Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris New Owner Reports

124»

Comments

• bigtazbigtaz Posts: 3
    I knew what you meant, Yeah I know it would be nice to edit our posts.
    Thank You for your replies, I know that cars with little engines have to rev going down the road 2900-3000 vs. 2200 for my truck, I test drove a SVT focus once that was just as bad as an Accent 3700+ I just have to get past the "new" way of doing things I guess. The 5 speed models are kinda rare in MN, so are the "S" liftback models.
    I am unsure If I will get a 5 speed or an auto, as of yet, My wife isn't too keen on the Manual, but she is learning....Thanks Again, Bigtaz.
  • lewjac3lewjac3 Posts: 15
    Hey Big, just got back from a test drive of a 2008 hatch three door, I was not expecting anything good, it was between yaris or the fit haven't driven the fit yet but, WOW, the Yaris was great, build quality was exceptional, low road noise, no rattles, manual shift was smooth shift/clutch was great. I was in fourth gear doing sixty and was no problem, I could imagine doing eighty in fifth and it would be very smooth no high revs. I might add the air condition was on the whole time didn't make a difference as far as lose of power. With one drive I really liked this car, I will now test the FIt because I like the looks better, but it is going to be hard to beat the Yaris.
  • ttaittai Posts: 114
    OMG, I've had the Yaris over a year now and there is absolutely nothing that went wrong. NOTHING!!! I had a ford before and the thing was in the shop 5 times in the first year. This Yaris feels bullet proof. Sorry to all the magazines that said Toyota quality was bad. Toyota still rules.
  • bigtazbigtaz Posts: 3
    That is great to hear, I've put my buying on hold. I'm sorry you had problems with your Ford, My 04 F150 has 65K and has never been to the shop, there are good ones and bad ones of all makes. I had rented a Yaris to take on vacation, MN to NC "Long test drive" it was a 3dr auto, I liked the nimble handling and the mpg's but it is like most economy cars, slow to accelerate, and the interior was low buck, but so is my stripped down model ford, but the quality of the fit and finish is much better than the Korean cars. I wish there were a longer options list for the Yaris.
  • Have yet to drive the Yaris am in love with Fit but not the price. I have serious back problems . Drove the Saturn Astra very nice roomy handles great and ery little noise (another priority) but no matter how I adjusted seat after only 2 hrs. back acted up. Think will give back a few days rest then try the Yaris seems I do better in a level seat. Any suggestions?

Usafrosie
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    Yeah, that's got to be the lamest, made-up excuse yet. It doesn't make a bit of sense. I've had sticky throttle cables before on older cars that didn't always return to idle right away when you let off the gas (happened to me even more on older motorcycles). Our Yaris is at work with my wife so I can't look, but you should be able to see where the throttle cable enters the manifold and you should be able to see it move when you press the gas pedal.

If you can, have someone rev the motor lightly in neutral and see if you can tell if it sticks a little causing it to not slow to idle as quickly as it should when you friend lets off the gas.
  • I hate it the only good thing about it is the 40mpg I get with a full tank.
    Our new car experience has been a horrifying nightmare.
    and will never buy new again.
    Our yaris had 55mls when purchased last year. within a month started having problems with transmission (automatic), ignition, and air system stinking like an old heater core dump.
    took it into dealership they said nothing was wrong. but as I was gathering the paperwork for the lemon law arbitrator I found that the dealership lied and did a transmission diffrential repair. hmm but told me from the begining that nothing was wrong even gave me a bad time, cause I insisted something was wrong.
    we had the boot replace on the exhaust. that stopped the smell until I took it in to have the ignition replaced, now the air system smells of gasoline and exhaust.
    and ignition still giving us trouble.
    a few months ago we started experiencing a grinding in rear wheel.
    dealership said probably just dirt.
    a few days later we noticed grease slung on outside of hubcap from wheel.
    but nothing wrong with this car!
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    This is really hard to believe. I have bought three Yarii in the past three years for family members, and have not had the first quality problem with any of them. We average about 37 MPG in the city with all of them.
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    Yeah, I don't know what kind of dealers these poor folks are encountering but they are the exceptions it seems. Mylantageorgia, I doubt you'd have had a better experience with that dealer new or used.

My wife's Yaris Sedan is doing great at a year and half. Only thing we had to do was get a faulty TPM monitor replaced - done in an hour along with the oil change.

If my Echo weren't still doing so great, I'd have bought a second Yaris by now.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I bought a Yaris SE 5-speed, and this thing is so much fun to drive I am finding any excuse I can to take trips in it. The handling is much better than the older model - this car really sticks through corners and rolls much less than it used to, and where I was getting 40 mpg in the Echo I had before (Yaris's very humble ancestor) this one is making 44 mpg so far. The braking is also stronger, and the seats are much more comfortable and supportive.

The powertrain, of course, is the same except for some small fuel economy improvements, so it is no faster than it ever was, but because it is so lightweight it is plenty fast enough for commuting and the occasional trip down the local canyons.

The biggest improvement, I think, is to the steering, which is quick and precise, and while it doesn't provide a ton of feedback from the front wheels it does at least provide SOME while being heavier than before and not totally lifeless the way it used to be. And I'm no fan of electric steering in general - I think the 1/4 mpg saved by it is totally not worth what you lose vs going with a hydraulic system. But they mostly got it right here, and I'm hoping that an electric system will also be more durable and less costly to repair down the line.

Anyway, all that and two cupholders I can actually use for a Super Big Gulp earned Toyota a sale. ;-)

I am going to cross my fingers that it ends up being as ultra-reliable as my Echo was for almost ten years. Any other 2012 owners out there?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Well, the gas tank finally required filling a couple of times, and mileage is a lot closer to 37 than 44, unlike my initial impression.

Still that's close to what I was getting before, and I'm going to see if I can improve it a bit.

Had a weird thing happen today - got in the car and the radio portion of the stereo wouldn't work. The CD worked fine, but the AM/FM wouldn't tune in any stations or even produce static, it was just silent. Turning it off and on didn't help at all.

So I listened to a CD on the way back to work from lunch, and when I came out at the end of the day the AM/FM was working again. Weird, and I hope just a one-time glitch.

that my 2012 Yaris is the only 2012 Toyota that cannot be programmed to chirp when you hit the keyless entry. It is silent, only flashing the turn signals when you lock or unlock the car.

Seems like an odd place to cost-cut - how much more can it cost to have a system that produces a chirp than one that doesn't?? :confuse: :sick:

It had its first oil change at the same time, and after 5000 miles the only defect I can find so far (except that one-time glitch with the radio) is that the driver's door intermittently won't lock or unlock with the keyless entry. I asked them to look at it yesterday but of course the response back was a "cannot duplicate condition"... :-(

• maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    yes, that also is the biggest irritant with my Toyota Vibe, or if you prefer, Pontiac Corolla. How my car can be built at NUMMI and not have the Toyota chirp is a mystery to me and causes all kinds of problems, especially in large parking lots/garages.
    That's extra weird, because my Matrix DID have the chirp....perhaps the keyless is GM-specific in that model?

124»