Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Engine questions

Comments

• grump1grump1 Posts: 27
    HELLO , I 'AM IN NEED OF SOME HELP HERE ...I HAVE A 1983 FORD RANGER 4x4 WITH A BAD 2.3 CARBURETOR MOTOR ... I JUST PURCHASED A 1988 FORD RANGER 2 WHEEL DRIVE WITH A FI 2.3 ENGINE IN IT.......I WOULD LIKE TO SWAP OUT MY 1983 CARB MOTOR FOR THE 1988 2.3 FI ENGINE ...
    WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO MAKE THIS CHANGE WORK ... PLEASE HELP , I WOULD LIKE TO GET THIS THING IN BEFORE WINTER COMES...

THANKS GRUMP1

Email Me At : grumpscustomz@hotmail.com
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Better place to ask would be Ford Ranger Engine swap. Also, as noted in the post box, please do not put your email address in your messages - we have no control over who will copy it and use it. If you want to reach someone off-site, their email address can be found in their profile (or ask them to make it visible). You may also use your CarSpace page for email - your page is http"//www.carspace.com/grump1 and your email address is the username "at" carspace.com

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• :confuse: The engine runs rough and misses. Had a check eng light. Misfire #3 had been a reocurring thing. Replaced all plugs, wires, PCv, coil pack, Fuel filter, cleaned MAF and did an emissions cleaning service. Now get an p1000 and p1464 codes. It still runs rough. Any sugestions?
  • I HAVE A 93 FORD RANGER WITH A 3.0 V6 ENGINE IN IT AND I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN PUT A FORD TAURUS 3.0 V6 IN IT AND IFSO WHAT YR. MODEL WILL I HAVE TO USE?
  • There were problems with these in the early years of 2000. with gears or chain wearing out at around 100,000 miles. Has this problem been solved and what year was it? I'm in the market for a good used Ranger around 2003 -2005. What should I be looking for as far as any problems I mentioned?
  • i need to now what the torque specification is
    rocker arm 1999 ranger3.0 v6 2 wheele drive
  • 19 - 28 foot pounds
  • My Ranger only has 38,000 miles on it, and when I sit idle (say at a stoplight) the engine shakes. The normal shaking does not bother me, but there is a definite whole engine shakes and it feels like a belt is loose/off but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    first of all , lift the hood up and check.
    second of all, when have you tuned it up last..?
    check your vacuum lines - see if any are off or cracked.
  • I just bought an 89 ford ranger with a 2.3 engine with 2 coil pacs. When I first drove it home it smoked for about 15 minutes and stoped smoking. It runs rough at an idle but when you increase the RPM's up to 1000 rpm's it smoothes out and there is no missing. I replaced the plugs and wires and it still misses at an idle but it smokes again and won't stop. It is a grey smoke. I did a pressure test on the coolant system and it shows a leak I think it is a head gasket. My question is if it is a head gasket and is repaired is the grey smoke going to go away or will it continue ? Also I understand it could be a bad cylinder. With running at a higher RPM's wouldn't it miss all the time if it is a bad cylinder. looking for a cheap fix

Terry
  • I was wrong on the RPM's on the previous post when I raise them up to 2000 RPM's its smooth. But it seems like its running rich also. Any help would be apreciated.

Terry
  • I just drove the ranger about 10 miles and the engine stopped smoking but it still misses at an idle. Is it possable that the cat converter is also causing me problems?

Terry
  • can someone tell me why ford would put 8 plugs in a four cyl. motor? ang then they make the 4 on the drivers side almost impossible to get out. was this one of fords better ideas?
  • My ranger 4 cyl with 168,000 miles runs perfect at speed but at low rpm it wants to stall. timing belt plugs and wires were just done and it started this after the wires and plugs????
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I can tell you the general reason for this design - pollution control. The plugs fire in the 'regular' fuel compression cycle for power, then the other plug for a cylinder also fires in the 'exhaust' cycle in an attempt to burn any unburned fuel before it is exhausted.
  • hoehhoeh Posts: 2
    89 ranger 2.9L I am looking for some help to find the order of plug wires on the distibutor cap can any one help
  • I will be driving my 05 ford ranger 4x4 level 2 and the motor will stop and then restart immediately without any fault showing up. I had it checked at the ford garage and they said four of the six cylinders were dropping out and the engine control module needed to be replaced. After replacing the module the truck continues to have the same problem.