Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Lease Questions

Comments

• My lease proposal is in for the GL450 and there are some fees I hope people can let me know if they are written in stone (are any of them written in stone)

Doc Fee $599

Rental Surcharge $60.00

Tax on Doc $35.94

MBCC Lease Acc Fee $1095

The fees above to me seem bogus. Some of the others are smaller (all under $50 or so) but these are the most substantial and seem super high to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil
  • heffneil,

The lease acquisition fee should be $795 - looks like they marked it up $300- pay no more than the published $795.

A $599 Doc fee is ridiculous!! Here in California, dealers are capped at $55 for the doc fee. I'd advise shopping more dealers so that your dealer has some competition.

What are they capping the cost at on your vehicle? How much over or under invoice? What state or zip code are you in so I can check your lease incentives?
  • He quoted me a price that was $400 above his "true invoice" I asked for $400 below that to get the invoice price I saw on edmunds and cars direct. The MF is .00155 and residual he quoted was 63% after 33 months with 10,000 miles. I bumped it up to 15k miles.

Originally I wanted the 550 but the MF was SO bad on it I couldn't see spending almost $500 a month more for practically the same vehicle (comparably equipped) with just a little smaller of an engine and a 0 to 60 time of .2 seconds less.

Thanks for the help and I do believe this guy is trying to pull one over on me now.

He is telling me "The bank fee is added to the cap instead of collecting it up front."

Which is odd since I thought the Cap Cost was what we agreed upon 400 below his "true invoice"

Thanks!

Neil
  • The bank fee/acquisition fee can be either paid upfront in your drive offs or capped into the lease. Many dealers WILL structure the lease with the bank fee rolled in, but you can and should pay it upfront.

The invoices from Edmunds, KBB and CD won't match because of a regional advertising fee. It's legit as it's itemized on the invoice from the factory.

The mf and residual you were quoted are both correct.

Basically, pay them only the $795 bank fee, and get them to shave down that horrendous doc fee!! Makes me sick to see dealers charging that kind of money to "process paperwork."
  • Sorry I am in Southwest Florida 34109.

Neil
  • He said the acquisition fee can't be changed but he would take another $300 off the price of the car. The doc fee was outrageous. I never heard of such a thing.

The deal is:
    $1898.36 up front
    and $1037 a month for 33 months with 15k miles.

I don't know if there is a fee at turn in. What is the practice here?

MSRP of the vehicle is $76,110
    Selling price $70,840

Also the payment above includes the tax 6%.

Any thoughts on this "deal" ?

Thanks,

Neil
  • Okay,

I ran the numbers and they are spot on assuming the cap cost @ $70,840 + $1095 bank fee + 6% sales tax = $1037/mo. If they charge you the proper bank fee of $795, payments would be $1026/mo. If you pay the bank fee as part of your drives, your payments would be $1000/mo.

The cap cost looks good as it's right around invoice. Your mf is MBC's current buy rate, and the residual for 15k-mi is 60%.

Dealer is FOS if he's telling you that you can't pay the bank fee upfront. Btw... it's no secret what the bank fee is, it's clearly written on MBUSA.com. Take that to the dealer and show it to him

The turn in fee is $595.

Bottom line: Deal looks pretty good, I would just be aggressive on lowering that doc fee and getting the proper bank fee. There is nothing wrong with the dealer making a small profit, but to "pack" your bank fee and charge you an exorbitant doc fee is ridiculous!

My advice: Have them keep the cap cost the same (after they lowered it), charge you only $795 for the bank fee, and have them cut the doc fee at least in half. That will give them a few hundred dollars profit.

Dealers should not expect to hold gross on models that aren't moving, especially on the GL and thus why they offer lease specials.

Let me know how you make out.
  • Is the turn in fee non-negotiable? I emailed the dealer who I drove the car with and said I didn't feel like going through the back and forthness. Honestly I am prepared to walk away. We will see what she comes back with. Supposedly in Naples this car is HOT. Meanwhile they had plenty on the lot so who knows. I would jump on the 550 if they could just do the same lease rate. It would make my year :)

Neil
  • I was looking at the GL-450 4matic all wheel w/12K yr
    The GL is priced at just about $57,000

I want a 36mth lease or something around that.

Can someone tell me the best lease that I should be looking for?

Thanks
    Martin
  • mssurreymssurrey Posts: 48
    ocautoseeker-

I'm looking at leasing a GL (diesel or gas) but I have an advantage of obtaining a MB family discount through my brother which equals 12.25% off the MSRP.

I'm looking for a 'zero down' deal where I only pay the first month and any bank fee ($795? from above post) at signing for a 27 month lease (as this seems to be the sweet spot according to MB or a 33 month lease) with 12 or 15K miles per year.

What are the residuals and MF for these mileages and lease terms?

Also, can I still expect to negotiate any further on the cap cost and whether there are any 'incentives' (eg bonus, cash back etc) available on the GL at this time?

Finally, what 'fees' can I expect (and be able to negotiate on) ?

Thanks for your help ocautoseeker
  • For the GL450, 33 months is the best term on this vehicle right now.

33 mo - Residual - 59% (15k-mi) - .00155 Base Rate
    (Add 2% for 12k-mi, add 3% for 10k-mi)

A 12.25% discount is very aggressive on this vehicle!

Let me know what state you live in and/or your local tax rate and I'd be happy to figure your lease payments based on the terms above. I need the MSRP.
    I leaning towards the 320 CDi (diesel) due to its better fuel economy 18mpg as compared to 13 mpg city (for the 450)

I was old that there is a 27 month deal as well - perhaps you can let me know on both the 27 and the 33 month deals? I'm looking at 12K miles p.a. with Zero down (other than first month and bank acq fee).

Tax = 6%
    MSRP (inc all options required) is $68,415
    Cap cost = $60,034 ? (less MB family disc of 12.25%) - any adevrtising fees or cash bonus etc to be deducted ?
    Acq fee = $795
    Doc fee = $ ?
    Registration fees = ?

I don't think a security dep or disp fee is required as I am a present MBF customer
    and will be going from one MB into another.
  • loh1320loh1320 Posts: 1
    I am in WV, the local dealer has quoted a higher MF and lower residuals than have been posted on this site. Are the MF and residuals standard through out the country?
    Is there an official MB site that lists the MF & residuals? Do the MFs go up when the slow winter season (January-March) in the North is past? Historically what happens to the MF & residuals when the next years models come out? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
  • Are you looking for a GL450 or 550, as the there are NO special rates on the 550.

Rates can vary from region.

Money factors typically change month-to-month. Residuals typically change quartely (not always), but the later in the model year, the lower the residual as the vehicle gets closer and closer to a full years depreciation.

Special financing, leases, rebates, marketing support etc. are all indications that sales are down for a particular vehicle. Hence, the specials that entice consumers to buy or lease.

Auto sales is a market driven industry.

Here are MBC's buy rates and current residuals:

* 2008 GL320 CDI
    24 Month – Residual 62% – .00155
    36 Month – Residual 54% – .00175
    48 Month – Residual 46% – .00175
    60 Month – Residual 40% – .00320

* 2008 GL450
    24 Month – Residual 63% – .00155
    36 Month – Residual 56% – .00175
    48 Month – Residual 44% – .00175
    60 Month – Residual 39% – .00320

* Based on 15k annual miles. Add 2% for 12k, add 3% for 10k.
  • Is the MSRP you gave me on the 450 or the 320 CDI? I ask because the residuals differ by 1%.

Numbers based on 12k annual miles for a 33 month term.

For a GL 450, your payments would be $764.16/mo. (includes tax)

For a GL 320, your payments would be $785.01/mo. (includes tax)

~ drive off fees: $764.16 (1st mo. pymt) + $795 (MB lease acq. fee) + ~$525 (DMV Fees) + ~$100 (misc.local fees such as tire fee, doc fee, electronic dmv filing fee, etc.)

~ $2200 due at signing. All or some of the above can be rolled into your lease payments.

All the information I have points to 33 months being the most advantageous term.
    MSRP was based on the 320 cdi

Thanks for the info.
  • Just wanted some input from some of the knowledgeable people on here.

I was thinking of leasing a 450 GL
    MSRP: $66170
    Cap Cost $62335
    33 month term
    MF: .00155
    61% Residual

Total comes out to $825 a month w/o taxes. Taxes are $2348 Acq fee $795

Can you tell me if
    1. you think this is a good deal
    2. If I rolled in the taxes and acq fee and only paid about $1000 up front, what should my monthly payments come out to then?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this soon if it seems reasonable.
    Thanks in advance.
  • What state do you live in? What's your local sales tax rate?
  • I live in NY. Tax is 8.625%
  • With tax and acquisition fee capped into your lease, you'd be at $923/mo and would pay 1st month payment + dmv fees at signing. With taxes capped in, but acquisition fee paid upfront, you'd be at $896/mo and would pay 1st month + dmv fees + acq fee upfront.

Based on the money factor being utilized, for every $1k that they could knock off, your payments would drop ~$35/mo. The cap cost they quoted you appears to be about $400-$500 over invoice. Certainly not a bad deal, but you might try and see if they'll cap the cost at invoice or maybe go $500 back (below invoice).

In regards to Grandprix, it's certainly an option, but just take into consideration the price of your vehicle in comparison to the member who posted that they leased for $750/mo. His vehicle could have been less expensive, or he may have leased when there were additional incentives such as bonus lease cash etc.

The numbers being quoted to you are MBC's base numbers and I don't know of another leasing source that can match the residual and/or money factor on this particular lease.

Best of luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.