Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• occarfanoccarfan Posts: 23
    I don't think Range Rover has a third row. But I could be wrong.
    The extra 10-15K is due to size and power. The GX is more often compared to BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, and Mercedes ML. It also has 72 hp less than the GL. My friend has a GX. He says the ride is great. Very Lexus. He does have trouble with the small 3rd row and the back liftgate opening like a door, which makes loading sometimes difficult. Also the seats can't fold flat, so you can't load much. I have the GL. I have 2 kids with baby seats (one in second row, one in third). In addition, we can get 5 adults in and out without moving the baby seats. What I like most about the GL is it can carry so many people in comfort, but doesn't look like a big SUV (Cadillac, Infiniti QX, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition). My wife has no problems driving and parking it. As far as gas mileage, it's about the same. We both get about 16mpg.
    I think it comes down to the brand. Lexus or Mercedes. I don't think you can make a wrong decision with either.
  • carabelcarabel Posts: 43
    If the extra money is never an issue, I'll pick the GL. It is nicer looking than the Lexus, and the MB brand is still traditionally looked at as the luxury brand. I just don't think a Lexus has made it there yet. The GL has more symmetry and balance to the design than the current GX Lexus design - my .02. But look at both very carefully. At this point in the price range, you want the car that suits you and your family best - not whether the 3 prong star brand looks better than the L - the star wins though logo wise.
    Good point, but I believe in this day and age, you need more than 300hp for large SUVs. But my wife only cares about the Mercedes brand. I like BMW but have bought 3 Mercedes since we married (5 yrs). Though I am looking forward to comparing next generation E-Class vs. BMW 5 series. I told her the next one's mine.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Err the Pilot is smaller then the GL. The GL is about a foot longer then the Pilot at 200.6 inches for the GL and 188 inches for the pilot.

The GL is also about 700 lbs heavier.

The Range Rover is not available with a Third Row and most likely never well be. The only third row equiped Land Rover is the LR3 and its third row is larger then the GLs for head and leg room but less for shoulder room because of the narrower track of the LR3.

GL450 vs Pilot VS LR3 HSE
  • carabelcarabel Posts: 43
    You're right about the GL size. I don't have that much cargo room in my Pilot. It is shorter. Somehow, the pilot feels roomier passenger wise. And yes the GL is heavier - why it needs the pull of a V8. Pilots are V6's. Thanks for the LR3 info on the 3rd row. I haven't seen the Rover up close and personal but will have a look. I always liked the Rovers - that is until the GL came along. But I never liked the Lexus GX - even now with the new design. As for the price of the MB GL - it really is the name you're buying.
  • I wasn't intending for everyone to get into a technical discussion about the Pilot - I simply made a comment that the GL's lines made it look like a larger Honda, which is not impressive IMO from a luxury manufacturer like MB.

Feature-wise, the vehicle is loaded, I'm just not sold on it's exterior styling - that's all I meant to say.
  • glfanglfan Posts: 13
    For leasing, GL is not overpriced at all. With $5k down, I'm paying about $750/month including tax with Premium + Navi + appearance package. A similarly equipped X5 costs close to $1k/month. Purchase will be an entirely different story. For those of us who lease, monthly payment, not the purchase price, counts the most.
  • vt256vt256 Posts: 11
    hey eights38, live in NJ and definitely can use your help . Looking for a GL320 CDI.
    thanks, sending you contact info privately. vince
  • sprtansprtan Posts: 6
    Thank you. The two points that you raise around the 3rd row (no fold flat and storage challenge) and the back liftgate were "form factor" concerns that I had raised when we went and test drove the GX.

That being said, the fact that both seem to get similar gas mileage tips the scale to the bigger engine for me (we live in a very hilly area). - Lee
  • coastal2coastal2 Posts: 10
    Hi everyone....I am a trying to buy a used GL450. The dealer is in FL and has a demo driven buy a manager for 63140 with about 5000 miles. P2 package, trailer hitch, rear camera, its loaded black with macd. interior. Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal? He told me this price on the phone..is it negotiable? and what about warrranty etc...and it doesnt have rear DVD which I really need for a 2yr old and 5yr in the back all the time. ASAP response would be greatly appreciated!! as I need to make a upurchase this week. thanks in advance
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    This price seems insanely high. I would price a new one at invoice with options and then deduct at least 15 cents / mile for the miles driven if truck has not been registered yet. And if the truck has been registered, then you need to take the usual depreciation hit and considered a used vehicle for all practical purposes. Use Edmunds resale value in that case.
  • coastal2coastal2 Posts: 10
    Thanks for your reply....how do I find out what the invoice price is? Is it available on Edmunds?
    I am not sure if it has been registered b/c its currently driven by a manager...i am so new to all this....
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    This is what edmunds does best. :) Click NEW CARS link on top and then browse over to Mercedes section and then GL and so on. The invoice price will be next to MSRP. Choose Price With Options to see the final price (both MSRP and Invoice) of vehicle with options.

Good luck.If I were you, I'd buy with fewer options but new one off the floor.
    coupedncal is right. That is way too much. You should be able to get what you're looking for new with DVD player for $63,000. Once you find out INVOICE for the model you want, you should be able to negotiate a price at or below invoice.
    I would never buy a demo. It's usually abused.
  • My 2 cents....

I agree with the previous poster's recommendation - you should price out a brand new one first and see where the invoice price lies between the price that they're offering you on the demo.

As for the mileage, I would recommend closer to 30 cents per miles.

If the demo was driven by the sales manager, I can (almost) guarantee that he "babied" it, as he knew all along that he'd have to turn around and re-sell it. If it was a service loaner, I'd say no way as only lord knows how many different drivers it encountered.

Demo's can be tough to negotite sometimes because the dealer looks at it as if it were still new instead of really looking at it for what it truly is - a used car.

The bottom line is this: If they won't sell you the vehicle for close to the deprecitaed value of a used car, but they'll sell it to you significantly lower than a brand new one, you should definitely consider it.

You'll definitely want to talk to them about how the warranty was affected and/or if they'll extend it on their dime or for their cost.
  • lindayalindaya Posts: 2
    i am a mother of 3 little ones (4 y/o, 3, and 10 months old) and need the 3rd row to be quite accessable. just checked out the Mercedes GL450 and loved it. The lease deal I have been offered is as follows:

Drive off fees total $2,236 (includes first month payment, dmv fees, acquisiton fee+tax); then $795.64 plus tax per month

for GL450 with prem 1 package, rear dvd, ipod kit, running boards.

Is this good? my other option is buying at approx $10,000 off mrsp

thanks for any advice!
    How long is the lease for? Pretty good price for a lease, but I like the option to buy at 10K off MSRP.
    One advice I have, no matter if you buy or lease, is to get the leather.
    The fake leather I have is horrible. It's constantly dirty and impossible to clean. It's not just my 2 girls, but even the driver's seat is constantly stained.
  • Anybody seeing any large discounts on these? Used SUV prices are dropping like a rock and I would think that dealers would need to start discounting heavily to make way for the 2009s. There are about 330 in dealer inventory within 30 miles of my house in Central New Jersey....The 09's start coming in in about 6 weeks.
  • lindayalindaya Posts: 2
    lease is for 33 months. with calif sales tax, the car prices out to $860/month with the 2200 drive off fees. still not sure...... is this a good price?