Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris New Owner Reports

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Ummm, kick back a little. The AIRBAG OFF sign is supposed to come on when you put light things (or people) in the front passenger seat. The sensor in the seat decides if it thinks a small child is in the seat, and if it does it deactivates the airbag on that side so it doesn't kill the child. Good thinking, eh? ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• asa805asa805 Posts: 29
    really? I thought it was an indicator for me (the driver).. i didnt say passenger on it? Ok i guess i was confused. Damn i better take some stuff out of my pocketbook! LOL.
    The indicator for you (which is a malfunction indicator) is part of the warning lights in the IP - it is with the oil pressure light and blue and red radiator lights and such next to the speedometer.

• Well to ME.....It's just a ROYAL "PAIN" to have all that beeping because I have my 30 or 36 pack of Bud in that seat! I mean REALLY..... :P
  • I also get only 26 MPG TOPS and mine is for sale on Craiglis San Diego. But do what I do....put a supply of beer in that seat & buckle it in for safety! And then, when you get it home, DRINK that old beer and I PROMISE..... You are gonna fee a LOT better!
  • asa805asa805 Posts: 29
    i guess we will know that the beer will be safe in an accident becasue the airbag wont deploy and break the bottles!

We have to watch out for our beer! lol...
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have traded or tried trading in their SUVs and have been shocked at the prices they are getting from dealerships. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 18, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• statstat Posts: 19
    Ok, I just looked at my MSRP sticker and I have a 2007 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan. It says it's a 1442-B model. Someone else posted that they have a sedan too, but they have the 1442-A model. Anyone else please post what you have.

Also, can anyone explain the difference between the "A" and the "B" versions of these cars? Does the "B" signify a second-gen 2007 model?
  • I have the Liftback (automatic) and mine says its a 2007/1422 A for year and model.
  • I know the dealers always tell you stuff on how to break in your new engine, but I pick up my Yaris tomorrow and like to hear some suggestions on how best to break it in as this is my frist "new" car. Thanks!
    Just drive real fast and wrap it around a pole. That should "break" it in real fast. :P
    no hard revving while the little blue "engine cold" light is still on. That means part throttle, and if you have one with a tach, watch the dial: no revs above 3000 or so while it's still cold.

I believe the manual also recommends no revving over 4000 rpm at any time in the first 1000 miles - you can check the manual on that one.

no hard braking for the first couple hundred miles, to give a chance for the front pads to mate to the rotors.

Don't do the 1000-mile trip to Grandma's in the car until it has at least 1000 miles on the odometer, and if you do take long trips on the highway, vary your speed every once in a while.

If you have a manual, it can help a lot to leave it in gear when decelerating, as that helps the rings to seat, which will contribute greatly to decreasing oil consumption later in life (the car's life, not your own! :-P)

• tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    Yes, Toyota/Scion/Lexus use A/B/C to designate production runs.

It's not a "second-gen" though. Just built later in the cycle. It helps us dealers know when a 2007 MY car built in 2006 will change over to 2008.

It also can mark a change in MSRP or new available option groupings (so good news for those waiting).

T
    So, does that mean the 2008 MY Yaris will be out soon, since my model says I have a 1442B ?

can you find out for us what is different between the A and B versions of the Yaris?

Thanks
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    Probably looking at spring 2007 for the 2008's, possibly a little later :) . No worries on having a year old car too soon...

The only difference of note is the MSRP, which went up $100. That and availability of different option groupings should start appearing in different regions (all those waiting on ABS/Side Airbags rejoice lol). We have 2 on the ground with ABS/Side Airbags already. I think one is about to sell though... good thing they're cooling off ;)

T
  • I purchased my Yaris LB in September, and 1421C is the model
  • jnantzjnantz Posts: 10
    We should get our new liftback by the end of this week (central Illinois) We are getting a Blazing Blue Pearl Liftback, 5sp Manual with Power Pkg, Side Air Bags, ABS, Spoiler, Mats. My dealer found it on an Indiana dealer’s lot. It had been a special order for that dealer that was turned down on delivery. Other than color, which I like, it is exactly what we wanted.

For the record we put 140,000 miles on our 1992 Camry, 103,000 miles on our 2000 Tundra, (no problems and excellent resale) and still have 60,000 miles on our 2003 Highlander. This will be 5th car purchased from this dealer. We will be putting a tow bar on the front next spring to tow it behind our motorhome.

By the way we are paying full sticker , and we are glad there was no premium added to that price.
  • I bought my 4-door Yaris in July, and I haven't had any problems until now. The center console rattles really loudly. Toyota keeps saying that nothing is wrong with it, but I am pretty sure that there is. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, did you find that it was the lid or the hinges of the console? I would appreciate any help.
    We took delivery today of our new Liftback. To recap, it is a Blazing Blue 5 speed manual, loaded... All-Weather Guard Package, ABS, Side Air-Bags, Remote Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Power Package, Rear Spoiler, Floor Mats. and Rear Bumper Protector. We sold our 2000 Tundra Tuesday, went to our dealer that evening and found this car 150 miles away. The dealer picked it up today and we picked it up from the dealer this afternoon. It is sweet to drive, has plenty of interior room for us (we are both 6ft tall) and I like the 60-40 adjustable rear seats.
    By the way, while we were closing the deal and signing the papers another salesman was selling our Yaris to his customer. They were all over it when the other salesman noticed our license plates on the car. He came into the show room asking everyone why there were plates on the car he was trying to sell. Boy were they disappointed to find out it was sold to us.

Then, when we go home, there was a message on our answering machine from a different Toyota dealer advising us they had searched for a car like we wanted but could not find one!

Finally, we got a price from our dealer's service department of $445 to install cruise control, an accessory we will be ordering soon.
  • Your liftback has the exact same specs as the one I plan to order next week, only in Meteorite Metallic.

Sounds like a great car!

What was the MSRP? (Seems like about $15,600 to me.)
    I want to say $14,785 in eastern Illinois.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    A reporter from a national news magazine is hoping to talk with consumers who have just downsized their vehicle from a SUV (preferably large) to a small, compact car. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 4, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I have several rattles from somewhere in my front DASH. Typical Toyota sadly....Mine is a 3 door lift back however with an aftermarket center console...
  • The gas mileage is great on my automatic Yaris Sedan with the power package. I am getting 33.5 MPG with mostly city driving. The turning radius on this car is also great. I can not say enough about the MP3 player, which is so useful in bumper to bumper traffic. All for under $15,000. :shades:

The car is a bit sluggish starting from a complete stop. Also, the front passenger seatbelt alarm does get annoying when someone does not immediately put their seatbelt on. ;)
  • I am experiencing the same problem in my 4 door sedan. Purchased in August and by late November started to hear a rattle in the dash that has become louder and louder. I have brought it to Toyota twice and was told they can't figure out where it is coming from so unitl it get LOUDER they can't do anything about it!!! It is driving me crazy! Has anyone else been experiening this and had luck with getting it fixed?
  • dkarschdkarsch Posts: 72
    I had a dash rattle which was caused by a wiring harness for the airbag hitting the dash in my 2002 tacoma and fix it in the following way.

got "caulk saver" which is a 1/2 inch diameter round strip that is used to fill up space when you are caulking around windows, doors, etc.

I cut a strip of this the length of the dash and then pushed it in the gap where the windshield meets the dash. use a wooden ruler or paint stick)

this moved the dash ever so slightly so that the harness no longer hit the dash.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem but it will only cost you a few dollars and about 15 minutes to find out.

good luck.
  • I just puchased a new Yaris Hatchback to use for my courier business and I'm still trying to figure out what took me so long. Because of my contract I drive 500 miles every day. I needed a vehicle that could both carry a reasonable amount of cargo and could really get over 35mpg. The vehicle I used before my yaris had a hwy/mpg of 21mpg.Because of the distance I travel, I dont exactly drive the speed limit. I always cruise at least 5-15mph over the speed limit. Instead of getting the 21mpg over the highway,the best I could get out of my other vehicle was 16mpg. The Yaris allows me to save 35-40 bucks a day on gas. I test drove a number of other vehicles and I was very close to buying a honda fit or scion xb. BTW the Yaris is very deceptive. It is allot bigger on the inside. With the Yaris hatch it is true that big things do come in small packages. The thing that made it clear to me the yaris was the right vehicle for me was its ride on the highway. To me the Yaris is a much smoother car on the highway than either the fit of xb. Both the fit and xb can hold more stuff, but they are more expensive to own and fill up and noisy. On some forums fit owners are complaining about lower milage than they expected. I am very happy with my purchase. I'm looking foward to saving 700 bucks a month in fuel costs. I already have almost 1500 miles on my yaris and I'm averaging 36.5 mpg cruising 75-85mph and carrying 250 pounds of cargo. Also My Yaris has ABS , side airbags and the power package. I paid about 14,500
  • When walking along side your Yaris from the rear towards the front of car, start "tapping" the sheet metal on the side of the car. Either side as BOTH are equally CHEAP.....When you arrive to the front area, front of the front doors, you will hear the CHEAPEST piece of crap sheet metal ever put into ANY car.It has generated several rattles to several "locations" as the sound ghosts around the cabin. Can't fix a design flaw this bad without taking some metal apart and spraying in one of several fixes. Aren't cheapo cars FUN? :lemon: