Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners Problems & Solutions

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Sounds like you are just not turning the car off and it's sitting there with the Power on all night until the next day.

Review the manual on proper ways to power on and power off the car.
  • I thought that too the first time. I took it immediately over to the dealer (about 6 miles away) on the Saturday occurrence. They found that the battery was fully charged. In addition the power was fine, when it would not start, air blowing from the a/c, interior lights worked, etc. The only exception was that the stereo did not work.

I think I am following the correct sequence to shutdown the car. Press start button to turn off. I also made sure the lights were off.
    Do you have the keyfob with the alarm controls?

Here's a test:

If, after powering off and exiting the car, you can activate the alarm with the fob, then the car is Powered off.

The alarm will not activate if the car is turned on.
  • I did not have the car between Monday and Wednesday. The dealer found no problems.

The car is shutting down properly. I do not have the alarm controls on the fob, but the door's lock etc. The car is shutdown.

The car would not start today (Friday Morning). The dash light act as if it is in auxiliary mode. I did video tape the start this morning to show the service people at the dealer. The car was towed to the dealer so they can work on it.

Owned it 9 days, (4 days in the shop and driven it a total of 4 days.)
  • I love my new Camry Hybrid. I also have a 04 4Runner so blizzards and tire traction in bad weather don't concern me. I have one issue with the Camry. When running you can't program the NAV system. That's crazy! When travelling the passenger s/b able to do that. I saw a blog (not sure if it was this site) where someone described the button combos for overriding that behavior.. essentially it shuts off the NAV system "in motion lock". Does anyone know how to do that?
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    The overide does not work on nav. disc version 6.1.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    The Camry Hybrid has its own board, so why are these postings in the general Camry section?
  • Because the Edmund's site is messed up? This is under the "Toyota Camry Hybrid Maintenance & Repair" board the way I read it. There seems to be different ways to get to the boards and what you see depends on how you enter !?!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Talmy hit the nail on the head. There are many different ways to get to the same place.
    If you use the Browse By Vehicle search tool to look for discussions on the Camry, that will include discussions on the TCH under that umbrella. :shades:

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Manual leaves out a setp. Rolling code requires to set the button to the handheld control AND then set it again using the learn button on the opener.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
    To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.

Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car red light starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute. (In a few cases, some make cars require the keys to be in the ignition, or the car motor must be running, or the car door must be shut)
    Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, red light flashes rapidly. this sets the in-car transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
    Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually next to the area where the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and an indicator light flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board, and is a red, green or purple square button with a green, amber or purple indicator light. Press this learn button momentarily. The indicator light will turn on and blink if Genie or otherwise stay lit. Go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener.
  • I'm considering one for family driving, mostly around town. Considering any problems you've had and your dealers/Toyota's response, would you recommend this vehicle?
  • abc126abc126 Posts: 2
    the manual says to take it to the dealer when it blinks and stays steady, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset it? the tire pressures are fine
    thanks in advance!
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Is the spare tire part of the system, and if so, did you check its pressure?
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    The reset switch is inside the glove box, on the left. With the power switch set to ON, press the reset switch until the TPMS dash warning light blinks 3 times slowly. Then leave the power ON for several minutes to complete the reset.

If the warning light won't blink 3 times, take it to the dealer. These are new systems. They still have bugs.
  • abc126abc126 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 camry hybrid and I can't seem to find any power switch inside the glove box. I appreciate your help though.

210delray, I the spare is not part of the system.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Assuming you have a US model (are Canadian models different?), the switch is not inside the box. It's on the lower left, just outside of it, with the door open. It's easier to feel than see.

Your manual has a picture of its location and complete instructions.
  • skiba1skiba1 Posts: 3
    When I use the auto temp, I seems to get better gas mileage. Is this really true,or is this my imagination? Also I seem to get better gas mileage,without the cruise control.True? I have a TCH o7
  • I have a 2007 TCH. Just in the last week I've been having trouble powering off the car once parked. :sick: I've had the car for almost a year and this has never been a problem. After placing the vehicle in park, I keep my foot on the brake and depress the power button. I then release the brake and attempt to exit the vehicle. Once I open the driver's door the car turns itself back on into what appears to be the accessory mode. I then close the door, depress the brake, turn the car on again and repeat the power off process and it usually works. Although, it's becoming more stubborn and two days ago I couldn't get it to turn off at all.

I contacted my local dealer and they seemed only to be concerned with my ability to actually drive a car, (highly offensive). :mad: Even my three year old has noticed the ongoing problem and asks, "What's wrong with this car!?!" :confuse: I dropped it off with the dealer yesterday. It did the exact same thing to the service advisor, but when the master tech tried to replicate the issue, while hooked up to the computer, no go. At least I have a believer in the service advisor himself.

Here's what I have noticed, but I can't seem to determine if it's related. I live in Las Vegas where it's quite hot, now. I like to leave the moon roof in the tilted open position so there's a little ventilation while parked in the sun. I've done this for months, this is nothing new. However, the car doesn't like that I do this and gives me a reminder message telling me it's open. I usually ignore the message and continue on my merry way, but I'm wondering if it could be related somehow.

Also, I keep the A/C in the Auto and ECO at all times. Whenever the car malfunctions it always turns itself back on without A/C or ECO and the front defroster button starts flashing.

Please, Please does anyone have any input? The dealer says that they will keep it until the issue is resolved, but I'm not so sure that will happen. :lemon: ?
    I can't help you with the main problem, but leaving the moonroof tilted open and the a/c in the auto and ECO modes shouldn't make any difference.

In my non-hybrid Camry, I always leave the moonroof tilted open also when parked, except of course when it's going to rain.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    I would have to go out to the garage to try it, but I do not think I have my foot on the brake when I shut the car down.....Foot on the brake to start the car,yes, or two pushes of the start button with foot off brake will also start the car. I do not think shutting the car down requires you to have your foot on the brake. Having your foot on the brake to shut down may even confuse things. Maybe this is all wrong and I have my foot on the brake to shut down but I do not think so. Have had the car almost a year now and these things are kind of automatic.....anyway hope this helps.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Posts: 63
    Hope thi helps. I have a 09 Camry Hybrid. The card titled Starting / Stopping Hybrid System & Switching Igntion On/Off" says:

2. "Carry the key, simply press the button. Do not depress the brake pedal."

Even shows a little picture of the foot "not" on the brake.
    Does anyone know how to reset the oil change reminder after the oil is changed?
  • kperskykpersky Posts: 2
    My husband bought a new 2007 Camry Hybrid over a year ago. The interior smell is so overpowering it's difficult to ride in the car for long. He leaves the windows open overnight while the car is parked in the garage. Also, we live in San Diego so we are able to ride with the windows open. Still, after his 30 minute commute home his clothes smell like the interior of the car, and our garage smells this way. It is not new leather smell (although the interior is leather). It's a powerful, chemical smell. We talked to the dealer and they replaced the filter but this did no good. Any ideas???
    I would find a day I can do without the car and let the dealer have it an encourage him to let one of the salespeople with the longest commute take it home.

After they experience the smell just the same way YOU are dealing with it, then they might be more willing to help you trace the cause.

My guess it that it can't be HEALTHY if it is that overpowering.

Regardless, I would insist the dealer find out the source of the smell. You might can get a new TCH out of this deal if they cannot locate the problem.
    I had a 04 Mercedes C Class with a sort of rotten smell a few years ago. The dealer had a process where they sanitized the air system. This took about 4 hours.

Had the same problem in a 98 Grand Cherokee. The Jeep dealer did the same thing to fix it. I also live in California near San Francisco so maybe the coast (moisture) adds to the problem.

I think it was caused by moisture in the system. Can you describe the smell? Mine would get stronger with just fresh air and no air cond on.

I have noticed a slight rotten smell a couple of times on my 09 Cmery Hybrid. It did go away.

You should go right to the service manager, this problem can happen in any car. There may even be a TSB on this problem. It happens in a lot of cars.

Check this site:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_fix_a_car_air_conditioner_that_puts_out_a_- bad_smell_for_2-3_minutes_when_you_first_turn_on_the_air_conditioner
    Details are in your owner's manual.
  • sheldo1sheldo1 Posts: 64
    Anyone have problems with a humming noise when you use the AM band of the radio? I have this very annoying noise at certain frequencies only.
  • nkaizernkaizer Posts: 25
    I've got a 2009 TCH with the 16 inch 8 spoke aluminum wheels and 215 60 R 15 tires. I was wondering what would happen to the mileage computer if I upgraded to the LE's 17 inch rims with a 255 aspect ratio. What about the real nice TRD 18 inch rims. How would that affect the operation of the hybrid electric motor, i.e., perhaps reducing the stellar coasting ability I now enjoy (probably largely attributable to the CVT). Any thoughts on changing the wheel size on a TCH from the 16s to a maximum of 18s?
  • It cost me $40 bucks to have the dealer disable the gustapo chime.
    It took them over an hour to get through the programming to do it.
    Worth every penny. Worth every minute.
  • I have over 67,000 miles on my 2007 TCH bought in February 2007. It is a Kentucky built model. No NAV. No Leather. He are my tech notes of interest to this forum.
    Tires - The Bridgestone Turanzas are horrible. You will not see more than about 35,000 out of them. I changed to a different model after the second set at 62,000 miles. I am not an aggressive driver. :blush:

Aftermarket GPS - Beware of GPS placements and electrical interference in the TCH. When powering GPS via 12vDC cords, I think the electrical frequencies confuse some GPS units.

Battery - The NiMH batteries do not start the TCH nor do they run the accessories. The little 12vDC battery in your trunk does. You can kill the battery in a TCH just as quick as any other car.

Starting - Beware of cell phones. Keep them away from your key fob and shut them off when diagnosing problems. [see manual... it talks about this]. Use the brake pedal.

Turning Off - Do not touch the brake pedal!

Aftermarket filters - Mine works fine [K&N]

Bluetooth - Horrible system. Never use it due to noise and echo.

Transmission - This is the best CVT on the market. Nissan buys it for their Altima Hybrid, and they already have a CVT in most of their cars. Enough said.

ICE - It will run less in the summer months and you will get better mileage in the warm months of the year. Seems counterintuitive, but it is my observation.

This is the best car I have ever owned. It is my 14th car. Lucky me! ;)