination with a relatively fast/high engine RPM would likely be a very noticeable anomaly for those of us having long ago adjusted/adapted to the noise of the old on/off compressor.

Next time you hear the droning reach over and turn off the A/C and see if it doesn't stop.
  • johan1johan1 Posts: 21
    I thought of the droning noise might be related to AC before and thus tried by turning off the AC. You know what, the noise was still there. The new AC technique you mentioned put me to think that might be the reason why the AC is so weak. As earlier posted, I had to turn it on at level three or to the maximum (level 4) when the weather is hot. For this, I also thought of the insulation material for this new rav4 is not good enough considering its sale price.

I didn't notice the noise when the speed is over 50mph though. Like ihammer mentioned, I notice it only when the car was driven earlier. It never happens when I start it early morning going to work.

BTW, my car is V6 sport 2wd. I do enjoy it other than that.
  • mbuttonmbutton Posts: 1
    My husband and I were driving on the highway recently and we noticed when slowing down on the off ramp, there was a very strange noise coming from the back of the vehicle. After troubleshooting a bit, we realized the bars on the roof racks had become loose and since we were driving with our moonroof completely open, it was causing some major vibrations of the loose racks. My husband tightened up the racks and the problem was solved. I thought I would pass this along in case anyone else was experiencing something similar. We thought it was a serious problem and were very relived to find it was a quick fix!
  • kjensenkjensen Posts: 2
    I too am experiencing the same issues with my 2006 Rav4 4x4, V6. We’ve owned the Rav for 6 weeks now and it’s been making this noise for the last 4. I thought perhaps it was the fuel pump so I took it to the dealership and was told it was indeed the pump, and that there was nothing wrong with it other than a possible design error. I was also told there wasn’t much the dealership could do with it at this time. I’m glad to hear that it’s just not me that’s been having this issue. The symptoms are almost identical as to what you mentioned as far as when I hear the noises. I was wondering if you have ever noticed that when you hear the noise and you are stopped at a stop light or pulling into the garage and put the RAV into park the noise stops, but starts again as soon as you put the RAV back into gear. Have you experience this? It makes me wonder if it’s a vibration in the transmission since it stops when the RAV is shifted into park. I’ve have shifted through all the gears and it continues to make this noise until I put it in park again. Maybe this is just happening to me but I thought I would check with others.
    Please keep us posted on what luck you have with replacing the fuel tube assembly, I plan on going back to the dealership but if I have a solution for the problem I might actually get somewhere with them. I really enjoy driving the RAV so I’m hoping this issue can get resolved.
  • I've had my 2006 Rav4 4x4 V6 Ltd since early July. I've just noticed in the past few weeks, a groaning or droning noise coming from the rear-end. I too noticed it doesn't make the noise in park. Tonight when I pulled into the driveway and was slowly backing in reverse, the noise started. I shifted to park, and it stopped. I then shifted through all gears and it was there, until I put it back in park, it stopped. My husband was outside the car and could also hear the noise, coming from the rear-end. He is making an appt with the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. I'll let you know what they say..
  • ihammerihammer Posts: 75
    My vehicle is the 2006 Rav4 4x2 V6. Anyhow, I have been keeping a diary re the droning noise every day I've driven the car since 6/26/06. I have a note dated 7/25/06 regarding shifting from reverse to park and so on back and forth. I noted that if I'm sitting with the car idling in park the droning is present and when I shift into reverse the tone of the droning noise changes to a higher/louder tone and if I shift back into park the tone goes lower/quieter, but is still present. I sat in the car and was able to duplicate this about 10 times. I'm sure I have notes from other days when the same thing happened. Anyhow this sounds similar to what your car is doing except that for you the noise stops when you shift into park. Interesting.
    The fact that your dealership told you that it was indeed the fuel pump and that there was nothing wrong with it other than a possible design error is apalling. Possible design error??? If they admit it is an error they better come up with a fix for it or they may end up having to buy all the droning 2006 RAV4s back. I love driving the car, but not enough to put up with the droning noise (that shouldn't be there in a new car - or even an old one!) every time I drive it.
    I will definitely keep you all posted as to what happens when they replace the fuel tube assembly. I've been out of town for the past 3 days so don't have any news about that yet. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any news as to when the part might be coming in.
    When I first started hearing the droning noise shortly after I bought the car (4/30/06) I did think to try turning off the air conditioning to see if that would make a difference and it did not. The noise was still present. Actually I am relieved that there doesn't seem to be a connection. I would be very unhappy if I thought that I was going to have to listen to a droning noise everytime I used the air conditioning. I can't imagine any engineer thinking that it would be good idea to incorporate an irritating noise into any function of a vehicle. Well, actually that's why I won't own a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle again. There is a grinding noise which happens shortly after one starts to drive off in some Nissan (Sentra for one) and Infiniti (G35) vehicles which the Nissan dealer said has to do with the ABS pump functioning properly. What a weird way to design a vehicle!
    When I first started hearing the droning noise shortly after I bought the car (4/30/06) I did think to try turning off the air conditioning to see if that would make a difference and it did not. The noise was still present. Actually I am relieved that there doesn't seem to be a connection. I would be very unhappy if I thought that I was going to have to listen to a droning noise everytime I used the air conditioning. I can't imagine any engineer thinking that it would be good idea to incorporate an irritating noise into any function of a vehicle. Well, actually that's why I won't own a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle again. There is a grinding noise which happens shortly after one starts to drive off in some Nissan (Sentra for one) and Infiniti (G35) vehicle
    I spoke with the dealership service dept. assistant manager this morning and the fuel tube assembly part is in. I will be taking the car in this Friday morning (9/1/06) to have it installed and will let everyone know after I get my RAV4 back if that has gotten rid of the droning noise.
  • sccrrefsccrref Posts: 4
    Can anybody tell me how to work this thing. I read the O/M twice. According to the book when you turn it on their should be a low/med/high setting.The display shows nothing all it shows is on/off.

When driving with the window open at 60 MPH i have to turn the volume up past 40 to hear any sound from the radio/cd player. Is this correct? :( Any help would be appreciated.

Pete
  • Here's another piece of info regarding this droning noise: I recently purchased the RAV4 V6 Sport and have about 1000km on it. I just noticed the droning noise today. When I had it in D, N, or R, the noise is there. When I put it in Park, the noise disappears. Here's something that nobody has mentioned yet on this forum, as I turned the windshield wiper on, the noise goes away and as I turned it off, after 2 seconds, the noise comes back....interesting. I would like to ask those of you who have this problem to try it out and see if I'm the lone soul that this noise is related to the wiper as well. Hey, maybe this can help the techs to come up with a real fix.
  • kjensenkjensen Posts: 2
    I hope this works for you. We're leaving on a 2000 mile trip tomorrow with our RAV4, I hope I can stand the droning noise. I will try to log on sometime next week to see how things go for you tomorrow.
  • bgsayebgsaye Posts: 6
    I also noticed that the ASL does not work. I do not get the low/med/high options and cannot tell any change in volume at high/low/no speed. I just accepted the fact that it does not work...first year bug. :(
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Posts: 24
    Reading "between the lines", I think I have figured out the Owner's Manual explanation of how ASL works. It can only be turned 'ON' or 'OFF'. The 'LOW', 'MID' and 'HI' settings refer to 'BAS', 'MID' and "TRE" tone levels which are set by the same knob. Admittedly the Owner's Manual is confusing and downright misleading if taken literally, but I believe my explanation is actually what it is trying to say, albeit poorly. As far as the 'Automatic Sound Leveler', its function is to adjust the volume level higher or lower according to the ambient noise level in the car.
    Good luck on your trip and have a safe one. I just got back from an 860 mile trip with my RAV4. I didn't have any problems with the car other than the droning noise. There definitely was lots of droning, but I noticed it mainly around town when I was in the LA area. On the freeway at high speeds there was lots of road noise and I was also listening to CDs and/or the radio so I didn't hear it as much as I do around town. I got home on the 29th and yesterday when I was driving around doing errands the droning noise was really loud. Anyhow I'll keep everyone posted.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    The ASL works fine on my base radio. There is a vast difference with it on. The changes between lo med high are very noticeable. It is almost too much for my ears.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Well other people have reported that ASL works fine once they get it on.
  • I posted a previous post about the droning noise on my '06 Rav. This evening, I noticed when I turned my lights on, the droning noise stopped. I turned the lights back off, and the noise started again. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Unless you have a different ASL than I have, ASL is simply ON or OFF. The HIGH, MEDIUM, and LOW refer to the equalizer settings. HIGH=Treble, MID=Medium, and LOW=base. The Audio Control Knob cycles through BAS, MID, TRE, FAD, BAL, and ASL. BAS, MID, TRE are adjustable from -5 to +5, the FAD is adjustable Front7 to Rear7, the BAL is adjustable Left7 to Right7 and finally, the ASL is simply adjusted to ON or OFF. All of these adjustments are made by turning the knob while the particular function is displayed. Let me know how yours is adjusted if different from this. Mine works fine too, but is only ON or OFF.
  • I waited until the droning noise came on today when I was driving my car and then turned the windshield wiper on. The noise didn't go away when the windshield wiper was on in my vehicle. The technician's notes I got from the dealer after they replaced my fuel pump on 8/22/06 state that the noise can be intensified by applying electrical load and also they state that the noise disappears in Park - just as you said in regards to your vehicle. I also noticed today that when I shifted into Park the noise disappeared and then when I shifted back into reverse the noise came back on. I was able to duplicate that several times in the space of a few minutes. Anyhow, thanks for your input - maybe by puttinmg all of our experiences together we can, as you said, help the techs come up with a real fix. I will let everyone know the results of tomorrows visit to the dealership for the second attempt at repair.
  • I haven't noticed that with my vehicle. In the tech's notes I got from the dealer on 8/22/06 after they had replaced my fuel pump, the tech states that the noise can be intensified by applying electrical load. I have also noticed at times and the tech confirms in the above mentioned notes that the noise turns off in Park. Today the droning noise did go off when I put the car in Park and on again when i put it in Reverse and I was able to duplicate that several times in the span of a few minutes. Anyhow, thanks for your continuing posts. I'll post again tomorrow after they try the second repair.
  • I bought a new 2006 Toyota Rav4 a few months ago. So far I have not heard any droaning noise but I do notice that there is a ticking from either the valve train or the fuel injection. Anyone else have this sound? My friend's Avalon doesn't make this sound.

Also, when I am backing into my driveway or parking spot and turn the wheel there is a knocking or popping sound from the front suspension. Anyone else know this sound? It is driving me crazy. Dealership says nothing wrong.
    Did I mention the sounds is making me crazy?

Sure love the V6 motor though....amazing.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Well your dealer must be in a time warp as there are lots of reports of popping or loud noise in various turns at low speeds. Lots of info on the web. No fix as far as I know so far.
  • My radio operates as you describe except for the ASL. When I get the ASL display if I turn the right knob clockwise, I get low, mid, high, & off and with each click a distinctly different sound. This is the base radio btw.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Consumer Reports states that in their driving experience with the 4cyl, the engine "drones" at moderate speeds but is not annoying on the highway. Based on the CR comment it appears that all RAV4 4cyl engines may be prone to some droning. Unfortunately, this may be a characteristic of the new RAV. This may not be the droning noise that some are experiencing, but it is food for thought. Good Luck.
  • Very interesting! Thanks for the reply.
    My Limited with the JBL system only has ASL on/off.
    :confuse:
  • Just got back from my local dealer and indeed the Type 1 and Type 2-1 have the additional LOW, MID and HIGH settings which the JBL - Type 2-2 does not have. The 3 ASL explanations are also correct in the User's Manual. Type 1 is on p170, Type 2-1 on p178 and Type 2-2 on p 179.
  • I recently purchased a 2006 RAV 4. I am having a problem with my cell phone charger. It appears to be too tight of a fit. When I try to remove it, it pulls the outlet out. The dealer suggested I find a smaller charger. I had a Toyota Previa before this and never had a problem. I thought all chargers are a standard size. In fact I did buy a new retractable one and still have the same problem on 2 of the outlets. I have not tried the 3rd outlet by the back door. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • I recently went to a Toyota dealer and he indicated that the droning noise is coming from the alternator. This is why the noise changes once there is an electrical load to the alternator (e.g., wipers, putting windows up, changing gears). He checked other new Rav4 on the lot and indicated that this noise was consistent with the others. The noise still seems loud to me, especially at lower noises. Hope this helps some...not sure if this is the answer, but it may help our problem solving mission.
  • I had a problem getting my cell phone charger into the outlet - it was a very tight fit so I did it very carefully and was so afraid to take it out that I left it in the outlet for a few days. I finally did take it out and it didn't pull the outlet out, but I was afraid it might. I kind of turned the charger a little before I pulled it out. I haven't put it back in yet, but am leary of doing so. The one in my 2004 RAV4 was no problem going in or out. The cupholders in my 2004 RAV4 also worked - I wish Toyota had left well enough alone and not redesigned the cupholders. Cups flop around in them - they are way to big.