Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy 4WD Problems

Comments

• I,m stumped

Ok I took my truck to a steep dirt hill to see if the 4wd actually works.

I stopped at the bottom put my truck in neutral pushed the 4-low
    button heard the klunk sound like it engaged. The 4-low light stayed on I put it in drive and started up the hill got to a place where the back wheels were spinning I opened the door to see if the front wheels were spinning too but they weren't.

So I had to back down the hill put it in neutral pushed the 4-hi button it lit up so I tried the hill again same thing no spin from the front wheels. So what next?
  • The cable from the 4wd actuator to the differential is rusted out. Does anyone know where I can get one other than the dealer? I checked rockauto and ebay but couldn't find it.

Thanks
  • I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4 door 4wd with 102,000 miles. About 2 wks ago I heard a "hum" coming from the front end when driving. Soft at first then increased slowly. In the past when I heard the hum, the hub and bearing have been replaced (all 4 around once, the 2 front again).

I went to get an inspection sticker and got rejected for safety reasons. I was told at the garage that they knew it was the h & b because they were able to move the tire (the truck was on a lift just off the ground) left/right when they grabbed it and it shouldn't do that. I was told not to drive it. A second opinion told me a tire that can be shaken left/right is either a tierod or sway bar. I also want to mention the front end is out of alignment.

I am afraid to drive it, but truly have not other means of transportation. I thought I smelled something burning when I got out of it earlier but am so hyper-aware that there is an issue, I am not sure. :blush:

Any suggestions on how best to proceed would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • fishel9294, it would help if you created a new thread with your question, and not post in someone elses thread. You aksed a completely unrelated question to the original posters question. This is called hijacking a thread. :surprise:

Don't worry, I have accidentally done this too!!! You will get a answer quicker if you create a new thread. Good luck with your problem
  • sorry
    reposted
    thank you
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    You will get a answer quicker if you create a new thread.

Not necessarily. Many members use the My Watched Items forum tool and subscribe to certain discussions and miss new ones.

CarSpace is a conversation based forum and the more general discussions (like Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair) have threads that meander all over.

Just different strokes. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I see that now... still trying to get used to this forum. It is a different beast! ;)
  • Weve been having a clunking noise in the front by the passenger side. we have been told it is the lower front ball joint. we were driving on the high way after having our ball joints greased , we started hearing a loud noise that sounded like a pop can on a bicycle tire. as we slowed down the noise slowed down with it and as we sped up the noise did. We took it to a shop they took the tire off, said it was the differential and we wanted a second opinion. drove it away and have not heard the pop can noise since, just the clunking still when we stop, turn and go over bumps. if anyone one can help,

Thanks DJ
  • Hi,
    My 4 wheel drive will not work on my 1995 GMC jimmy. Mechanic said it was the cable. I have no idea, so I go on the intenet and buy a ACDELCO US 15721261 Trans Shift Cable
    4wd ; 4-speed At (m30) ; Chevrolet (x88) ; Gmc (z88); Years:1995-1996; Per Car Qty:1; from Bestvalueautoparts. You quessed it WRONG cable.

My mechanic said the cable is about 18" to 24" long. Thats it no other info.

Does any one here have an idea what cable I need and where to get it?

Thnaks for any info
    Frank
  • Also my 4 wheel drive is not the button style. Its the shifter type if that helps.

Thanks Again ,
    Frank
  • Hi,
    My 4 wheel drive will not work on my 1995 GMC jimmy. Mechanic said it was the cable. I have no idea, so I go on the intenet and buy a ACDELCO US 15721261 Trans Shift Cable
    4wd ; 4-speed At (m30) ; Chevrolet (x88) ; Gmc (z88); Years:1995-1996; Per Car Qty:1; from Bestvalueautoparts. You quessed it WRONG cable.

My mechanic said the cable is about 18" to 24" long. Thats it no other info.

Does any one here have an idea what cable I need and where to get it?

Thnaks for any info
    Frank
  • jessejesse Posts: 3
    2000 gmc jimmy wont shift into 4 wheel lo high or auto...the lights on the push buttons just flash then kicks back into 2 wheel high...i dont have a clue can anyone help
  • I have a 2000 Jimmy which did the same thing, First thing is look under the hood, in the middle of the fire wall is a vacuum switch, check and see if all the rubber hoses are connected and you do not have a vacuum leak. then check your push button cluster o your dash, mine was bad and needed changed out. After I did all of that mine works great with no problems. Good Luck my friend
  • caryb1caryb1 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I did that exact same thing two days before I received your comments. My acuator valve (switch) under the hood was gone. The way I tested it was I taped the two hoses (that go to the switch) together and went into the vehicle and tried the switch again. Worked like a charm. Then I went and bought a new valve/switch and it is still working. Thanks to everyone for their help. I just hope this info helps someone else. Best site every.
  • jbagzjbagz Posts: 3
    i have a 1999 GMC Jimmy 4wd 4 door, i was driving to work when i heard a noise that was getting louder that the stereo. I turned the radio off and listened, at low speed say 10mph it is a clicking/grinding noise, if i put the vehicle in 4wd the noise imediatly stops, when i switch back from 4wd to 2wd decel, then acelerate again the noise comes back, if i go 20mph or more the noise becomes a loud howling sound that gets very loud on decel, but once again if i click 4wd the noise imediatly stops. about 4 days prior to this happening i replaced the heater core, although i don't think there is anything i did to disrupt anything to cause this problem. I did notice that when taking sharp turns in 4wd i heard a clicking sound, so i jumped the gun and replaced the cv shaft on the passenger side cause that is where the noise was, i no longer have that clicking noise although the original problem sound is still there just as bad as it was in the first place. i hear wheel bearings are an issue although i would believe that when puting the truck in 4wd i should still hear the sound. any ideas would be helpful? thanks
    Jon
  • You may as well take it to the shop. Sounds to me like the small gear in your front differential is burred and now wont work right. (hence the noise)

Only way to fix it is to replace the gear and also the nylon washer in your front differential.

This problem can be caused by poor vacuum not pulling the cable all the way to fully engage or disengage the gear. once its burred it must be repaired. Also check to see if you have a vacuum problem.

Just my 2 cents. I had the same symptoms as you and that was my fix.
  • jbagzjbagz Posts: 3
    thanks for the info, to replace this gear does the dif case have to come out of the truck, or is it on the black housing going into the case with the electrical conector?
  • The gears are in the case. I am pretty sure the repair was done without removing the differential from the truck.

The only thing inside the black housing is the connection for the cable. Parts cost was under $250.00 and labor was under $150.00

Unless you have a working knowledge of the differential and parts involved I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.
  • lite is on on 2wd , push other 2 buttons 4wd lites dont come on or ingage 4wds.Its not the cable under the battery. Is there a fuse that controls this? If so where is it located?
  • Under the hood there is a vacuum switch in the middle of the fire wall. Check and see if all hoses are hooked to it. Mine was broken off, as soon as I connected it the 4 wheel drive worked. If that does not do it then have someone check the push button control pad, it could be bad also. Good Luck