Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy 4WD Problems

Comments

• unicorn747unicorn747 Posts: 12
    HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE WHEEL BEARING & HUB ASSEMBLY'S ON THE 2001 GMC JIMMY'S? FROM WHAT I'VE READ A FEW PEOPLE HAVE MADE COMPLAINT'S ABOUT THEM & IT SEEM'S AS THOUGH MY NEED'S REPLACING ALSO. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHY THIS MIGHT BE?? JUST CURIOUS! THANKS,UNICORN747
  • repairdogrepairdog Posts: 948
    All Blazers have the same issues and yes I did my 01 4wd at 90k miles both hubs , ball joints, and then the CV axle on one side went. My 98 2wd went at 100k then the other side at 120k. My guess is if the vehicle is or was in a salt used road area they will go faster as the salt get sucked in the back side of the wheel/rim and you can see the sealed bearing back in there - you can only seal it so well and with rough roads and conditions and GM did not overbuild these vehicles!
  • Hi, i have a 2000 jimmy with 105,000 miles and in the last 2 years the following has happened...A/C broke then Tranny went, gas gauge broke, then door seal-Front passenger leaks badly in the rain(otherwise its in garage), my tranny broke YES....a second time. Now radiator leaks and the 4wd isnt working. my hubby put the vac line back on when he noticed it had fallen off (putting in the tranny a second time) and it worked...well for a day now it doesnt. I push the 4hi button and both 4hi and 4lo blink and then it goes back 2hi by itself. Sometimes both 4hi and 4lo blink and stay lit and i can't get it to go back into 2hi..so i guess my question is WHAT"S NEXT???? what do i look for?(a new truck ..LOL)
  • Ive had same problems with the 4X4 in my 98 Jimmy... I decided to replace all rubber vacuum lines in truck to Syn-Flex lines which are plastic airlines usually made for airride systems in Long-Haul trucks. Worked like a charm but was very time consuming to replace all the fittings for the new style lines. However 70000k since and not one problem. with 4X4 , A\C or fuel mileage. hope this helps. Mobius
    Depends on case type but would guess a 3 button dash switch (No auto function) and if so a np233 transfer case and it has the vac switch on the drivers side of the transfer case and 3 sets of lines running down there - check them first then do a search in the posts for the many on fixing all 4wd problems.
  • dipstickydipsticky Posts: 1
    I just rebuilt my first tranny and have reinstalled it (4L60E) My dumb question of the day is, Is there a correct position for the 3 port vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case, or will any position do? It would seem that if it had to go in a particular orientation, the plug would be a unique shape.

The reason I ask is, I installed it once and when I test drove it, I thought I had something wrong internally. The car dragged in forward and wouldn't back up at all. I now suspect that it was the transfer case. Originally it all worked fine, just reverse was worn out. When I reinstalled the rear drive shaft, the TCase output shaft wouldn't turn, like last time. The transmission itself seems okay.
    The rubber vac top of the 3 port switch is keyed or has a distinct notch on it so only one way it fits correctly on the switch itself which just is screwed in till tight.
  • I have a 2000 Jimmy 4wd. When I start it, the 4wd error light comes on and never turns off. I don't have any leaking fluids, any strange noises, etc. Any help would be great.
    Could be many items so look thru the posts. Try a 30 min battery disconnect to reset the 4wd computer as first step. Look at the vac lines under hood for rot/breaks and replace as necessary 5/32".
  • vguidovguido Posts: 2
    i have a 97 jimmy while driving on the freeway it make a whining noise from the transfer case i will shift it into 4hi and back to 2hi and the noise clear up or if i dont hear it with the radio up when i slow down it get real load then stops when i stop.the light is always in 2hi and never changes. also my abs when i slow down to 5 mph the abs grab ive pulled the fuse, is there a fix for this i heard about cleaning the senors would work but just not sure. thanks
  • I had the exact same problem with the whining noise on my 95 blazer. Problem resolved by replacing the vacuum switch on top of the transfer case. It leaks down the vacuum, which causes the front axle to partially engage and moan/whine. The vacuum switch is a very inexpensive repair.
  • merandsmerands Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the exact problem with my 95 blazer. Can you please tell me how to replace the vacuum switch. I was unsuccessful in locating instructions on alldatadiy.com for this repair. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brad
    merands@aol.com
  • howie59howie59 Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 4x4 GMC Jimmy with auto 4 button switch that is stuck in auto mode and the ABS -brake is always on
    Things I have tried
    disconnected battery for 30 minutes
    repaired one disconted vacuum line near the intake manifold
    replaced both front wheel bearings/hubs

I have read most posts about this and dont know what to do next
  • Auto 4x4 light,2H,4H and 4L lights flash in the dash often. Seems like engine will stall for a quick second then the service 4x4 light flashes on and sometimes stays on. Also noticed clicking sound from right hand lower kick panel when the 4x4 lights flash. 4x4 will engage when buttons are pushed. Have already replaced right front ABS sensor, tried other encoder motor and problems still occur-PLEASE HELP! :confuse:
  • Everything works like it should,but where the cable pulls
    on the front axle to lock it in nothing happens.I tried
    to manually put it in but it still doesn't work.Was wondering what couldbe wrong inside the front differential
  • OK today i feel really stupid after months of wondering what the heck happened and why the 4 wheel drive stoped working i decided to go down the line and check the fuses well apparently fuse 19 was bad which works the 4wd switch box i guess i changed the fuse and i now see the lights light up and i can feel it kick on when i put it in 4LO
    But amm wondering i had some help from a friends we lifted all 4 wheel up using 1 jack in the front and 2 jacks in the back
    got all 4 wheels of the ground i wanted to just see if the 4 wheel drive works still and i dont understand how come the front wheels dont spin is it something that is just because it has to be on the ground will the Front wheels not spin or engage if the jimmy is not on the ground or is something still wrong check the vacuum lines everything seems to be fine cant think of what the problem could be please help thank you
  • cacyrccacyrc Posts: 1
    We got a part (4wd switch) from an auto salvage yard because we thought it would fix the issue of the buttons being stuck. When we connect the part you can push the 4wd buttons in but now they do not light up as they used to. We are guessing that we just got another bad part. We also checked the fuses and they are fine. Does this sound like the problem to you too?

Thanks!
  • Are you trying to change from 4WD to 2WD when you are driving?

I think its safer, if you pull over, put it in neutral, and change over to 2WD or 4WD.

Mine jimmy's at about 150miles, 250kms, and my truck shifts from 2wd to 4wd to 4wd low perfect, I just keep replacing the trasfercase fluid every summer...its easy and so cheap to do.
  • I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy w/145k

When you engage 4WD High, while rolling in 2WD Drive, it has a brief delay and you can "Feel" and hear it engage, but when you go back to 2WD, while rolling in 4WD Drive, it seems to wind out like it's in a Low Gear and seem to hear/feel mechanical "Grinding" then almost a loud bang and it goes back into 2WD and drives normally.

I would almost think whatever engages or disengages the different modes is not doing so completely.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone
  • I have a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLS with 130,000 km. It will not shift into 4Hi, Auto4wd or 4Lo. The TCCM has been checked and it is OK, and the shifter motor is OK and the transfer case shifts... BUT... when I push any of the buttons, the lights just flash and flash for a couple of minutes, and you can feel like it is attempting to shift, but it never happens and eventually the vehicle goes back to 2Hi. I don't know what else could be the problem if it is not the transfer case, shifter motor, or TCCM.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.