Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners Problems & Solutions

14567810»

Comments

• I'm scheduled for dealer service shortly. Have 49k on my 2009 TCH (purchased in 2008) and have two main concerns.

I have found 2 small spots of rust on the top of the car. My son pointed it out to me. They are small, but it is rust on a relatively new car. My TCH is white. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did they repair it?

There is extremely loud "road type" noise from the rear wheels, mainly on the right hand side. Have brand new tires, up to date maintenance, etc. But this is prevalent between 45-60mph. I was told it could be a wheel bearing. Does anyone have any idea?

Still getting great gas mileage but I'm not sure if I'll keep the TCH much longer.
  • I am having the exact same strong "chemical smell" odor problem with my '07 TCH. I am curious to know what was the final resolution?
  • pat85pat85 Posts: 92
    I traded a 2003 4Runner V-8 with Sport package that got 15 MPG in town and on the road. (actually took it off road on the NC Outer Banks) for a 2009 TCH.
    I really liked the 4Runner. The TCH gets close to 35 MPG in Town and over 40MPG on the road. We had so much snow last year, I really wished I'd kept the 4Runner. I had no complaints with my 4 Runner. The TCH is boring by comparison. There is at least as much cheap plastic in the TCH as on the 4Runner. I think you might miss your 4Runner if you trade it on a TCH.
  • I am the unhappy owner of a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid- has anyone any advise /suggestions for me about the following problem- on 3 occasions I have come home from travel to find my car sitting at the airport with a dead battery (2 times after 7 and 5 days) or parked at home with the same deadness.
    One Toyota mechanic suggested that this is standard for this car- if that is true Toyota is in for a ground swell of unhappy owners as well as for a class action attorney's dream case. I welcome some help here
  • Very odd behavior! I have a 07TCH and have not driven it for up to 12 days without battery issues (including the winter here in MI). The only time it discharged was after I had the remote start installed - the battery would run down, but there was a service bulletin that was published regarding this and the problem was fixed (over 2 years ago), and no problems since then. It is NOT standard for this (? or any) car. Good luck.
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Posts: 194
    Which battery was dead? The 12v that powers the electronics or the traction battery?
  • hmac1hmac1 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2008 Certified Lexus IS 250 from a dealer in the S.F. Bay Area.
    It too has a really strong chemical smell. I didn't notice it until I had it a couple of days. I took it back to the dealer and they said they did the ionization treatment for a day and a half.

When I got it back, it had more of a saddle soap odor, like a leather treatment. However, after 4 days the original chemical smell is coming back with a vengeance. It's actually nauseating after being in the car a short time. I keep the windows and sunroof open when not driving it - to no avail.

Did you ever find the source of the smell?
    Thanks.
  • We are having the same problem. We live in a downtown area and also work near where we live. We often go close to a week without driving. We also have the 2009 Camry Hybrid. We are now having problems when we let it sit more than a couple days. Their only suggested solution is to drive it more! We are trying to be green and Toyota is not helping. Did you find a solution?
  • fredo48fredo48 Posts: 11
    Well, I believe it was the traction battery as I had to "jump it" to get going.
  • We have to jump it every time too. Have you found no permanent solution?
  • I can't even believe what I'm reading right now! We thought we'd google Toyota Camry Hybrid Odor for the heck of it, and here we are!!! I have a 2009 TCH that i purchased brand new end of 2008. I drive 100 miles 5 days per week plus weekend trips from NJ to PA. The smell started about one month ago. We tore the car apart thinking there was an apple hidden somewhere under a seat, in trunk, under seat covers, floors, everywhere!!! took everything from the inside and washed it. The smell is not going away..

I happened to call my dealership service dept to see if they could check it out tomorrow... we figured the battery may be going bad. Of course, if it's not the battery, they charge $99 just for the inspection (who knows what they would tell me is wrong with the car if they're not owning up to this!!) I've been out of work due to health issues... now I need to check for this chemical poisoning!! WTF??
  • I purchased my 2009 THC new in June of 2008 and live in a mountain state which I travel mostly on hills daily. I now have 111,000 miles on it. I have always had my car serviced every 5,000 miles at a Toyota dealership.
    I have never had to replace the front brakes but did have the front rotors resurfaced in September 2011. Living in the mountains I thought this has been a great positive for the THC since other cars I am having brakes replaced every few months.
    When I went for my oil change 2-14-12 I found out I needed my back brakes replaced which was $120.99 including labor and tax. While doing my oil change they noticed that something had sprayed on the underside of my car hood and also there was a pink crust build up around the water pump and the anti-freeze was lower than normal. To be on the safe side since I do travel a lot I let them replace this as well which was $485.59 including labor and tax..... With all of that said, when you mentioned a smell in your car and looking for an apple. The guy that showed me the water pump and the build up due to the water pump being bad also said that some times the inside of the car will have a sweet smell to it. So, you may want to have that checked out if you are still having this issue.
  • My girlfriend owns a 2011 Camry. The battery goes dead after 3 days when it is parked with a fully charged battery summer or winter. Up here it is -40 F. so this is a safety issue in the winter. You come to your car and it won't start at -40 you could end up with hypothermia. Toyota solution is to tell her to drive the car more. She can't because she is a flight attendant and she is gone for 3-4 days at a time. Toyota dealership sure has not been very helpful!! She has been back a 1/2 dozen times. I will never recommend a Camry to anyone based on the treatment she got from the dealership. Has anyone come-up with a solution to this chronic problem in Camry's.?
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Posts: 28
    edited January 2013
    My mother has a 2008 Avalon that had that same problem. Our local Toyota dealer said the same thing, to drive it more, which is a load of croc. The owner of the Toyota dealer where my sister lived said to bring it to them. They had it for almost a week and came up with the answer. The autodimming mirror was wired backwards at the port where the car came in, which I think was Houston. The mirror was constantly on when the car was off draining the battery. After the mirror was wired correctly, the car battery has not died, and by the way, my mother drives an average of 10 miles a week. She has become the little old lady that only drove her car to church on Sunday. Hope this is what your solution turns out to be.
  • bbillinbbillin Posts: 11
    I needed to change my air filter and went to the dealer with the car model number and engine size, 2.4L. They looked in the computer and gave me a filter which is too small. But the current one I have does not have a number on it and I don't see one in the manual.

The new one the dealer gave me is #17801-0H050 which is not wide enough.

Anyone know what the model number should be for the 2009 Camry Hybrid 2.4L engine?

Thanks,

Barb
  • Seem to be having the same issue. Did the dealership resolve your problem? What did they say the cause was?
  • tazza3tazza3 Posts: 1
    Camry Hybrid, stops at random. Have to sit for 10-15mins before restarting the car. Toyota (dealer omited) told us the error codes need removal was done and that should fix it. Did but less than 24hrs it started again. Hyrbid is being used for taxi work high millage, this is not a low millage car. ANYONE else have this trouble what did you find was the cause? PLEASE we don't have a lot of money to keep pouring into this car. Others with this problem in the taxi fleet have been charged up to $10k without fixing the issue (another toyota dealer).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,064
    tazza3 said:

Camry Hybrid, stops at random. Have to sit for 10-15mins before restarting the car. Toyota (dealer omited) told us the error codes need removal was done and that should fix it. Did but less than 24hrs it started again. Hyrbid is being used for taxi work high millage, this is not a low millage car. ANYONE else have this trouble what did you find was the cause? PLEASE we don't have a lot of money to keep pouring into this car. Others with this problem in the taxi fleet have been charged up to $10k without fixing the issue (another toyota dealer).

What error code are you getting? That will help narrow down what's going on.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

14567810»