Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I posted about a week ago but got no responses about some of the deals posted here. I'm located in NJ but I used the dealer in MD that I bought my last car from. Here are the specifics. BTW, 2008 GLs, esp diesels are getting scarce so I would encourage anyone who wants one to at least find out what is out there. If the options/colors you want are not available, getting a 2008 may be moot.

2008 GL320CDI Black/Black MB Tex
    P1
    19" Wheels
    Running Boards
    Chrome Handle Inserts

MSRP: $63,300
    Got it for: $50,500
    Discount: $12,800

I'm happy with my deal. I've had it for 3 days and the GL is fantastic.
  • td_njtd_nj Posts: 10
    Like mojojojo, I'm in NJ, and went in to lease an '08 GL450 w/P1, RSE, heat pkg, keyless go, trailer hitch. Looking over the paperwork, the selling price is about $52,500 on a car w/MSRP over $68k. I tried a few other dealers and no one could come close - the guy I'm leasing my E350 from didn't even call me back.

The money factor on the lease, though, is way high (7.3%). For 36 mo., the lease payment is $749. But I can finance with a couple thousand down for roughly $815. I think that's a no-brainer. Any thoughts on whether the dealer will freak if I go in now and tell him "Forget the lease, I'll buy it?"
  • adatadat Posts: 9
    td_nj,

i dont know much about lease, so did not understand the residual, money factor etc in your post but anyways I am looking to buy one in NJ. Based on your post, are you saying that the dealer is willing to sell the car with MSRP 68k for 52k? if yes, can you please send me the dealer details.

I also live in NJ and so far the best deal I got is 55k for a 2008 car with MSRP of 68.5k.

Thanks in advance.
  • mbd2mbd2 Posts: 2
    I am planning to visit dealers for GL 450.
    Can you share city names of deals were madie if you dont' mind?
  • Wow! $51K?

Left a NJ dealer today and could only muster $63,736 off of a $68,085 2008 GL450. First visit though. Have yet to press the issue.

Would love to know dksung's dealer.....

Near a defunct horse race track?

Ivy League school?

Within view of Empire State Bldg?

We are all on the same team.

Thanks.
  • mbd2mbd2 Posts: 2
    I think you could get more off than you had ($6K around) in this
    troublesome economy.
    Re adat - Yep. It was $52,600. I ended up doing a lease at $749/mo instead of the buy. Money factor was higher than I expected, but I would have stretched myself a bit with the buy. Globe in Fairfield. I'm a Ray Catena customer ('07 E350 4Matic), but they couldn't do a 2008 GL deal anywhere near that price, so I went elsewhere.
  • adatadat Posts: 9
    Thanks td_nj for the details. I just pulled the trigger yesterday. I bought it for $54.5K for a 08 with MSRP $68.5K. The part of the deal which I did not like is the APR (3.9%). The dealer said that the 2.9% deal expired by Sep 03 and that this 3.9% is the new deal by MB. I am not sure if this true or not but anyways no point in thinking about it as I pulled the trigger now but the drive is awsome and the car is excellent.

by the way, is your lease $749/mo is including tax or exclueding tax?

Thanks.
  • mbzxmbzx Posts: 9
    td_nj, Can you please let me know the dealer's name? I bought my 08 ML320 CDI with a fairly good discount but you seem to have gotten a lot better deal for your GL than for my ML. I could use your dealer to purchase a new GL sometime next year. Thanks.
  • mbzxmbzx Posts: 9
    Oooops, td_nj, sorry about my previous post. I just re-read your posts and and realized that you had put the name in there. My apology...
  • lmorlmor Posts: 4
    What are your monthly payments? Where are yu located?
    That includes tax.

This thing is a beast - although maybe that's just my time behind the wheel of an E-Class talking. Big, although not clumsy big (although the backup camera doesn't have a wheel-track indicator - unforgivable). Acceleration is surprisingly good. My wife still pines for the E, which I drive now! Hey, she wanted 3rd row seats; she got 3rd row seats!
  • 99_528i99_528i Posts: 22
    I'm new to this forum, since I'm deciding between an X5 vs. GL450. My wife insisted on getting a real 3rd row seat and the X5 is more like a 2-1/2 row seat... I'm just surprised to read through some of the previous posts and found out these $14k off MSRP deals. Are these deals for real? There's typically a $5k spread between the invoice and MSRP, which means these deals are almost $9k below invoice??
  • 99_528i99_528i Posts: 22
    BTW, I'm in Northern California, any recommendations on dealers?
  • I am seeing remaining 2008 inventory averaging $10-12K below MSRP in the DC/MD/VA area. I imagine that could be pushed even more in the next week. But 2009 quotes are within that $5K margin you mentioned.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Just wondering which dealeships in the DC/MD area you have been shopping at? I have been looking on line and there doesn't seem to be any 08's in stock.
    Also, can anyone tell me the biggest difference between the 08's and 09's?
  • kennyyukennyyu Posts: 16
    The only difference betwin 08 and 09 is that 09 has slight bigger side mirrors and the navigation has become tolerable from pathetic. Otherwise they are identicle which means that they are solid great German SUVs if you can afford them.
  • kennymd,

You're right, supplies of 08's seem to be drying up now. Go to Hagerstown...they had at least half a dozen as of 10 days ago. And they seem to be a good group of folks to deal with.
  • alo2alo2 Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy the GL450 in December. I've bought at Laguna Niguel before and have gotten a good deal on the C-class. I know Fletcher Jones is a volume mover but I have never liked their sales people. I've been getting alot of phone calls from both dealers almost on a daily basis. Does anyone have any advice as how much below MSRP I can get the car for? I am looking at P2 package. Thanks!
  • fq1fq1 Posts: 47
    Can anyone post the November GL450 money factor and lease rates. Also, are there any incentives from MB on these vehicles? Any info would be much appreciated.
  • I would like to know more about how one can purchase a new car below MSRP, especially an 09 GL. Perhaps if you're not fussy about the color and options, they may be willing to make a deal. I agree, high-volume dealerships are the place to start. Fletcher-Jones are known for great deals. There are three MBZ dealers in So Cal known for offering better prices: Walter's Mercedes Benz in Riverside, South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, and of course Fletcher-Jones, as you have mentioned. I might suggest obtaining quotes from all three at the beginning of Dec, then perhaps approaching Laguna Niguel and asking if they can offer a better price. With the Winter Event, hopefully they'll be offering factory to dealer incentives at get us below that MSRP. I'm planning on purchasing the GL 320 at that time. I would like to hear your views and experience on this topic. Thanks again and best of luck!
  • 738 for 36 mo lease, 719 for 48 mo lease, but this is a dealership in Atlanta, GA according to a MBZ salespersons' blog, which cannot be posted here.
  • Anybody got new 2008 GL 320. I just got an offer of 7K off of MSRP of 65380. I was looking at 12500 off of MSRP like someone posted here before. Pl advise how much under can we get it for.

Vic
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,678
    Well I don't know how some of you got the spectacular deals you got. I shopped this around today and found dealers without a lot of stock and except for ray catena, there were no 2008's left. Didn't matter as I wanted the 2009. I put $1500 down on a $71,595 car. There's no security deposit and no lease acquisition fee so my driveaway costs are the down payment, MV fees and first month lease payment. My lease is $869 for 33 months and 15K miles per year. It's a good enough deal for me and I took it because the color (pewter) was what I wanted as was the interior color and it had rear seat entertainment. The deal works out to just over $900 when I take the down payment into consideration and I've never seen a deal that good on a near $72K MSRP vehicle on a lease that is less than the standard 36 months. I can still opt up to a 39 month lease at $839, a 42 month deal at $819 or a 48 month deal at $799. I'll decide that in the next few days, but in the meantime I deposited the car today. This replaces a GX470 which I leased for 2 and 3 year terms. Both GX's were great and as with most Lexus vehicles was flawless but 5 years was enough. I'm hoping MB reliability is a lot better than before as that always scared me off, but it's time to take a chance. This handles a lot better than the GX and is equally refined in ride and in inside luxury and I loved it the few times I've driven it in the past and on the test drive. I've just got to get used to all these MB placement of controls.
  • fq1fq1 Posts: 47
    Thanks for the detailed info. Could you please let us know what the Money Factor, residual and capitalized cost for the the different terms (33, 36, 39 months) of the lease were. Also, which dealer/salesperson did you use as I am also in the market and you seem to have gotten a pretty good deal. Did you have a previous relationship with the salesperson for gettng such a good deal?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,678
    If you have another lux car - Lexus or BMW mainly - drive it and make sure the salesman sees it. They are always trying to steal customers from each other. The moment they see you as very serious they'll reach a good deal with you quickly rather than endless negotiation. I don't have time for the latter anyway as I'm a quick dealmaker in everything I do as long as I get what I want. I'm also not a nickle and dimer. My actual price is $840 (I ended up changing to $2k down on a 33 month lease) and with tax works out to $912. Mercedes of Freehold. The Pewter color made the deal and the SUV had everything I wanted (PO2 + RSES). They seem to be rare in that color (I haven't seen one yet) and the GL looked great in that color. It takes on different color variations in different light. The national price right now is $739 (+ tax) on a 48 month deal with $5K down and $7K driveaway costs and only 10K miles a year on a $68k MSRP. I didn't want a long lease or a high DP.

Good luck with your shopping.
  • Just picked up a 2008 GL320 with ipod, P1, and hitch with some dealer-installed accessories (mudguards, chrome door handles, rubber mats, tinted front windows) for $48,000 plus tax. This is 13,500 off MSRP and 14,500 off if you include accessories. If you can still find one, most dealers are really trying to move these things.
  • I live in Southern California and just picked up a fully loaded 2009 GL 450 with premium 2, leather package, rear DVD, GL appearance package, and tow hitch from Mercedes of Long Beach. Real leather is hard to find and the dealer was happy to trade for the vehicle. MSRP was $75K and sales price was $68K. On a 36 month/ 7.5K mile per yr lease I am paying $835 a month (before tax) with $1500 drive off (includes first month payment). Extra miles factored into the lease were about 20 cents more per mile per year. I highly recommended the dealer. You can do the entire transaction by email and they have no problem matching and beating prices even if they don't have the car in stock.
  • bxm11bxm11 Posts: 1
    Congratulations on your purchase. What do you think of the leather vs. the MB-tex?
  • This is easy to do. Send out price requests for your car using edmunds.com "free price quote" . Your emails are automatically routed to the internet sales departments at your local dealers. Be sure to use a few zip codes (San Fernando Valley, South Bay, Orange County, Padadena) so you can get most of S. California. At the present time you can get just about any car, any color, with any options for a discount. I just leased an 09 GL 450 for more than $7000 below MSRP. There are great lease deals for 3 reasons: they are selling the car below MSRP, Mercedes iis setting a high residual lease value (so you pay less depreciation), and they are offering amazingly low interest rates on leases (about 3%). Be sure to include all of the specifics in your email to the dealers including color(s), options, and whether or not you are leasing or buying. If you are leasing, include the duration of the lease and the mileage per year. If you have excellent credit, let the dealer know that as well. Also be sure to ask the dealers to contact you by EMAIL ONLY or your phone will never stop ringing.