Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    edited April 2012
    Some of the low scores were: for flexibility - got a 2 out of possible 5.
    For features/amenities, got a 4 out of possible 10.

The flexibility thing is exclusively and totally because they are totally in love with the Fit's "magic seat", which I will admit is pretty nifty if you are going to be doing a lot of carrying people and cargo at various times in the car. With the Fit getting a 5 for the magic seat, the Yaris gets a 2 by comparison, but if you will mostly be alone or with one passenger in the car (which is my case as this is my commute car) the magic seat won't matter much.....

Features/amenities: they get graded down for no factory moonroof or NAV, and for the ages-old 4-speed automatic which I agree is a bit of a disgrace for Toyota at this point.....and in a totally redesigned model no less. All the other models in the class except the Mazda2 have the edge there. But if you get a manual it won't matter how many gears the automatic has! :-)

If fun to drive is important to you at all, you should get the Yaris. The SE is the most fun to drive of any of the cars in this class, including the Fit Sport IMO.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    But if you get a manual it won't matter how many gears the automatic has!

No. But it will matter how many gears the manual has! C/D complained about the Yaris needing another gear in the manual tranny. Several competitors have 6-speed sticks now, which help for fuel economy and noise.

Most in the cars in that test had no factory moonroof available, so I doubt the Yaris got down-graded for that.
    The Sonic and the Rio both offer a moonroof, (as does the Fiesta, not in the test but until recently the sales champ in the segment), so it's reasonable to count its absence as an option against the Yaris (and Fit).

As for the manuals, you are totally correct that the Fit and Yaris are both behind on that count, and in fact the reviews of both noted how high the engines revved at normal highway speeds. They should have a proper cruising gear. Of course they still get the best as-tested mileage of the group even with less gears to choose from! :-)

I said "Most in the cars in that test had no factory moonroof available", which is correct: Fit, Yaris, Accent, Versa don't have a moonroof available. And three of the top four, including the top car (Fit) have no moonroof. So I really don't think it mattered in the overall score. C/D is all about handling. That's why the Yaris ranked as high as it did. Also the Fit, and Sonic.

The lack of a 6th cog (noise on the highway) is a key reason why I cannot consider the Fit, although it's a fun car to drive.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    edited April 2012
    Before getting too terribly excited about how many gears are available, check the RPM of each contender at a given highway speed.

When a given car goes from 4 speed to 5 speed, did the "Top" gear ratio actually change? Or did they do some shuffling and insert the new gear into the lower 4?

These small 4 bangers depend on RPM to do their thing. If the "TOP" gear is too high, it won't be good for much more than level ground running.

Peer pressure is powerful and no doubt the 4 speed autos in Toyota's line up will change to a larger number of gears "Just Because" . But will that actually do anything for overall fuel millage?

Most of the noise we hear in our 09 Rav4 and Honda Ridgeline are road noises, not engine noises. As was the 03 CR-V and Pilot. And truthfully, the RAV4 is extremely noisy at idle and lower rpm, Sounds like a tractor when standing outside it.

In the small 4 banger line, we have had a rental Honda Civic with the 5 speed auto, and a Corolla with the 4 speed auto. The Civic "SEEMED" a tad quicker 0-60 but the Corolla got better fuel mileage. And didn't seem as "Busy" as the Civic.

Possibly a Yaris - Fit comparison might yield the same results. :)

Kip
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    i also own a 2007 yaris hb and i got 38.5 my last tank all suburban chicago driving. only things i have done is oil and filter,wiper blades and new tires. i have just over 50,000 miles on it and purchased it new. i paid $14,200 including ttl. its the auto with pw/pl. my mpg drop down a little in the winter but the yaris loves warmer weather.
    Yes, good point, it's not just about number of gears. For example, the 5-speed Golf with the 2.5L engine revs low in 5th, thus is quiet on the highway and gets good fuel economy (better than the EPA estimates in my experience).

The Yaris (based on previous generation) and Fit are examples where 5th gear revs high (over 3000 rpm on the highway) and the high revs contribute to noise at cruise. I also suspect both cars could get better highway fuel economy if they had a 6th gear, overdrive, that would allow cruising at lower RPMs. They are small and light with small engines.
  • Latest fillup for 2012 Yaris LE:

onboard mpg computer: 35.2

Manually calculated: 36.5

This is 90% city driving.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I have named her "Sippy" because she sips gas! :)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    Let's clone your car and start handing them out so we can become energy efficient. Oh wait; Americans can drive anything that doesn't have 85 cubic feet of room for their umbrella. I forgot; silly me.
  • HeHe - I know what you mean!

Now I do have to tell you that I have the psi in my tires slightly higher than the recommended 33 psi - right now they are at 36 psi - it has been my experience that a little extra air will improve gas mileage -

Also, I do coast now and again, usually when I see a stop light up ahead and it's red I will take my foot off the gas and coast if it's feasible - but I'm not a hypermiler (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Other than that, just normal stop and go driving -

My last car (2001 Corolla LE) got a pretty consistent 30 mpg city and 39 highway which is what the sticker said, my Yaris' sticker stated 30 mpg city and 35 highway so needless to say up to this point I'm a happy camper!
    edited April 2012
    I also coast in my Pontiac Corolla. I also use to put the car in neutral when I drove a stick. Not to get too far off topic, but what exactly does hypermiling mean? Now that I am retired and in no hurry to rush to work, plus the fact that we are off of winter gas, means I'm getting better mileage. I'm assuming the Yaris also loves the summer gas. Now, if I can only find a way to detach my grappling hooks from the back of the tractor trailer when I desire to exit the highway, I could definitely maximize my mileage. :surprise:
  • It's my understanding that hypermilling pertains to driving in such a way as to maximize fuel economy, like slowly accelerating after stopping...

There are some websites you can visit that will give you the tips and techniques -
    Hypermiling also involves lots of little methods like way overpumping tires (to max on the sidewall, sometimes 20 PSI above manufacturer recommendation), driving well below the speed limit, turning off the engine at red lights, pulling away really slowly from stops, all that kind of stuff....

I'm so curious why it is that my computer readout CONSISTENTLY shows me a number that is 1 MPG higher than my calculated MPG, yet everyone else here is reporting that their computer actually UNDER-reports their mileage. Maybe mine is defective or something.....

I had never heard of a computer undercalculating mpgs until I came to this forum. Almost always it is 2-3 mpgs too high.
  • nippononly:

Do you have a 2012 LE as well? If so, what color?
    Mine is a red 2012 SE. :-)

• Yes, that seems to be the norm, the onboard mgp calculator is higher than the manual calculation - but for my car it's the opposite (thus far):

for today's fillup - onboard mpg: 35.4
    manual mpg: 36.4
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Posts: 49
    Wow, gotta love the 2012 Yaris LE!

filled up today:

Onboard MPG computer: 35.7
    Manual calculation: 38.1 :D

Tires: 37 psi
    tremendous! What was the hwy/city percentage for that tank?
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Posts: 49
    This is almost all city driving, I'd say 90%...

I've been trying to accelerate gently since the car is new and it's still getting "broken in" - or is it? I remember the new car sales director at the dealership telling me the engines on new cars are broken in at the factory these days - I have also been coasting on occasion, (when feasible) when I see a red light up ahead...

Is 40 mpg a possibility?! I don't know, but 38 mpg for an automatic car that's a non-hybrid is pretty impressive if you ask me.

BTW, Intellichoice.com gave the 2012 Yaris LE it's highest rating (excellent) and it got 6 awards - I believe one was for fuel economy :)