Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Engine questions

Comments

• havasuedhavasued Posts: 2
    just got off the phone with a buddy that has an 03 xf4 4.0 . He has heard the same from his truck at times and addressed the dealer about it at a visit. dealer said it was the timing chains making noise until the tensioners got pressure. Beleivable I guess when you consider this motor has a chain from the crank to the "jackshaft" (old cam location) and then a chain on each end of the jackshaft to drive the cams on each of the heads (front drives the left cam and rear drives the right cam) and then (!)one from the crank to the oil pump. 4 chains in total. How much noise can a chain make? times 3? don't think the oil pump chain has a tensioner.

Ed in havasu
  • ALL YOUR OEM REPAIR MANUALS ON CD-ROM
    IF IT'S GOT A MOTOR, WE GOT THE CD FOR IT/DIY SAVE BIG $$$$$
    THIS IS NOT GENERIC REPAIR INFORMATION! IT IS VEHICLE SPECIFIC.THIS IS THE EXACT SAME MANUAL USED BY TECHNICIANS AT THE DEALERSHIPS TO MAINTAIN,SERVICE,DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE. COMPLETE STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS, DIAGRAM'S, ILLUSTRATION'S, WIRING SCHEMATICS, AND SPECIFICATIONS TO COMPLETELY REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE WITH EASE! YOU GET EVERYTHING YOU EVER NEED ON ONE EASY-TO-USE CD-MANUAL. NO MORE FLIPPING THROUGH BOOKS TO FIND WHAT YOU NEED. PRINT ONLY THE PAGES AND DIAGRAMS YOU NEED. NO MORE GREASY PAGES OR TORN LOST PAPER MANUALS AGAIN. ALL PAGES ARE PRINTABLE, SO RUN OFF WHAT YOU NEED & TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE VEHICLE OR WORKSHOP. YOU CAN BLOW-UP IMAGES AND THEN PRINT OFF ENLARGED COPIES! THE CD CONTAINS ALL FORD SERVICE& REPAIR PROCEDURES. THE INFORMATION ON THE CD IS CONSIDERABLY MORE DETAILED AND ACCURATE THAN OTHER AVAILABLE MANUALS. THE CD CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
    A/C-HEATER SYSTEM - BRAKE SYSTEM - DRIVE TRAIN - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM - ENGINE SYSTEMS - EXHAUST SYSTEM - STEERING - SUSPENSION - ENGINE/VIN ID - A/C DIAGNOSIS - A/C COMPRESSOR SERVICING - A/C SYSTEM GENERAL SERVICING - A/C SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS - A/C -HEATING SYSTEM - AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM - AUTO TRANS DIAGNOSIS - CLUTCH - COOLING SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS - ENGINE COOLING FANS - CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM - DEFOGGER- REAR WINDOW AND MIRROR - DOOR LOCKS -POWER - DRIVE AXELS FRONT - ELECTRICAL COMPONENT LOCATOR - ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE - WARNING-BASIC INFORMATION - EMISSION CONTROL - INSPECTION PROCEEDURES - ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEEDURES - GENERAL COOLING SYSTEM SERVICING - MIRRORS-POWER - EXPLAINATION AND TEST PROCEEDURES - POWER WINDOWS - SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM - STARTER - STEERING AND ALIGNMENT - SUNROOF- POWER - SUSPENSION-FRONT - SUSPENSION-REAR - SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS - TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION - TRANSMISSION SERVICING - TROUBLESHOOTING - WHEEL ALIGNMENT SPECS - ALIGNMENT THEORY/OPERATION - WIPER/WASHER SYSTEM - EVTM- WIRING DIAGRAMS: CONTAINS ALL WIRING AND VACCUM SCHEMATICS - POWERTRAIN CONTROL/EMISSION DIAGNOSTICS MANUALS ALL ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONTROLS AND HOW TO DIAGNOSE AND TROUBLESHOOT THE SYSTEM, COVERS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DIAGNOSIS, PINPOINT TEST AND REPAIR PROCEEDURES. SERVICE MANUAL SECTION:
    POWERTRAIN, DRIVETRAIN
    GROUP 2 - 10
    FRAME MOUNTING
    ALL AVAILABLE ENGINES
    DRIVELINE
    ALL AVAILABLE TRANSMISSIONS
    CLUTCH SYSTEM/ MUCH MORE
    WWW.REPAIRMANUALSTORE.COM, FOR THE PRICE OF AN OIL CHANGE, DIY AND SAVE LOT'S OF MONEY, ALSO MANUALS FOR ATVS, MOTORCYCLES, BOATS, SNOWMOBILES, CARS, 4X4S, NISSANS, VOVOS, BMWS,F-150,F-250,F-350, MANY MORE. www.repairmanualstore.com">link title
  • oshawn1oshawn1 Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 3.0 and i changed the plugs and wires and it returned to normal. The engine light came off after a few miles. Now the engine light came back on the problem starting all over. I cant figure it out. I was wondering if you had fixed the problem yet? Theres a couple different people on this site with the same problem but I dont see an answer.
  • rbd008rbd008 Posts: 3
    I've been having an occasional hard start and constant rough idle on my 2002 3.0L Ranger Edge for about a year. I changed plugs, fuel filters, cleaned injectors, etc. but no change. Finally took it in to a good mechanic. He checked it out to confirm what he had already suspected: exhaust valve. My mechanic said Ford is having a problem with 3.0L's from around this year.
  • khoppekhoppe Posts: 1
    My vehicle is a 2002 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L 16 valve dohc and it's an LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle).
    The vehicle starts without any problem hot or cold. First start in the morning the idle speed is at about 1200 to 1300 rpm and then slowly return to its normal idle at about 8 to 900 rpm. the idle is smooth as silk and the engine performance is good for a 4 banger. After the vehicle reaches operating temp the idle begins to lope. Some times heavy enough to rock the vehicle but mostly just enough to aggravate the %$@# out of you and the engine performance poor. When at a stop the while loping the idle will smooth out and some times engine performance is good or bad. I have inspected the exhaust pipe and there is no soot evident so I suspect the vehicle is running lean. Incidentally it just passed the emissions test. I have cleaned the MAF, IAC and replaced the MAP. I have found no vacuum leaks. My brake booster was replaced due to a leak,; however, it did not correct the loping issue. No diagnostic codes have been tripped. I wish there was a way to test the complete system under load measuring components resistance will not tell you what it does under load also I am not a big fan of Diagnostic Codes on vehicles because there at too many variables in diagnosing the problem and could make some technicians lazy and not think beyond the codes. Please that is not an indictment of all technicians only the few and very far between that are out there Does any body have any suggestions, other than a can of gas and a match, on possible component failures or diagnostic techniques to locate a problem like this.

Thanks in advance to every one sharing their knowledge and expertise.
  • i dont know i had valvoline change it for me cuz me working i drive a truck for a living and i repair cars sometime and i dont have time to work on my own car i have heard that valvoline is [non-permissible content removed] when it comes to that i was told that it could be my cam chain theres 4 chains in the engine one for oil pump and two for the cam and one for something else but i guess they come lose until they get oil to tighten.. another question wile i have ur attetion i was told about putting synthetic oil on my truck but yet i was also told that u cant run synthetic if u dint break the engine in on synthetic my friend told me that when he did it to his car the car never made a sound even after he sold it so is it safe for me to put a synthetic oil in after i drain what i have in it out ???
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    People say a lot of strange, INCORRECT things about synthetic oil. In my opinion, you can put synthetic in at any time. Synthetic gives you better cold start protection and longer life (miles) between changes, compared to 'regular' oil.

For a 1998 Ranger 4 Liter, I'm not sure you even have an over-head cam, which would require a cam chain. I was thinking they changed to the overhead cam in about 1999 or 2000. You might have a chain driving a pushrod motor, but I'm not sure you even have a cam chain.

I've run Valvoline oil and thought it was ok. The problem with giving a vehicle to one of these oil change places, which I think is what you are saying you did, is you really don't know what they did unless you make a great point of telling them what you specifically want. They probably used 'bulk' oil, and who know what weight they used. If they ran out of 10-30, or whatever you should have in that truck, they might load you up with 20-50 if they had some lying around.
  • TIMING CHAINS BECOME LOOSE DUE TO THE TENSIONERS, THEY ARE MADE OF A PLATIC/NYLON MATERIAL AND WEAR OUT AROUND 100,000 MILES, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THEM A.S.A.P. BEST REGARD'S, REPAIR MANUALSTORE.COM
  • d112103d112103 Posts: 2
    In reply to message 153
    I am having the same problem on mine, same year, same engine, Off-Road version 99 Ranger, 4.OL OHV. I am getting a miss every once in awhile, I have changed my plugs, cleaned the mas, but still issue continues. I have also noticed a lack of power which I am wondering if I have a injector issue ?
    I have noticed that plug #4 seems to be always get black film around the outside.

Any suggestions ?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    One thing when switching to syn at high mileage is to watch for any oil consumption. If there is any above what was normal, I suggest you switch back to regular dino.
  • I have a 1994 ranger 2.3l engine, there is no spark at the 2 and 3 position on the coil I have t of them this one is the main one. I replaced the coil but still have the same problem. Any suggestions
  • Which side of the passenger side or driver? also when you get in and turn key to on position, the check engine light should be on, and when you start to crank it 1 sec later it should go off to verify your Crankshaft Position Sensor is working properly. coils for the left side is primary, ECM control driver side spark on and off at ramdom. everytime you do any replacement on truck please erase memory,or your still be running in memory code. I don't check this site much please let me know if you got this problem solve. Bill, Repairmanualstore.com
  • How do I reset the computer on a ford ranger 1994 2.3L
  • sorry how do I erase the memory on a ford ranger 1994 2.3L
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    If you mean the check engine light - pull the negative battery cable for a minute.

But if/when the computer 'sees' an out of range reading on a sensor, it will turn the light back on.
  • SINCE YOUR RANGER IS A 94, YOU WILL NEED TO FIND A FRIEND OR SHOP THAT HAS A OBD1 TO ERASE THE MEMORY. I AM NOT SAYING THIS WILL FIX YOUR ORINGAL PROBLEM, IT COULD BE YOUR CAM. REGARD'S, BILL
  • Thanks it was all great info. I will get it checkedout
  • I have a 2.3L, 4 cylinder, ranger. It dies as soon as it gets warm, and won't start again till it cools down. Does anyone have suggestions?
  • You didn't state year or mileage. A common problem is a bad distributor or bad ignition control modual for that symptom. Recomend troubleshooting when it dies and find out if you have spark, and injection pulse. Unlikely that it is a fuel pressure issue, but you can check it anyway. After warm up feel the distributor housing and see if it is hot to the touch. It should only be warm, not real hot. Check this and then re post with what you found. I'll tell ya how to troubleshoot it from there.
  • Hi, the engine is making lifter noise. We adjusted the valves according to the manual and it still ticks. Does this mean cam and lifter change? It uses water
    once a week w/ no visible leaks. Has fuel injection and a bardall solution in the fuel tank to help clean em. The plugs are new and gapped at .044 thou...Occationally it stays in 1st gear too long upon take off. Any input will be appreciated.
    AL
    Note: I am the 2nd. owner and have kept the oil changes regular, many thanks.