Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"and again.....

blah, blah, blah.......I choose to live normally. Stay over to the right if you don't like me in your mirrors."
    blah, blah, blah...

If you think 5mph over the posted limit locally, and 65 on Express Ways is to slow, you can pass, pick another route, or leave at a different time.

Makes no difference to me if you are in my mirrors. Get too close and you WILL slow down or have to pick one of the above.. As I said before: I don't let other drivers dictate how I drive. That includes you!

Interesting that you drive an eccono box, but you don't have the ability to meet it's potential. Obviously for you, that is normal. :P

Kip
  • psulionspsulions Member Posts: 22
    Your going to need the money you are saving for the heart surgery. You hyper milers are high strung!

I'd rather meet my potential on a macroeconomic scale keeping in mind the value of time, not to mention my health. See your rear bumper later!
    >"You hyper milers are high strung"

What makes you think I'm a hyper miler? Those guys are real professionals and dedicated. I'm not. ;)

Actually my driving style is very relaxing.

I used to drive like you when I was young and foolish. Now it is actually somewhat humorous watching your type getting wound tight, jockeying for position, burning unnessary fuel, sliding up to every stop, weaving in and out of traffic. Now that has to be stressfull.

This morning, Saturday, I will again be involved with inexperienced people wanting to purchase and learn to shoot hand guns. Some will "Think" they already know it all. Those that are in too much of a rush to "Learn Safely" will be dismissed! That is somewhat stressfull .

At the end of the day I will get into my car for a RELAXING drive home. :shades:

Kip
    You assume that I'm one of those drivers because I'm in you mirror. This is a mistake in judgment - and at the very core of the argument. You guys are always going to have someone up your butt. Anyone who is not spending time saving gas is going to be annoying you. I know it's hard to take, but we cannot be dismissed.

Try tree hugging. Now there's a group who should be dismissed!
    Argument? You are arguing with yourself. All wound tight and looking for a fight! This forum is about fuel mileage, and you are wanting to make it one about driving styles. Hey dude, or dudette, start your own thread.

My driving style is quite relaxing for me, and the fuel mileage is above average. I'm a happy camper. There is nothing to argue about.

The folks not satisfied with 5 mph over the speed on local roads and 2 lane highways, are welcome to go as fast as they like. But not at my expense. Same for those that wish to go more than 65 in the right lane, on the freeway. Very obvious that you are one of those people, If not you wouldn't be so obsessed with my mirror.

Kip
  • dgfitdgfit Member Posts: 8
    I agree with the other poster..go drive you car in the fast lane, be rude and selfish without regard to the future or thers, and leave us alone.
    try tree hugging you might like it.... :shades:
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Is the right place to get an ideal about the mpg for the Yaris? :confuse:
    >" Is the right place to get an ideal about the mpg for the Yaris? "

Good Post ! :)

Thanks,
    Kip
  • jsmith1975jsmith1975 Member Posts: 22
    "Is the right place to get an ideal about the mpg for the Yaris?"

Yes. They are capable of very good mileage and are inexpensive to boot. I would suggest a manual over the automatic. I think it is easier to get good gas mileage with a small engine when a manual is attached to it.
    How about a total electric Yaris?

A few nights ago, 1 of the news stations, did a segment on hybrids and "Plug In" electric cars.

Seems that in the 90s Toyota built some "Plug In" Rav-4s. They were good for about 100 miles before re charging and were more than capable of highway speeds. Keep in mind, that was with the old battery technology. With the new "ION" batteries, they should have a greater range, be lighter weight, last longer and charge faster.

Something like that would fill the 2nd car needs of a great many drivers for commuting. Something like that would work extremely well for our family as "Most" of our driving involves less than 25 miles round trip. They said that at the present cost of electricity, the cost per mile for "Fuel" would be the equivalent of about 200 MPG. Each full charge would cost in the neighborhood of $2.00 for 100 miles of driving. The new type batteries are supposed to be good for about 100K miles.

Right now battery replacement for any of the electrics or hybrids is expensive ($4k-$5k), but should go down with time as most electronic things do.

If a typical Yaris "averages" 33 miles per gallon, it will consume 3030 gallons of gas in 100K miles. that would = $12121 at $4 per gallon. An all electric car getting 100 miles per charge, would require 1000 charges and = $2000 for electricity at $2 per charge. Figuring in a high of $5k for a new battery pack, the electric car would cost $7000 for that 100K of driving vs $12121 for a piston engined car + $$$ for oil changes, transmission service and so forth. So in theory, the all electric car would be cheaper on "Fuel" by $5K. And cheaper on maintenance by many dollars.

Also the electric car should be a lot cheaper to build. No engine with all it's associated moving and stationary parts, no fuel system, no transmission, No EPA devices and so on. Just a battery pack, a controller, and an electric motor.

A Yaris size electric car would be extremely quick accelerating, quiet, trouble free, inexpensive and very handy for the short distance commuter, soccer mom , retired folks and such.

Just a thought! :)

Kip
    Well, ok....
    I have to say you got me there.
    I was ranting a bit.
    I'm just so stressed when I get home from mashing the gas and the break for 30 minutes,
    On a more positive note.

Check out these numbers....

20 amps continuous charge for 10 hours at 10 cents per kw = $2.20
    The Chevy Volt is anticipated to travel up to 40 miles on a charge.

Thats 5.5 cents per mile

The average car at 20mpg and 4 bucks a gallon = 20 cents per mile
    The Yaris at 35mpg and 4 bucks a gallon = 11.5 cents per mile.

My opinion is that there will be one of these in every two car family before long.

Intersesting huh? can you imagine if you could power the car with solar? or a windmill on the roof or something?

This seems entirely possible to me considering the advances being made in capturing and storing electricity from low volume power generators like this.

Let me guess....now you guys love me!
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I have just read the last 50 posts or so and have not seen one posting of what kind of mpg Yaris owners are getting. All I've seen is how to drive and electric car discussions. Does anybody on this thread drive a Yaris and what kind of real mpg do they get?

Thanks.
    >"I have just read the last 50 posts or so and have not seen one posting of what kind of mpg Yaris owners are getting."

Why I do believe you are exaggerating a bit.

Along with the discussions, which is what forums are all about, there are plenty of reported MPG Figures in the last 50 postings. Look again!

The rest are discussions of how to achieve those figures.

If you want pure mileage numbers you can find them at:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

Kip
    Sorryt...yes.

I have the 4 door sedan with automatic transmission and I can get 36mpg city if I lay off the accelerator. Highway is a bit different. Yaris does not like speed. I've never gone slower than 65-75 and never done better than 33-35mpg. I'm betting that it is possible to do better but who has the time!

The hyper milers are allegedly doing much better than me,

Later - hope this helps.

Yaris is a surprisingly pleasing vehicle for it's class and price btw.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    A lot more people will find the time to drive at 55 mph if gas stays a $4. It also may be time to lower the speed limit to 55 mph again so people will have to pay extra $$$ for the privilege of wasting our precious natural resources.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    Lowering the speed limit would have an immediate effect on our usage in the USA.
    It also would be safer to drive at 55 than the speeds we are currently doing. I wonder if that day will ever come, driving 55 on the highways. I for one would love to see it, but doubt it will happen, unless our fuel cost gets much much higher.
    My current 90 day average is its highest ever, 49.4 mpg. Love my Yaris HB.
    >"Lowering the speed limit would have an immediate effect on our usage in the USA.
    It also would be safer to drive at 55 than the speeds we are currently doing"

I totally agree! However simply lowering the speed limit won't do much good, unless strictly enforced, with fines and inconveniences that make speeding simply not desirable. Also ,to me, 60 MPH seems more reasonable.

How about a $100 fine for 6-10 mph over the posted limit , and being required to sit inside a "Wait Here" area for an hour, to think about it. They could also watch the cars they passed, going by. :cry:

A $1000 fine for 11-20 Mph over the posted limit, car gets impounded on the spot for 10 days, and loss of license for 30 days.

Anything 20+ the speed limit would have serious consequences.

I'm thinking just the sight of the impound areas with cars sitting there would slow folks down a bit! :shades:

Kip
    What brilliant thinking. I love it. If you want to run for President, I will vote for you.
    I guess that I would have to take my Yaris back to the dealer to have cruise control installed though or I might find myself facing those serious consequences.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    Kip.........all excellent ideas that I never thought of. Also, 60 mph is more likely to ever happen, not 55 mph.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Thanks for the the report on real-world experience. Someone else told me to check the gov site....duh.
    wasting precious resources huh?......Precious only because of the fact that the US government will not allow oil exploration where we know it is. Foolish because 3% of the oil in the US is actually pumped out of US soil. Don't believe the spin. It's all about the fear of destabilization of middle east governments and economy.
    I know I've really been sort of a pain in the bumpkus. I do have a good tip for any of you out there who are frustrated with the way that the interior dash seems to not absorb armorall.
    I have another car with leather and I use armorall leather . For the heck of it I tried it on my Yaris dash and the results were fabulous. Give it a try! It comes in a brown jelly jar looking container.

I think it's made with petroleum however. This may reduce your mpg slightly. The way you guys drive it probably will not matter ;)
    >"Also, 60 mph is more likely to ever happen, not 55 mph."

fastrunner,

The whole numbers are shown on the speedometer; Such as 50,60,70 and so on. Whereas 55, 65 and so on are just little marks between the whole numbers. I personally tend to drive at the whole numbers. In 55 zones, I drive 60. In 45 zones I drive 50.

For some reason 70 seems like such a large number so I pretty much limit it to 61-65. Small numbers that burn less gas. ;) Don't know how much real difference there is in MPG between 55 and 65, with todays more aerodynamic cars. But there is some. I do believe that if everyone was slowed down, I would probably slow down to less than 60 on the free ways. .

I expect a Yaris at 55 mph would get some really high mileage.

In the 70"s there was a 55 mph speed limit imposed, nation wide. I got used to driving it and found the mileage increased and the driving was a lot more relaxed. :)

Kip
    >"I would have to take my Yaris back to the dealer to have cruise control installed though or I might find myself facing those serious consequences"

Probably not more than once. :shades:

Everyone has their own preferences.

For me the "Trip" is part of the journey. Lots of things to see and do between here and there. It is OK to spend a little extra time on the road! Certainly better than sitting in a "Wait Here" area. ;)

Kip
  • podredpodred Member Posts: 127
    "I would have to take my Yaris back to the dealer to have cruise control installed though or I might find myself facing those serious consequences"

This describes me to a T. I simply enjoy driving, a concept and practice that many others simply fail to understand.

As far as lowering the speed limit, for the tree huggers that only care about extreme measures I would propose the following based on the facts, as the EPA fuel economy testing has established.

The highest fuel economy is obtained by driving at a steady rate of 32 MPH. Therefore lets' make that the maximum speed on the freeways, and highways. Just think boys and girls, how fun to save so much fuel! The planet earth will be smiling and you get the fun of spending most of your time in the car. The accident rate will collapse, the body shops will go out of business, and the poor souls that sell fuel will get rather grumpy.

Now we must also set the maximum speed for surface streets. Again simply consulting the studies that figure is 19.5 MPH. Just think how fun that will be. No worries about slowing down in a school zone as you are already well below 25 MPH. You have the pleasure of taking quite a while to get anywhere, and yet just think of all the roses you can smell. All the birds you can watch pass your car or whatever it is that you choose to drive or ride.

How simple. Just two speeds. 19.5 mph, and 32 mph. That will thrill you beyond your wildest expectations. Save the planet, Save gas, Save having to focus on steering your car, or having to use the brakes very often. Save money, Save everything except time. After all time is meaningless anyway when you are saving fossil fuel. ..... :)
    Watch what you say
    or they'll be calling you a radical
    A liberal
    an intellectual
    cynical.....

Now this guy must really tan your hide Kip!
    You thought I was bad?
    When I was young,
    it seemed that life was so wonderful,
    a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
    And all the birds in the trees,
    well they'd be singing so happily,
    joyfully, playfully watching me.

But then they sent me away
    to teach me how to be sensible,
    logical, responsible, practical.

And they showed me a world
    where I could be so dependable,
    clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
    the questions run too deep
    for such a simple man.
    Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
    I know it sounds absurd
    but please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say
    or they'll be calling you a radical,
    liberal, fanatical, criminal.
    Won't you sign up your name,
    we'd like to feel you're acceptable,
    respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
    the questions run so deep
    for such a simple man...
    >"Now this guy must really tan your hide Kip!"

Not at all !

Interesting that he may actually believe that creeping along in a lower gear at 19.5 mph is the most economical speed.

Real world driving for many years, tells me different.

He wrote: " I simply enjoy driving, a concept and practice that many others simply fail to understand."

There, he and I have something in common.

I most enjoy my driving in a relaxed manner. I also enjoy consistently beating the EPA ratings by a good amount. He may not!

Folks on these forums have described very different driving styles as well as very different mileage figures. To each his own.

Kip
    Peace Kip.
  • mkapoostamkapoosta Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a Yaris and recently rented one from a Toyota dealer in Portland Oregon. I told them I was interested in mileage and they suggested taking an older one since they improve their mileage with use (so said the rep.). I took a 2006 sedan with over 16,000 miles on it for two trips on the order of 400 miles each with a minor amount of town driving. I assume the tank was full of regular when I picked it up. The first tank came in at just under 43mpg. The second tank came in at 43.9 on premium. I drive at 55mph on the highway here in Oregon where the traffic is still relatively light compared to other states. This mileage seems high after reading some of the other posts. I imagine my highway speed is the reason for the great mileage I got since drag is a big factor and NOT linear with speed.
    Excellent post!

Were the cars you rented Sedans or Hatch Backs?

You are right on about the wind resistance not being linear. Seems I read that the formula for wind resistance is:

The frontal area X velocity squared. R = A X V(2)

So a vehicle traveling at 75 would have a wind resistance of A X 5625
    A vehicle at 55 mph would have a resistance of A X 3025

The increase in speed is 36% while the increase in wind resistance is 86% !

Chances are good that a lot of the poor mileage figures reported are from higher speed driving. :)

Kip
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Got that right. Aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the velocity. Doubling your speed increases drag fourfold.

And I know that nobody likes to hear it, but I'd bet good money that virtually all of the mileage complaints about vehicles, across all makes and models, can be directly tied to driving styles and habits or things like improperly inflated tires rather than some mechanical issue with the vehicle.
    I can't imagine anyone putting premium in a rental car, especially one designed to run on regular. There is no such thing as a 2006 Yaris, unless you had one made for the Canadian market.
    What surprised me about my 2008 Yaris 2 door hatchback is that the CD number is exactly the same as the more Aero looking 2008 Avalon. And both of these cars have better (lower) Aero CD numbers than either a MBZ E series, or BMW 5 series.

So for the low price point, one can hardly do any better than a Yaris hatch. I know that I'm truly shocked at how much I enjoy driving mine. I have a lot of cars to choose from in my collection, and yet everyday I end up in the Yaris unless I'm venturing out for a long road trip.

In a word _ Balance _ is what I like best. Just the right amount of horsepower, braking, acceleration, fuel economy, comfort, and a fun to drive factor that is simply delightful...... ;)
  • erod550erod550 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Colorado, where the highway speed limit is 75mph. I commute 57 miles one way to work, 43 of which is highway. Yes, I'm aware that I can drive 65 mph and get higher mpg, however, it will NOT be less stressful for me to do so as kipk suggests, as people who do 65 are the cause of 1-2 mile traffic backups. I work graveyards and I see it every day on the way home in the mornings. If there is a significant slowing/bunching of traffic, the cause is one person doing 60-65mph, even if they are in the right lane, as it causes a domino effect of people doing less than the speed limit but more than 60mph to get into the left lane and everyone then is slowed down, just by one person refusing to do the speed limit.

Now, I'm sure you will say "I don't care what happens to other people behind me, I'm going to go the speed I want to go and that's that." But to me, it seems rather inconsiderate to cause many other people (on the highway we're not just talking 1 or 2 people but potentially 100 or more if you are talking about a backup of 1-2 miles) stress and lost time so that I can get 2 more miles out of every gallon of gas. To me, having other people honking at me and waving rude gestures at me as they fly by at the posted speed limit is not my idea of a "stress-free" commute.

If you live in a state where 65mph is the speed limit on the highway, then absolutely, go that speed. But it's just not practical when the speed limit is higher to go 10 mph under the speed limit. I wouldn't go 10 under in town and I don't plan on doing it on the highway. I generally go 5mph over the speed limit whereever that may be, except in school or contstruction zones where I adhere very strictly to the posted limits. The difference in the highway portion of my commute in going 80mph over 65mph is 7.5 minutes in each direction. This is 15 extra minutes of commuting every day, equating to an hour of additional commute time in my 4 day work week. Given that I already have an hour commute each way and a 10 hour work day, (12 hours total each day), an extra hour spent driving each week is unacceptable. My time is more valuable to me than the extra 2 or 3 miles I may get per gallon.

In my current vehicle, an '05 SRT-4 (22city/30hwy) I average about 28mpg with 25% city, 75% highway driving. I am looking to save miles on my toy while also paying less for gas and am seriously considering a Yaris hatchback as my solution.

Now, with all that said, does anyone else here live in a 75mph highway state and drive 75-80mph on the highway regularly in their Yaris hatchback, and if so, what kind of highway mileage are you seeing?
    Yes, the first road trip I took was for 2 hours straight at 80mpg and I got 33mpg. Yaris does not like speed. In town I'm getting 35. I would imagine you could do up to 40 at 55 but who does that.
    Very entertaining post!

Because you used my name, I will reply to it.

>" Yes, I'm aware that I can drive 65 mph and get higher mpg, however, it will NOT be less stressfull for me to do so as kipk suggests, as people who do 65 are the cause of 1-2 mile traffic backups."

I didn't suggest that driving 65 is less stressfull for me. I stated it as a fact!

>"as people who do 65 are the cause of 1-2 mile traffic backups."

Please provide some data to back up that statement.

>"If there is a significant slowing/bunching of traffic, the cause is one person doing 60-65mph, even if they are in the right lane, as it causes a domino effect of people doing less than the speed limit but more than 60mph to get into the left lane and everyone then is slowed down, just by one person refusing to do the speed limit."

Well there ya go! Obviously the answer is to get that one 65 mph person off the road and there would not be any more 1-2 mile backups. Traffic would flow smooth as silk, all the way to work. Nobody would be slowing down for exit ramps. Nobody would be attempting to exit right from the left lane, causing those in the right lane to hit the brakes. No traffic backing up onto the freeway because the light at the top of the exit ramp is occasionally RED. Thus, no more domino effects.

But wait ! ".... as it causes a domino effect of people doing less than the speed limit but more than 60mph to get into the left lane and everyone then is slowed down," There is more than one person doing less than the speed limit? ? ? :confuse:

That must be amazing to watch from the air. One car, all by itself, proceeding down the freeway at 65 mph, and all the wrecks, explosions, road rage, shootings, and carnage happening behind it. :sick:

Have a wonderful day! :)

Kip
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    Doing 65 on the highway does not cause backups. Wrecks cause backups. And what causes wrecks? Most likely people going way too fast. I do 70 mph in my Yaris and still get passed up. It's psychological with some people. They can't stand driving behind somebody so they're constantly trying to pass.
    Psychology? You want to talk about the psychology of driving?
    How about the psychology of people like me who for some reason waste time on blogs like this one. All of us who get upset over an opinion splashed on some meaningless website in cyberspace should ask ourselves what exactly it is we are really looking for in our real lives.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and then, after they pass you, they drive right at the speed limit, so you slightly have to let up on your accelerator or else you'll rear-end them. :mad:

But they got what they wanted, to pass you up. It helps to make their perfect day, to pass you. If I pass someone, I get the hell out of their way. It's not fodder to explode over, yet, it's annoying and inconsiderate. BTW-there's a column on Edmunds for "Inconsiderate Drivers" if anyone's truly interested. :D

And no, I'm not gonna post the link on here. Look it up yourself!

Just kiddin'! :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• tele_marktele_mark Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone, first post. I discovered this thread searching Google for "Yaris gas mileage". I just bought a new Yaris hatchback with a 5 speed a month ago and am trying to figure out what I'm getting for mileage.

The numbers I seem to be getting are "too good to be true", so I'm trying to see if I'm calculating mileage correctly, being as mathematically challenged as I am. I live in Mass, and have a 50 mile a day commute. The roads I drive are typical for the area -- not city, not highway, but a combo of both -- mostly 40-50+ MPH 2 lane secondary roads, with slower spots through towns and some stops. My driving style is to not wind the car out and get into the highest gear that gives me good roadbility fast

My manual says the Yaris fuel tank is 11.1 gallons, so I divide that by the 8 bars on the fuel gauge and get 1.3875. To get my mileage, I divide what I get from one bar by that number, so if I drive 48 miles on 1/8th tank, that's 34.6 MPG, right?

I haven't done a calculation on a tankful yet, I'm in the process of doing that now, but using the 1/8th talk calculation, I've seen numbers as I've said seem too good to be true. Just driving normal, using the above calculation method, I'm getting 41 MPG consistently. Last week, we had a heat wave, and I was using the AC continuously, and also got on the car a little hard a few times, and got an all time low of 36 MPG. And, today, for Father's Day, I went out to my sister's house, which was all highway at 65 MPH with a few trips to 80 MPH, and I recorded an astounding 71.5 miles out of 1/8th tank, which would calculate to 51.5 MPG.

So, what am I doing wrong?
    >"and then, after they pass you, they drive right at the speed limit, so you slightly have to let up on your accelerator or else you'll rear-end them. "

Absolutely!

Then it is your fault that the traffic came to a stand still behind you from the domino effect, of your letting off the gas to keep from rear ending the car that just had to pass you !

But no,, wait! That can't happen, because you were driving the speed limit and the backups, wrecks, slow downs and so forth are only caused by those driving 60-65 .

But what if the posted speed limit is 55 and that 65 MPH driver is still on the road?
    Are they still causing massive traffic snarls. It is all so confusing. :confuse:

Think I'll just stick to the relaxing 65 mph. Give me a chance to view episodes of "Ice Road Drivers", or "Monster Quest" that I missed. Make some phone calls and fix some breakfast while commuting. And above all, calculate how much gas I'm saving. :shades:

Have a blessed day,

Kip
    When you fill up, write down the mileage. When you fill up again, figure how many miles you drove since the last fill. Then divide the exact number of gallons it took to fill up into the miles driven.

Example: You drive 240 miles since the last fill. It takes 6.9 gallons to re fill. Now divide 240 by 6.9 and you mpg was 34.78 mpg. After doing that a few times you can figure your "average".

Kip
    You gotta burn a tank of gas before you do the math. The shape of the gas tank throws off the quantity remaining as indicated by the gauge. The gauge will fall at a much quicker rate the closer you get to the bottom.

Later!
    " Yaris does not like speed."

My 2008 2 door Yaris "S" loves speed and so do I!

Setup with 19" wheels & low profile tires,
    lowered suspension via Eibach springs, gas shocks,
    a custom made sway bar, a few other engine & electronics mods,
    runs very smooth at a brisk 82mph for extended periods.

I could not be happier......say bye...... :surprise:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I've actually seen 3 lightly customized Yaris's on the road in the Bay Area - fatter tires, shaved trunk (no Yaris label), blacked out windows. It's good to see people having fun with the car - although I'm not a big believer in over-sized wheels (bigger than 15 or 16 inches on a car this size). Fatter tires, yes.

I put a TRD rear sway bar on my Yaris, when I had it, and it greatly improved the stability of the car at speed, without giving it any "over" steer. I also put 195 tires on it (195x60x14) which were a close swap, in terms of diameter and hence speedometer accuracy and chassis clearance, for the stock, skinny 175x65/14 tires. It wasn't so long ago that 195x60's were considered "low profile"....
  • erod550erod550 Member Posts: 2
    kipk, I'm just going to ignore pretty much everything that you said because you're obviously taking my entire post personally when the only part that applied to you was your suggestion that people should drive 65mph for the lower amount of stress. I realize that works for you, but that's in a 65mph state. The speed limit here is higher, so compare it to driving 55mph in a 65mph zone. None of the other reasons you give for traffic slowing apply to me as 90% of the highway portion of my commute is rural, not in the city. Just ignore that I said 65mph, and instead take it as doing 10mph under the speed limit, since people are obviously focusing on the specific speed, and taking it out of context.

Thank you psulions for your response, since you actually have a relevant viewpoint to my question. I think I will steer away from the Yaris and go for a Corolla instead.

As a side note, getting higher than the EPA estimate doesn't always require driving 65mph or less. I just drove my wife's brand new 08 Impreza (EPA rated 20city/27hwy) to work the last two days and averaged 30mpg, going the same speeds as I always go (80mph on most of highway portions, 70mph in the 65mph areas). Apparently, Yaris just isn't a car that can pull this off (going 80 and still exceeding EPA estimates), and that's fine, just not for me.
    I've actually seen 3 lightly customized Yaris's on the road in the Bay Area - fatter tires, shaved trunk (no Yaris label), blacked out windows. It's good to see people having fun with the car - although I'm not a big believer in over-sized wheels (bigger than 15 or 16 inches on a car this size). Fatter tires, yes.

I put a TRD rear sway bar on my Yaris, when I had it, and it greatly improved the stability of the car at speed, without giving it any "over" steer. I also put 195 tires on it (195x60x14) which were a close swap, in terms of diameter and hence speedometer accuracy and chassis clearance, for the stock, skinny 175x65/14 tires. It wasn't so long ago that 195x60's were considered "low profile"....

I agree with you, they can be a lot of fun. I too "shaved' the trunk of all emblems, it's the first thing I do with my new cars. Especially if they are Japanese as they have a penchant for using different fonts and styles in each of the three or more emblems affixed to the trunk. I was lucky on the Yaris as none had locating pins, thus no holes in the hatch panel. And of course I left the tastefully done Toyota Logo in the middle. So the only "labels" on the car are the front and rear Toyota Logo's.

Regarding wheels and tires, I like both choices really, the way you chose to go is the very best from a handling standpoint as you have lighter unsprung weight that way.

The way I chose to go was for looks and to fill out the wheel wells. Even though I went up a few sizes in wheel diameter I worked with The Tire Rack Closely during the selection process to insure that I was replacing the stock alloys and 15" tires with tires of the very same diameter, just a greater width and lower sidewall profile. Also as a long time enthusiast I am very aware that in doing so my chances of having a puncture have increased as that is a well documented fact. However it's one that I'm aware of and willing to risk. In the final analysis I was able to make this conversion without affecting speedo accuracy, still use the TPM system, and achieve a nice look. Cornering has improved dramatically which was the goal as I always drive the speed limit in town, for safety and the interest in retaining my drivers license.....
    So, now I can have my fun by just turning into the corner without reducing speed or braking as there is no body roll, no loss of traction, just the thrill of a super fast cornering experience and to see the wide eyes of people who have just witnessed this "little red car" turn at corner in town at 30mph !

Simply puts some fun back into driving and a smile on my face....... :)
    >" only part that applied to you was your suggestion that people should drive 65mph for the lower amount of stress. I realize that works for you, but that's in a 65mph state."

Don't believe I suggested that anyone else drive 65 for lower stress. I said it is less stress for me.

I live in a 70 mph state. Some drivers think it is an 80+ mph state. However, lately, more and more drivers are slowing down. Last trip we took, ( at 65MPH ) we were passing a lot more cars and 18 wheelers than in the past. Recon some folks are getting the idea. ;)

Kip